ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Lindsay Whalen has been named the next head coach of Minnesota women's basketball team:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...len-named-minnesota-golden-gophers-head-coach

There were some speculations of her becoming the head coach before the hire, though some question her total lack of coaching experience. She is an excellent college and pro basketball player. Will she bring in her buddy Janel McCarville as an assistant?

Reactions: cyberhawk
I just saw that Coach Bluder mentioned in her ‘On Iowa Live’ interview last Monday that Megan and Hannah will be playing in the PanAm games this summer in Brazil. That’s something to anticipate during the off season!

I sure did, but it sounds like that NCAA rule restricting summer teams to a max of two players from the same college team will keep the GTL dead and buried for the foreseeable future. Did not help that UNI chose to stay away either.

I thought Iowa was going to have public scrimmages last summer, with the caveat that they could not advertise them. Did those ever happen?

With 13 players, and assuming Tania sits out , bringing it to 12, they would have enough for a 6 team GTL. I know the players missed it too.

Well, even assuming UNI sits out again, there are Coe, Mt. Mercy, Kirkwood, Cornell, St. Ambrose, etc. to draw from. Offhand I know we've had Luther kids, even Maryville (St. Louis), Bradley, plus a few of the more prominent HS kids. So, I agree, it should be possible to field 6 teams. I imagine Randy Larson could fill us in on the difficulties if he were here.

If I recall correctly, the last year they had the GTL (two summers ago), they only had five teams and a abbreviated schedule. Also they had some difficulty getting enough players to show up for the games and the level of the competition was lacking. The thing that I missed most last year was the feedback on the incoming freshman class.

Reactions: JAMAM
I just saw that Coach Bluder mentioned in her ‘On Iowa Live’ interview last Monday that Megan and Hannah will be playing in the PanAm games this summer in Brazil. That’s something to anticipate during the off season!
I think that I saw this reported on the KCCI tv news app. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I think that I saw this reported on the KCCI tv news app. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Pan-AM games aren't until 2019 in Lima, Peru. I couldn't find another USA team playing in the summertime on the USA Basketball site, unless I missed something.

I began to question the initial report after posting the comment and then couldn’t find anything else about it on the www. So what did Coach Bluder say or what were they trying to report?

Ohio St. looking for a new assistant coach... Haven't announced who is out/left but it would be a shocker if it isn't Kelsey Mitchell's dad.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Ohio St. looking for a new assistant coach... Haven't announced who is out/left but it would be a shocker if it isn't Kelsey Mitchell's dad.

Mitchell leaving would be a shocker. I remember when he was hired, I figured he'd be there 20 years. lol

Probably about time to start a new thread for 2019-2019, but here is a blurb about the B1G/ACC challenge.
Iowa Women's BBall‏@IowaWBB 20m20 minutes ago

The #Hawkeyes will take on Notre Dame in the 2018 ACC/Big Ten Challenge!
1f3c0.png
: Iowa at Notre Dame
1f5d3.png
: Nov. 29
1f4cd.png
: Notre Dame, Ind.

FSU last year, defending National Champs this year.

Probably about time to start a new thread for 2019-2019, but here is a blurb about the B1G/ACC challenge.
Iowa Women's BBall‏@IowaWBB 20m20 minutes ago

The #Hawkeyes will take on Notre Dame in the 2018 ACC/Big Ten Challenge!
1f3c0.png
: Iowa at Notre Dame
1f5d3.png
: Nov. 29
1f4cd.png
: Notre Dame, Ind.

FSU last year, defending National Champs this year.

Wow. Nothing like playing the defending champs. Opportunity knocks, I guess.

I began to question the initial report after posting the comment and then couldn’t find anything else about it on the www. So what did Coach Bluder say or what were they trying to report?
Two players are playing for the USA overseas. I believe it's an Athletes in Action team

Kathleen Doyle is not in the photo. She is in Spain.
Paula also went home to Spain for awhile. She's back.
Hannah did some work in Kenya.

Reactions: hawkahawk
That is sad news. I hope the multiple concussions that he had was not a factor. His twin sister used to work with me when she was a student research assistant at UI.

Some extremely sad news about a recent Iowa WBB player :(
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...rginia-johnson-of-city-high-has-died-20180623
Also being tweeted by Jeff Linder.

Virginia's Hawkeye career was cut short too by concussions, but I will never forget a home game she had against Purdue her freshman year. She hadn't played much, but Lisa put her in off the bench against undefeated Purdue and they couldn't contain her. You could see Sharon Versyp throw up her hands as if to say, Where did she come from? Iowa went on to a huge victory.

Virginia's Hawkeye career was cut short too by concussions, but I will never forget a home game she had against Purdue her freshman year. She hadn't played much, but Lisa put her in off the bench against undefeated Purdue and they couldn't contain her. You could see Sharon Versyp throw up her hands as if to say, Where did she come from? Iowa went on to a huge victory.
I watched it on TV, it was amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT