ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Yea, Davis got hurt in the second to last non-conference game. Then Meyer missed the first 6 games of the Big 10. And Sevillian missed the last game with Indiana. A healthy Tania would of really helped.

This is probably very biased. With Davis was probably non-conference paddy-cake teams. However I think with her we would have made the 16 or better.
They played 4 NCAA tourney teams (Elon, W. Kentucky, FSU, and Quinnipiac) with Davis. There were a couple of dogs in there.

Reactions: JAMAM and Row55
This is probably very biased. With Davis was probably non-conference paddy-cake teams. However I think with her we would have made the 16 or better.

You obviously aren’t familiar with teams Iowa played in pre conference. It was not the patty cake schedule Fran likes. Lisa develops a much more difficult preconference schedule

Reactions: JAMAM and BGHAWK
Not really funny of course, but their is a bit of wry, gallows humor to it. And it's been more than just knees - concussions, ankles, odd illnesses (e.g. Joann Hamlin's blood clot). ISTRC somebody blew out an Achilles tendon but have forgotten who it was. The injury bug has been hard on Iowa WBB over the years, and the W/L record has suffered for it.

Not really funny of course, but their is a bit of wry, gallows humor to it. And it's been more than just knees - concussions, ankles, odd illnesses (e.g. Joann Hamlin's blood clot). ISTRC somebody blew out an Achilles tendon but have forgotten who it was. The injury bug has been hard on Iowa WBB over the years, and the W/L record has suffered for it.
All fan bases think their teams suffer more injuries than others. Notre Dame has 3 players that would have been decent contributors miss either all or most of the season with acls this year, just to name one that actually did.

It looks like Iowa should continue to schedule MAC teams during pre-season. Buffalo is up 13 points at Florida State with less than 5 minutes to go. That's a bigger lead than what Iowa had against FSU and is later in the game. Also Central Michigan is blowing out Ohio State. Those two teams are coached by former Big Ten coaches fired from their jobs no less.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAMAM
Talking about firing coaches, this last game by Ohio State looks to be a good excuse for them to fire that one assistant coach after the season and bring in somebody else's dad.

Reactions: BGHAWK and JAMAM
All fan bases think their teams suffer more injuries than others. Notre Dame has 3 players that would have been decent contributors miss either all or most of the season with acls this year, just to name one that actually did.
We had a season where we lost 3 starters. As to Notre Dame I don't give a flip, their depth situation isn't comparable to ours.

We had a season where we lost 3 starters. As to Notre Dame I don't give a flip, their depth situation isn't comparable to ours.
Testing my memory. Were they lost for the full season? How long ago was that? Can’t seem to remember this circumstance.

Even with the sarcastic tone, this is far from being funny.

It wasn't sarcasm as much as frustrated disgust. I understand you don't know me from anything, but joking about kids suffering significant injury isn't exactly entertaining to me.

Testing my memory. Were they lost for the full season? How long ago was that? Can’t seem to remember this circumstance.

2005-06, Stacy Schlapkohl, Joanna Solverson and Jenee Graham, I think Graham might have returned later in the season. Which opened the door for Megan Skouby to be B10 Freshman of the Year.

Talking about firing coaches, this last game by Ohio State looks to be a good excuse for them to fire that one assistant coach after the season and bring in somebody else's dad.

Kelsey Mitchell has a twin sister that will be a senior next year, if in fact she is still on the team then, so, if so, that might buy the dad one more year.

And whose fault is that? Lisa's! You'd think she'd learn.

Hopefully she did learn because she di have a pretty full roster, and then Larson, Jennings, Cera left and Houston didn't stick it out. Again, hopefully she will get back to the maximum players allowed, 15.

Hopefully she did learn because she di have a pretty full roster, and then Larson, Jennings, Cera left and Houston didn't stick it out. Again, hopefully she will get back to the maximum players allowed, 15.
Lisa rarely uses her full allotment of scholarships saying it is too difficult to keep everyone happy in regards to playing time. With that said she's had several seasons where injuries & defections (recently both) have hurt the team. It got so bad one season not long ago the staff found Megan Considine playing rec ball & added her to the team. I'd like to see her use 14 scholarships & try to keep one available should a situation arise like the one with Kathleen Doyle a couple years back.

Last edited:
Lisa rarely uses her full allotment of scholarships saying it is too difficult to keep everyone happy in regards to playing time. With that said she's had several seasons where injuries & defections (recently both) have hurt the team. It got so bad on season not long ago the staff found Megan Considine playing rec ball & added her to the team. I'd like to see her use 14 scholarships & try to keep one available should a situation arise like the one with Kathleen Doyle a couple years back.

Agreed, a darned if you do and darned if you don't deal.

Bluder is average. Shows again tonight.
Bluder Named WBCA Regional Coach of the Year

It is the third regional coach of the year honor of Bluder's Iowa career (2001 and 2008).

This season, Bluder led Iowa to its 25th NCAA Tournament appearance. She has guided the Hawkeyes to 17 postseason appearances (13 NCAA and four WNIT) in her 18 seasons at Iowa, including NCAA Tournament berths in nine of the last 11 seasons. The Hawkeyes have advanced to the postseason in 11 consecutive seasons (nine NCAA and two WNIT).

Bluder guided the Hawkeyes to a 24-8 overall record and a third-place finish in the Big Ten Conference (11-5), overcoming injuries to three different starters throughout the season. Iowa's 24 wins marked the most for the program since tallying 26 in 2014-15. Iowa has registered 11 20-win seasons under Bluder.

On Nov. 10, 2017, Bluder collected her 700th career victory. She is one-of-10 active Division I head coaches with 700 or more victories and one-of-29 women's coaches to ever accomplish the feat. Bluder is one of 80 coaches (men or women) to win 700 or more contests.

Bluder is one of 10 Regional Coaches of the Year.

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2018/...er-named-wbca-regional-coach-of-the-year.aspx

How many final fours , elite eights, hell sweet sixteens? Settle for whatever makes you happy. She’s average.

Average is .500 winning percentage. Coach Bluder is 60+%. That is above average. That is not even debatable. She has not even had one average season. She has always been above average. Perhaps you could say she is not great (debatable) but without a better definition of average, there is no cogent argument for your assertion.

Reactions: JAMAM
How about Jennie Lillis Baranszyk sp ?
She's an excellent candidate. Her teams are aggressive and play hard.

Apathy really set in when that 5 seed and sweet 16 appearance. Bluder is top 25 in the nation in attendance. No real apathy to speak of.

Had Davis not hurt the other knee, and if Mohns would have been able to get back to 100 percent, we'd have had enough talent to win the B10 and get to the Sweet 16 IMHO. Ifs and buts, I know.

I wonder how many critics actually support the women and actually attend the games.

DY6CIXJXkAMNQue.jpg:large

Sweet 16, Bluder? Once or twice in 18 years?
You said “average coach”. That is just your unsubstantiated opinion, not a fact (but which you state as fact). There is no defense of your assertion. The only true measure of a coach is wins. Lisa has won 722 games in her 36 years as a head coach. That is more than 20 per year. She has won close to two thirds (2/3) of all the games in her HC career. That is not average. It is not just above average but well above average. Lisa has many lifetime coaching achievements that no average coach could ever attain. You can claim whatever you want, but without substantiation, it is nothing more than your opinion only.

And one more thing. The supporters of Iowa WBB on this thread are not settling any not than you are complaining. I think I speak for most when I say that we enjoy the Hawkeyes as much as possible as only one of many aspects of our lives and do not obsess about the few minor negative things like not making it further in the post season. Of course everyone would like the season to last longer, but one cannot allow that disappointment to mire themselves in misery. We have many other much more important and rewarding aspects to keep us positive and hopeful for the future. You should do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT