ADVERTISEMENT

WBB opens season with first practice

They got off to a good start this game. Had their bad stretch at the end. they had 75 points with 5 to play and only scored 5 more. Part of it was slowing down to run clock, part was subbing in, part was whistles.
Hannah and Tagyn played.

Not enough minutes available for players who deserve them - good problem to have.

Megan only played 10 minutes due to fouls. She had a two and another possible three point play wiped out by some sketchy call.
Lex was 8-8 from the field, including 4-4 from 3pt.22 points a career high.
Chase played very well, 16 points and 14 rebounds. Ally had 15
Foul trouble will probably be fairly common for Megan this year. She's young and quite aggressive.

In the first 3 games she a total of 4 fouls. Then yesterday she had 4 in 10 minutes. I thought 2 of the fouls were borderline. So there is hope. :)

The link provided for watching the The Lonestar tourney game Thursday (Thanksgiving) on Youtube does not show Iowa Women's Basketball even when I search. Is the game really going to be viewable?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC24_4oRV9Os2e0EZxpMeyPA
Tried that too with same results. Anyone know if any radio station will be carrying the game? Only thing I can find is the premium Iowa site. Seems a bit much for radio.

The link works fine. I always worry, waiting until game time.
The announcer is okay except for pronunciations:
ka STONE ik
KOOL ee
peg SHELL
BUTT ham

Good win for the Hawks. Watched some of the George Washington game, their guards are quick & their front court is aggressive & big - huge challenge for Iowa. Mohns went out with what looked like an ankle injury & didn't return while Smith wasn't dressed either.

Smith wouldn't play anyway. Mohn's injury isn't good. Coley and Kastanek played well. Megan had foul trouble again.

It certainly looks like Coley and Kastanek have stepped up in their playing so far this season. Coley had 22 points and 9 rebounds, and Kastanek had 18 points, making 6 three-pointers. The earlier chatter of putting some other players in the starting line-up instead of them appears moot now.

Watched the GW / Houston game yesterday. It's amazing how everyone we'll play this week pushes the ball full speed almost every possession. Usually they go all the way to the hole. It makes for some bad shots and some pretty ragged games. GW's big 6'5" center will rebound and bring the ball up herself. It'll be funny to see if Tania defends her.

GW bigs took over in the 4th quarter and second overtime. And we just missed shots in the 2OT. Great Game.

5-21 from beyond the arc, along with getting creamed on the boards. OTOH, Coley's improvement is fantastic, and when Gustofson gets settled in we're going to be tough in the post.

5-21 from beyond the arc, along with getting creamed on the boards. OTOH, Coley's improvement is fantastic, and when Gustofson gets settled in we're going to be tough in the post.
Gustafson played 10 minutes. Davis only 5. Anyone know why?

They were both gassed in OT. Jennings was 4-11 with 6 TOs and 2 assists. Not sure that's terrific.
Ha! They were not gassed...well no more than everyone else (on both teams) were. The only difference in the game was that GW has a Brittany Griner / Zowie B-like stud who made a couple huge shots. If Alexa or Ally or Whitney make their shots in the end we win. Six turnovers in 47 minutes, with as much as she handled the ball, is not a lot at all. Six steals however, twice as much as anyone else on either team, is terrific.

Hawks win over Houston 64-50. They looked like their legs were tired.
Carly Mohns had her best game with 11 points . Megan Gustafson played well. It was another physical game.

As if playing 3 games in three days wasn't enough test of endurance, Iowa [and also GW] played an extra quarter (double over-time) yesterday. Iowa seemed to endure the challenge better than GW did. After getting off to an early 12 point lead in the first quarter over Wright St, GW slipped a bit in the second and third quarters and then got beat badly in the fourth quarter and lost. Iowa, on the other hand was able to build a 15 point lead by half time and then hold on through the second half.

Carly's 11 points came in 19 minutes of play. Both career highs I believe. This could be just a glimpse of her future as a Hawkeye.

The Hawkeyes are relatively young and inexperienced and this is still early in the season, so they are still in the early stages (steep portion) of the learning curve. That fact has a couple of implications. First, the team will have different players (other than perhaps Ally) step up in each game (rather than the same 4 or 5 like the last couple years). Another obvious effect is that as the season progresses, the team should continue to improve significantly with each game. Finally, a trend that I predicted before the season, Iowa may have only three players average double figures in scoring, but have four or five players scoring in the upper single digits as a result of the better balance and sharing of playing time between the starters and the bench.

Dispite the heartbreaking loss to GW, which was not unexpected by me, they nearly won and really could (some might say should) have won, I was only slightly disappointed (mostly because they lost a double digit lead in the third quarter) but also still very encouraged by their furious comeback in the fourth quarter. I was also encouraged by the potential they showed throughout the Lone Star Showcase.

I would really like to make the trip to Charlottesville this next Wednesday night, but it is a two and half hour drive for me in rush hour traffic, so it is maybe a 50/50 possibility at best.

Regardless, go Hawks!

Last edited:
The Hawks were declared winners of the Lonestar event on a tie-breaker over GW.

Just heard Lisa on her call in show saying that Lex should have had 3 free throws with .5 seconds left in the 2nd OT against GW and the refs decided to just go to OT. I missed the circumstances leading up to that, but Lisa said she talked to several experts on rules and they basically told her "we were taken advantage of". It sounded like she started to say we ere screwed, which would have been appropriate, but changed her wording.

Iowa did an inbounds play with 2.5 seconds left in regulation. Lex got fouled with .5 on the clock and the foul was called. She should have been at the line shooting 3 , with one make winning the game. But the refs huddled up and waved the call off and sent it to OT. Lex would have won the game right there but Iowa got cheated out of a win.

Iowa did an inbounds play with 2.5 seconds left in regulation. Lex got fouled with .5 on the clock and the foul was called. She should have been at the line shooting 3 , with one make winning the game. But the refs huddled up and waved the call off and sent it to OT. Lex would have won the game right there but Iowa got cheated out of a win.

During the game on Saturday with Houston there was another bad call. I could read Bluder's lips and she said everything about this place sucks. Jensen had to settle her down. Later in the game when there was confusion about how many fouls Kali had the Houston coach said to the ref something along the lines of this is how everything here has went this weekend. Got the sense this tournament wasn't run the best. Overall the officiating was poor all weekend.

I was there - Lex's shot doesn't go in as the buzzer sounds. I didn't hear a whistle. The refs huddle as the teams head toward the bench and I see the woman ref say "I called a foul." The refs get together and look at the replay for at least 10 minutes. Me and everyone around me is confused about what they could be reviewing. The shot was clearly released before the buzzer so the foul would have clearly been before the buzzer. The PA announcer finally announces that they are reviewing to see whether the foul was before the buzzer. The Iowa bench is pretty excited because the foul was clearly before the buzzer and now Lex only has to make one of two shots with no time on the clock to win.

Eventually they say the foul was not before the buzzer. Bluder doesn't argue at all at the time??

You could argue Iowa was cheated. But if that foul was granted and Lex makes a foul shot, if I was GW I'd argue I was cheated -- because I don't believe there was a foul on the shot.

Here's what I think happened. They review the replay, they agree that the would-be foul was before the buzzer, but they see that there clearly should not have been a foul called on the play. A foul call isn't reviewable of course, so they sort of (wink wink) say the foul was after the buzzer. Very poorly handled, but probably the right result in the end.

Did they do the discount double check commercial.

You scratch your head, you act like it was a tipped ball, you act like the whistle didn't blow

Reactions: LinusPF
Good win for the Hawks last night, 85-73 over Virginia in the ACC/B1G Challenge. Lex Kastanek continued her scoring streak with 22, including 4-7 from 3pt. She is shooting 48% from the arc. She is averaging 13.5 ppg after only around 3 ppg over her first two seasons.
Ally had 18 and 7. Tania added 12. Megan Gustafson had 5 blocked shots in 11 minutes of play.
The B1G went 5-2 on the first night of the Challenge. Seven more game today, I think they can win 3 to take the Challenge.

Lex has been the pleasant surprise for me so far this season, and I couldn't be any happier. She is doing a pretty good job filing in for Melissa Dixon.

Lex played very well in GTL. I was hoping it would carry over. She was a top 70 recruit out of HS but battled injuries her first two years.
She had 30 total 3ptrs as a FR and Soph. She has 23 already this year!

What's going on with Whitney this year so far ? Has Tania gotten in her head ? I was hoping she would make a big step forward this year.

Both Whitney and Tania have started slowly with their shooting. I think both of them are still searching for their role.

Lex played very well in GTL. I was hoping it would carry over. She was a top 70 recruit out of HS but battled injuries her first two years.
She had 30 total 3ptrs as a FR and Soph. She has 23 already this year!

I remember you reporting her in the GTL, and like you was hoping she would continue, and so far she has. I didn't realize she was a top 70 recruit, but she's evidently healthy and proving herself.

I think Tania has shown more ability to score here early in the season.

No doubt- more to playing point guard than just scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT