ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

I started watching the state tournament during halftime of the Iowa-Nebraska game, and it reminded me how excited I am for Sharon Goodman in a couple years. She's athletic for a post, is great at keeping the ball high and finishing around the rim, and can impact the game defensively. I'd like to see her get more aggressive on the glass, but that'll come with age and more coaching.

I'm also a big fan of Megan Meyer. Unlike Makenzie, she looks to drive to the basket first and is fairly good at getting there and finishing. She also shoots well from three and the free throw line. I think she's a good fit for Iowa's system, as a guard who can handle the ball and facilitate. She's more of a natural point guard than her sister.

Defensively, she's strategically aggressive and can generate a few big steals or blocks. Think Kathleen Doyle in that regard, without as many fouls from the aggression. No idea if that defensive impact will translate to the college level, though.

Shateah Wetering is a really good athlete who is still fairly raw as a basketball player. Her combination of size, speed, and athleticism should make her a really good defender someday, and you can see flashes of that already with some of the steals she generates. I'm not sure she'll ever be a huge scorer, but she's developing a three point shot, and should earn plenty of easy layups in transition.
In college, she'll play as a 3 or as a stretch 4. She might be a player who doesn't see the floor much her first year or two, then comes out of nowhere to have a really good couple of years if she develops properly. Spending time with a college coaching staff should do wonders in that regard.

Reactions: JAMAM and cyberhawk
I've heard the coaches speak 2x's this year and have watched practice.I think they believe that Kate Martin will fill in a blank. She's GOOD.

Reactions: JAMAM
Thought I would add some 2019 names that are in Iowa's recruiting territory. from ESPN's 2019 Watch List:
Zoe Young 5-9 G IA
Grace Cumming 6-3 P IA
Kennedy Brown 6-3 P KS
McKenna Warnock 6-0 W WI
Rickea Jackson 6-2 W MI
Breanna Beal 6-0 W IL
Anaya Peoples 5-10 G IL

Courtesy of OakHawk from retired WBB recruiting thread. This list does not include Destinee Oberg 6'2" P MN, who I read in another forum had an Iowa offer.

[...] class of 2019 (soph in HS this year) post player Destiny (sp) Oberg from Holy Angels. Top 25 kid who also already has offers from the likes of Maryland, Iowa, Iowa St and TCU.

If anyone has any knowledge of her, I would be interested to know.
Watching Zoe Young in the 5A Championship, a MD verbal....is Lisa B finding better recruits? Asking for a friend.

Watching Zoe Young in the 5A Championship, a MD verbal....is Lisa B finding better recruits? Asking for a friend.
Young is really good and made the game clinching free throws, but I couldn't believe when I read that she makes around 50% of them. Not what is wanted for a point guard and I think that is what she was recruited for.

Never seen her play, just occasionally read about her. Is Grace Boffeli of North Scott a D-1 player and being recruited?

I've heard the coaches speak 2x's this year and have watched practice.I think they believe that Kate Martin will fill in a blank. She's GOOD.

I watched a couple of her games in the state tournament last year. From what I saw, she was decent to good at a lot of things: defense, rebounding, passing, ball handling, and three point shooting. She wasn't a huge scorer in high school, so I doubt she will be in college. Still, a player who can do a lot of things well is going to get minutes. I think she would've gotten into the rotation this year had she not gotten hurt.

I watched a couple of her games in the state tournament last year. From what I saw, she was decent to good at a lot of things: defense, rebounding, passing, ball handling, and three point shooting. She wasn't a huge scorer in high school, so I doubt she will be in college. Still, a player who can do a lot of things well is going to get minutes. I think she would've gotten into the rotation this year had she not gotten hurt.
Braydon, do you know if she’s being looked at by Iowa or any other D1 schools?

Braydon, do you know if she’s being looked at by Iowa or any other D1 schools?

My reply was about Kate Martin. If you're asking about Boffeli, looks like she's been offered by Truman State (D-II). No idea about potential D-I interest. Iowa already has Sharon Goodman in that class, so I kind of doubt they'll be interested, but who knows.

Got to watch a game McKenna Warnock played in a couple weeks ago, and I think she's going to step into a big role early on.

First off, she's 6'2', yet is very athletic for her size. Frankly, she looks more like a natural wing than a forward. That's going to create all sorts of matchup problems for opponents in college. They'll either need to guard her with an undersized wing or a post who probably isn't as quick as she is.

The best part of McKenna's game is her offense. She's good at attacking the basket, and can finish either at the rim or with floaters/short jumpers. She was one of her team's primary ball-handlers in high school, and as a result, she's very comfortable dribbling and facilitating. Her best offensive tool, though, is her shot. She shoots a very high percentage from three, and looks like a knock down shooter when left open. Even when covered, she's shown the ability to hit threes over defenders.

The knocks on her game are rebounding and defense. For the former, she's decent at positioning and boxing out, but doesn't always time her jumps well. She's also not the most aggressive rebounder. Defensively, it's mostly about effort. She isn't great at jumping passing lanes or blocking shots around the basket, and sometimes she's slow in her rotations. That could be a result of circumstances, though. She was her team's best player by far and played most of the game. She might have been saving something for offense, where she had a much bigger impact.

In college, she'll either play as a very stretch 4 or as an oversized 3. Think Ally Disterhoft, except McKenna is a couple inches taller and a better shooter, if a little less well rounded overall. Her offense will be a needed addition to next year's team, and I think the defense and rebounding can come around with coaching and a little more effort.

Reactions: cyberhawk
That was before my time, so I can't really say.

McKenna is similar to Johanna Solverson but a little bigger. Lets hope she isn't plagued by the knee injuries which kept Johanna off the court most of her career. Compared to Ally Disterhoft, McKenna is bigger, stronger, and has a much better shooting form than Ally did.

From what I know the Boffeli girl from North Scott isn't being recruited by Iowa. Iowa is in need of a few bigger players that can play the 4 even with Goodman coming in, can never have too much depth in the front court and next year's will be scary.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Is Annika Stewart on the radar? Did not know she existed until yesterday when she was on the court honoring her older, shorter sister. Google says she is a junior playing in Wyzata for a very good team, wearing #21, and putting up good but not phenomenal numbers.

Is Annika Stewart on the radar? Did not know she existed until yesterday when she was on the court honoring her older, shorter sister. Google says she is a junior playing in Wyzata for a very good team, wearing #21, and putting up good but not phenomenal numbers.

I read Annika (2020 6'3 post) has been offered by Minnesota but no idea if Iowa is actively recruiting her (post #253, 254, 255) http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...read-Videos-Analysis-Tid-Bits-Articles/page17

For the person asking about Zoe Young - EVERYONE was after her starting in her freshman year, which is when I first saw her name popping up. DSM Register doesn’t have the most in-depth WBB coverage, but that is when they started touting her.

Not surprised she went to a Blue-blood. I think The staff tried to get her.

For anyone interested in WBB recruiting, this is a fairly good site that aggregates published news and some rumors: https://wbbblog.com

You have to hunt for information that is Iowa related, though, because it discusses commitments and recruiting for a bunch of different D-1 schools.

Last edited:
5'10 shooting guard/wing who is known for having a strong work ethic, very good shooter, and has a high basketball IQ, Helped lead her North Tartan AAU team to a Nike National Title last summer. Now if she only could bring along her AAU teammate #1 2020 player Paige Bueckers with her!

Last edited:
5'10 shooting guard/wing who is known for having a strong work ethic, very good shooter, and has a high basketball IQ, Helped lead her North Tartan AAU team to a Nike National Title last summer. Now if she only could bring along her AAU teammate #1 2020 player Paige Bueckers with her!
This is a great get by Iowa. She also played PG in Bueckers absence while playing for team USA and was equally effective at PG as she was at shooting guard. The only crime was she, like Bueckers, played at their age level last summer, compared, to say Caitlin Clark and future Hawk Shateah Wetering, who played up at the highest level and won a NIKE National title last summer with All Iowa Attack. It wasn’t Jensen’s or Buecker’s fault though, as they were held hostage by a self serving coach, who threatened to take the whole team elsewhere if she wasn’t allowed to coach them. I’m not even sure if Jensen and Bueckers are still AAU teammates any longer. The aforementioned coach left North Tartan and last I heard (admittedly a while ago) that Bueckers followed the coach and Jensen stayed with Tartan. But, back to Jensen, certainly a huge get and could immediately step in for Mak Meyer upon graduation.

Reactions: conn53victor
This is a great get by Iowa. She also played PG in Bueckers absence while playing for team USA and was equally effective at PG as she was at shooting guard. The only crime was she, like Bueckers, played at their age level last summer, compared, to say Caitlin Clark and future Hawk Shateah Wetering, who played up at the highest level and won a NIKE National title last summer with All Iowa Attack. It wasn’t Jensen’s or Buecker’s fault though, as they were held hostage by a self serving coach, who threatened to take the whole team elsewhere if she wasn’t allowed to coach them. I’m not even sure if Jensen and Bueckers are still AAU teammates any longer. The aforementioned coach left North Tartan and last I heard (admittedly a while ago) that Bueckers followed the coach and Jensen stayed with Tartan. But, back to Jensen, certainly a huge get and could immediately step in for Mak Meyer upon graduation.

Thanks for the report. I thought sure she would be a Gopher after reading the article someone posted.

However, Lisa has a long history of taking great players out of the state of Minnesota. Krista Vande Venter (HM BT), Kachine Alexander (1st Team BT), Kamille Wahlin (3rd Team BT), Theirra Taylor (though career sidetracked by injuries), Bethany Doolittle (2nd Team BT) and Chase Coley most recently.

We need one or two bigs for 2020.
Sharon Goodman 6-3 instate post has committed as has 6'0 Shateah Wetering, I've seen her listed anywhere from 5'11 - 6'1. Here are the '20 bigs I know they are recruiting, there are likely others...

Taylor Lauterbach 6'6 Appleton, WI - Offered. Wisconsin just offered, as have Marquette, Iowa St, Kansas St, Illinois. Think Wisconsin and Kansas St. may lead right now at least.

Cameron Williams 6'2 Chicago, IL - Offered, highly sought after recruit, #18 overall prospect by ESPN. Has a lot of offers from ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, & most of the BIG too.

Madeline Westbeld 6'2 Kettering, OH - Offered, sister played at Notre Dame & #45 overall prospect by ESPN.

Lauren Ware 6'3 Bismark, ND - Offered, highly sought after yet to decide between volleyball or basketball, #38 overall prospect by ESPN.

Annika Stewart 6'3 Wayzata, MN - Not sure if she has an offer, she is Hannah's sister. Has a Minnesota offer reportedly, good shooter.

Does anyone have a sense of how many scholarships are available still for 2020? My math has them as full through 2020 but I could definitely be wrong.

*EDIT* After googling it, it appears the women's team can give out 15 scholarships. Is that accurate?

Last edited:
There could also be transfers in the off-season. Zion and Paula don't really have a clear path to minutes next year as of now. It's always hard to plan for transfers, but that's a benefit of having, but not using, two scholarships. If no one transfers and they land another 2020 recruit, she'll just occupy spot #14.

There could also be transfers in the off-season. Zion and Paula don't really have a clear path to minutes next year as of now. It's always hard to plan for transfers, but that's a benefit of having, but not using, two scholarships. If no one transfers and they land another 2020 recruit, she'll just occupy spot #14.

Zion came as a walk on and earned a scholarship, so I wouldn't count her as leaving.

Reactions: JAMAM
Is Zion Sanders still on scholarship? Lisa said it was "for the remainder of the year" in the video showing her announcing the news at a practice last season. She came to Iowa not even knowing if she was going to be allowed to walk-on so hopefully she stays regardless. With Zion on scholarship they could sign 5 players in 2020 if I'm looking at it right, 6 if she isn't on scholarship (3 commits already.)

The Hawks are still in on the 2 guards/wings listed above in (PG) Kapinus & (W) Calhoun. That doesn't include (PG) Caitlin Clark (#4 overall) & (W) Sydney Parrish (#11 overall & made her final list of schools). If they can get a commitment from one or even two of them that would be nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberhawk and JAMAM
ADVERTISEMENT