ADVERTISEMENT

We should impose these requirements for presidential candidates

Exactly. Your argument is that Trump would stop our election process in its tracks. That he would literally prevent anyone from challenging him so that elections are not allowed to take place at all.

You're like a caricature of a troll at this point.

Reactions: Chuck C
It was supposed to be an example that would make it perfectly clear to even you jack wagons what a dumb freaking idea that was.
In your example you said that Trump would just use it to stop any new elections. Stop with the act, Trad. You know exactly what kind of guy Trump is. It was one of your first thoughts when you got in the thread.

The 20 years tax returns is too much, in fact, if they pass the other stuff I don't need to see any tax returns. Not a big deal.

I do like the idea of adding some qualifications though, and passing a test of some kind. It's basically heading toward popularity contest at this point (if it isn't already there), and that's not good. I'd consider the same for House/Senate positions.

Ultimately, I believe the left would be against this (although it's clearly a lefty who came up with this), as they'd say it disadvantages minorities and those who grew up in crappy urban schools.

37360755_677946919256764_2780645411788947456_n.jpg

You have to find a way to get rid of their business holdings. Not just put them in trusts where they can hide managers, ala the Orange Turd, but prevent the Orange Turds and Romneys from owning politics.

You have to find a way to get rid of their business holdings. Not just put them in trusts where they can hide managers, ala the Orange Turd, but prevent the Orange Turds and Romneys from owning politics.

George Washington didn't sell all his business holdings.

Sounds like you want to keep the swamp then. I want leadership qualities, like alpha males.

18 months of this shit and you like it. There hasn't been scandal like this since Reagan and the heads haven't even rolled yet. Brace yourself.

The 20 years tax returns is too much, in fact, if they pass the other stuff I don't need to see any tax returns. Not a big deal.

I do like the idea of adding some qualifications though, and passing a test of some kind. It's basically heading toward popularity contest at this point (if it isn't already there), and that's not good. I'd consider the same for House/Senate positions.

Ultimately, I believe the left would be against this (although it's clearly a lefty who came up with this), as they'd say it disadvantages minorities and those who grew up in crappy urban schools.

A lot of what was in the OP is a bad idea simply because it's a bad idea. I don't hate the idea of ensuring that POTUS can get security clearance, except for the fact that it would simply turn into a political morass like everything else and we don't need to have the people responsible for approving clearance getting to choose who runs.

We've had Presidents of a lot of stripes. I think that's ok. As for qualifications, it's kind of a unique job without a lot of clear comps. There are similarities to CEOs (of publicly traded companies, not family empires), lawyers bring something to office. You look at the responsibilities - face of the nation, domestic policy, economic policy, foreign policy, global relations....there simply aren't other positions that have all of that. A lot of backgrounds give you some of the skill, but there's very little that gives you everything.

Correct, and as we learned how to be a nation, we set precedent that clearing as many potential conflicts as possible would be a good thing.

Yeah, let's make sure that NO ONE qualified ever runs for office again. Great plan y'all are working up, here.

Yeah, let's make sure that NO ONE qualified ever runs for office again. Great plan y'all are working up, here.

Um, it's nothing new. It's about trying to show that you're acting as POTUS in the interest of the country, not business. Trump made a big show about how his kids were going to run the business and he was going to be out of the loop.....only Don Jr and Ivanka (and Jared) are all over the White House and he has half his meetings at Mar-a-lago and other Trump properties. He's not even trying.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Who administers these "tests"?

While I can see your point with the security clearance issue. The basic knowledge of government test could be just a simple citizenship exam that we give to anyone who wants to be naturalized as a citizen.

Honestly if there wasn't such a negative racial history of tests I would say that everyone should have to pass that test to get the vote.

I don't know if you get this, but you just admitted that this new rule would backfire because Trump would use it to prevent anyone else from becoming President.

To me, this shows that you really do understand what kind of man Trump is. Your natural instinct is to assume that Trump would undo the Constitutional limits to declare himself ruler for life. Nobody else brought up this point. It is where your mind naturally drifted. That Trump would effectively use the rule to become a dictator.

I guess, at this point, I am left wondering why you continue to support Trump when this is your assumption of how he works?

No matter if it applies to Trump or not, it's a fair point that the rule could easily be used for those purposes by any president.

In fact a lot of dictators do the same thing. They put in place major requirements in order to be able to run against them that any potential threats are unable to meet.

Voting is supposed to be a popularity contest.

What’s the point of the tax returns?

In theory, it would point to income sources and show where a candidate might have interests.....but it's exactly a forensic accounting deep dive. It's going to show the financial institutions you use and it's going to show income sources and, assuming the person itemizes, where they donate money.

I don't care much about this one way or the other. While I don't get much out of it and it's just high-level stuff that isn't going to show very much useful detail, it's at least a head-nod towards transparency, even if it's really only symbolic. I'm never going to freak out if someone doesn't submit them, but it does say something when some candidates do and some don't.

Wow... that's what you got out of my post? Really???

If these limitations were hypothetically put in place because Congress suspected the President (i.e. Trump) was not mentally capable of holding office, do you really think they'd be so short sighted as to allow Trump the final say on who could be selected?

To continue defending Trump you've become nothing more than a troll.

What’s the point of the tax returns?
Releasing tax returns became common practice for all major presidential candidates since Nixon. Nixon released his to prove he was "not a crook". He paid like $800 in taxes while making 400,000 per year. The point of releasing them is that it can provide insight into potential conflicts of interest and liabilities. It is a bit suspicious to me that Trump is unwilling to release his tax records. It certainly seems like he has something to hide.

George Washington didn't sell all his business holdings.

Maybe not, but he did tell the truth about that cherry tree thing. trump hasn't told the truth about much of anything so far. Weird that you would bring GW into this.

It's a shit job that nobody wants to do and the OP want's to raise the requirements?....

It's a shit job that nobody wants to do and the OP want's to raise the requirements?....
20 years of tax returns is a bit excessive but these aren't particularly difficult hurdles. I mean I don't think a lot of candidates would be like "I really want to be President but I don't think I can put in the time to pass a basic Civics test."

No. The “testing process” will be abused.

OP has no faith in America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT