ADVERTISEMENT

"We will see a resurgence of the coronavirus in the fall. We won't have a vaccine for 12-18 months"

Yes. My dad is 70 and still going to work because it’s an essential job. My mom is retired, but my dads had a heart attack and they’ve both had cancer.

I am not naive enough to think that we can stop this any different than we can stop any other seasonal bug. It sucks, but that’s the hand we were dealt. Life isn’t always perfect.
Good luck to your parents. I hope that remain safe.

The changes/social distances is to slow the advance so that the number of seriously ill people is reduced to a number that our health system can handle. Otherwise it will get overwhelmed as it has in Italy and there will be more deaths because of lack of equipment. Do you understand this? It could be the difference of hundreds of thousands of lives.

For God's sake, use Google. I have posted several links already.

i realize that but when you are forced to jot down the numbers and then the percentages then compare all else that happens daily it really puts it in perspective.

If there was no news focus, would we know about this? Would we completely shut down our society? Just listen to the words used for every headline and story and compare that to the raw numbers.

Scientists are awesome and we should listen but that should not stop us from challenging assertions. Show your work on the ‘models’. Plenty of bad or disproven science too over the years. They are human and realize they have a captive audience right now which they can take advantage of for their own interests.

i realize that but when you are forced to jot down the numbers and then the percentages then compare all else that happens daily it really puts it in perspective.

If there was no news focus, would we know about this? Would we completely shut down our society? Just listen to the words used for every headline and story and compare that to the raw numbers.

Scientists are awesome and we should listen but that should not stop us from challenging assertions. Show your work on the ‘models’. Plenty of bad or disproven science too over the years. They are human and realize they have a captive audience right now which they can take advantage of for their own interests.
The stats I see are existing, not projections. The models are based on countries that have tried different approaches. The results are there already.

Compare Italy to some of the countries where the curve was much more flattened and you will see what I mean.

Reactions: perryhawk
The stats I see are existing, not projections. The models are based on countries that have tried different approaches. The results are there already.

Compare Italy to some of the countries where the curve was much more flattened and you will see what I mean.

Italy has just over 10,000 deaths from this in a country of 60 million people. That’s 1/10 of 1% of their population.

So...the virus is done in Italy? What is your point?

This is one of the major epicenters and use case with 1/10 of 1%. It’s not done, the number will continue to rise but that’s the real number at this time. I’m not sure people are really aware how many people roam this earth —- 7.7 billion and growing daily.

This is one of the major epicenters and use case with 1/10 of 1%. It’s not done, the number will continue to rise but that’s the real number at this time. I’m not sure people are really aware how many people roam this earth —- 7.7 billion and growing daily.
What is your point? That we use this to "thin the herd"? Are you volunteering to be in the thinned group? Have at it!

Reactions: owenhawk

I may be wrong....but it seems like there's a disconnect with your view of this in terms of numbers. These numbers actually represent real people. When you talk about 10 or 12,000 deaths...that is probably how many families?...with how many family members? How many friends and co workers does that affect? I just think that although numbers are important for analysis and trends, comparisons, etc...those numbers represent actual human beings....and I would guess that if a person actually witnesses the suffering of the victims and their families you would see those numbers in a completely different light. The doctors, scientists who study pandemics seem to be able to do that while understanding that this is a human toll that is being taken.

Reactions: owenhawk and BBHawk
I may be wrong....but it seems like there's a disconnect with your view of this in terms of numbers. These numbers actually represent real people. When you talk about 10 or 12,000 deaths...that is probably how many families?...with how many family members? How many friends and co workers does that affect? I just think that although numbers are important for analysis and trends, comparisons, etc...those numbers represent actual human beings....and I would guess that if a person actually witnesses the suffering of the victims and their families you would see those numbers in a completely different light. The doctors, scientists who study pandemics seem to be able to do that while understanding that this is a human toll that is being taken.
When Democratic governors stop exempting Planned Parenthood from doing elective abortions, we will know that they might actually care about stopping this virus.

Shutting down the Economy is going to have tremendous short and long term repercussions. Not shutting down the Economy and going about our daily business would cause tremendous loss of life (that could be minimized) and put a tremendous strain on our health care system. This is a horrible situation to be in and there is no good answer and probably no great outcome is in store for us no matter what we do.

When Democratic governors stop exempting Planned Parenthood from doing elective abortions, we will know that they might actually care about stopping this virus.
Wut?

When politicians stop using this as a way to enforce their personal beliefs, we will know that they really care.

Reactions: perryhawk
Lessons learned...

1. We sold out the American worker to save some bucks by outsourcing our manufacturing to China. Now when we need to crank it up to make ventilators, PPE, etc. we can’t. We are at the mercy of an untrustworthy country and we’ve lost our manufacturing ability and know how.

-> Bring back manufacturing mandating at least 25% of our goods are produced in the USA. Tax the crap out of anything not produced here when it comes in

2. We went to Just In Time inventory systems and did not recognize or identify important items that we must have more supply of at all times because some leader or accountant looked at their Excel sheet and cut costs to make more bucks

-> Just in Time = Just Out which is bad thing when it’s critical supply and coupled when it’s not made in the US

Lessons learned...

1. We sold out the American worker to save some bucks by outsourcing our manufacturing to China. Now when we need to crank it up to make ventilators, PPE, etc. we can’t. We are at the mercy of an untrustworthy country and we’ve lost our manufacturing ability and know how.

-> Bring back manufacturing mandating at least 25% of our goods are produced in the USA. Tax the crap out of anything not produced here when it comes in

2. We went to Just In Time inventory systems and did not recognize or identify important items that we must have more supply of at all times because some leader or accountant looked at their Excel sheet and cut costs to make more bucks

-> Just in Time = Just Out which is bad thing when it’s critical supply and coupled when it’s not made in the US
I agree with all of this, but it needs to be applied to critical goods. And the supply lines have to follow suit - does no good to assemble something here that uses parts from another country or vice-versa.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I agree with all of this, but it needs to be applied to critical goods. And the supply lines have to follow suit - does no good to assemble something here that uses parts from another country or vice-versa.

could not agree more ....

My wife got a fortune cookie once that still resonates to this day.

"To error is human, to remain in error is stupid."

Yes with the caveat that everyone does so at their own discretion. If you are older in the high risk category and/or have a pre-existing condition then you need to consider distancing and be extra careful. Concessions need to be made by employers. Everyone needs to follow the hand washing, coughing, etc and provide as much distance as possible.

The far more damage is what Is being done than the virus itself. Everyone assumes continual bail out by someone else. The numbers don’t support this.

Ask questions on both sides instead of just accepting words. Does the information provider have any skin in the game? Is there a golden goose benefit that media gets by having a massive news story with the country shut down including sports?

Good luck to your parents. I hope that remain safe.

The changes/social distances is to slow the advance so that the number of seriously ill people is reduced to a number that our health system can handle. Otherwise it will get overwhelmed as it has in Italy and there will be more deaths because of lack of equipment. Do you understand this? It could be the difference of hundreds of thousands of lives.
Just what we need another optimist LOL

Just what we need another optimist LOL
Hardly. I live in one of the last 4 states to not have a shelter-in-place order. We have an ignorant, Republican governor who is willing to sacrifice her state's people to avoid looking stupid but she is just making her opponents' case. She was not prepared to be governor.

Last edited:
The 19 will slow dramatically this summer. Late spring actually. Things will return to normal.... Then The 19 will migrate back north in early Fall. Football will be cut short....

The virus will be disruptive, however we will have enough herd immunity to continue on with our lives after a month of shelter in place...

That, OR, it will mutate into something like SARS with a CFR (kill rate) of 10%, which ch will lead to chaos and a major depression... Or worse a MERS with a CFR of 37. Which will lead to a anarchy.

Both were coronaviruses.... Time will tell

One of the doctors on tonight's NBC News Special just said this.

Makes you wonder about the 2020-2021 fall and winter sports.

I appreciate everyone trying their best but in a few weeks the country is going to realize that a few hundred thousand or million people aren’t worth it. It sucks, but so do all the other ways that people die.

Thank you...sorry not sorry. More ppl will die from car accidents heart disease cancer etc. Bottom line is this country doesn't hold life valuable. More ppl will die from drug overdose. If the CDC cared as much about drugs and heart disease as this bug...things may be different in terms of foods we can and can't eat.

I just think this is very interesting how we are numb to ppl dying from "natural causes" but when this happens everyone looses their common sense mind. They are seeing way more people have it and didn't know they were sick...why..cuz they are healthy.
If i get sick and if i die, I know where I'm going. My confidence in that is waaay more important to me then some new flu bug.

So again sorry not sorry. People DIE everyday.

People die every day bud.

Thank you...sorry not sorry. More ppl will die from car accidents heart disease cancer etc. Bottom line is this country doesn't hold life valuable. More ppl will die from drug overdose. If the CDC cared as much about drugs and heart disease as this bug...things may be different in terms of foods we can and can't eat.

I just think this is very interesting how we are numb to ppl dying from "natural causes" but when this happens everyone looses their common sense mind. They are seeing way more people have it and didn't know they were sick...why..cuz they are healthy.
If i get sick and if i die, I know where I'm going. My confidence in that is waaay more important to me then some new flu bug.

So again sorry not sorry. People DIE everyday.
You just don't get it.

There is a new term for people who are just ignoring the benefit from flattening the curve.

Covidiots.

You can thank Larry David for that one.

People die every day bud.

I know, I've seen it first hand. That's why I make the comments that I made.

I have to admit that I don't understand that way of thinking, that making every effort to reduce and deter every unnecessary death is not something we should try and do or not worth while, or worse yet that money is more important than life.

Lessons learned...

Remember when Trump was raked over the coals for the tariffs he put on China? Seems he had the right idea all along.

ADVERTISEMENT