ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend visitors...

I remember when the board actually had information, you could actually find out things here first. Now it's become donate for this, donate for that, penn st, donate again. I can see why many haven't returned
Cynicism isn't a real good look. Always better to stay positive. Better yet to hop on board and give the HWC and Iowa wrestling a financial boost, if that's possible.

I assume everyone realizes this, but fundraising efforts for the HWC aren't just for our health -- they're absolutely critical to the success of the HWC, which is critical to the success of Iowa wrestling. If we had a choice, we wouldn't even mention fundraising. But this is the world we live in. We either get after it or we give up. Iowans don't give up.

As for the information on this board, there's still plenty of good info. As always in recruiting, though, things can and do change on a moment's notice.

Last edited:
I'm kind of a fan of the Big Cass way of recruiting. Honestly, a guy I knew nothing about, heard nothing about and bang, he's a hawk and had a pretty dominate last year and performing well yesterday and today.

Unfortunately, we 'miss' some guys we aren't even going after because of rumors. That's like saying I missed on Jessica Alba.

Cynicism isn't a real good look. Always better to stay positive.

As for the information on this board, there's still plenty of good info. As always in recruiting, though, things can and do change on a moment's notice.
I apologize....I'm apparently on my period.
To me it seems that those that are "in the know" are Keeping things to themselves now a days

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I'm kind of a fan of the Big Cass way of recruiting. Honestly, a guy I knew nothing about, heard nothing about and bang, he's a hawk and had a pretty dominate last year and performing well yesterday and today.

Unfortunately, we 'miss' some guys we aren't even going after because of rumors. That's like saying I missed on Jessica Alba.
Does anyone have any idea who we are in on. PSU landing half the top ten and Iowa being skunked isn't very assuring? Did we offer the Florida kid, sasso or anyone?

I have it from a very credible source that the savior is coming in 2021.

Is this guy your source:
220px-Harold_Camping.jpg

Mike - not trying to argue, but if you don't like the "donate" posts then don't view them. There are many other posts to view. WWDM and others are seriously crushing the fundraising and raising the awareness of the current playing field to help get the Hawks back on top. If you think status quo will get there, I am sorry proof is in the pudding. You don't have to donate, but as a fan then don't complain about people who do. There is no question (as posted on another link) that not only Hawks but basically all wrestling fans come to this site for info. and to offer opinions. I have no dog in the fight, but I do know that this is by far the best site in wrestling, and also that WWDM and others have surely raised the bar in an effort to get the Hawks back on top. My 2 cents.

And Mike, I don't disagree with you. PSU landing half the Top 10 while having 5 returning champs in which 2 are soph, 2 are jr and the sr is on the World Team doesn't sit well. To WDM point, you can whine about it or help out. I don't know many people (by choice) that whine about getting beat and do nothing about it. Put your big boy pants on and find a way.

Mike - not trying to argue, but if you don't like the "donate" posts then don't view them. There are many other posts to view. WWDM and others are seriously crushing the fundraising and raising the awareness of the current playing field to help get the Hawks back on top. If you think status quo will get there, I am sorry proof is in the pudding. You don't have to donate, but as a fan then don't complain about people who do. There is no question (as posted on another link) that not only Hawks but basically all wrestling fans come to this site for info. and to offer opinions. I have no dog in the fight, but I do know that this is by far the best site in wrestling, and also that WWDM and others have surely raised the bar in an effort to get the Hawks back on top. My 2 cents.
I'm all for donating and have over the years donated more than my fair share. Crushing it is an understatement. They have raised the bar.
I was saying instead of ppl sharing their inside info they have its all "I know but can't tell" bs anymore.
I never once complained about anyone donating so let's not go that direction

I'm all for donating and have over the years donated more than my fair share. Crushing it is an understatement. They have raised the bar.
I was saying instead of ppl sharing their inside info they have its all "I know but can't tell" bs anymore.

The reason posters don't share a lot of inside info is because it gets thrown back in their face when it doesn't come to fruition. If I had inside info, I wouldn't share it either.

And Mike, I don't disagree with you. PSU landing half the Top 10 while having 5 returning champs in which 2 are soph, 2 are jr and the sr is on the World Team doesn't sit well. To WDM point, you can whine about it or help out. I don't know many people (by choice) that whine about getting beat and do nothing about it. Put your big boy pants on and find a way.
My big boy pants lol. Have put plenty of money in over the years.

The reason posters don't share a lot of inside info is because it gets thrown back in their face when it doesn't come to fruition. If I had inside info, I wouldn't share it either.[/QUOT
I would venture to guess more people would be excited about donating if they were excited about possible recruits coming in. Perhaps a board similar to football recruiting one used.

If I ask this way will someone answer? PSU has 5 of top 10 already committed for 2018. Aside from GT can anyone definitively say who Iowa is after to counter that?

I think it's just one of those things...New or infrequent posters come on here and are like "WTF!!! We're Iowa...how come we are getting dominated in recruiting?" Hear it all the time and when they get some blowback, we usually hear that Brands isn't doing his job and we are all homers blah blah blah. Thing is, these conversations have been had ad nauseum on here...

Most, at least the regulars, are in acceptance of what PSU has been able to accomplish in recruiting and are trying to give our coaches some ammo for the fight. Instead of just bitching about it, we raised $100,000 in just over a month for HWC...from this board and its posters. One of our guys, a successful businessman from Colorado donated 50 of that plus pledged another million. He, along with others are spearheading a rejuvenation of the program in the following areas:

HWC-Not only does PSU have its current and past hammers from 2011 on but they brought in Varner, a Japanese guy, and now have Gwiz. Its my understanding that one guy funds the ahem, lion's share of the NLWC. If you are a stud non lightweight wrestler, why go to Iowa with it's paltry funding when you know that you will probably make $50K just wrestling right after college. $$$ will allow us to get post grad guys in plus a future path for recruits. Instead of just a few former Hawks wrestling in the HWC along with funds from Titan Mercury or another club, we can now go hunting for bigger named wrestlers to come in and roll with our team. Hiring Mark Perry was a direct result of HR doing what we did.

Facilities-It might surprise you to find out that Iowa is not even in the top five for facilities in the country. Given our history and overall fan support, pretty crazy, right? Rumor has it, when they did the revamp of Carver, Iowa wrestling did not get a lot of what they wanted. Now, the goal is to raise $20 Million for our new facility...make it the best one in the world.

So...I have seen you post here and there in the past but you have just been posting frequent as of late. This doesn't mean I think you are any less of a fan. Many great Hawk supporters come on here for info. However, some get behind on the info and I think Gable brought a sense of entitlement with all of the success that he had. We Iowa fans think winning titles is our birthright and when it's year seven without one, we are like "WTFO?" Come to find out that unless we have an Uncle Sugar handing out money...it's not an entitlement. Welp...there is work to be done by both the staff and the fans. Welcome to the Jungle my friend...https://www.hwcdonor.com/

I see a lot of stuff posted here.. but in regards to recruiting.. none of us ( including me) get the "real story" . Last year we had the #1 class.. we can't do that every year.. but the coaches are recruiting hard.. they are active,engaged and putting a lot of time and effort in.

It is fairly early..lots of recruits haven't made official visits yet.

This is a process.. and just like building the HWC overnight won't happen..

Plus coaches can't defend themselves to this forum on reasons/strategy behind the process.

I'm as impatient as anyone..and I want to win now.. but I also see what goes on behind the scenes. Our staff is making progress , making good decisions in my opinion.

Much of that can't be explained publicly-- but all we can do is support our staff and our athletes.

We will get there..I'm sure of it

You and I both missed out on Jessica Alba, although I won't say the same about Halle Berry.

To me it seems that those that are "in the know" are Keeping things to themselves now a days
I guess donating to the HWC is the only way you'll find out or just go to Rev Wrestling. Know it alls who don't really know it all. Right Chief

Mike - I wasn't ever saying you haven't donated. I was more sticking up for what WWDM and others have done in a short period of time so was in response to your complaint about all the donation requests on the board that's all. We are all on the same team buddy. Go Hawks.

I have never said donating is bad. I just stated there's an abundance of donating threads on this board....in comparison to recruiting information.

I just want to know what steps Iowa is taking to combat(specifically PSU) in recruiting.

There 2018 class negates our last three...so who we after?

Yes yes yes I get it. Wrestling has turned into an arms race. Money money money. And those of you who do the fundraising will never be appreciated enough.(not sarcasm) fundraising is b@@@@

I have never said donating is bad. I just stated there's an abundance of donating threads on this board....in comparison to recruiting information.

I just want to know what steps Iowa is taking to combat(specifically PSU) in recruiting.

Yes yes yes I get it. Wrestling has turned into an arms race. Money money money. And those of you who do the fundraising will never be appreciated enough.(not sarcasm) fundraising is b@@@@

it's great they have 5 of the top 10 and 5 already champs there...but they can still only wrestle 10 weights, just like everyone else.
Pretty soon, the #1 this year is going to be replaced by the #1 next year or the #1 next year is going to look at their lineup and say no thanks...evenutally, the well is going to run dry.

I'm not saying Iowa needs to land all these guys (although I wish they would), but we need help from the other schools to land the big fish and knock out PSU.

It doesn't have to PSU vs Iowa right now...it's PSU vs the rest of us.

it's great they have 5 of the top 10 and 5 already champs there...but they can still only wrestle 10 weights, just like everyone else.
Pretty soon, the #1 this year is going to be replaced by the #1 next year or the #1 next year is going to look at their lineup and say no thanks...evenutally, the well is going to run dry.

I'm not saying Iowa needs to land all these guys (although I wish they would), but we need help from the other schools to land the big fish and knock out PSU.

It doesn't have to PSU vs Iowa right now...it's PSU vs the rest of us.
I get that everyone hopes the well runs dry. That's great in theory but I'm not sure that reality.
Most ppl on here wrestled. They aren't scared of competition in the room.

I think it's just one of those things...New or infrequent posters come on here and are like "WTF!!! We're Iowa...how come we are getting dominated in recruiting?" Hear it all the time and when they get some blowback, we usually hear that Brands isn't doing his job and we are all homers blah blah blah. Thing is, these conversations have been had ad nauseum on here...

Most, at least the regulars, are in acceptance of what PSU has been able to accomplish in recruiting and are trying to give our coaches some ammo for the fight. Instead of just bitching about it, we raised $100,000 in just over a month for HWC...from this board and its posters. One of our guys, a successful businessman from Colorado donated 50 of that plus pledged another million. He, along with others are spearheading a rejuvenation of the program in the following areas:

HWC-Not only does PSU have its current and past hammers from 2011 on but they brought in Varner, a Japanese guy, and now have Gwiz. Its my understanding that one guy funds the ahem, lion's share of the NLWC. If you are a stud non lightweight wrestler, why go to Iowa with it's paltry funding when you know that you will probably make $50K just wrestling right after college. $$$ will allow us to get post grad guys in plus a future path for recruits. Instead of just a few former Hawks wrestling in the HWC along with funds from Titan Mercury or another club, we can now go hunting for bigger named wrestlers to come in and roll with our team. Hiring Mark Perry was a direct result of HR doing what we did.

Facilities-It might surprise you to find out that Iowa is not even in the top five for facilities in the country. Given our history and overall fan support, pretty crazy, right? Rumor has it, when they did the revamp of Carver, Iowa wrestling did not get a lot of what they wanted. Now, the goal is to raise $20 Million for our new facility...make it the best one in the world.

So...I have seen you post here and there in the past but you have just been posting frequent as of late. This doesn't mean I think you are any less of a fan. Many great Hawk supporters come on here for info. However, some get behind on the info and I think Gable brought a sense of entitlement with all of the success that he had. We Iowa fans think winning titles is our birthright and when it's year seven without one, we are like "WTFO?" Come to find out that unless we have an Uncle Sugar handing out money...it's not an entitlement. Welp...there is work to be done by both the staff and the fans. Welcome to the Jungle my friend...https://www.hwcdonor.com/
I liked this post only because it is well written and from the heart. Great job!!

I liked this post only because it is well written and from the heart. Great job!!
I'm still trying to figure out what "WTFO" means...

Even bigger is how"creative" the money can be and is used. With only 9.9 scholarships to give hard for any school to continue getting that many top rated kids unless they all have rich parents and or rich uncles. Or.....

No hard feelings! It's all good. We're all on the same team. We'll be all the stronger as long as we're all pulling in the same direction.

Very kind words, Kujawa, but as you know, this effort isn't about any individual or even any group of individuals. It's about a team effort, and that team includes each and every Iowa wrestling fan out there. We all pull together, and nobody can stop us. It's happening -- it just won't happen overnight. We'll get there.

I see a lot of stuff posted here.. but in regards to recruiting.. none of us ( including me) get the "real story" . Last year we had the #1 class.. we can't do that every year.. but the coaches are recruiting hard.. they are active,engaged and putting a lot of time and effort in.

It is fairly early..lots of recruits haven't made official visits yet.

This is a process.. and just like building the HWC overnight won't happen..

Plus coaches can't defend themselves to this forum on reasons/strategy behind the process.

I'm as impatient as anyone..and I want to win now.. but I also see what goes on behind the scenes. Our staff is making progress , making good decisions in my opinion.

Much of that can't be explained publicly-- but all we can do is support our staff and our athletes.

We will get there..I'm sure of it
Couldn't agree more! Especially with the last sentence. It's just a matter of time.

Even bigger is how"creative" the money can be and is used. With only 9.9 scholarships to give hard for any school to continue getting that many top rated kids unless they all have rich parents and or rich uncles. Or.....

When you get World Champs for free the scholly money isn't a factor. Kids are going there for nothing or next to nothing. Time for us to stop using the 9.9% as a crutch.

When you get World Champs for free the scholly money isn't a factor. Kids are going there for nothing or next to nothing. Time for us to stop using the 9.9% as a crutch.
You are dreaming if you think kids are getting nothing. Who said anything about it being a "crutch"? No money makes it harder to recruit. Maybe you think we should become "creative" as well.

You are dreaming if you think kids are getting nothing. Who said anything about it being a "crutch"? No money makes it harder to recruit. Maybe you think we should become "creative" as well.

Not dreaming, it's a fact. There is at least one hammer in their 2017 class getting nothing. They've also turned down another kid in this year's class that has been mentioned on this board quite a bit. He contacted them. So, as a matter of fact, you're dreaming if you think kids aren't willing to go there for "nothing".

And no s@#t recruiting is harder with no money.

Get "creative"? Yes, I think we should get creative. Especially if getting "creative" means giving recruits a plan rather than saying "don't worry about the weight, it'll all work it's self out" or "it doesn't matter the weight because winners find a way".

Love our recruits this year, but we are missing on another highly touted and loved recruit right here in Iowa because of this tactic.

I'll sit back and keep dreaming while you sit there and hope.

Not dreaming, it's a fact. There is at least one hammer in their 2017 class getting nothing. They've also turned down another kid in this year's class that has been mentioned on this board quite a bit. He contacted them. So, as a matter of fact, you're dreaming if you think kids aren't willing to go there for "nothing".

Get "creative"? Yes, I think we should get creative. Especially if getting "creative" means giving recruits a plan rather than saying "don't worry about the weight, it'll all work it's self out" or "it doesn't matter the weight because winners find a way".

Love our recruits this year, but we are missing on another highly touted and loved recruit right here in Iowa because of this tactic.

Which PSU hammer is getting no scholarship money and what is your source?

you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention-leonardo-dicaprio-django.jpg

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT