ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend visitors...

Kudos to you if you are one. No snark intended. Just haven't seen you as one before.

Still waiting for him to reply with an answer to which PSU hammer isn't getting scholarship money and what his source is.

Wasn't this one of the guys either posting or liking posts complaining about people making vague recruiting "insider" comments without any details?

Still waiting for him to reply with an answer to which PSU hammer isn't getting scholarship money and what his source is.

Wasn't this one of the guys either posting or liking posts complaining about people making vague recruiting "insider" comments without any details?

You'll keep waiting.

And no.

If he's referring to Verkleeren, it's public knowledge. From Verk's high school coach, "There is an opportunity for him to earn a scholarship. It depends on how well he does."

See link below. I don't believe the part about Verk getting full ride offers from the other schools (was probably offered a partial scholarship), but I can believe the coach's quote about him getting nothing from PSU.

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...empfields-verkleeren-to-wrestle-at-penn-state

Last edited:
If he's referring to Verkleeren, it's public knowledge. From Verk's high school coach, "There is an opportunity for him to earn a scholarship. It depends on how well he does."

See link below. I don't believe the part about Verk getting full ride offers from the other schools (was probably offered a partial scholarship), but I can believe the coach's quote about him getting nothing from PSU.

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...empfields-verkleeren-to-wrestle-at-penn-state

I said this a month ago. It' not always about the money with the star wrestlers. They want to win championships. If you can produce national champs on the reg like PSU has guys will take little to no money to go win a championship. These top recruits only care about winning. Right now at PSU you win. Odds are if you make the lineup you may lose 3 matches or less every year and odds of you only 5 or less on the reg is even better.

Right now we have Brands & Cassioppi. We landed a VERY good stop gap at 149 in Lugo, so landing Sasso would be nice but not necessary. Getting a top level HWT is just huge and the more I watch Cassioppi the more I like him. He is WAY more athletic than he looks. He moves extremely well for a HWT and has several different high level takedowns. I would not be surprised if he ends up being the best of this unreal crop of HWTs in this class. Yes even Gable. If we land Teske and Hidlay, this class would be a great follow up to last years #1 recruiting class. And if Mejia gets into Iowa by 2019 Teske is really just a bonus as well. I think Hidlay is the missing piece to this class.

Yea, I'm not sure how Cass has all of a sudden become a cant miss recruit. He isn't at the same level as Stevens, Nevills or Parris. Seems like some of you guys are reverting back to the idea that you can recruit guys ranked in the 30s and make them better then top 10 guys.

Yea, I'm not sure how Cass has all of a sudden become a cant miss recruit. He isn't at the same level as Stevens, Nevills or Parris. Seems like some of you guys are reverting back to the idea that you can recruit guys ranked in the 30s and make them better then top 10 guys.
Serious question. Why do you think Nevills & Parris are a notch above Cass? I think after the Pan Ams and this weekend Cass could very reasonably be considered the #2 HWT. What are their best wins? Do they have head to heads? Have you actually watch Cassioppi wrestle?

Top 10 P4P is great but you can't live and die by it. Cassioppi wasn't on many of our radars because he was an early commit to NW. He was when he stomped Castillo at Folkstyle Nationals. And again when we signed him. I have been super impressed with his skill set and hope he catches Parris or Nevills if they show up at any of these national events. Would not be surprised if Cass is top 10 P4P by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Agreed not on Gables level but Gable is also on the Lee/Hall level. Cass is on the Nevills/Paris level similar to how Stoll was lower ranked than Haines and older Nevills but definitely on there level minus injuries.

Is Gable a full sized HWT? If not, close enough to be with some college weight training? I know he is super athletic and could probably be dangerous at 220, just wondering. I have no idea of his size.

Appreciate the details and source! If this is the guy bkcntry-hawk was referring to, then idk why he would be hesitant to list a source or name if it's already public knowledge.

I hope he doesn't. If people started disclosing their sources, then they probably wouldn't hear much more from that source. This goes back to the other thread about not getting as much "inside info" anymore. As soon as someone says some info that would be considered "insider", we are quick to question sources and blast the person that it's just a rumor. Then those people stop providing that info to everyone. Sure, some of that info doesn't pan out, but sometimes it does. We all just need to relax a little on the sources, and just see how some of it actually ends up, then we can re-assess from there.

I hope he doesn't. If people started disclosing their sources, then they probably wouldn't hear much more from that source. This goes back to the other thread about not getting as much "inside info" anymore. As soon as someone says some info that would be considered "insider", we are quick to question sources and blast the person that it's just a rumor. Then those people stop providing that info to everyone. Sure, some of that info doesn't pan out, but sometimes it does. We all just need to relax a little on the sources, and just see how some of it actually ends up, then we can re-assess from there.

I agree completely. My point is that if it's already public knowledge like BruceK-PSU linked with Verkleeren, then why be vague? I'll assume bkcntry-hwk is talking about another guy. Which would mean PSU has 2 hammers in the 2017 class who committed without scholarship money. I'll speculate it's Berge possibly.

Bkcntry-Hawk post on Berge:
"I can't speak directly on many recruits, but I can on the Berge situation. The coaching staff completely dropped the ball on that and it will come back to bite us."

If PSU got Berge and Verkleeren without any scholarship offer, that seems nuts.

Appreciate the details and source! If this is the guy bkcntry-hawk was referring to, then idk why he would be hesitant to list a source or name if it's already public knowledge.

Not my "source", but I'm gonna let you run with it because out of my entire OP you picked out the one thing that 90% of this board already knew. Maybe run through my post history and create a timeline to see if I know what I'm talking about. I'll make it easy for you. Start with Lugo.

*side note* you're crazy if you think anyone is going to cite where they've heard their information (if not from a got damn article lmao) or who their source is. It has happened recently on this board and I can tell you that the people involved were sorry they did it. Realistically, I don't feel like anyone on this board post things to say "I know something you don't know". Why would they, we're all on the same team. Nobody wants to put their sources on blast and sure as he'll don't want it out there for EVERYONE to see. If we were having a beer, I'd probably tell you. There are enough people on this board who know where my information derives from.

With that being said, thanks for continuing this converstaion. I enjoy helping you realize the obvious. The beauty of message boards is that you can either beilive people, or not. I personally don't care one bit where people get their information. I'll keep reading, posting and donating while appreitating what posters have to say. It's your job to sift through what you think is bullshit, not mine.

And here it is. Thanks

Not my "source", but I'm gonna let you run with it because out of my entire OP you picked out the one thing that 90% of this board already knew. Maybe run through my post history and create a timeline to see if I know what I'm talking about. I'll make it easy for you. Start with Lugo.

*side note* you're crazy if you think anyone is going to cite where they've heard their information (if not from a got damn article lmao) or who their source is. It has happened recently on this board and I can tell you that the people involved were sorry they did it. Realistically, I don't feel like anyone on this board post things to say "I know something you don't know". Why would they, we're all on the same team. Nobody wants to put their sources on blast and sure as he'll don't want it out there for EVERYONE to see. If we were having a beer, I'd probably tell you. There are enough people on this board who know where my information derives from.

With that being said, thanks for continuing this converstaion. I enjoy helping you realize the obvious. The beauty of message boards is that you can either beilive people, or not. I personally don't care one bit where people get their information. I'll keep reading, posting and donating while appreitating what posters have to say. It's your job to sift through what you think is bullshit, not mine.

Read the post right above yours.

I agree completely. My point is that if it's already public knowledge like BruceK-PSU linked with Verkleeren, then why be vague? I'll assume bkcntry-hwk is talking about another guy. Which would mean PSU has 2 hammers in the 2017 class who committed without scholarship money. I'll speculate it's Berge possibly.

"I can't speak directly on many recruits, but I can on the Berge situation. The coaching staff completely dropped the ball on that and it will come back to bite us."

It's not Berge, it's Verk. This information was known before the article came out. If you go back to where this all started, you'll realize that this Verk conversation was just used to make a point (public or not), you just somehow took a small piece of my post and ran with it for some reason. Quit digging and just appreciate the fact that their may be people on here that know things that you don't. It would suck if all those people quit posting because they don't want to deal with Sherlock Holmes.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27

Not sure it's true, but it has been posted elsewhere, not on BWI, that Mark Hall is not on much scholarship money.

It has also been posted in multiple places that the reason that Pat Glory is not committed yet, is because he is weighing walking on at PSU vs. scholarship offers.

Widely known that Nico gave up scholarship money one year for the team.

Manville is there on no scholarship money. Neither was Matt Brown.

Nick Nevills was quoted as taking 60% as a top 5 or 6 P4P prospect.

Yeah, yeah, we know...they are getting promised money to train at the NLWC afterwords. Just ask Don and bb. I guess the NLWC resident athlete roster is going to expand to about 30 by 2022.

Some guys on here just don't get it - because they don't want to. I've told you first hand about my experience with almost choosing a school that would have ended up costing about $100K when almost said and done over a full ride. Honestly, if the B1G coach would have put a better effort in and gave a little on the money, he probably would have chosen to give up the full ride.

Plenty of parents send their kids to more expensive schools and pay the extra money when it comes to college sans sports. Even if there is no academic justification. Why is wrestling any different? It's not.

And this happens at Iowa also. It's just conveniently overlooked by those who are butthurt that PSU is winning all the championships. So they must be cheating...

It's not Berge, it's Verk. This information was known before the article came out. If you go back to where this all started, you'll realize that this Verk conversation was just used to make a point (public or not), you just somehow took a small piece of my post and ran with it for some reason. Quit digging and just appreciate the fact that their may be people on here that know things that you don't. It would suck if all those people quit posting because they don't want to deal with Sherlock Holmes.

So it was "widespread knowledge that 90% of the board knew" (your words) and his own coach is quoted discussing that he isn't getting a scholarship initially, yet you were withholding the name.

I can appreciate insider information and the fact that people don't want to post sources or disclose too much info. I respect that and would do the exact same thing. I agree entirely on that end.

This isn't one of those cases. I just don't get the vagueness and beating around the bush if it is in fact public knowledge.

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
Not sure it's true, but it has been posted elsewhere, not on BWI, that Mark Hall is not on much scholarship money.

It has also been posted in multiple places that the reason that Pat Glory is not committed yet, is because he is weighing walking on at PSU vs. scholarship offers.

Widely known that Nico gave up scholarship money one year for the team.

Nick Nevills was quoted as taking 60% as a top 5 or 6 P4P prospect.

Yeah, yeah, we know...they are getting promised money to train at the NLWC afterwords. Just ask Don and bb. I guess the NLWC resident athlete roster is going to expand to about 30 by 2022.

Some guys on here just don't get it - because they don't want to. I've told you first hand about my experience with almost choosing a school that would have ended up costing about $100K when almost said and done over a full ride. Honestly, if the B1G coach would have put a better effort in and gave a little on the money, he probably would have chosen to give up the full ride.

Plenty of parents send their kids to more expensive schools and pay the extra money when it comes to college sans sports. Even if there is no academic justification. Why is wrestling any different? It's not.

And this happens at Iowa also. It's just conveniently overlooked by those who are butthurt that PSU is winning all the championships. So they must be cheating...

We must know the same person...... smh.

The fact is that Idk if Kale is a better recruiter or even a harder worker on the recruiting trail than TNT, because I know that they have kids banging on the door to get in. And, yes, sometimes even for free or next to nothing. So the old saying "how do they do it with 9.9" holds zero weight. Winning does amazing things for programs (no shit, right??). Tarp hit it on the head in a previous post. We're in a hole and it will take time to get out, but the things I know from the way some kids have been recruited isn't working FOR THEM. Might work on some kids, but it most certainly isn't a recruiting style one would call a CATCH ALL!

Last edited:
Come on guys, lets not get crazy. Cass over Gable? Nah b. Nobody is.

But he's definitely on the level of Nevills/Parris/Schultz. I would prefer one of Parris or Schultz if I'm being honest, but I'm very happy with what we've seen out of Cass. I don't think the new Nevills is some can't miss superstar above Cass, either. I would rank them:

1. Gable

2. Parris
3. Schultz
4. Nevills
5. Cass

I have those last 4 very close from watching them.

Verk may not be getting scholarship money but he's getting assistance in some way. Be it camp money, academic, or another avenue.

Reactions: bbwretler
Verk may not be getting scholarship money but he's getting assistance in some way. Be it camp money, academic, or another avenue.

Quite possibly, but that doesn't affect scholly $ or that number of P4P recruits they can/do take on- which is where all this originated from. To say this convo was taken off track a bit would be an umderstatment...

Quite possibly, but that doesn't affect scholly $ or that number of P4P recruits they can/do take on- which is where all this originated from. To say this convo was taken off track a bit would be an umderstatment...
That would depend entirely on what was promised during the recruitment process, now wouldn't it?

That would depend entirely on what was promised during the recruitment process, now wouldn't it?

Or it would depend on if there actually was a "recruitment process" or if Verk reached out to Kale and Kale said "I didn't recruit him, but I also can't turn down a World Champ from walking on" now wouldn't it?

Or it would depend on if there actually was a "recruitment process" or if Verk reached out to Kale and Kale said "I didn't recruit him, but I also can't turn down a World Champ from walking on" now wouldn't it?
Deleted my reply....really not worth it. To many just want to be friends with the PS intruders and also critical of the hawk staff and posters. So enjoy.

Oh, I'm sure that's true. The convo wasn't all that interesting to me so I just cherry picked a few things. That's kind of what I do. Just wanted to make it clear these guys aren't coming "for free" and bearing the full cost of attendance.

Reactions: bbwretler
Dice, if Manville is there and not enrolled yet where is he going to fit in the line up as Joesph and Hall are only sophs. Dam he be almost 30 before he leaves.

Dice, if Manville is there and not enrolled yet where is he going to fit in the line up as Joesph and Hall are only sophs. Dam he be almost 30 before he leaves.
Yes, Manville is there on ROTC scholarship, but he is enrolled now so his clock starts ticking (it would have started ticking now matter what unless he was serving or on a mission). You're overstating things on Manville, his greyshirt will still leave him 6 months younger than Teasdale will be when he starts taking classes. I'm sure you will see him somewhere in the lineup before long. He and Hall still have RS's as well as Olympic RSs. With Manville, I would be very surprised if an Olympic RS was NOT in the cards for him, seeing as he is already made a SR World Team.

Matt Brown was also an ROTC guy. He is now part of the WCAP program.

On cue, bbwrestler does his thing. He knows an awful lot about the inner workings of the PSU recruitment process for a guy who routinely misinformed the board until he was called on it about how aid/schollies are counted in sports other than football and basketball.

Spooner may or may not be correct about his statement in regards to the Verkleeren situation. If he qualifies for aid available - financial, academic - to any other student at the university, he is eligible to receive it. I doubt he is receiving academic aid, although it is possible. Academic aid for freshman at PSU is extremely selective. In addition, financial aid awards at PSU aren't great, especially when compared to a school like Lehigh (not sure how Iowa stacks up in this). Also, some people use the term "walk-on" when in fact they are receiving a small athletic stipend (e.g. books), but that does count against the 9.9. And athletes ARE eligible to receive compensation for part-time jobs out-of-season as long as it is equivalent to the commensurate rate for services in that locality available to all, AND they are not being used to promote (e.g. camp counselor).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT