ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend visitors...

Yes, Manville is there on ROTC scholarship, but he is enrolled now so his clock starts ticking (it would have started ticking now matter what unless he was serving or on a mission). You're overstating things on Manville, his greyshirt will still leave him 6 months younger than Teasdale will be when he starts taking classes. I'm sure you will see him somewhere in the lineup before long. He and Hall still have RS's as well as Olympic RSs. With Manville, I would be very surprised if an Olympic RS was NOT in the cards for him, seeing as he is already made a SR World Team.

Matt Brown was also an ROTC guy. He is now part of the WCAP program.

On cue, bbwrestler does his thing. He knows an awful lot about the inner workings of the PSU recruitment process for a guy who routinely misinformed the board until he was called on it about how aid/schollies are counted in sports other than football and basketball.

Spooner may or may not be correct about his statement in regards to the Verkleeren situation. If he qualifies for aid available - financial, academic - to any other student at the university, he is eligible to receive it. I doubt he is receiving academic aid, although it is possible. Academic aid for freshman at PSU is extremely selective. In addition, financial aid awards at PSU aren't great, especially when compared to a school like Lehigh (not sure how Iowa stacks up in this). Also, some people use the term "walk-on" when in fact they are receiving a small athletic stipend (e.g. books), but that does count against the 9.9. And athletes ARE eligible to receive compensation for part-time jobs out-of-season as long as it is equivalent to the commensurate rate for services in that locality available to all, AND they are not being used to promote (e.g. camp counselor).
And here we go again. Misrepresenting as often is the case. But then your friends here let you get away with it so why not. I NEVER misinformed anyone about aid counted or not counted by the NCAA. I simply quoted what was in their rules and regulations. I also never pointed it directly at PS. If you cannot read and comprehend that is your problem. But I really do not appreciate your lies on our forum. If nothing that PS does needs to be defended then why are you here continually doing it. If you want to read only positives then stay on your own board as I do mine.

Not sure it's true, but it has been posted elsewhere, not on BWI, that Mark Hall is not on much scholarship money.

It has also been posted in multiple places that the reason that Pat Glory is not committed yet, is because he is weighing walking on at PSU vs. scholarship offers.

Widely known that Nico gave up scholarship money one year for the team.

Manville is there on no scholarship money. Neither was Matt Brown.

Nick Nevills was quoted as taking 60% as a top 5 or 6 P4P prospect.

Yeah, yeah, we know...they are getting promised money to train at the NLWC afterwords. Just ask Don and bb. I guess the NLWC resident athlete roster is going to expand to about 30 by 2022.

Some guys on here just don't get it - because they don't want to. I've told you first hand about my experience with almost choosing a school that would have ended up costing about $100K when almost said and done over a full ride. Honestly, if the B1G coach would have put a better effort in and gave a little on the money, he probably would have chosen to give up the full ride.

Plenty of parents send their kids to more expensive schools and pay the extra money when it comes to college sans sports. Even if there is no academic justification. Why is wrestling any different? It's not.

And this happens at Iowa also. It's just conveniently overlooked by those who are butthurt that PSU is winning all the championships. So they must be cheating...

You are either so full of sh** or live in a different world than most. If you think most average middle class parents who are struggling just to make ends meet would turn down a full scholarship or even a half scholarship for their kid just to wrestle for the beloved PSU wrestling team you are crazy. You can beat that drum as long as you want, I'm not buying it. If your theory is right show me the last Iowa or OSU walk on who was a national champ....good luck!

You are either so full of sh** or live in a different world than most. If you think most average middle class parents who are struggling just to make ends meet would turn down a full scholarship or even a half scholarship for their kid just to wrestle for the beloved PSU wrestling team you are crazy. You can beat that drum as long as you want, I'm not buying it. If your theory is right show me the last Iowa or OSU walk on who was a national champ....good luck!

Don't you believe Iowa had guys over the years who turned down full rides elsewhere to wrestle for Gable for less?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'll take Diceman in an information slugfest against both of you any time, any day. Sometimes one has to take off their Hawk and Nittany Lion glasses and see what each poster brings to the table. Diceman is connected to the high school scene, and his information is to be respected whether you appreciate it or not.

... and yes, parents will enroll their kids at the school they want to wrestle whether it costs a lot more or not. Not all obviously, but many.

Reactions: slushhead
Serious question. Why do you think Nevills & Parris are a notch above Cass? I think after the Pan Ams and this weekend Cass could very reasonably be considered the #2 HWT. What are their best wins? Do they have head to heads? Have you actually watch Cassioppi wrestle?

Top 10 P4P is great but you can't live and die by it. Cassioppi wasn't on many of our radars because he was an early commit to NW. He was when he stomped Castillo at Folkstyle Nationals. And again when we signed him. I have been super impressed with his skill set and hope he catches Parris or Nevills if they show up at any of these national events. Would not be surprised if Cass is top 10 P4P by the end of the year.
This! Cassioppi would give Nevills all he can handle. Gable is on a different level, but Cassioppi can absolutely go with every other HWT in the country. He's a top 15-20 recruit that is currently under ranked.

This! Cassioppi would give Nevills all he can handle. Gable is on a different level, but Cassioppi can absolutely go with every other HWT in the country. He's a top 15-20 recruit that is currently under ranked.

He is definitely as talented as Nevills coming out of high school. It will be interesting to see how they develop in their college rooms.

Don't you believe Iowa had guys over the years who turned down full rides elsewhere to wrestle for Gable for less?
Yes, I absolutely do believe that. Where their parents could afford it and especially with in state tuition. I think the same thing happens at PS, Ohio St, Ok St. and other schools. Maybe not many or most but those where the wrestler grew up watching and wanting to wrestle at that school and where the parents were able to comfortably foot the bill. However, all families are not capable of forgoing a full or even partial scholarship, assuming academic or other aid is not available to them. Out of state tuition and fees can range well over $125,000 over a 4-5 year period. Sure no one is denying that a top 5 p4p recruite could get a full ride at a number of schools to eleminate his parents of that financial burden.

And here we go again. Misrepresenting as often is the case. But then your friends here let you get away with it so why not. I NEVER misinformed anyone about aid counted or not counted by the NCAA. I simply quoted what was in their rules and regulations. I also never pointed it directly at PS. If you cannot read and comprehend that is your problem. But I really do not appreciate your lies on our forum. If nothing that PS does needs to be defended then why are you here continually doing it. If you want to read only positives then stay on your own board as I do mine.
OK. We've been through this before. Fact is, you did come out and say need-based financial aid counted towards the 9.9 at first, then you backtracked when I called you on it.

And you are still sticking to your story that you never pointed it at PS(U), when you posted it in a thread about PSU recruiting. And then you do the same thing on here, when PSU recruiting is being discussed. But, yeah, you don't point it directly at PSU. It's called allusion, but stick to your guns about not mentioning PSU by name.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to stick it to you all the time if you just posted that you misposted on the financial aid and then got informed, and if you were just like "I think PSU is cheating, but I don't have any evidence." But you weasel it every time.

Reactions: pish69
I live in the same world that you do. Average middle class parent that struggles with the burden of college costs. Just because I struggle with it, doesn't mean I'm not prepared to go above and beyond to do the best for my kids.

So I guess I must be full of sh&*t...

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
Penrith is the only one I can think of, and that was a long time ago. Hoping Mejia is next.

Kind of supports both arguments: blue-chip walk-ons are obviously rare. But every now and then...

Iowa has had a host of wrestlers turn down much better offers over the years because they wanted to wrestle for Iowa. It probably still happens. These aren't rich kids/families, either.

OK. We've been through this before. Fact is, you did come out and say need-based financial aid counted towards the 9.9 at first, then you backtracked when I called you on it.

And you are still sticking to your story that you never pointed it at PS(U), when you posted it in a thread about PSU recruiting. And then you do the same thing on here, when PSU recruiting is being discussed. But, yeah, you don't point it directly at PSU. It's called allusion, but stick to your guns about not mentioning PSU by name.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to stick it to you all the time if you just posted that you misposted on the financial aid and then got informed, and if you were just like "I think PSU is cheating, but I don't have any evidence." But you weasel it every time.
You manipulate everything you post on here. Need based is based on need and no one but the school and FAFSA DICTATES AND DECIDES WHO QUALIFIES. We were talking about non qualified aid which would not include need based nor academic aid as determined by the institution and available to all students on an equal basis.....as per NCAA rules and regs. That is excactly what I posted. Get that through your head. Obviously you do not like me and therefore, I have every right to feel the same about you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkerr
You manipulate everythig you post on here. Need based is based on need and no one but the school and FAFSA DICTATES AND DEECIDES WHO QUALIFIES. We were talking about non qualified aid whichwould not include need based nor acaemic aid as determined by the institution and available to all students on an equa basis.....as per NCAA rules and regs. That is excactly what I posted. Get that through your head. Obviously you do not like me and theerefore, I have every right to feel the same about you.

I have said from the beginning that need-based aid (qualified) does not count against the 9.9. Not sure why I would have taken exception to you stating the same. If so then I must have a reading comprehension problem. Or I remember it differently than you.

I have no idea if I like you or not - most guys that post here there and everywhere and generally good guys who love wrestling. I just think you post like a weasel. Throwing crap out there that everyone knows is obviously directed at one school and then hiding behind the fact that you didn't name the school directly. That's just being a sh*t-stirrer without the acknowledgement of it.

But being a good guy in the real world and and getting enjoyment being a sh*t-stirrer on a message board are not mutually exclusive I guess.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

Iowa has had a host of wrestlers turn down much better offers over the years because they wanted to wrestle for Iowa. It probably still happens. These aren't rich kids/families, either.
I would totally agree. We were talking walk-ons or little to no money at all. A big difference.

Interesting discussion.
I have said from the beginning that need-based aid (qualified) does not count against the 9.9. Not sure why I would have taken exception to you stating the same. If so then I must have a reading comprehension problem. Or I remember it differently than you.

I have no idea if I like you or not - most guys that post here there and everywhere and generally good guys who love wrestling. I just think you post like a weasel. Throwing crap out there that everyone knows is obviously directed at one school and then hiding behind the fact that you didn't name the school directly. That's just being a sh*t-stirrer without the acknowledgement of it.

But being a good guy in the real world and and getting enjoyment being a sh*t-stirrer on a message board are not mutually exclusive I guess.

Dice - is Cael going to walk-on this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT