ADVERTISEMENT

What did the 2014 HawkSlayer bowl teach us; teach the coaches

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
First. Jake Rudock did not play well and CJB came in and had some spark. CJB had played well in regular season games that year. It led to CJB leading the hawks to 12-0 the next year.

It is a bowl game play more players, especially play your 2nd string qb, Marco or Joey even if just in certain situations or for a few drives. Bowl game is extra game, yes try to win it but learn something.

Second, the defense looked very tired or beaten down in that game. I think in opened up eyes on that side of the ball as the tackling and hitting was poor. But it may have rededicated that unit because they played better the next year.

Agree....but there is no way Kirk is going to risk the chance that Marco will play better than Hill.

I'd love to be wrong, though!
Well, his son got fired, he has the worst offense in football the last 3 years, things that bother me about kirk is his super conservative nature and stubborness which both go into not liking change.

But maybe Kirk will surprise us and himself or maybe someone will whisper to him

First. Jake Rudock did not play well and CJB came in and had some spark. CJB had played well in regular season games that year. It led to CJB leading the hawks to 12-0 the next year.

It is a bowl game play more players, especially play your 2nd string qb, Marco or Joey even if just in certain situations or for a few drives. Bowl game is extra game, yes try to win it but learn something.

Second, the defense looked very tired or beaten down in that game. I think in opened up eyes on that side of the ball as the tackling and hitting was poor. But it may have rededicated that unit because they played better the next year.

LOL….well I am notoriously a defensive guy and it showed me one thing. Our defense sucked.

In fact many of you have lost sight of everything KF did with the staff and recruiting since then. We have drilled down on our talent identification, recruiting process, personnel, scheme, subbing, etc…since then!

We are faster, deeper, better….I'm not nearly as upset at this team & staff as some of you.

BF is moving on, so we don’t have to hear about that lightening rod anymore.

Quick question for you guys in here…should be a quick easy answer. How many people do each of you know who have been as successful as KF who routinely hires and plays the wrong people and is so petty he’ll fail by playing the wrong people?

For many of us it wouldn’t have crossed our minds. It just goes to show you how petty and potentially nasty and bitter you guys are. It seems you may have actually done that in your lives?! Sad…..

You can find out a lot about people by their message board history.

Quick question for you guys in here…should be a quick easy answer. How many people do each of you know who have been as successful as KF who routinely hires and plays the wrong people and is so petty he’ll fail by playing the wrong people?

For many of us it wouldn’t have crossed our minds. It just goes to show you how petty and potentially nasty and bitter you guys are. It seems you may have actually done that in your lives?! Sad…..

You can find out a lot about people by their message board history.
To answer your first question.... it does not happen often but it does happen, especially if there is history of it happening. Most likely people on this board have experience with it in their professional work environment (i.e. hiring unqualified people, hiring outside your organization, etc.). At least, that is where any example would come from for me. Now these examples could be subjective (like anything) but that's different than what we are talking about here.

Now to the Iowa QB problem, it is pretty reasonable to assume (and yes I know what assume does) that there cannot be a worse QB on the roster. There just cannot be. Hill has not 1 single quality to keep him as the starter. I would argue he is even more detrimental to an already handicapped offense (i.e. slow, immobile, inaccurate, and turnover-proned). These are qualities that make the current offense that much worse. From what I've heard/watched in tape.... ML is pretty mobile and can pass which could provide some extra element even if the young argument is used.

The only possible (reasonable) explanation I could think of to keep trotting Hill out is it maintains consistency/normalcy throughout the season. And knowing we could beat any team with just 1 or 2 offensive plays and win on defense/ST alone. So we did that...that's awesome. Love 10 win seasons however they come.

Well, now the regular season is over and you have a good opportunity to prep a guy (ML) that could be a good #2 next year (assuming Cade will be healthy as the #1). Hill is not your future. He just can't be.

The conspiracy theorists in all of us may think its because ML could show up Hill and cause controversy in the offseason. I'll admit I waffle back-and-forth on this from time-to-time because I just cant possibly come up with another reason why Hill is still playing, especially now that the regular season is over and this would be a great opportunity to bowl prep. Because honestly this is why bowls are important...to provide extra practice time for upcoming starters

That game was taxing to watch, and Iowa got slayed
Yeah, that was terrible. The play that will always stand out to me is the kickoff returner that threw the ball (fumbled) in bounds as he was falling out. Like he was playing basketball or something. I’ve never seen like that before and doubt I ever will again.

To answer your first question.... it does not happen often but it does happen, especially if there is history of it happening. Most likely people on this board have experience with it in their professional work environment (i.e. hiring unqualified people, hiring outside your organization, etc.). At least, that is where any example would come from for me. Now these examples could be subjective (like anything) but that's different than what we are talking about here.

Now to the Iowa QB problem, it is pretty reasonable to assume (and yes I know what assume does) that there cannot be a worse QB on the roster. There just cannot be. Hill has not 1 single quality to keep him as the starter. I would argue he is even more detrimental to an already handicapped offense (i.e. slow, immobile, inaccurate, and turnover-proned). These are qualities that make the current offense that much worse. From what I've heard/watched in tape.... ML is pretty mobile and can pass which could provide some extra element even if the young argument is used.

The only possible (reasonable) explanation I could think of to keep trotting Hill out is it maintains consistency/normalcy throughout the season. And knowing we could beat any team with just 1 or 2 offensive plays and win on defense/ST alone. So we did that...that's awesome. Love 10 win seasons however they come.

Well, now the regular season is over and you have a good opportunity to prep a guy (ML) that could be a good #2 next year (assuming Cade will be healthy as the #1). Hill is not your future. He just can't be.

The conspiracy theorists in all of us may think its because ML could show up Hill and cause controversy in the offseason. I'll admit I waffle back-and-forth on this from time-to-time because I just cant possibly come up with another reason why Hill is still playing, especially now that the regular season is over and this would be a great opportunity to bowl prep. Because honestly this is why bowls are important...to provide extra practice time for upcoming starters

This is an extremely well written, well reasoned, excellent post. And I can even get behind it for the most part. With that said, I’ve elected to live with KFs selections good, bad or indifferent as long as he has a great defense and keeps winning at the level he is.

And I want to win, period, so I’m not into “experience” just for the experience.

With “that” said…it is hard to envision the other QBs as worse, but no way he purposefully sabotages himself and still is lucky enough to win like we do….

Now can he have confirmation bias in his decision making…?!Sure we all can and do at times. But again, pretty rare that doesn’t inhibit his successes even more than it does.

Again, I really do appreciate your response. My problem with most of these guys is they’re not really that smart…. If they could articulate their thoughts the way you just did, I’d give them more appreciation. Not that they care, nor do I…

PS….it does blow watching our offense, but I watched that D till the bitter end last night!

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
This is an extremely well written, well reasoned, excellent post. And I can even get behind it for the most part. With that said, I’ve elected to live with KFs selections good, bad or indifferent as long as he has a great defense and keeps winning at the level he is.

And I want to win, period, so I’m not into “experience” just for the experience.

With “that” said…it is hard to envision the other QBs as worse, but no way he purposefully sabotages himself and still is lucky enough to win like we do….

Now can he have confirmation bias in his decision making…?!Sure we all can and do at times. But again, pretty rare that doesn’t inhibit his successes even more than it does.

Again, I really do appreciate your response. My problem with most of these guys is they’re not really that smart…. If they could articulate their thoughts the way you just did, I’d give them more appreciation. Not that they care, nor do I…

PS….it does blow watching our offense, but I watched that D till the bitter end last night!
Definitely - appreciate the good back-and-forth.

Defense is just insane. Love the fight in all of those guys and hope every single one of them will/could come back

I'm hoping the QB thing is more just a "young vs a possible experience thing" with Hill and ML (or any other guy in depth chart). I honestly have no idea what Hill experience was prior to coming to Iowa...or maybe he picked up what BF was trying to do more quickly, etc. Whatever the reason.

I just wish more guys were considered for actual game time... especially if the starter is struggling, new, etc. and really has no past allegiance/experience w/ Iowas offense (Hill vs someone like SP for example ).

But we know that kf really values consistency, practice performance, off-the-field character, doing things the right way, etc. So if that is what Hill is doing then no one is going to sway/argue w/ KF opinion on the matter. Not like any of us internet warriors can anyway :cool:

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agree....but there is no way Kirk is going to risk the chance that Marco will play better than Hill.

I'd love to be wrong, though!
That is Kirk's major chink in his armor. He refuses to be wrong or look bad. He will play Hill until he is stretcherd off the field because he can't risk the backup being better and him looking bad. It is a major fallacy for him. Joe Labas should have gotten snaps this year. If you don't like him, tell him to quit the team then.

Bowl game should be the time to try something different.
Stakes are low.
This is all about the O. Phil can do whatever he wants with his guys on D. They've been outstanding all season so I think he'd keep doing what he's been doing. If he wants to try some things then go for it.
But on O. the O that was a disaster all year, this is a perfect opportunity for 3 weeks of practice to change it up. New plays, new sets with new players. First, and most important, play Lainez and get him moving. Out of the pocket. Planned qb runs. Take chances downfield.

Reactions: amahawk

But Hill is not experienced and hadnt hardly played much until Cade got hurt. Marco and Joey have been looking at the playbook longer than Hill as I think Marco is a redshirt frosh. By the Minny game Hill's passing and turnover stats were poor. So this argument is false

Hey I wish Hill was really good but that is not the case. He has been avg to below avg. And I and all of you have seen college coaches make big time qb changes.

Geez, Saban benched/replaced Hurts who is now a top nfl qb. I dont know what some of you people are so against Kirk making a change or backing Kirk on this. And how do you know what Marco can do when you keep his butt glued to the bench.

Reactions: amahawk and littlez
Definitely - appreciate the good back-and-forth.

Defense is just insane. Love the fight in all of those guys and hope every single one of them will/could come back

I'm hoping the QB thing is more just a "young vs a possible experience thing" with Hill and ML (or any other guy in depth chart). I honestly have no idea what Hill experience was prior to coming to Iowa...or maybe he picked up what BF was trying to do more quickly, etc. Whatever the reason.

I just wish more guys were considered for actual game time... especially if the starter is struggling, new, etc. and really has no past allegiance/experience w/ Iowas offense (Hill vs someone like SP for example ).

But we know that kf really values consistency, practice performance, off-the-field character, doing things the right way, etc. So if that is what Hill is doing then no one is going to sway/argue w/ KF opinion on the matter. Not like any of us internet warriors can anyway :cool:

So after all the stories about Hill you havent heard that Hill missed maybe his last year of high school with injury, didnt play at Wisconsin, and as I replied to another poster I think Marco and I know Joey have been studying the playbook longer than Hill. I say the same thing as you , practice is practice but you need to see the players in game action to see if they are playmakers.

I just replied with this to that other poster you quoted:

But Hill is not experienced and hadnt hardly played much until Cade got hurt. Marco and Joey have been looking at the playbook longer than Hill as I think Marco is a redshirt frosh. By the Minny game Hill's passing and turnover stats were poor. So this argument is false

Hey I wish Hill was really good but that is not the case. He has been avg to below avg. And I and all of you have seen college coaches make big time qb changes.

Geez, Saban benched/replaced Hurts who is now a top nfl qb. I dont know what some of you people are so against Kirk making a change or backing Kirk on this. And how do you know what Marco can do when you keep his butt glued to the bench.

Yeah, that was terrible. The play that will always stand out to me is the kickoff returner that threw the ball (fumbled) in bounds as he was falling out. Like he was playing basketball or something. I’ve never seen like that before and doubt I ever will again.

I now wonder if he was on the take?!?!?

So after all the stories about Hill you havent heard that Hill missed maybe his last year of high school with injury, didnt play at Wisconsin, and as I replied to another poster I think Marco and I know Joey have been studying the playbook longer than Hill. I say the same thing as you , practice is practice but you need to see the players in game action to see if they are playmakers.

I just replied with this to that other poster you quoted:

Yes it just makes no sense. As I was saying above, I can't think of any other reason why Hill has gotten the "start til injured" treatment. He hasn't done anything prior...has never played for Iowa before... hasn't had more time in the system, etc.

Theres nothing to make him have an advantage over trying someone else, especially when he makes an already handicapped offense that much worse (i.e. slow, immobile, not accurate, turnover-proned).

He just must be a practice warrior and checks all the intangible boxes that Kirk loves

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT