ADVERTISEMENT

What do the naysayers say now???

I will say that against an inferior opponent in Indiana they didn’t look great. The Bull finished well, Cass, Lee and ADS all were great but the rest of the guys seemed to lack some energy. Against a much better Purdue team, the whole squad looked amazing. There was a collective commitment to dominating. I was nervous for 157,174,184 and 197. Iowa looked great in all four of those matches. Kemmerer looked like he had some conditioning/fatigue issues vs Indiana and he plain took it to the undefeated Lydy in the 3rd. Similar story for JWar. Great matches for B10 seeding.

Are these "naysayers" in your imaginary world, cause I don't recall a single one.

I will put it like this. Many see the glass 1/2 full all the time on this board. They keep putting F*** st up high on a pedestal. We saw it in another thread for example when news broke of Colon, cassar going down and brooks shirt being pulled.

NOT taking anything away from other teams or wrestlers! But a good man and coach taught me a long time ago about giving TOO MUCH RESPECT to the competition. He was my JV Football coach and it was my freshman year in HS at a Wrestling match where one of our top Wrestlers faced a top wrestler in the county.

Coach was yelling for our guy to get after it. He always had a "colorful" way of putting things. I thought that since he was not a Wrestling coach, I would point out how highly ranked his opponent was.

He said, " I don't give a damn who he is!!!! You go out and you compete and you fight etc...." The way he put it made perfect sense and watching the match made it even clearer. Our Wrestler was not wrestling his match or to his potential and letting it fly!!!

The HAWKS are VERY GOOD! Those saying this guy can beat that guy, and that guy can't AA or win it. You are wrong! I would say Desanto, Murin, Lugo, Kemerer, Warner, and BIG Cass! ALL are currently ranked higher then many may have thought they ever could reach this year.

And I know it is rankings, but you get there by winning against good wrestlers and they are doing it and proven they all are in it to win it!

I don't believe Iowa has peaked yet and honestly that's scary. This team isn't like past teams who have had let downs and not able to over come issues.
In years past when Iowa has had matchups with top ten teams we have been good and sometimes just good enough to win. But this year against even ranked teams it's been almost a blowout everytime.
Winning close matchups on regular basis and the teams confidence is growing....no matter what happens the rest of the way this has been a fun season.

I will put it like this. Many see the glass 1/2 full all the time on this board. They keep putting F*** st up high on a pedestal. We saw it in another thread for example when news broke of Colon, cassar going down and brooks shirt being pulled.

NOT taking anything away from other teams or wrestlers! But a good man and coach taught me a long time ago about giving TOO MUCH RESPECT to the competition. He was my JV Football coach and it was my freshman year in HS at a Wrestling match where one of our top Wrestlers faced a top wrestler in the county.

Coach was yelling for our guy to get after it. He always had a "colorful" way of putting things. I thought that since he was not a Wrestling coach, I would point out how highly ranked his opponent was.

He said, " I don't give a damn who he is!!!! You go out and you compete and you fight etc...." The way he put it made perfect sense and watching the match made it even clearer. Our Wrestler was not wrestling his match or to his potential and letting it fly!!!

The HAWKS are VERY GOOD! Those saying this guy can beat that guy, and that guy can't AA or win it. You are wrong! I would say Desanto, Murin, Lugo, Kemerer, Warner, and BIG Cass! ALL are currently ranked higher then many may have thought they ever could reach this year.

And I know it is rankings, but you get there by winning against good wrestlers and they are doing it and proven they all are in it to win it!

What you should probably do is call out any specific post to which you disagree rather than make broad attacks on unnamed posters for unspecified comments.

Ummmm. Ok?

People keep putting the team that's won the majority of the National Titles in the last decade on a pedestal? How dare they!

IDK, I think we have differing levels of matter reaching our respective brainpans.

But you do you and the rest of us will use Morse Code and Braille and whatever else is necessary to see if we can figure out what the hell it is you're trying to say.

Agreed, Gents. I’d argue we have whiners. I wouldn’t argue we have naysayers.

OK, Whiners, negative types, those who do not BELIEVE!

What you should probably do is call out any specific post to which you disagree rather than make broad attacks on unnamed posters for unspecified comments.

NOT attacking anyone ! just saying too many on here are not positive enough in the wrestlers /team we support.

Ummmm. Ok?

People keep putting the team that's won the majority of the National Titles in the last decade on a pedestal? How dare they!

IDK, I think we have differing levels of matter reaching our respective brainpans.

Go back and reread, I think way too many athletes/wrestlers give too much respect and lose matches before they are even wrestled!

But you do you and the rest of us will use Morse Code and Braille and whatever else is necessary to see if we can figure out what the hell it is you're trying to say.

This is by far your greatest post of all time and I was LOL! I want to give credit where credit is due!

I think you might be a little too obsessed with Penn State or you have posts from last year confused with posts from this year.

NOPE!

OK, Whiners, negative types, those who do not BELIEVE!

NOT attacking anyone ! just saying too many on here are not positive enough in the wrestlers /team we support.

This is by far your greatest post of all time and I was LOL! I want to give credit where credit is due!

NOPE!
The best the Hawks have looked all season. Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State all at home up next. Go Hawks!!!

You must be directing this at Brands for showing zero belief in Wilcke.

I am in the boat with those who are kinda scratching their heads on this one. My guess is they are seeing something everyday that we all are not. I will admit I was kinda nervous when they pulled Lee's shirt too.

Not sure enough has been said about that? I thought they made probably the toughest call as a coaches they could ever make with Lee. Top recruit, coming off major injury, etc......

It is my opinion that they are the best coaches in the country and they will be correct in doing whatever it is they do a great majority of the time.

I am in the boat with those who are kinda scratching their heads on this one. My guess is they are seeing something everyday that we all are not. I will admit I was kinda nervous when they pulled Lee's shirt too.

Not sure enough has been said about that? I thought they made probably the toughest call as a coaches they could ever make with Lee. Top recruit, coming off major injury, etc......

It is my opinion that they are the best coaches in the country and they will be correct in doing whatever it is they do a great majority of the time.

huh? Assad had a TD in the first. Wilke won’t even take a shot in the first. I like the kid and apprechia effort over the years but best man in.

Cass looked heavy and slow. Took him 2 minutes to stick that guy.

Im a little concerned about Lee, too. Still can’t get to his offense in the second and third periods.

You see here!!!! This is what I am talking about right here and it is pretty darn clear!!!

I will admit, Cass did look kinda slow and should have pinned him quicker and Lee isn't tilting guys fast enough, but come on!!!

Yes this is in Jest!

I think people were more upset about Lee's shirt being pulled for selfish reasons, because they thought he could be the next undefeated 4 time champ. Assad on the other hand is not the level of recruit who is typically going to compete for a title right out of the gate (even after a redshirt season), but he is a very good wrestler who is only going to get better the more D1 competition he gets. Maybe we don't gain a lot of points at 184 with Assad over Wilcke this year at NCAAs, but it could be big for Assad's future. I agree that we have the best coaches in the country, and I believe pulling Assad's shirt wasn't just what is best for the team, but it is what is best for Assad's career.

Reactions: wasdt21
I think people were more upset about Lee's shirt being pulled for selfish reasons, because they thought he could be the next undefeated 4 time champ. Assad on the other hand is not the level of recruit who is typically going to compete for a title right out of the gate (even after a redshirt season), but he is a very good wrestler who is only going to get better the more D1 competition he gets. Maybe we don't gain a lot of points at 184 with Assad over Wilcke this year at NCAAs, but it could be big for Assad's future. I agree that we have the best coaches in the country, and I believe pulling Assad's shirt wasn't just what is best for the team, but it is what is best for Assad's career.
I think, more than anything, pulling the shirt was a sign to every recruit and everyone in the room, that just good enough is not good enough. If a 3 year starter isn't on board with the "Iowa Style" then we'll put a guy out there that is. This may or may not get us more points at 84 but it will help the team mindset and get us more points overall. Of course I could be alone in this line of thinking.

My only complaint is we might be using too many of our good wrestlers this year and potentially wasting a year of their eligibility that could have been used to win future titles. First with Assad and now potentially with Eierman as well.

Don't let the naysayers in this thread hold you back. Keep that chip you put on your own shoulder.

I don't believe Iowa has peaked yet and honestly that's scary. This team isn't like past teams who have had let downs and not able to over come issues.
In years past when Iowa has had matchups with top ten teams we have been good and sometimes just good enough to win. But this year against even ranked teams it's been almost a blowout everytime.
Winning close matchups on regular basis and the teams confidence is growing....no matter what happens the rest of the way this has been a fun season.

Agreed. Earlier versions of a Metcalf-less, great regular season Iowa team, had one thing in common. We just looked in better shape than everyone else. This year? We're far better skilled. We're firing more. Finishing at a higher clip and holy cow... we win scrambles.

If brands can do the exact same thing this year as last year, we're going to blow the team race out of the water. It will be over by Friday night. We'll put 7 in the finals at this rate. Not sure that that's sustainable, but damn we look like we're the better wrestler on the mat.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Agreed. Earlier versions of a Metcalf-less, great regular season Iowa team, had one thing in common. We just looked in better shape than everyone else. This year? We're far better skilled. We're firing more. Finishing at a higher clip and holy cow... we win scrambles.

If brands can do the exact same thing this year as last year, we're going to blow the team race out of the water. It will be over by Friday night. We'll put 7 in the finals at this rate. Not sure that that's sustainable, but damn we look like we're the better wrestler on the mat.
We're also better riders. It seems to have become a focus, or Lee's influence has drastically spread.

We're also better riders. It seems to have become a focus, or Lee's influence has drastically spread.
Well said. And, in general, I like the trend. The possibility of a 4-point NF may also be contributing to the emphasis on riding and turning.

They still need to change TD and Escape. It wasn't an Iowa wrestler, but someone this weekend won 6-4 and it kind of surprised me because I thought the winning wrestler would have dominated a little more. So, I looked up the match and it was 3 takedowns for the winning wrestler and 4 escapes for the losing wrestler. Dominant but a fluke TD at the end ties it up for the guy who didn't do crap for 3 periods. I don't like it.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Well said. And, in general, I like the trend. The possibility of a 4-point NF may also be contributing to the emphasis on riding and turning.

We're better turners. And its amazing to see. I hope this puts to rest about how wrestling freestyle makes you a better folkstyler. It doesn't. Wrestling freestyle makes you a better freestyler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT