ADVERTISEMENT

We are now seeing optimized lineup to be Murray 2x, Rebraca, Sandfort and a PG

That’s I believe in objectivity of numbers more than a subjective opinion 😉
I believe that O's numbers would be much worse than they are now if he was playing against the level of competition that typically the others see. Yes, once and awhile he comes in early due to foul trouble but typically we see him at mop up time.

Reactions: KcTo
I would agree with all of this…
recall, in his only extended minutes at Purdue, he played great, on offense and defense, vs excellent Bigs, and all without Keegan, 1 possesion game with 90 seconds to go.

fran has simply refused to play him again with the 1st team 🤔
I feel like he should play depending on the matchup - his conditioning just seems to be an issue. Against teams that have size advantages like Purdue, Michigan and Illinois, he’s an asset. He played more against Purdue because we had major foul trouble going against their bigs, but apparently it hasn’t clicked for him. I’d like to see him more, but he doesn’t warrant significant first team minutes yet.

I feel like he should play depending on the matchup - his conditioning just seems to be an issue. Against teams that have size advantages like Purdue, Michigan and Illinois, he’s an asset. He played more against Purdue because we had major foul trouble going against their bigs, but apparently it hasn’t clicked for him. I’d like to see him more, but he doesn’t warrant significant first team minutes yet.
Unless/until he either becomes more dynamic on offense or can really up his conditioning game, he’s going to continue to see limited playing time. Iowa’s offense under Fran really wants to flow and move and get out in transition. Garza bottled the motion up at times with his relative lack of speed and overall athleticism, but he more than made up for it with elite level hustle in transition and an elite offensive game that made it very much worth the trade off.

Unless/until he either becomes more dynamic on offense or can really up his conditioning game, he’s going to continue to see limited playing time. Iowa’s offense under Fran really wants to flow and move and get out in transition. Garza bottled the motion up at times with his relative lack of speed and overall athleticism, but he more than made up for it with elite level hustle in transition and an elite offensive game that made it very much worth the trade off.
Agreed. Strikes me as another potential trade candidate (not predicting anything) after this year. But if he wants playing time at Iowa, his offensive game needs to take a leap and/or slim down so that he’s able to play at the pace Fran wants.

I'm going to ask a simple questions....how high have you seen Josh jump for a rebound? He also seem to have small hands for someone that is as big as he is and his reaction time seems a little slow too, I just wish that Fran would play him more often so his admirers could see for themselves that he's not someone that should have been recruited at this level. He's still a massive project.
Sorry if we have difference of opinions. I would guess by next year we should know if he will be a player that Iowa can get some production from.

I'm going to ask a simple questions....how high have you seen Josh jump for a rebound? He also seem to have small hands for someone that is as big as he is and his reaction time seems a little slow too, I just wish that Fran would play him more often so his admirers could see for themselves that he's not someone that should have been recruited at this level. He's still a massive project.
Sorry if we have difference of opinions. I would guess by next year we should know if he will be a player that Iowa can get some production from.
If you intended to reply to me, I think we’re in agreement. I love his physical size, but I haven’t seen a lot in terms of overall conditioning. I think the conditioning and athleticism go hand in hand. If he can slim down a bit, get a little quicker, a little more hops will also follow. Haven’t seen enough to notice hand size, maybe you’re right, don’t know.

Unless he and/or Fran hit the point where they just don’t think he can play at this level, I don’t really want him to become a ”trade” candidate. With the size of Iowa’s roster, they have plenty of room for a big man as a project. You’re just not ever going to run an 11-13 man rotation.

I can’t trust a player who can’t be bothered to be in shape 2/3 of the way through the season. If he transfers, then so be it.

Ogundele has only small sample sizes but has proved he can score near the basket, 7 points at Purdue in 13min.

re: conditioning, he hasn’t played more than 3 minutes at a time usually as games expires, so it hard for me to judge his level of conditioning based a tiny minutes on the court.

he’s not really been given a chance to get tired, certainly not with the staring units.

they Dont seem to get in the way of him dunking…

I’d still rather see Ogundele with moobs defending Kofi, Eddy, and the MI big than Conner or Keegan….

I agree that he could be used in 3-5 minute segments against the monsters of the B1G. Beyond that….he doesn’t fit into the offensive scheme. And, at the end of the day, that’s what matters in Fran’s system.

I agree that he could be used in 3-5 minute segments against the monsters of the B1G. Beyond that….he doesn’t fit into the offensive scheme. And, at the end of the day, that’s what matters in Fran’s system.
when Rebraca he’s to bench, and when another team has a big pivot, Id rather see Keegan, Kris in game to provide help side D with Ogundele tasked with using his massive (moobs) bulk to absorb post defense banging and the fouls that go with that.
worst imaginable outcome is for Keegan and Kris to get exposed to fouls and miss minutes of playing time (owing to Frans inflexible 2 fouls rule)

That gets back to what I pointed out with Garza as well. Garza was never an elite defender and didn’t really fit Fran’s scheme, but he brought so much other stuff to the table that Fran worked the offense around him. If Josh can bring enough other stuff to the game, he’ll force minutes…..but if he’s mostly just a big body to shove other big bodies around and get some points around the basket, he’ll probably stick in that 5-15 minute PT range.

It will be interesting how often this lineup is in the court as a unit Tonight and then how well they do together.

I believe that O's numbers would be much worse than they are now if he was playing against the level of competition that typically the others see. Yes, once and awhile he comes in early due to foul trouble but typically we see him at mop up time.
Exhibit #1. @ Purdue. 13m 7 points 4-5 boards
Exhibit #2 most recent effort with 1st team in 1h, 1 board, 1 charge, played even while in,

im not seeing the evidence…

These numbers have some merit. Ogundele is interesting but 1) I’m not sure he’s conditioned to be able to play 15 mpg and 2) his flat line is in rare spot minutes and garbage time. I don’t think that’s a “0” you can project into 15-20 mpg at this point. He can go provide a presence for a few minutes here and there (and he’s 4 fouls to give with a big body), but he’s still very much a work in progress.
Really any d1 player can play 4-5 3 minute stretches. No one is asking him to play 8 at a time. It would require fran to manage his players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT