ADVERTISEMENT

Which hawk defenders who play a lot have used up their eligibility?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Is Logan Lee the only player who logged a lot of minutes the only one without any more playing time? I am almost positive Craig, Black, Graves, Hurkett, and a few others on the DLine can play this next season.

I sometimes hear Kyler Fisher has more playing time and others say he does not. If Fisher is out of playing time who is next to take that position or if Castro comes back should he just be on the field most of the time? We have heard Higgins is coming back and Jackson can but if Jackson decides to forego this extra year who is first in line for that lbkr spot?

I am going with Cooper being gone so that gives us Harris and Lee at corners. Could PhilP maybe put X in a more aggressive position to get some more picks? Besides X who are the other 3 safeties in the top 4.

In a blink of an eye it will be OC hired, transfer activity closed, and then spring ball.

Logan Lee technically has a year of eligibility left, but has said that he is not returning. Chris Reames and Kyler Fisher have a sixth year to use as well, but it doesn't appear that either have been asked to return. That might change if Nick Jackson decides to not take his extra year. We are still waiting on Castro, Schulte, and Jackson to decide (as well as DeJean obviously).

DE looks good with Craig and Hurkett starting, and Brian Allen and Max Llewellyn providing depth. Caden Crawford also got some limited run last year (3 snaps on D). Kenny Merrieweather will be a RS FR but needs to still add strength. It's unlikely that the freshman (Joseph Anderson, Chima Chineke, and Drew Campbell) will be asked to play much of a role on defense.

I'm a bit concerned with the interior DL. Graves and Black provide a potentially elite starting duo, but the depth is limited. Jeremiah Pittman has the third most experience (only 139 snaps) and his play wasn't great. He wasn't relied on to play many snaps as the season progressed. However, he is entering his fourth year and therefore there is hope that everything clicks. Walk on Luke Gaffney actually has the fourth most experience, with a whopping 1 snap on defense. Jeff Bowie hasn't been able to stay healthy. Chase Brackney and Maddux Borcherding-Johnson are still very green and incoming FR Devan Kennedy needs to add a lot of weight and strength before he can be relied on. It is possible that Brian Allen could get some snaps inside, as he is pretty large already and likely not done adding weight. Maybe the staff also moves Griffin Liddle back to DT, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy either and has yet to play a snap either side of the ball.

LB will be set if Jackson comes back. Higgins and Jackson is a crazy good duo. I'm guessing Karson Sharar takes over for Fisher, but Jaden Harrell and Jaxon Reroth will also compete for that spot. There are a lot of ST contributors like Twedt, Montgomery, Telander, and Pollock. Aidan Hall played some limited STs as well. Van Kekerix is on scholly. But I think the future at LB is Kueter, Weisskopf, Buffington, and Reis. Looks like a bright future there.

Assuming Cooper is gone, the CBs will be Harris and Lee, with TJ Hall, Deavin Hilson, and John Nestor providing depth. Teegan Davis has been injured and I believe he was still in a boot during the Big 10 Championship. Who knows when he will be healthy enough to play. Godfrey and Watson will be incoming freshman. If Castro leaves, then I suspect that Nestor might be next in line for CASH. If Schulte comes back then he will start next to X, with Entringer and Kolarik serving as backups. Zach Lutmer might push for a spot on the two-deeps too. Khalil Tate will be entering his second year and could also practice at corner.

If Cooper, Schulte, Castro, and Jackson come back, then we are set. If not, then we should be looking to add another corner and possibly safety in the portal, depending on how the staff feels about Lutmer, Tate, Hilson, Davis, etc. I haven't heard too many rumblings about Iowa looking for DT help in the portal, but I think it would be smart for them to do so.

Chris Reames had a chance to come back but decided he is done with football and is not coming back.

Thanks for the great write up. Do you see Koen Entringer as 2nd string safety or possibly starting? Or does he need another year in the system?

Oh and Logan Lee does look good enough for an NFL draft or Free Agent chance. Actually the Cowboys could use him now for run stopping as the Boys are pretty light in the DLine middle

Thanks for the great write up. Do you see Koen Entringer as 2nd string safety or possibly starting? Or does he need another year in the system?
If Schulte comes back, then Entringer will be the third safety. If not, then he will likely start (unless they surprisingly bring in a transfer). The staff likes his potential and sees him as a future starter. I'm guessing that Schulte returns though.

Would we be better utilizing Nwankpa’s athleticism at OLB and having him gain 15 lbs? Would he be better there?

Would we be better utilizing Nwankpa’s athleticism at OLB and having him gain 15 lbs? Would he be better there?
I've never really considered this, but my initial thought is that I'd much rather have a safety with his range than a linebacker, especially given how a main focus of Iowa's defense is not giving up big plays

Logan Lee technically has a year of eligibility left, but has said that he is not returning. Chris Reames and Kyler Fisher have a sixth year to use as well, but it doesn't appear that either have been asked to return. That might change if Nick Jackson decides to not take his extra year. We are still waiting on Castro, Schulte, and Jackson to decide (as well as DeJean obviously).

DE looks good with Craig and Hurkett starting, and Brian Allen and Max Llewellyn providing depth. Caden Crawford also got some limited run last year (3 snaps on D). Kenny Merrieweather will be a RS FR but needs to still add strength. It's unlikely that the freshman (Joseph Anderson, Chima Chineke, and Drew Campbell) will be asked to play much of a role on defense.

I'm a bit concerned with the interior DL. Graves and Black provide a potentially elite starting duo, but the depth is limited. Jeremiah Pittman has the third most experience (only 139 snaps) and his play wasn't great. He wasn't relied on to play many snaps as the season progressed. However, he is entering his fourth year and therefore there is hope that everything clicks. Walk on Luke Gaffney actually has the fourth most experience, with a whopping 1 snap on defense. Jeff Bowie hasn't been able to stay healthy. Chase Brackney and Maddux Borcherding-Johnson are still very green and incoming FR Devan Kennedy needs to add a lot of weight and strength before he can be relied on. It is possible that Brian Allen could get some snaps inside, as he is pretty large already and likely not done adding weight. Maybe the staff also moves Griffin Liddle back to DT, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy either and has yet to play a snap either side of the ball.

LB will be set if Jackson comes back. Higgins and Jackson is a crazy good duo. I'm guessing Karson Sharar takes over for Fisher, but Jaden Harrell and Jaxon Reroth will also compete for that spot. There are a lot of ST contributors like Twedt, Montgomery, Telander, and Pollock. Aidan Hall played some limited STs as well. Van Kekerix is on scholly. But I think the future at LB is Kueter, Weisskopf, Buffington, and Reis. Looks like a bright future there.

Assuming Cooper is gone, the CBs will be Harris and Lee, with TJ Hall, Deavin Hilson, and John Nestor providing depth. Teegan Davis has been injured and I believe he was still in a boot during the Big 10 Championship. Who knows when he will be healthy enough to play. Godfrey and Watson will be incoming freshman. If Castro leaves, then I suspect that Nestor might be next in line for CASH. If Schulte comes back then he will start next to X, with Entringer and Kolarik serving as backups. Zach Lutmer might push for a spot on the two-deeps too. Khalil Tate will be entering his second year and could also practice at corner.

If Cooper, Schulte, Castro, and Jackson come back, then we are set. If not, then we should be looking to add another corner and possibly safety in the portal, depending on how the staff feels about Lutmer, Tate, Hilson, Davis, etc. I haven't heard too many rumblings about Iowa looking for DT help in the portal, but I think it would be smart for them to do so.
Very thorough sir

That’s what made Thompson leaving so confusing. He looked like he was going to get some playing time next year on the defensive line. Maybe there were other reasons behind his departure.

How is it Joe Evan’s has not been mentioned? His big plays w sacks and passes knocked down will be big to replace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT