ADVERTISEMENT

What happens IF B Ferentz has a bad year?

If BF drops a turd, he should go to his old man and have him fire two coaches and hire two recruiters. These two should be able to sell conservatism to the Iowa faculty, sleep in airports, drive 12 hours in a blizzard and live in a tent in a good recruit's front yard.
Are you for real??

Are you for real??

Hard to tell if he is or isn't but I noticed 5 time Cross Country state champ Scott/Scout Hawk so I'd ask him he might know....He is the only one who knows how to get results and it takes plenty of trips to the message board to piss, moan, air your grievances and "show" everyone how serious you are and you know how to hold people accountable...just not yourself.

Meanwhile the rest of us live in the real world...

If the O is WORSE than last year, then he needs to take a hike!
1st year or not, he better find a way to make it better than last year!

If it's going bad KF takes the blame if going good KF gives credit to the staff.Thats just the way KF has been since day 1.

Agreed but honestly as many have said it was a tough year at times last year and I believe it will naturally go up and I also think we made some great hires...on a side-note I chuckle sometimes that all these "strong types" in here that holler and scream and point fingers & call people out that are clearly oblivious to the fact that there are people in their workplaces and in their circles that are talking crap about them and saying how dumb and how out of touch they are & it makes me smile.

It really is funny if you think about it I've worked with a number of guys that were real problems, always complaining about how everybody did anything and when you set them down and told them about what other people were saying about them, they came unglued. People really are dumb enough to think they've got it all figured out, they're doing everything right and nobody is burning their houses down....

I hate to post the negatives but being his first year under the OC, let's say Iowa takes a monster nose dive.. who gets the brunt of the blame? KO OR BF? As I said I hate posting negatives and don't see a disaster heading that way but this is common and happens.. unfortunately it could but my magic crystal ball doesn't see it that way (umm yeah ok ok I know)

I think some simplicity is needed in the passing game.. GD was awful and too complex with minimal results.. IOWA needs to open up the passing game as I think we will be more than fine with the running game... but to add a compliment to the running game you need to have some what of an existing receiving game (duh) X &O's Simple ... might be tough sledding with so many new faces besides for JV but we need some deep ball threats more importantly some receivers that can run correct routes for that to happen
Everyone.

Fire everyone.

I hate to post the negatives but being his first year under the OC, let's say Iowa takes a monster nose dive.. who gets the brunt of the blame? KO OR BF? As I said I hate posting negatives and don't see a disaster heading that way but this is common and happens.. unfortunately it could but my magic crystal ball doesn't see it that way (umm yeah ok ok I know)

I think some simplicity is needed in the passing game.. GD was awful and too complex with minimal results.. IOWA needs to open up the passing game as I think we will be more than fine with the running game... but to add a compliment to the running game you need to have some what of an existing receiving game (duh) X &O's Simple ... might be tough sledding with so many new faces besides for JV but we need some deep ball threats more importantly some receivers that can run correct routes for that to happen

If we're being completely honest... It can't get a whole lot worse than last year *knocks on wood*

I think the running game will be solid, and the passing game, couldn't be any worse.
I totally agree, barring injuries to the OL or RB position. Akinrabe will be a good one backing up Wadley. Kid has 4.4 speed and runs well between the tackles.
OL should be salty this year which generally helps a young QB. I think TE play should be good and WR's can only get better.

I think the only thing that could get worse, is turnovers. With a new QB, you just never know exactly what they'll struggle with in game (or excel at). You can get some ideas from practice, and the hope is you are preparing them for what they'll see so that they can stay within the systems and focus on doing things they are capable of instead of straining to make plays that they can't, which end up as mistakes.

I could easily see 8-5 fall to 7-6 or 6-7 with some ill-timed turnovers. I think that is likely on the low end of possibilities, given the futility of our passing game last year and the returning core of our line and running game.

I think the running game will be solid, and the passing game, couldn't be any worse.
b46e506397d2fc10e5a2cad58f419544.jpg

I wish I was getting paid. I admit this post was over the top but I was not and am not a fan of this move by Kirk. I do hope it works but I'm not holding my breath. I am sick and tired of Iowa's annually awful offense no matter who is coordinator.

Many of us on here like being Iowa fans and although we wouldn't mind seeing some improvements were not continually up in arms like you ....

See although I agree the offense leaves a lot to be desired at times! Football like life is an amalgamation of things, so although it's easy to discern the offense is underachieving to a degree we still beat Michigan with that putrid offense. So in reality every unit and likely every single player in about every game was a step slow, made a poor read or failed in a manner that allowed us to lose the game.

I suppose maybe that's higher level thinking to most people but the reality is no one unit, no one person, no one group of people lose or fail at anything.

And the reason that people who so loosely criticize others irritate me so much is because they too have many failings, Yet they feel empowered enough to come on a message board blindly, with no repercussion, hidden from criticism themselves all the while pissing & moaning about the faulings of others.

Not just every now and then, not just after a tough loss, hell we all get frustrated about that...these people are doing it constantly, without fail, over and over and over and that tells me they are boorish tired exhausting crappy human beings!

Last edited:
Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Many of us on here like being Iowa fans and although we wouldn't mind seeing some improvements were not continually up in arms like you ....

See although I agree the offense leaves a lot to be desired at times! Football like life is an amalgamation of things, so although it's easy to discern the offense is underachieving to a degree we still beat Michigan with that putrid offense. So in reality every unit and likely every single player in about every game was a step slow, made a poor read or failed in a manner that allowed us to lose the game.

I suppose maybe that's higher level thinking to most people but the reality is no one unit, no one person, no one group of people lose or fail at anything.

And the reason that people who so loosely criticize others irritate me so much is because they too have many failings, Yet they feel empowered enough to come on a message board blindly, with no repercussion, hidden from criticism themselves all the while pissing & moaning about the faulings of others.

Not just every now and then, not just after a tough loss, hell we all get frustrated about that...these people are doing it constantly, without fail, over and over and over and that tells me they are boorish tired exhausting crappy human beings!

I took it as sarcasm but don't know the history of his posts. I do agree with your point in ways but the offense has to improve. I think any realistic fan can agree that our defense can't be on the field as much as they were last year and sustain success. Our defense carried us most of the year and sometimes that happens. Sometimes a unit has shortcomings and the rest of the team as a whole has to pick them up. The Hawks did that in a big way last year but we can't "expect" that to be the case every year.

Our offense needs to stay on the field by pass protecting, getting open and converting 3rd downs. I don't expect us to score like Big 12 teams and frankly hate that style of football, but they need to manage the game. The good offenses under KF have been able to do so. Get AW in space, use the Tight Ends, and for the love of God give Stanley some time to step up in the pocket and convert throws. Noah Fant should present quite the mismatch on linebackers and hopefully at least one receiver can step up outside of MV (assuming his foot is good to go).

This offense has a chance to be pretty good if executed correctly. I like the thought of going back to the old school Iowa offensive scheme. We don't need 4.3 guys coming in every year to be successful. We need guys who can get off a press, run good routes, and get open. If they can do that and run a 4.3 as well then that is outstanding but our offense is about moving down the field methodically and letting the defense catch their breath. We will get our fair share of big plays from the running game and some from quick routes broken to the house but when those are being taken away STAY ON THE FIELD AND CONVERT THIRD DOWNS. Easier said than done, and painfully obvious, but it is what makes this offense go.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If they go 12-0 and head to the Rose Bowl I will personally send you and your family or significant all to Pasadena with hotel accommodations and your choice of poison (booze)
If they go 12-0 with this years schedule they wouldn't be going to Pasadena.

New Orleans? Or left out of the playoffs altogether? Just curious what you're thinking.

While not impossible, it's really difficult to see how the passing game could be worse than last year. I don't expect great improvement. If they could even get the passing offense into the 80s that would be great(that works for both the NCAA passing O rankings and the 1980s of Fry/Long ;)).

As for evaluating BF this year, it will be lenient. Unless the offense completely collapses.

While not impossible, it's really difficult to see how the passing game could be worse than last year. I don't expect great improvement. If they could even get the passing offense into the 80s that would be great(that works for both the NCAA passing O rankings and the 1980s of Fry/Long ;)).

The only way I could see the passing game being worse is if somehow instead of what we had this year (incomplete, short completion worth little, sack) we ended up with all of those things AND more interceptions.

Of course I know (have to put a cmhawk99 disclaimer here) that the offense completed some useful passes and I'm intentionally leaving those out. I am, after all, a flawed man who never realizes his own faults at work, etc etc etc.

I think this year is going to be filled with growing pains. Not just because of a first year starter at QB, and lack of depth/talent at WR, but because the schedule is going to be very difficult. We are hosting the defending B1G champion, as well as a CFP semi finalist (PSU and OSU). We have road games at Ames, East Lansing, Madison, and Lincoln. Those are going to be tough contests under the best of circumstances. So while BF can tweak some things in an effort to better fit our talent, the competition will be more talented often times, or the game will be played in a hostile environment. Neither of those things suggests a stellar season when you combine it with inexperience at QB and lack of depth/talent at WR, no matter who is coordinating the offense. I think we will improve statistically, but may fall back in the win/loss column. As for what happens if our win total is not acceptable, history suggests that fans will complain and Ferentz will hold a press conference and say nothing new.

New Orleans? Or left out of the playoffs altogether? Just curious what you're thinking.
My mistake, I didn't see that the rose bowl was part of the "Playoffs" this year. If they were to go 12-0 in the regular season that would include wins over PSU, Wisconsin, and OSU. They would be in. (not going to happen).

Great article by Leistikow of the DSM Register about a 25 minute snippet of yesterday's practice. Really good reviews about the offense from everyone including defensive players who really have to be on their toes, after years of knowing exactly where every play was going.

Sadly - he mentioned that during the Penn St game, PSU defenders could be seen pointing to exactly what hole the play was going to be run, well before the snap. Anyone shocked?

Leistikow was generally impressed.

Emmert then had a piece about all of the injuries to the DLine. Neither of the Nelson boys are practicing and neither is Bazata, who is still trying to overcome an ankle injury sustained vs Wisconsin in October. Jewel is full speed, but they only let him play a few downs here and there, to keep him from getting hurt.

Finally, not in either DSM Register piece, but some third-hand info about MVB's foot: this foot re-injury may be a lot worse than anyone at Camp Kinnick is telling the public. Apparently, new surgery with new pins, etc... so I am not sure we should expect him to be 100% this year.

Great article by Leistikow of the DSM Register about a 25 minute snippet of yesterday's practice. Really good reviews about the offense from everyone including defensive players who really have to be on their toes, after years of knowing exactly where every play was going.

Sadly - he mentioned that during the Penn St game, PSU defenders could be seen pointing to exactly what hole the play was going to be run, well before the snap. Anyone shocked?

Leistikow was generally impressed.

Emmert then had a piece about all of the injuries to the DLine. Neither of the Nelson boys are practicing and neither is Bazata, who is still trying to overcome an ankle injury sustained vs Wisconsin in October. Jewel is full speed, but they only let him play a few downs here and there, to keep him from getting hurt.

Finally, not in either DSM Register piece, but some third-hand info about MVB's foot: this foot re-injury may be a lot worse than anyone at Camp Kinnick is telling the public. Apparently, new surgery with new pins, etc... so I am not sure we should expect him to be 100% this year.
I could swear I saw Bazata practicing in drills during some of the pictures. Someone posted earlier that some of the pins in MVB's foot snapped. That would line up with what your saying. If he can't play, sure hope Easley, and Van Dyne can step into that possesion reciever role.

Definitely not shocked, but admittedly this was discussed on the board after that game. One of the PSU defenders, I forget who, but I think he was LB or a safety, was seen on video pointing and getting everybody else into position. Disgusting to me that Iowa could fall into those traps.

And yes, I already somebody is teeing up the "well, how did they beat Michigan" reply ...

Definitely not shocked, but admittedly this was discussed on the board after that game. One of the PSU defenders, I forget who, but I think he was LB or a safety, was seen on video pointing and getting everybody else into position. Disgusting to me that Iowa could fall into those traps.

And yes, I already somebody is teeing up the "well, how did they beat Michigan" reply ...

Honestly...how did they or a better question is how did PSU lose to UM by 39? That is a valid and good question? Norm Chow said "if" your offense is executing the way they should be, it doesn't matter if you tell the other team the exact play. We didn't lose the PSU game because they "knew" what we were doing....or a more Truthful statement is, for the most part EVERY team knew what we were doing and we had a VERY good idea what they were doing as well...that's why they scout and watch film, very little tricking going on in football, regardless of what the proletariat thinks....:D

Reactions: kceasthawk
Honestly...how did they or a better question is how did PSU lose to UM by 39? That is a valid and good question? Norm Chow said "if" your offense is executing the way they should be, it doesn't matter if you tell the other team the exact play. We didn't lose the PSU game because they "knew" what we were doing....or a more Truthful statement is, for the most part EVERY team knew what we were doing and we had a VERY good idea what they were doing as well...that's why they scout and watch film, very little tricking going on in football, regardless of what the proletariat thinks....:D

My guess is Iowa changed some of their pre-snap calls or routines after that PSU game. If you disagree I'm happy to hear why. I'd have a hard time believing Harbaugh and his staff didn't watch that game a few times. Of course, credit to Ferentz and his staff for making adjustments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT