ADVERTISEMENT

What happens when you die?

For one, what leads you to believe God is the one who gave her Rett Syndrome?
God created everything, right? He's all powerful, yeah? Omnipotent or whatever the hell. So, God decided to create Rett Syndrome? What kind of God creates disease and syndromes, but it's still, "God is Love" from the believers. Why the hell would a god who can control literally everything create famine, plague, disease, etc if they loved everyone? Or, is God not all powerful? If God is not all powerful, then why worship? "God created plague to punish people," then "God is not Love".

God created everything, right? He's all powerful, yeah? Omnipotent or whatever the hell. So, God decided to create Rett Syndrome? What kind of God creates disease and syndromes, but it's still, "God is Love" from the believers. Why the hell would a god who can control literally everything create famine, plague, disease, etc if they loved everyone? Or, is God not all powerful? If God is not all powerful, then why worship? "God created plague to punish people," then "God is not Love".
Those musings by and large miss the point of my original question.

Assume we were divinely created by a higher power and have, to a large extent, free will. Is global warming God’s fault?

The characteristics of God, as you have outlined or brought into question, is a different conversation.

Those musings by and large miss the point of my original question.

Assume we were divinely created by a higher power and have, to a large extent, free will. Is global warming God’s fault?

The characteristics of God, as you have outlined or brought into question, is a different conversation.
I believe that either God is all powerful, or he isn't. If he isn't, he's not "God". God, being all powerful, created Rett Syndrome and decides who gets Rett Syndrome, to answer your original question.

You think it's awesome "God" gave your daughter Rett Syndrome?
Of course not. I don't pretend to know all the answers. Its certainly an imperfect world that we all are born into. Unfair to say the least. What I do know is that God has blessed us with the means and the support to care for our daughter and give her the best life possible. Evil and sorrow and tragedy exist in this world in abundant amounts. I believe God provides the ultimate solution to this through His grace. He has even blessed you.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
That's the point, though. If this is all I get, why would I want to end it, especially if I believe it's all I get? That's like sitting at the Iowa-Ohio State game in 2017 with Iowa up by 31 points, knowing it would never happen again, and leaving in the 3rd quarter. I wanted to savor every second of it.

Look, I'd love to have faith. I'd love to believe there's something after this life to look forward to. I just don't see any evidence of it. All the evidence that is put forward is either unverifiable or contradictory. In my perception, it's literally The Greatest Story Ever Told, but it's just that, a story.

As I said before, if having faith gives you peace and comfort and hope, that's wonderful. I wish you nothing but the best. I'm happy to debate it, and you're welcome to try to convince me that I'm wrong. It's when one of us tries to force our beliefs on the other that it becomes a problem.
Like I said, I use to consider myself an atheist, but logically I can’t reconcile your first paragraph. To me, it makes no sense. It’s a cop out. IMO. The end result is going to be the same no matter what you do. It’s over Rocky. Nobody is going to know or care. In the end what difference will any of your actions or decisions you make have? Absolutely none. Which makes everything you do meaningless.

I use to consider myself a staunch atheist from my mid teens to mid twenties. I spent many a night in the early days of the internet arguing/debating against Christianity in the AOL chat rooms. Good times. After my views changed, I spent my time arguing against atheists too. To me both sides made no sense, but at least the Christians had faith.

This is going to sound harsh (but mid 20’s Chuck C didn’t GAF) I would always ask atheists if they were true to their beliefs, and there was nothing more to this life than what they have now, let’s see how strong your faith in atheism is and kill yourself now. What difference does it make? Sure you can say things like, “ I’m living my best life for my family and kids, so they can have the best lives they can.” In the end, it doesn’t matter. You’re dead, they’re dead, everything’s dead. You living a “good life” doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. The universe will grow cold either way.

I don’t argue with atheists or Christians anymore. IMO it’s pointless, just like politics, most people have no interest in an actual discussion, they’re just waiting their turn to get their word in, and blindly push their side,
Internet discussion involving heavy topics on open forums like this are rarely productive. It's mostly just people venting. Observing these discussions, however, is very enlightening when studying an opponents thought processes and use of reason - or lack thereof - to make a point can help one refine one's own arguments and understanding of a topic.

Reactions: Chuck C
Not really. It's a simplistic way of looking at it devoid of any context, or real understanding of who God is or how He set up the natural world.
590dK8f.png

Yes, you are absolutely correct. In fact, my oldest daughter was born with Rett Syndrome. (Google it) She cannot walk, or talk and most likely wont ever be able to. She will never be able to care for herself. Yet, God provides for her (and ours at parents ) needs in many ways. It's not what I or anyone else would have signed up for as a parent, yet she has taught us so much. (she is now age 25) and brings us so much joy.

Yes, God is awesome. He brings us hope in a world that is compromised by evil and death.
I say this as a Christian. Incredibly flawed and often a poor excuse for a Christian; but I am a believer:

I admire your faith.

May you and your family continue to receive God’s blessings.

Like I said, I use to consider myself an atheist, but logically I can’t reconcile your first paragraph. To me, it makes no sense. It’s a cop out. IMO. The end result is going to be the same no matter what you do. It’s over Rocky. Nobody is going to know or care. In the end what difference will any of your actions or decisions you make have? Absolutely none. Which makes everything you do meaningless.
Well, to me basing my decisions and morality on an imaginary invisible sky man is a cop out. I’ve tried to be pretty civil in this conversation, but you seem to want to use your faith as a reason to judge me, which I find typical.

Edit: And after thinking about this, I think it gives my actions more meaning knowing that I don't just get to repent all the bad things at the end and get a do over. Talk about a cop out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougar63
Well, to me basing my decisions and morality on an imaginary invisible sky man is a cop out. I’ve tried to be pretty civil in this conversation, but you seem to want to use your faith as a reason to judge me, which I find typical.

Edit: And after thinking about this, I think it gives my actions more meaning knowing that I don't just get to repent all the bad things at the end and get a do over. Talk about a cop out.
My faith? I already stated I don’t believe in Christianity. I find a monotheistic god just as much an untenable belief as absolute atheism. IMO, neither belief makes sense, hence what I said about atheism.

If there is a Heaven, I believe I will make it as I am a somewhat good person.

However, if the Bible is correct than I am screwed.

Like I said, I have always had trouble with only believers going to Heaven. Some of the nicest and most giving people I know aren't Christians. Some of the biggest jerks I know are believers. The only "charity" they have done is drive to Chick-fil-A because they are anti gay bigots.

Reactions: Cougar63
My faith? I already stated I don’t believe in Christianity. I find a monotheistic god just as much an untenable belief as absolute atheism. IMO, neither belief makes sense, hence what I said about atheism.
But you still believe in some greater that will miraculously grant you some sort of life after death, despite no evidence it exists. All I’m saying is I can’t make that leap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT