ADVERTISEMENT

What happens when you die?

Chuck C

HR Legend
Mar 6, 2011
Growing up I was a staunch atheist, I’m more of an agnostic now. Even though I sent my daughter to a Lutheran school, I’m not religious. In my own mind, I’m 98% sure the Christian faith is wrong. In my youth I spent many a night arguing on the old AOL forums over religion. All it did was bolster my belief that organized religion was wrong.

The problem I’ve always had with religion is, it promotes stagnation of thought. It tells you what to believe. **** that. I don’t believe the same things about life as I did 5, 10, or 15 years ago. My theology is changing as my life is changing.

ONTH, I have a problem with staunch atheists. I think that is a bullshit belief too.

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, it’s the only thing that makes sense. Life is one big school. We’re all here to learn. We’re all on different paths.. Maybe we’re all God. The only way for God to be omniscient and to be able to judge us is to live the exact life we have lived. Nobody can judge you, except yourself.

I’m OK not knowing what happens. I’m OK in dying and having zero faith n the Christian theology. Personally, I believe there’s a lot more to existence than just this life, what it is, I don’t know. I am perfectly ok not knowing.

Growing up I was a staunch atheist, I’m more of an agnostic now. Even though I sent my daughter to a Lutheran school, I’m not religious. In my own mind, I’m 98% sure the Christian faith is wrong. In my youth I spent many a night arguing on the old AOL forums over religion. All it did was bolster my belief that organized religion was wrong.

The problem I’ve always had with religion is, it promotes stagnation of thought. It tells you what to believe. **** that. I don’t believe the same things about life as I did 5, 10, or 15 years ago. My theology is changing as my life is changing.

ONTH, I have a problem with staunch atheists. I think that is a bullshit belief too.

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, it’s the only thing that makes sense. Life is one big school. We’re all here to learn. We’re all on different paths.. Maybe we’re all God. The only way for God to be omniscient and to be able to judge us is to live the exact life we have lived. Nobody can judge you, except yourself.

I’m OK not knowing what happens. I’m OK in dying and having zero faith n the Christian theology. Personally, I believe there’s a lot more to existence than just this life, what it is, I don’t know. I am perfectly ok not knowing.
There is way more good than bad in Christianity. If for no other reason, it builds community by getting involved with like minded people. This very possibly could be the most important part of religion.

The other part is a way of understanding and explaining history. There are a lot of mentions of cataclysmic events in the bible. It is very possible these are stories that had been passed down 10+ thousand years ago. Thats kind of cool.

Think of religion as an idea. The stories in the bible are a collection of previously told stories. All are different peoples interpretation of some real events and some made up events.

Last edited:
There is way more good than bad in Christianity. If for no other reason, it builds community by getting involved with like minded people. This very possibly could be the most important part of religion.

The other part is a way of understanding and explaining history. There are a lot of mensions of cataclysmic events in the bible. It is very possible these are stories that had been passed down 10+ thousand years ago. Thats kind of cool.

Think of religion as an idea. The stories in the bible are a collection of previously told stories. All are different peoples interpretation of some real events and some made up events.
It also allows people to believe in things like the rapture. Meaning: they don’t have to worry about taking care of the planet we have.

The other part is a way of understanding and explaining history. There are a lot of mensions of cataclysmic events in the bible. It is very possible these are stories that had been passed down 10+ thousand years ago. Thats kind of cool.

I actually agree with you. Like I said in the OP, I sent my daughter to a Lutheran school for 2-8th grade. Neither I or my wife are religious. The sense of community and togetherness we got from the private religious school compared to the public school was night and day.

It also allows people to believe in things like the rapture. Meaning: they don’t have to worry about taking care of the planet we have.
It creates another place to unload your problems on to. This creates comfort for a lot of people. It is very freeing to offload your problems onto Jesus. And Jesus is always willing to listen and accept your problems.

Even if a person does not believe god exists, a person can still get a lot of good out of belonging to a religion.

Reactions: Chuck C
My mother worked hospice since it was hospice. Too many stories. She witnessed come back back from from heaven and hell. The hell shit Is scary. She had one patient that she had just taken care of her mother too and she stood above her in bed and just said thank you at four in the morning. Thought it had to be a dream. Came to work and was told that Vivian died at around four. She said I know. Happened twice the other time the person was at the end of her bed and thanked her. I had to live with haunted woman, it was creepy. I’d love to go into the hell shit, but it happened too much. No fire, just torture. She is a strong Catholic I’m sure her job made her stronger. She has no doubt of afterlife, she’ll still question religion. She’s read every book about it, but she should write her own. I know, I know and so did she that this was bullshit. Her sister bought her a psychic reading in Waverly she reluctantly went. First person was Vivian, the woman who’s mother died and called our house every night after then died shortly after from breast cancer. Vivian as usual couldn’t shut up. They call my mother the angel of death. I don’t want to know what she knows. The hell part. There’s good stories too, but who cares about those. She ran the hospice house for over twenty years. Think of that job.

Unfortunately when it all just stops for me, I have family that will have to deal with what I’ve left behind.
It’s going to all stop for all of us. You just have a more defined finish-line. All we can do is prepare the best we can and be ready for whatever the next step may be.

Me, personally, I’m an exceptionally flawed Christian. If I make it to heaven, it’s only by the grace of Christ.

I think of you often and hope that you can fight your illness with the utmost strength and determination and that medicine will one day defeat that illness.

My mother worked hospice since it was hospice. Too many stories. She witnessed come back back from from heaven and hell. The hell shit Is scary. She had one patient that she had just taken care of her mother too and she stood above her in bed and just said thank you at four in the morning. Thought it had to be a dream. Came to work and was told that Vivian died at around four. She said I know. Happened twice the other time the person was at the end of her bed and thanked her. I had to live with haunted woman, it was creepy. I’d love to go into the hell shit, but it happened too much. No fire, just torture. She is a strong Catholic I’m sure her job made her stronger. She has no doubt of afterlife, she’ll still question religion. She’s read every book about it, but she should write her own. I know, I know and so did she that this was bullshit. Her sister bought her a psychic reading in Waverly she reluctantly went. First person was Vivian, the woman who’s mother died and called our house every night after then died shortly after from breast cancer. Vivian as usual couldn’t shut up. They call my mother the angel of death. I don’t want to know what she knows. The hell part. There’s good stories too, but who cares about those. She ran the hospice house for over twenty years. Think of that job.

Hard to read? Yes I was on ambien writing with one open. It’s just wild her knowledge of the afterlife. You can’t question it. The hell stories are stuff I always blocked out. Pure hell is what they are. Patients screaming that are so medicated they shouldn’t be able to move. Then fear of going back. She had to walk them back to hell. She’s spend a lot of time with church and does funerals too. She all in with death. She said dudes come in all tough about death, but she’s never witnessed one person that didn’t freak out when it came or died and came back. Everyone is scared of the unknown and should be.

I am a Christian who was fortunate enough to have a born again experience. I would encourage you to explore Judaism, which encourages challenging and critically thinking as a part of your faith journey. Approach Judaism from a standpoint of academic curiosity. I believe it would address what you say as your problem with religion. Judaism does not promote stagnation of thought. It promotes, encourages and guides constantly challenging thoughts. Enjoy your journey!

It’s going to all stop for all of us. You just have a more defined finish-line. All we can do is prepare the best we can and be ready for whatever the next step may be.

Me, personally, I’m an exceptionally flawed Christian. If I make it to heaven, it’s only by the grace of Christ.

I think of you often and hope that you can fight your illness with the utmost strength and determination and that medicine will one day defeat that illness.
This could not have been said any better. It is only by His grace. None of us are deserving no matter how hard we try or how many good deeds we perform.

The only constant is change. In my mind if there is a heaven, that has to change too.

I’ve literally never have heard this explanation before. Which Christian denomination (has to be a Christian one, because I don’t know if other religions have a “rapture” type event) teaches this thought?

Reactions: nolesincebirth
When a person dies, their body begins to decompose
and their soul goes to heaven if they believed in Christ.
If they are an unbeliever their soul goes to hell.

When Christ returns at the End of the World, body and
soul will be reunited. For believers this reunion will be
in heaven and for unbelievers this reunion will be in hell.
Heaven and Hell will be eternal and forever.

I believe everyone will have an opportunity to choose Christ, but for some reason there will be many who don't. I believe all people who want to go to heaven will go to heaven. They will be given the choice.

Likely, nothing other then ceasing to exist. My immortality will be achieved through my children who will carry the fire and my legacy. Hopefully, I have gave them the skills and tools to be contributing members to society. I hope to have made the world a better place for those who met me. Other than that darkness and eternal peace.

If I do meet God or Jesus, I'll make sure to have this conversation.

I’ve literally never have heard this explanation before. Which Christian denomination (has to be a Christian one, because I don’t know if other religions have a “rapture” type event) teaches this thought?

Not only is it the logical conclusion, but the entire “take no thought for the morrow” verse supports the idea pretty firmly.

Everyone is free to apply any line from scripture in isolation and without context.

Yes, content is always important when a verse does not suit your purpose, it never important when it does support your purpose. That much is very clear.

Bottom line, life on earth is immeasurably small compared to eternity, so it is impossible to justify any concern whatsoever for the rock on which we spend that brief moment of our existence.

Last edited:
Not only is it the logical conclusion, but the entire “take no thought for the morrow” verse supports the idea pretty firmly.

I think you’re forgetting multiple biblical stories about working hard and storing up for when inevitably hard times come. There’s so many instances of famine that they always talk about planning for the future.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I think you’re forgetting multiple biblical stories about working hard and storing up for when inevitably hard times come. There’s so many instances of famine that they always talk about planning for the future.

Are you telling me the bible contradicts itself? I've never heard that before...

Define "believer." Because the Church pushes "relationship with Christ." Are those the same to you?

If it’s interpreted the way you are, sure. However I don’t think it does at all especially in this instance.

lol at "interpret." The verse specifically downplays reaping, sowing, and storing food in barns. The only way for in to not be a contradiction is to go through tortured contortions to "interpret" it some way other than a straight reading.

It's a hodge-podge of disparate documents. Of course its filled with contradictions.

BossyIdolizedAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

Hospice workers, nurses, doctors all have stories to tell. And many are similar in ways that make you believe there’s a plan for moving on.
Some of us who have suddenly had a dear loved one leave us behind to grieve their loss have stories to tell also.

I think of the end of life as going to sleep and not waking up. Our spirit, our soul moves on. But that house (our body) our soul lived in is done. It served its purpose.
Yes I am a believer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT