ADVERTISEMENT

What have you liked so far over first 6 games? What can you nit pick? IOWA #1 in FTs Made&Attempted

I think when they said they were working on D they weren't kidding.

Also, we continue to score over 80 ppg.

What did we have, a 9 man rotation tonight? Looked great!

Thoughts?

This was my first look at this year's team.

I thought the defense looked very competent. I feel it will be a work in progress, as team's will adjust and attack differently. What you see now will also have to adjust. I was impressed.

T Cook is dynamic, but he needs to recognize when to give up the ball. Give up the ball, Tyler. Get yours without turning it so much!

The point guard position and ball movement in general was fine. I thought it would be, and it was.

The bench looks to be a boon, rather than a bust. Busy bodies that have their roles cut out for them.

At times, the team looked rattles as the game "tightened". Scout it and react accordingly. We just played 2 days against good comp. DON'T STUMBLE AGAINST LESSER COMPETITION!!

Garza should be a fan favorite. All he does is hustle and produce. And, if he's not producing, he's still hustling.

Moss got a little better. Joe looked lost or sick. I felt for him. He really looked out of place.

Jordan had me yelling at the TV early. What the Hell are you doing?!! Luckily, we have quality depth.

Maishe needs to be aggressive, as i heard him say during an interview.

Lastly, we are not world beaters just yet. We're 4 games into the season. A long season. I'm glad we're unbeaten, but I'll be even more glad if we look similar to this when the season ends. Build and improve and keep that defense defending. In my mind, the ONLY way we compete with the best teams is to defend, competently. During any off night on offense, the defense can keep you around without being 20 points down.

Good points. I like the rotations much better as well.

But I also liked how Fran brought JBo back in for a few minutes in the first half with 2 fouls. Not sure that would have happened last year, so maybe that's changing a little.

To some extent, Fran has no choice on rotations with Pemsl hurt. With Pemsl out, he has 9 scholarship guys and everyone gets decent amount of time. It means Cook, Kriener and Garza can rotate among 3 spots and all get time, and if Fran wants to go small he can just slide Baer to the 4. With this rotation, everyone has to be guarded out to the 3-point line, as Kriener and Garza can shoot and Cook has his dribble-drive game.

Joe is really good and will be fine. He was fine defensively and a willing rebounder. It was the speed of these next level teams that caught him off guard when passing and dribbling. He will adjust and it’s actually good to struggle some early as a young player.

I recall Luka starting off good last year and then struggling so mightily that Fran brought him off the bench for a series of games to settle him down. Later in the season when he returned to the starting line up and was really good.

I’m not worried about Joe at all.

This was my first look at this year's team.

I thought the defense looked very competent. I feel it will be a work in progress, as team's will adjust and attack differently. What you see now will also have to adjust. I was impressed.

T Cook is dynamic, but he needs to recognize when to give up the ball. Give up the ball, Tyler. Get yours without turning it so much!

The point guard position and ball movement in general was fine. I thought it would be, and it was.

The bench looks to be a boon, rather than a bust. Busy bodies that have their roles cut out for them.

At times, the team looked rattles as the game "tightened". Scout it and react accordingly. We just played 2 days against good comp. DON'T STUMBLE AGAINST LESSER COMPETITION!!

Garza should be a fan favorite. All he does is hustle and produce. And, if he's not producing, he's still hustling.

Moss got a little better. Joe looked lost or sick. I felt for him. He really looked out of place.

Jordan had me yelling at the TV early. What the Hell are you doing?!! Luckily, we have quality depth.

Maishe needs to be aggressive, as i heard him say during an interview.

Lastly, we are not world beaters just yet. We're 4 games into the season. A long season. I'm glad we're unbeaten, but I'll be even more glad if we look similar to this when the season ends. Build and improve and keep that defense defending. In my mind, the ONLY way we compete with the best teams is to defend, competently. During any off night on offense, the defense can keep you around without being 20 points down.
i still worry about the back 3; it seems like someone always comes along the baseline for a dunk or and easy 2

Tyler's handles have def improved but I agree; he tries taking on guards and they simply pick his pocket or he drives in a lane and he loses control or they steal the ball; sometimes I think he is trying to create tape for his next NBA audition where he can say, "See, I can dribble on the perimeter and i can take it to the hoop."

we know we can score; but like you said, the key will be getting stops on D

Love the way Iowa is looking right now. They’re actually playing defense this year which is also pretty neat. Fran playing/starting Moss makes no sense to me though. The kid is just not good. While guys like Bohannon, Kriener, Garza and Cook have improved Moss has done almost the opposite.

If he replaces Moss it has to be Daily. Cant replace a 2 year starter with your son until the rest of the team has total respect for him.

Fran is trying to keep Moss confidence high. He can play much better but hes running out of time to prove it IMO.

Last edited:

But I also liked how Fran brought JBo back in for a few minutes in the first half with 2 fouls. Not sure that would have happened last year, so maybe that's changing a little.

I think the only reason he did this is that he has Connor. Connor is definitely good for control. This helps Fran be more comfortable with JBo out.

The fact that 48 points came from two guys on our team... that's awesome. When one person is off, next man up. I think that's how this team is going to be all year. We seemed to have lacked that previous years. We might be able to play ok defense (not last couple) but we certainly weren't able to score. We have shooters/players all around the court this year.

We have two excellent players in the back court in
Bohannon and McCaffery. We have two excellent
players in the front court in Cook and Garza.

These four players form the foundation for Hawkeyes
to have a winning season. We will have a good
bench with genuine depth. The confidence should be
there after winning two games in Madison Square Garden..

I expect Wieskamp to be the second best player on the team sooner than latter this year. Hes slowing his role trying to fit in right now, its going to click soon.

Baer does not look comfortable taking the ball out versus a full-deny press.

Im not sure what to think about Baer in general. Theres really very little reason to be playing him at the 3 IMO now with Daily and Joe W. I like him better in spot minutes at the 4. He might be the 9th man on this team.

Reactions: And1Hawk
To some extent, Fran has no choice on rotations with Pemsl hurt. With Pemsl out, he has 9 scholarship guys and everyone gets decent amount of time. It means Cook, Kriener and Garza can rotate among 3 spots and all get time, and if Fran wants to go small he can just slide Baer to the 4. With this rotation, everyone has to be guarded out to the 3-point line, as Kriener and Garza can shoot and Cook has his dribble-drive game.

Huge blessing in disguise IMO.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Joe is really good and will be fine. He was fine defensively and a willing rebounder. It was the speed of these next level teams that caught him off guard when passing and dribbling. He will adjust and it’s actually good to struggle some early as a young player.

I recall Luka starting off good last year and then struggling so mightily that Fran brought him off the bench for a series of games to settle him down. Later in the season when he returned to the starting line up and was really good.

I’m not worried about Joe at all.

Hes hesitating just a bit. His instinct is to take the ball and go create but hes slowing down and looking for the pg right now. Once he gets a little confidence and realizes its ok to do what you do that will go away.

i still worry about the back 3; it seems like someone always comes along the baseline for a dunk or and easy 2

Tyler's handles have def improved but I agree; he tries taking on guards and they simply pick his pocket or he drives in a lane and he loses control or they steal the ball; sometimes I think he is trying to create tape for his next NBA audition where he can say, "See, I can dribble on the perimeter and i can take it to the hoop."

we know we can score; but like you said, the key will be getting stops on D

In regard to the cook comment, he is progressing as a player and what he worked on in the offseason. The more he does this the more confident he will be to take advantage of the mismatches out on the perimeter.

One thing I wish he did take advantage of is when there is a guard on him he needs to just back him down like Giannis does in the NBA. If there is a double he needs to find the open man and if not use your strengths and take the guard on the post. I think that will come to him as the season goes along but that’s my nit pick on his game at the moment and obviously FTs and his jump shot.

I expect Wieskamp to be the second best player on the team sooner than latter this year. Hes slowing his role trying to fit in right now, its going to click soon.
Joe maybe come the 5th best player behind these
Cook
Garza
JBo
Connor

Cook is being talked for his ability to draw fouls with his dribbling and drive to the basket. if Connor had not got hurt and missed last season, the outcome of a lot of games would have been different.

even Williams staying would have been a big help. Williams was a good defensive player and would have allowed JBo to play the 2 while Moss could have played the 3. which is where he played when Jok was here.

In regard to the cook comment, he is progressing as a player and what he worked on in the offseason. The more he does this the more confident he will be to take advantage of the mismatches out on the perimeter.

One thing I wish he did take advantage of is when there is a guard on him he needs to just back him down like Giannis does in the NBA. If there is a double he needs to find the open man and if not use your strengths and take the guard on the post. I think that will come to him as the season goes along but that’s my nit pick on his game at the moment and obviously FTs and his jump shot.
regarding Cook, he definitely has improved his handles. the tricky part is to not hurt your team by turning it over; his jump shot still needs work, imo

i agree with you; i would love to see him post up more, force the double team, and kick it out to JoBo or Joe

Reactions: BrunoMars420
One thing you can't take away? "You guys just won a championship in Madison Square Garden."

Must watch post game video here. Cook announced All Tourney. Garza announced MVP. Trophy presentation. Celebrating on center court. Interviews. Locker room fun.

Joe maybe come the 5th best player behind these
Cook
Garza
JBo
Connor

Cook is being talked for his ability to draw fouls with his dribbling and drive to the basket. if Connor had not got hurt and missed last season, the outcome of a lot of games would have been different.

even Williams staying would have been a big help. Williams was a good defensive player and would have allowed JBo to play the 2 while Moss could have played the 3. which is where he played when Jok was here.

What ever you say Herbie.

I think it may have been because he didn't want Connor playing all of the first half. He wanted to get him a rest. Fran probably realized he needed JBo or Connor out there at all times.

I think it may have been because he didn't want Connor playing all of the first half. He wanted to get him a rest. Fran probably realized he needed JBo or Connor out there at all times.
last night would have made a case for having 3 PG's.

Does Connor remind you of anyone? Look at that game face! ;);)

DsK5Fe-UwAA27qH.jpg

fran.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: unIowa
i just think it throws everything off playing a B1G game in Nov and early Dec; personally i would rather start the entire B1G season on Jan 1/2/3, like we used to

I understand your opinion. I’m very open to seeing us play meaningful basketball early and 20 league games. For me it just adds something as opposed to playing the Bryant type opponents. There’s more juice when something is on the line.

I understand your opinion. I’m very open to seeing us play meaningful basketball early and 20 league games. For me it just adds something as opposed to playing the Bryant type opponents. There’s more juice when something is on the line.
we just have to be ready (Wisc and Mich State right off the bat); didn't we lose our 1st 2 B1G games last year? then we went back to nonconf games for a month

we just have to be ready (Wisc and Mich State right off the bat); didn't we lose our 1st 2 B1G games last year? then we went back to nonconf games for a month

We did lose both; PSU & Purdue? I agree and this is a tough draw again this year and we do have to be ready — that’s part of the high stakes I like. Same is true for our opponents.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT