ADVERTISEMENT

What I don’t understand… Cade coming and Johnson/Bruce leave

I don’t blame any WRs from leaving

We are not a good fit no matter who is the QB. We run 60% of the time and when we do throw 25% of those we target TEs.

That leaves 15% of our offensive plays to WRs. That’s a lot of hard work blocking for maybe 2-3 targets a game.

If your goal is the next level I don’t know why any WRs would choose Iowa.
Minnasota runs more then any other team and they get good receivers . Hate to say it but I think it has to do with the OC . His offense is not wr friendly and with the CJ explosion at Purdue it does make it a hard sale

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I have heard from a little birdie that Bruce and even Johnson had second thoughts after hearing the McNamara news. Not sure if they are still second guessing, but I know they were right after. Also heard another WR might be on the way out.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Minnasota runs more then any other team and they get good receivers . Hate to say it but I think it has to do with the OC . His offense is not wr friendly and with the CJ explosion at Purdue it does make it a hard sale
There were only three teams with fewer passing TDs than Iowa (6) this season, one being Army West Point (5).

Silver lining for Army here is they had the second-fewest passing attempts in the country at 104 to Iowa’s 325.

There’s just so much wrong with our offense and every aspect of it.

If players go in the portal I think Iowa should not give them the option to return. Don’t need players that don’t want to be here no matter how good they think they are.
They should allow to come back in agreeable, but I would say the rule should be you put your name in once then you can’t go to it again until you are a graduate.

Reactions: Bishop1971
wrs want to get targets and catch passes. Blocking is part of the job, but I doubt it's the highlight.
Catching a couple of short passes per game is not going to get any good wr excited.
How does having a new qb with the same sh!t offense that you might get 3 throws your way on a good day entice a better quality of wr?

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
I honestly don’t blame any WR with skills for wanting out. What is Ferentz’s history of putting WRs into the NFL? A walk on recruited under Hayden Fry has the best NFL career. Smith-Marsette is in his 2nd year and has the next best career, but is struggling to stay on a team as he’s currently on his third roster with only 14 career appearances to this point. Marvin McNutt had 18 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Tevaun Smith had a grand total of 10 career plays on the field in the NFL regular season. Going old school, back to Hayden recruits, Bashir Yamini played in 6 games with no catches and Khalil Hill played in 1 with no catches but 4 punt returns.

Then there is Riley McCarron, who played in one NFL regular season game but got 26 plays on the field before being bumped back down to the pra squad and got a Super Bowl ring with the Patriots.

Not exactly a murderer’s row of success. So of course I understand why any talented wide receiver would consider looking elsewhere with the current portal and NIL rules.

Iowa has never done well with wide receivers in my lifetime of following the Hawks. The only Iowa receiver I can think of that played significant time in the NFL is Quinn Early who had a decade long career and at least one 1,000 yard season. It's somewhat odd that Iowa doesn't have a better history with receivers given that they had a string of something like 7 first team All Big Ten QBs in a 9 year period under Hayden.

Iowa has never done well with wide receivers in my lifetime of following the Hawks. The only Iowa receiver I can think of that played significant time in the NFL is Quinn Early who had a decade long career and at least one 1,000 yard season. It's somewhat odd that Iowa doesn't have a better history with receivers given that they had a string of something like 7 first team All Big Ten QBs in a 9 year period under Hayden.
DJK and McNutt were the best receiving duo we ever had in my opinion.

There’s also a stud TE possibly coming in which would take more targets away from them.

Most of these guys hope to play in the NFL, it’s a business decision.
Hope they prove me wrong but Bruce to the NFL? Don't see it. Johnson has been injured so hard to say. Made a few good plays last year but seems to lack the ability to get seperation. Best of luck to them, Iowa will find suitable replacements.

Reactions: cecilB
Cmon man you know it will be different with a QB that is more accurate and more of a leader and likely reads defenses better.
Very true, how often were WRs open downfield and Petras either didn't see them or chose to check it down instead

Very true, how often were WRs open downfield and Petras either didn't see them or chose to check it down instead
the turnstile o-line pass protection collapsed before our WRs could even get downfield. Petras and Padilla had to run for their lives all year.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m honestly not as sold on Cade as everyone else seems to be. Yes I believe he’s a major upgrade over Petrash. But let’s remember Cade was replaced last year in Michigan and honestly I don’t feel like the numbers he has put up have been that great.
Plus I think he’s had better players to throw to the last few years then what he’s going to get at iowa.
I hope he proves me wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
So a kid is alive for 18 years, with his last 3,4, even 5 spent doing everything he can to get a P5 scholarship while hanging on to the NFL dream..

..Said kid gets his scholarship and after just a year or two is suddenly supposed to care about the lives/football careers of his teammates more than his own?

No, don’t think so.
Spoken like someone who has never played a team sport. I feel bad for you. It’s a fun thing to look back on.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m honestly not as sold on Cade as everyone else seems to be. Yes I believe he’s a major upgrade over Petrash. But let’s remember Cade was replaced last year in Michigan and honestly I don’t feel like the numbers he has put up have been that great.
Plus I think he’s had better players to throw to the last few years then what he’s going to get at iowa.

Pretty solid numbers in 2021 when he played the full year. Hope he can come close to matching those numbers next year.

Spoken like someone who has never played a team sport. I feel bad for you. It’s a fun thing to look back on.
I won’t pretend like I know anything about you or your past because, well, I don’t. Just like you don’t know me or mine.

I played baseball from age 5 straight through senior year summer before heading to Iowa City. I played football from 8th through senior year. I ran track all four years.

So…just stop.

Maybe there’s much more to this than I would ever know but wouldn’t you think after landing Cade these wideouts would reconsider and maybe reconsider that this might be the best opportunity they have especially with a top notch proven player In McNamara? I was dreaming thinking some long deep balls from Cade to Johnson … even though Keagan is lighting it up in the portal with some major offers from ND and others you would think he would maybe take a harder look at the situation? Or is this a BF thing? KF thing? It just doesn’t seem to add up - I hope both these young man reconsider and pull their names out of the portal, otherwise all I can say is best to them both.. and wish them nothing but respect…

Quit worrying about. KJ had potential, but couldn’t get on the field. AB was diminutive with ok speed, good for 8 yd jet sweeps and anxiety when a punt or pass went his way.

DS an no chugged, Kevin Kasper, and Tim Dwight had better or equal pro careers to Wuinn. But, your point stands

You are a moron, and pathetic jock sniffing loser…for your assessment of McNamara, and you juvenile moniker for an injured, 3 yr, winning (yes, with flaws) B1G qb.

So a kid is alive for 18 years, with his last 3,4, even 5 spent doing everything he can to get a P5 scholarship while hanging on to the NFL dream..

..Said kid gets his scholarship and after just a year or two is suddenly supposed to care about the lives/football careers of his teammates more than his own?

No, don’t think so.
This is a perfect post to illustrate the difference between pure self-interest (hedonism) and loyalty to something, someone and some place.

It's not a bright objective line and there are value judgments that everyone makes in assessing someone's, hell anyone's conduct on the continuum of between say Alastair Crowely and Jesus Christ. What would be the typical response of an employer if a prospective employee said during their interview they will not be loyal and will jump ship if a better opportunity comes along. No one says that in an interview because no one would hire an applicant after such a disclosure.

Once a person abandons the concept of loyalty they can never be trusted again. The NIL and especially the portal today's athlete is incentivized to be disloyal and, frankly, dishonest in pursuit of "theirs". Well, that's a two way street. The transfers are saying **** Iowa, I've got a better deal elsewhere. So why wouldn't the Iowa fan, whose interest is Iowa's success not Keagan Johnson or Arland Bruce IV's personal success, simply respond with the same reaction, and say **** Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV, and prefer their failure as a means of a sort of karmic punishment rather than success which would provide a reward for hurting Iowa football? Pursuing one's self interest is a two-lane road.

I kinda agree with you. Obviously an upgrade but fans seem to be building up some pretty crazy expectations.

This is a perfect post to illustrate the difference between pure self-interest (hedonism) and loyalty to something, someone and some place.

It's not a bright objective line and there are value judgments that everyone makes in assessing someone's, hell anyone's conduct on the continuum of between say Alastair Crowely and Jesus Christ. What would be the typical response of an employer if a prospective employee said during their interview they will not be loyal and will jump ship if a better opportunity comes along. No one says that in an interview because no one would hire an applicant after such a disclosure.

Once a person abandons the concept of loyalty they can never be trusted again. The NIL and especially the portal today's athlete is incentivized to be disloyal and, frankly, dishonest in pursuit of "theirs". Well, that's a two way street. The transfers are saying **** Iowa, I've got a better deal elsewhere. So why wouldn't the Iowa fan, whose interest is Iowa's success not Keagan Johnson or Arland Bruce IV's personal success, simply respond with the same reaction, and say **** Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce IV, and prefer their failure as a means of a sort of karmic punishment rather than success which would provide a reward for hurting Iowa football? Pursuing one's self interest is a two-lane road.
So again, why do coaches never get judged to this standard?

They do? People call coaches scumbags all the time for lying to recruits and skipping town.
I'm just replying to Dog here, who's been calling out these guys for being so selfish.

Most coaches typically handle going to new jobs with respect - it's never going to be a completely clean process but for the most part coaches I think do the best they can during the hiring process. But the last two weeks have been entirely "get off my lawn" guys calling out players for deciding to transfer.

Its amazing to me that some of our fans that actually claim to watch these games look at our WR core and think that these WR’s are underutilized or aren’t getting enough touches.

These kids stunk it up this year. Couldn’t get separation. Didn’t make plays after the catch when they did get the ball. A bunch of times they ran timing routes where they didn’t execute the timing. They weren’t physical enough to get to the ball through the defender. They didn’t play with enough intensity to make sure that defenders caught flat footed would have to grab them on a double move. They didn’t find the soft spots in a zone defense. And 15 other things that happen when you’re a superior athlete and competitor at this level.

Diva WR’s with the career stats our guys have that hit the portal not to mention their wretched injury history are a dime a dozen. Addition by subtraction.

So again, why do coaches never get judged to this standard?
Well, they are judged by people by the same standard. At least by me. I would not have much interest in hiring a coach that just viewed Iowa as the next step on the career ladder. There was that puke at ISU back around 2009 that openly dissed the school that employed them. Just a stop on the way to Auburn.

Maybe NCAA coaches have to buy their way out of contract in the same way the school has to buy a coach out of a contract, if the coach wants to coach at another NCAA institution within say a three-year window. That might provide some deterrence. Unless it's a year the contract has expires and both sides are free to continue, change or terminate their relationship.

Well, they are judged by people by the same standard. At least by me. I would not have much interest in hiring a coach that just viewed Iowa as the next step on the career ladder. There was that puke at ISU back around 2009 that openly dissed the school that employed them. Just a stop on the way to Auburn.

Maybe NCAA coaches have to buy their way out of contract in the same way the school has to buy a coach out of a contract, if the coach wants to coach at another NCAA institution within say a three-year window. That might provide some deterrence. Unless it's a year the contract has expires and both sides are free to continue, change or terminate their relationship.

really weird how you view college coaching jobs and transfer portal different from any other career.

I kinda agree with you. Obviously an upgrade but fans seem to be building up some pretty crazy expectations.
People want hope lol. We need to start at center with a guy who can make the line calls and hike the ball. Then Work your way out to the left and right . If that is solid with a good QB we can win 10 next year. Hell this year with no offense we could have won 9.

I still believe if they announced a new OC it would help recruiting in the portal. Not saying the o would be better but right now perception is fact and that perception is Brian sucks.

I'm just replying to Dog here, who's been calling out these guys for being so selfish.

Most coaches typically handle going to new jobs with respect - it's never going to be a completely clean process but for the most part coaches I think do the best they can during the hiring process. But the last two weeks have been entirely "get off my lawn" guys calling out players for deciding to transfer.

I'm not sure what "get off my lawn" has to do with the subject. I'm not being mindlessly cranky. Do you not understand "loyalty" to be a virtue that should be encouraged, along with patience, perseverance and delayed gratification are good character traits? Don't you think the NCAA should implement policies that promote good character traits and disincentivizes rash, immature, and destructive behaviors?

It's a simple balancing test. There is no right to be a coach or a player. Those positions are privileges granted, literally, through the grace and favor of at least three different grantors: (1) the school/institution; (2) the conference and (3) the NCAA. All three can require the person seeking privilege surrender some of that person's own commercial freedom as consideration for the privilege.

Since the NCAA actually has the power to bring some order out of the NIL/portal chaos, should it not do so and restore some balance in the system? I'm not sure how pointing toward a broken system and suggest its improvement bespeaks geriatric rigidity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT