ADVERTISEMENT

What I don't understand.....

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
Why do we have average or less than average offenses year after year?

Why can just about every other team get good receivers but we can't?

Why is our playcalling usually dull and predictable?

Why is our defense almost always conservative?

Why do we rarely throw the ball in the middle of the field?

It is frustrating.

Why do we have average or less than average offenses year after year? Because we can never seem to get 11 senior four-year starters on a team at the same time.........

Why can just about every other team get good receivers but we can't? Because they don't want to go to Iowa.........

Why is our playcalling usually dull and predictable? Because other teams stop it......

Why is our defense almost always conservative? Would you rather they be more liberal?

Why do we rarely throw the ball in the middle of the field? Who are you expecting to be open enough to catch such a pass?.......

It is frustrating.

(3)Why do we have average or less than average offenses year after year?

(2)Why can just about every other team get good receivers but we can't?

(1)Why is our playcalling usually dull and predictable?

It is frustrating.

Those things are on the causality flow chart. (1) You play a style of ball that (2) you can't sell to a prospective recruit, especially a good one, and then (3) rely on role players or MAC level recruits and you're never going to be consistent.

Last year was a fun ride, but I knew it was going to lead to future letdowns. Ferentz is un-fireable again, Greg Davis gets to stay for as long as he wants, and we just get to hope the stars align again where there's an easy enough schedule and more things go Iowa's way with the right combination of average skill position players to have a good year.

Percentage football. Robot coaching. Down and distance dictate both offensive and defensive play calling. Play it safe and hope your opponent beats themselves. If not, that's football.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
Those things are on the causality flow chart. (1) You play a style of ball that (2) you can't sell to a prospective recruit, especially a good one, and then (3) rely on role players or MAC level recruits and you're never going to be consistent.

Last year was a fun ride, but I knew it was going to lead to future letdowns. Ferentz is un-fireable again, Greg Davis gets to stay for as long as he wants, and we just get to hope the stars align again where there's an easy enough schedule and more things go Iowa's way with the right combination of average skill position players to have a good year.
Even MAC teams have better receivers than we do. And D-2 (or whatever it is called now).

Reactions: 24 so far
The coaching staff refuses to stick with what works. We've had nothing but success this year with the up tempo offense and the coaching staff routinely ditches it. On the last drive, we went no huddle for a few plays, had success, then they went to the huddle when they reached Wisconsin's side of the field. Mind blowing

Why do we have average or less than average offenses year after year?
Lack of talent through most years
Why can just about every other team get good receivers but we can't?
Better at recruiting them than Iowa is
Why is our playcalling usually dull and predictable?
I think if the talent were better, the play calling would be more imaginative
I like our philosophy on defense...it I believe over-achieves given it's normal talent level, and is lights out when the talent is abundant
We do when we have more talent at all receiver positions

This year's offense - it's like if we had 1 bell cow "what round will he be drafted" tackle, if we had just one McNutt or Mo Brown type (tall enough along with good route running), if we had a HKC/CJF to compliment Fant/Kittle - I think the offense we'd see week in week out would be drastically different in play calling and results.

3 more pieces, and only 2 of them skill guys. Iowa could make do with EVERYBODY else we already have plus those additions. I honesty believe we have the guys on the roster right now, they are just plain not ready for prime time today.

The one thing defensively that is baffling to Doodle is how we don't bring extra pressure when the front four is not getting it done...and especially when playing a young, less experienced QB. Meanwhile, other teams are pressuring our senior, two-year starter with regularity. We let QBs get nice and comfy because we are worried about vacating a space....but then our LBs can't read keys and cover when they do say in their zones.

Might as well take a chance and bring them. They won't be any more of a liability getting close but not all the way to the QB than they are staying close but not close enough to the receivers they're responsible for.

We blitzed some today with Taylor. Unfortunately it did absolutely nothing all 3 times he came.

Really? I was at the game and didn't notice that. I wasn't paying attention to exactly who came after the QB but counted how many. I didn't see more than 4 very much. I'm sure you're correct, but I did not notice this.

When does Iowa ever get superior skill position talent?
Answer: Almost never.

The reasons for their offensive failures are more complex than that, but that is at the core.

Imagine having a qb like the kid at louisville.
I'd take a swap in receivers right now for any of the teams in the top half of any of the power 5 conferences.

But, then you'd have to have an offensive philosophy and coach that was willing to do the kind of things that would attract that talent.

Really? I was at the game and didn't notice that. I wasn't paying attention to exactly who came after the QB but counted how many. I didn't see more than 4 very much. I'm sure you're correct, but I did not notice this.

I was there too getting sun burnt to heck apparently... You wouldn't have noticed the blitzes unless you were looking for it. All 3 were unsuccessful and one was on a play action roll-out that went for a huge gain. Taylor bit on the play action hard and Nelson was chasing on the outside. The route went exactly where Taylor was.

Back to the topic... I would love to see us blitz the linebackers more, especially Bo Bower. Bower's coverage skills do not seem to be up to par and tends to struggle making those big tackles in space, in my opinion.

That's the thing... I WAS looking for it. Did he get to the OL as that was my gauge. I was shocked Iowa didn't try to bring 6 on some of those 3rd and Longs. Pathetic !

Recruit more explosive offensive players. Not one player on Iowa's offense except the speedy back has ability to break big plays. Iowa plays hard but just can't settle when it comes to recruiting or settle for guys without alot of offers from Power 5 schools. FYBP did it for years and all you have to do is watch the o-line depth and the 3 walkons that are playing for N right now. Have to recruit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT