ADVERTISEMENT

What if? The answer? KF / Iowa would be a 3 time National Champion

Tough to say what would have happened vs OSU in 2002...

Losing Stanzi hurt, but we still don’t know that we would have beaten OSU that year.

2009...would have likely gotten the 4 seed and gone on to play Bama. Hard to say the outcome would be much different than MSU vs Bama game blowout.

What if Des King and Josh Jackson stay through Senior seasons...

It would of been fun to play tOSU in ‘02 as I don’t know who would win but had to give the edge to tOSU.

‘09 still pisses me off with the injury to Stanzi, clearly a face mask then subsequent fumble recovery in the end zone that shouldn’t of happened, Raf Eubanks called for a hold on a beautiful pancake that negated the long td run by Brandon Wegher, and finally KoK’s game plan once Stanzi went down by having JVB throw the ball 40 plus times. Hell, KoK never let Rick throw the ball that many times in a game.

I do think Iowa would of won at tOSU with Stanzi, should of won with JVB at the helm. I was there, the tOSU crowd was scared senseless when Iowa got the ball back at their own 24 yard line with over two minutes to go as KF sat on it to play for OT. They asked, “What is Ferentz doing?” I said, “Playing Tressellball!” They understood what I meant. Iowa has a good first play to get the ball out of tight territory then choose to let the clock run instead of call time out, gather the upper class men to ask if they should go for it and a rose bowl invite or play for OT. With the luck of the catch by Tony Moeki through two tOSU defenders, they should of gone for the win. Trey Stross two drops, one in the end zone really hurt their chances, add in the missed short field goal too. Oh what could of been in Columbus.

In ‘15 Iowa should of been in the play offs if not for a heady pi call by MSU defender on MVB to prevent Iowa from going up by two scores. It might of been game over if that happened. Based on the ensuing results of MSU vs Bama and Iowa blow out to Stanford, Iowa would’ve more than not had the same results as MSU in the play off game. It would of been fun to go to it though.

Iowa will get there one year and this could be this year with the talent Iowa has on both sides of the ball in the trenches. I really see Iowa winning the west this year and pulling the upset of Michigan in the B1G title game to get a spot in the play offs after going 11-1 in the regular season with the lone loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor. Call me crazy but with two first round tackles and AJE leading the lines, Iowa will be a tough out all season. Add in the offense finally stepping up to bail out the D like in ‘02, this could be another magical year. Go Hawks.

Re: subject: always amazes me how, if this play had gone our way, then everything after it would have as well?

Tough to say what would have happened vs OSU in 2002...

Losing Stanzi hurt, but we still don’t know that we would have beaten OSU that year.

2009...would have likely gotten the 4 seed and gone on to play Bama. Hard to say the outcome would be much different than MSU vs Bama game blowout.

What if Des King and Josh Jackson stay through Senior seasons...
Huh? King did stay

I do think Iowa would of won at tOSU with Stanzi, should of won with JVB at the helm. I was there, the tOSU crowd was scared senseless when Iowa got the ball back at their own 24 yard line with over two minutes to go as KF sat on it to play for OT. They asked, “What is Ferentz doing?” I said, “Playing

Iowa got the ball back on their own 33 with 52 seconds left.

I think if we beat Michigan State, we go on to play Alabama and although more competitive than the Standford game, we lose 28 to 7 or something like that.

We would have saw a lot more emotion than what we saw in the Rose Bowl. We were just flat. Like a month long hangover.

We would have saw a lot more emotion than what we saw in the Rose Bowl. We were just flat. Like a month long hangover.

I agree with this but we still would have lost. I don't know if it would have been a blow out cause I think our defense could have held out for awhile but we prolly lose 31-10 or something along those lines.

Re: subject: always amazes me how, if this play had gone our way, then everything after it would have as well?
Yes it would have, mark from j.........

Yes, it would have.

giphy.gif

What if LJ falls shorts?
Then bama destroys us instead of stanford.....
Maybe so, but Hawks could of hoisted the BIG conference championship trophy. Would have loved that. You think they ran out of beer before the game, WHAT IF Iowa had won???? Or Lord, hide the women and children...:eek:

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
The OP offers a legitimate hypothesis. Iowa has been within inches, within one play, of making the move from very good to great in each of the seasons noted. And that doesn't even count 2010 when Iowa had the talent to win the Big Ten and figure in the national title conversation again only to lose every key game.

The thing about this "what if" scenario is that it is entirely reasonable. Not one miracle would have been needed. Just a few simple breaks going Iowa's way, and those seasons would have been ones for the ages.

And one thing that has not been mentioned is the blown targeting call in the end zone in that Big Ten title game of 2015. Instead of a miracle INT for MSU, that should have been an Iowa TD. It was textbook targeting, and I'll never understand how that doesn't get called. Make that call, and Iowa wins.

BTW: A few posters correctly noted that Iowa's performance in the Rose Bowl said nothing about what the Hawkeyes would have done vs. Alabama in the playoffs. Iowa never recovered emotionally from that Big Ten title game loss to MSU. But had Iowa taken the momentum of a win in that title game to the playoffs, well, anyone who says Iowa would have been toast has no credibility. Riding that 13-0 record and a Big Ten championship, I'm confident the Hawkeyes would have given 'Bama all it could handle. But I can't prove anymore than those who claim Iowa would have been blown out. But the facts do show that Iowa doesn't suffer many blowouts.

Anyway, this discussion just shows that nothing thicker than a blade of grass has separated Iowa from greatness on multiple occasions over the last decade. It's time to take that one last step...

The OP offers a legitimate hypothesis. Iowa has been within inches, within one play, of making the move from very good to great in each of the seasons noted. And that doesn't even count 2010 when Iowa had the talent to win the Big Ten and figure in the national title conversation again only to lose every key game.

The thing about this "what if" scenario is that it is entirely reasonable. Not one miracle would have been needed. Just a few simple breaks going Iowa's way, and those seasons would have been ones for the ages.

And one thing that has not been mentioned is the blown targeting call in the end zone in that Big Ten title game of 2015. Instead of a miracle INT for MSU, that should have been an Iowa TD. It was textbook targeting, and I'll never understand how that doesn't get called. Make that call, and Iowa wins.

BTW: A few posters correctly noted that Iowa's performance in the Rose Bowl said nothing about what the Hawkeyes would have done vs. Alabama in the playoffs. Iowa never recovered emotionally from that Big Ten title game loss to MSU. But had Iowa taken the momentum of a win in that title game to the playoffs, well, anyone who says Iowa would have been toast has no credibility. Riding that 13-0 record and a Big Ten championship, I'm confident the Hawkeyes would have given 'Bama all it could handle. But I can't prove anymore than those who claim Iowa would have been blown out. But the facts do show that Iowa doesn't suffer many blowouts.

Anyway, this discussion just shows that nothing thicker than a blade of grass has separated Iowa from greatness on multiple occasions over the last decade. It's time to take that one last step...
Well said....I'd agree that a excited 13-0 Iowa team, would not have been the same team that laid down for Stanford. I also don't think even mighty Bama had a player that would have wreaked havoc like McCaffery did....

Iowa has been within inches, within one play, of making the move from very good to great in each of the seasons noted.

Again I remind: The LJ Scott play was third down.

(Now, earlier in the drive, we did get MSU to 4th down, but I am pretty sure most here are thinking the "within one play" play was the LJ Scott TD.)

We are an Oliver Martin waiver away from being a top 15 team in my opinion. In 2020 we may be young at OT and DE but we will have an incredible back 7 and really good talent at wideout and runningback.

By the time 2021 rolls around the monster classes of 2018, 2019 and 2020 will come to fruition and I think it’s possible that we compete for the playoff and NT. If you look at the talent, it’s really starting to become more and more probable that we actually make a run at it.

We are an Oliver Martin waiver away from being a top 15 team in my opinion. In 2020 we may be young at OT and DE but we will have an incredible back 7 and really good talent at wideout and runningback.

By the time 2021 rolls around the monster classes of 2018, 2019 and 2020 will come to fruition and I think it’s possible that we compete for the playoff and NT. If you look at the talent, it’s really starting to become more and more probable that we actually make a run at it.
I'm with you on the talent upgrade, however our rivals in the BIG West and ISU are improving vastly too which will hurt the chances some, but I welcome it. Just pointing that out.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
It would of been fun to play tOSU in ‘02 as I don’t know who would win but had to give the edge to tOSU.

‘09 still pisses me off with the injury to Stanzi, clearly a face mask then subsequent fumble recovery in the end zone that shouldn’t of happened, Raf Eubanks called for a hold on a beautiful pancake that negated the long td run by Brandon Wegher, and finally KoK’s game plan once Stanzi went down by having JVB throw the ball 40 plus times. Hell, KoK never let Rick throw the ball that many times in a game.

I do think Iowa would of won at tOSU with Stanzi, should of won with JVB at the helm. I was there, the tOSU crowd was scared senseless when Iowa got the ball back at their own 24 yard line with over two minutes to go as KF sat on it to play for OT. They asked, “What is Ferentz doing?” I said, “Playing Tressellball!” They understood what I meant. Iowa has a good first play to get the ball out of tight territory then choose to let the clock run instead of call time out, gather the upper class men to ask if they should go for it and a rose bowl invite or play for OT. With the luck of the catch by Tony Moeki through two tOSU defenders, they should of gone for the win. Trey Stross two drops, one in the end zone really hurt their chances, add in the missed short field goal too. Oh what could of been in Columbus.

In ‘15 Iowa should of been in the play offs if not for a heady pi call by MSU defender on MVB to prevent Iowa from going up by two scores. It might of been game over if that happened. Based on the ensuing results of MSU vs Bama and Iowa blow out to Stanford, Iowa would’ve more than not had the same results as MSU in the play off game. It would of been fun to go to it though.

Iowa will get there one year and this could be this year with the talent Iowa has on both sides of the ball in the trenches. I really see Iowa winning the west this year and pulling the upset of Michigan in the B1G title game to get a spot in the play offs after going 11-1 in the regular season with the lone loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor. Call me crazy but with two first round tackles and AJE leading the lines, Iowa will be a tough out all season. Add in the offense finally stepping up to bail out the D like in ‘02, this could be another magical year. Go Hawks.
Your memory is impressive :)

Maybe so, but Hawks could of hoisted the BIG conference championship trophy. Would have loved that. You think they ran out of beer before the game, WHAT IF Iowa had won???? Or Lord, hide the women and children...:eek:
I agree 110% with you, seeing them hoist that trophy would have been awesome! I was talking about the title mentioning a national championship. We had zero chance of beating bama, just like everyone else.

Well said....I'd agree that a excited 13-0 Iowa team, would not have been the same team that laid down for Stanford. I also don't think even mighty Bama had a player that would have wreaked havoc like McCaffery did....
This I disagree with 110%, kind of a load of crap imo.
They had 4 weeks to get over the sting of the loss. They also had a ton of IOWA kids leading Iowa to the first rose bowl of their lives! To say they didn't care is just flat out disrespectful.
NOW, as to why they were sliding all over like they were playing on ice.....I will NEVER understand what the hell that was all about. Lets not act like the players didn't care about the game.

I agree with this but we still would have lost. I don't know if it would have been a blow out cause I think our defense could have held out for awhile but we prolly lose 31-10 or something along those lines.
I think it is pretty safe to assume the score would have been very similar to the msu/bama score. MSU was probably the 3rd best b1g team that year and we got lucky to play them. Just couldn't capitalize :(.

I think it is pretty safe to assume the score would have been very similar to the msu/bama score. MSU was probably the 3rd best b1g team that year and we got lucky to play them. Just couldn't capitalize :(.
I'll never forget the CJB bomb to Tevaun though and how loud we were, and the IOWA chant by the entire crowd in between that and kickoff. Man, such an amazing experience being there.

Reactions: mrF6n6
Again I remind: The LJ Scott play was third down.

(Now, earlier in the drive, we did get MSU to 4th down, but I am pretty sure most here are thinking the "within one play" play was the LJ Scott TD.)
No you can go with that one too.

There were two separate plays that the refs let blatant holding go that allowed MSU to prolong the drive or score.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
This I disagree with 110%, kind of a load of crap imo.
They had 4 weeks to get over the sting of the loss. They also had a ton of IOWA kids leading Iowa to the first rose bowl of their lives! To say they didn't care is just flat out disrespectful.
NOW, as to why they were sliding all over like they were playing on ice.....I will NEVER understand what the hell that was all about. Lets not act like the players didn't care about the game.
I certainly never said they didn't care, but I do think that game took a lot of of them emotionally and physically, as it did MSU. That game was a war. I also think we matched up better with Bama, then with Stanford who was basically playing a home game, which it seems like Iowa seems to draw in many of their bowl assignments. I'm also not suggesting we would have beaten Bama, just think it would have been a better match up and coming off the conference championship we would have been in a better place emotionally. That first play when McCaffery took it to the house was like an anvil falling on Iowa's balloon. Just some personal thoughts though, not saying I'm right.....

I certainly never said they didn't care, but I do think that game took a lot of of them emotionally and physically, as it did MSU. That game was a war. I also think we matched up better with Bama, then with Stanford who was basically playing a home game, which it seems like Iowa seems to draw in many of their bowl assignments. I'm also not suggesting we would have beaten Bama, just think it would have been a better match up and coming off the conference championship we would have been in a better place emotionally. That first play when McCaffery took it to the house was like an anvil falling on Iowa's balloon. Just some personal thoughts though, not saying I'm right.....
CJB being a gimp was huge that season as to why it was basically survival mode most of the games with him being a shell of himself.

I like to think last year should have been better, like Big10 championship game better.

We will see after the draft this year, but one can assume that 2018 team had 4 future first round draft picks...

What if LJ falls shorts?
Then bama destroys us instead of stanford.....
Part of what led to Stanford destroying Iowa was that we were awfully dinged in the secondary ... AND, perhaps more importantly, we were pretty emotionally drained from the loss to Michigan State. Furthermore, I know this sounds stupid ... but college guys can definitely be stupid .... but most of the national pundits had Iowa favored in the game against Stanford. I honestly believe that the Hawks assumed that they were the better team ... and if you don't enter the game with the right mindset ... you're setting yourself up for failure.

Anyhow, I'd say that had the Hawks been a little healthier at a number of keys spots .... including featuring a fully mobile CJ Beathard ... then the Hawks could have the 'Bama game A LOT more interesting than Michigan State did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT