ADVERTISEMENT

What is your Bowl game selection surprise?

O-townHawkstar

HR All-State
Sep 28, 2019
Has to be ISU vs. Notre Dame for me. The movie RUDY is a favorite of mine. Like Rudy's character ISU will be a big time underdog. Can't believe I am saying this! Go Clones. The underdog factor and keeping it in IOWA will always have my vote.

Last edited:
Has to be ISU vs. Notre Dame for me. The movie RUDY is a favorite of mine. Like Rudy's character ISU will be a big time underdog. Can't believe I am saying this! Go Clones. The underdog factor and keeping it in IOWA will always have my vote.

I agree, while I don't follow the fate of the Irish very closely, it comes as a surprise to me that a 10-2 ND team is in the Camping World bowl and not something like the Cotton, or a NY6 bowl, etc.

Reactions: O-townHawkstar
For the Final Rankings the old our team beat the team you lost to debate (which is very powerful) would be interesting after we handle our business first. Can we please try to stay off the Cyclones can burn in hell merry-go-round. We already know how you feel!

Last edited:
The way the whole Big 12 lineup shook out surprised me.

Alamo Bowl seemed to start screwing things up by taking Texas. OSU and KSU were both more deserving. My guess is that they wanted to draw >65k for the first time since the last time the Longhorns were there, and were in need of a big name for viewership, not having as good of a TV spot as last year.

Seems like it would have been better if Texas had fallen a spot or two to match up with N.D. or aTm.

KSU and OSU were both more deserving of a matchup with N.D. than ISU, too. Any of those fan bases would have flocked to Orlando for that game, so hard to believe fan following was that big of a factor.

At least OSU got a quality-name opponent in aTm. KSU got ABSOLUTELY SCREWED. Liberty Bowl vs. Navy? Their A.D. must be p*ssed beyond belief.

I think the whole thing started with Okla sneaking into the CFP and having the Big 12 waste 2 spots in the NY6. I think the Big 12 lineup would have been much better if it started with Baylor in the Alamo.

The way the whole Big 12 lineup shook out surprised me.

Alamo Bowl seemed to start screwing things up by taking Texas. OSU and KSU were both more deserving. My guess is that they wanted to draw >65k for the first time since the last time the Longhorns were there, and were in need of a big name for viewership, not having as good of a TV spot as last year.

Seems like it would have been better if Texas had fallen a spot or two to match up with N.D. or aTm.

KSU and OSU were both more deserving of a matchup with N.D. than ISU, too. Any of those fan bases would have flocked to Orlando for that game, so hard to believe fan following was that big of a factor.

At least OSU got a quality-name opponent in aTm. KSU got ABSOLUTELY SCREWED. Liberty Bowl vs. Navy? Their A.D. must be p*ssed beyond belief.

I think the whole thing started with Okla sneaking into the CFP and having the Big 12 waste 2 spots in the NY6. I think the Big 12 lineup would have been much better if it started with Baylor in the Alamo.
Alamo should have taken either Okie State it Kansas State...probably the ‘Pokes because the bowl tries to match rated teams and OSU was the only one of the four that is rated.
Orlando would then have taken Texas, Houston would have taken KSU and I’d be deciding whether to go to Memphis.
If OU hadn’t gotten into the championsio, ISU probably would have gone to Phoenix, which I would have liked.

You are obviously not an Iowa fan.

ISU winning is NEVER good for the Hawks. In no way, shape or form. Saying it “is good for the state” is not a valid argument.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Norte Dame will not be excited about this matchup. ISU has an opportunity to keep it close and might pull off the upset.

Yeah, after looking at the entire line-up, there are a couple of teams you could make an argument that they got gypped a little bit, but KState got ROYALLY dicked over.
This is true. And it isn't because they don't travel well; they travel VERY well.

The Alamo Bowl wanted Texas, which was the first screw job. The CW Bowl wanted ISU, which is the second. The word I'm hearing is that the Big XII wanted CW to take the Wildcats but the bowl people wanted ISU. That makes sense to me, at least the first part.

Having said that, ISU has been screwed in bowl selections more than once in the past. Probably will happen again in the future. These things even out over time.

Biggest surprise was the Seminoles. Florida State doesn't get to the Sun Bowl without name recognition. Pretty much every prognostication had them in the Birmingham Bowl.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
I see it being a pretty close game. ISU will be jacked up to play a big name opponent and ND with probably have the opposite affect. They win 10 games and get to go to Orlando to play a 5 loss team????

For that reason I think it ends up being close and wouldn't be surprised to see ISU pull one out on them.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I'd actually like for it to be us playing Notre Dame. I think that would be a good match up ... ISU should give the Irish a good game. Will ND players be fired up? Will they be disappointed playing ISU? I'd assume they may look a little sluggish, and I expect ISU will be pretty focused. Yes, ISU is 7-5 but it could have easily been 8-4 or even 9-3 ... I'll still root for ND but I think it will be an interesting match up.

I'd actually like for it to be us playing Notre Dame. I think that would be a good match up ... ISU should give the Irish a good game. Will ND players be fired up? Will they be disappointed playing ISU? I'd assume they may look a little sluggish, and I expect ISU will be pretty focused. Yes, ISU is 7-5 but it could have easily been 8-4 or even 9-3 ... I'll still root for ND but I think it will be an interesting match up.

We finally found a situation, for the first (and maybe last) time in the history of college football, where I will root for the Domers.

Notre Damn and ISU is definitely a head scratcher.
If I was a two loss Florida team I'd also be pissed playing a 4 loss Virginia.
Utah probs isn't happy either.
A few have mentioned KSU being upset, meh, I don't see a problem. Can't complain too much with 4 losses.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
So do you realize that Iowa has jumped over more deserving teams in the bowl lineups in the past? Same thing here. I think Iowa State will beat them.

I see it being a pretty close game. ISU will be jacked up to play a big name opponent and ND with probably have the opposite affect. They win 10 games and get to go to Orlando to play a 5 loss team????

For that reason I think it ends up being close and wouldn't be surprised to see ISU pull one out on them.
It also depends upon whether ISU has 7 false starts and whether the kid who pretended to be Purdy against Kansas State has been exiled.

I freaking HATE Notre Damn. There's actually a chance I hate ND more than I hate ISU.

Seeing Brian Kelly lose ranks up there with two chicks at the same time.

I don't see us losing recruits to ISU if they beat ND. They would still be our little brother, make that little step brother.

Therefore, deep breath, go ISU.

This is true. And it isn't because they don't travel well; they travel VERY well.

The Alamo Bowl wanted Texas, which was the first screw job. The CW Bowl wanted ISU, which is the second. The word I'm hearing is that the Big XII wanted CW to take the Wildcats but the bowl people wanted ISU. That makes sense to me, at least the first part.

Having said that, ISU has been screwed in bowl selections more than once in the past. Probably will happen again in the future. These things even out over time.

Absolutely--it happens to all the "mid level" teams, ie: not the Bamas, O$Us of the world. I can understand the CW wanting ISU given the likelihood of travel to FL, but you're totally correct in KState traveling well. It's an ocean of purple wherever they go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT