ADVERTISEMENT

What is your national heritage? Where did your ancestors come from?

Father: Irish
Mother: German

Surprisingly I get very tan in the summer so someone must of nailed a brown somewhere in there.

brother?? I have a picture (that I'm not sharing) of my maternal grandparents and cousins taken shortly after my spring break trip sophomore year of college. It's pasty white blondes with blue eyes and then dark hair, dark skin me in the middle. It's totally one of these things are not like the others.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I’m not sure. Maybe I should do one of those DNA things.

I think those tests still find it difficult to pinpoint such things unless they’re using ancient populations. My cousin uploaded my data to a site and I got this result:

North and West Europe
100.0%
Scandinavian
85.7%
North and West European
14.3%

Which really means that I’m broadly NW European.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Except for... you know... the whole liking dick thing.

This high ranking fella was gay

2502279_f260.jpg

My paternal grandfather was the son of a Norwegian immigrant father who came to the Decorah area and a Pennsylania "Dutch" woman whose family had been in the country since before the Revolution and came to Iowa from Pennsylvania.

My paternal grandmother's father was born in Iowa to Slovak parents who came to the Albia area in the 1890s. Her mother was born to Dutch immigrants in Pella.

My maternal grandfather's dad was old stock Yankee (English heritage) whose family came from New England and New York and moved across the Midwest to Waverly. His mom was born in Decatur County to parents who were from along the Ohio River, probably originally English or Scots-Irish.

My maternal grandmother's dad was born in Ottumwa to an English immigrant father and a mother who was the daughter of an Irish immigrant father and a Scots Irish mother with heritage in Missouri and Tennessee. Grandma's mom was born in Ottumwa to an English immigrant mother and a father whose dad was Pennsylvania Dutch and whose mom was probably English and descended from one of the first European American settlers in Ohio.

All of my great great grandparents on down are buried in Iowa, and all of my great grandparents besides the Norwegian who came to Decorah were born in Iowa.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Dad’s side, Irish & French Canadian.
Mom’s side, German & Dutch.

I look like my dad - you’d never guess him to be half Irish. Dark hair, dark complexion. When my parents first met, she thought he was Puerto Rican. I’ve been mistaken for Hispanic a few times, especially in the summer when I am on the boat a lot.

Dad: We can track the main paternal name line from when they landed in Middle Plantation Virginia to being nobles in southern Scotland along the border when they were given lands there when an ancestor worked as an arbiter for the Norman English King. Before that they were nobles in northern England as part of the Norman invasion and before that they were from the Normandy part of France and before that they were from Denmark. After that we lose track of them but my ancestors were Vikings that conquered and stayed rather than raided and left (my sister has blue eyes and blonde hair when she doesn't dye it). The other parts from my Dad's side is mainly Scottish and Scots-Irish with a hint of Native American from the Powhatan/Algonquin tribes.

Mom: We originally thought the maternal name was German, but digging revealed that the main maternal line was Malta knights who resettled in England after being small nobles in Malta for awhile. Before Malta my ancestors were in Rhodes, Acre and Jerusalem as part of the Knights hospitaler. Before that it's tough to tell, they have Germanish sounding names but my understanding is that the Knights hospitaler would frequently take on new names so there's no guarantee. My maternal line ancestor left England far later than the paternal side (1840s Vs 1680s) and settled into a German heavy area of North Carolina so that's one reason we assumed originally they were just German. My ancestors in NC mainly married into the German community there but my great grandmother on that side is pure Eastern Band Cherokee from NC. So on the maternal side I'm mainly German with a hefty percentage of Cherokee and the Knights Hospitaler side obviously bred in with the English while there and a bride or two from the Middle East more likely than Europe despite the Christian names.

@BrunoMars420 said he did a DNA test, has anyone else done the same? If so were the results worth the cost? Has anyone discovered something they were unaware of before the test? Any brand recommendations?

@BrunoMars420 said he did a DNA test, has anyone else done the same? If so were the results worth the cost? Has anyone discovered something they were unaware of before the test? Any brand recommendations?

I think it is interesting doing a DNA test. My Filipino side is kind of bare just because not many other Filipinos are doing it but it has a nice breakdown and timeline of my white ancestors and how they got to America. I was able to see who my ancestors were all the way back to the 1400s.

Definitely worth the money imo but you also put yourself in some database for your DNA

Mabuhay.
I am a pinoy brother. Although I do not speak tagalog, ilocano or any other Filipino dialect. Although my dad could speak the 2 I mentioned and Spanish.

Was your dad or mom Filipino?

My dad was in the navy and my mom was working as the bartender he frequented. My mom is from Castellejos in the province of Zambales which is not to far from Subic Bay. I have been there twice but would love to go back.

My DNA shows an Irish lineage of sorts but no real paper trail leading back to Ireland. There’s always been stories passed down via my Norwegian side about ancient Irish/British isles ancestors, so that could be it. My mom’s side was a seafaring family, so maybe that makes sense. I don’t know, pure speculation at this point.

My dad was in the navy and my mom was working as the bartender he frequented. My mom is from Castellejos in the province of Zambales which is not to far from Subic Bay. I have been there twice but would love to go back.
My dad joined the Navy from the Philippines and became a citizen. He was from Baguio. Unfortunately I have never been, but hope to eventually one day.

It's funny I know so many mestizos that were Navy brats, especially here in Jacksonville where there were 3 Navy bases when I grew up and 2 are still here.

I think it is interesting doing a DNA test. My Filipino side is kind of bare just because not many other Filipinos are doing it but it has a nice breakdown and timeline of my white ancestors and how they got to America. I was able to see who my ancestors were all the way back to the 1400s.

Definitely worth the money imo but you also put yourself in some database for your DNA
Which test did you use?

My DNA shows an Irish lineage of sorts but no real paper trail leading back to Ireland. There’s always been stories passed down via my Norwegian side about ancient Irish/British isles ancestors, so that could be it. My mom’s side was a seafaring family, so maybe that makes sense. I don’t know, pure speculation at this point.
The vikings spread a broad path.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Myself:

75% Scottish (Father born in Glasgow)
25% Irish

Mrs Andronicus:

German born, but 50% French and
50% Luxembourg

Those borders changed hands so much. If the French side is from the eastern French region of Alsace Loraine and your other side is Luxembourg I would call that side 100% German as that side is most likely descended from Germanic tribes.

Mom: Dutch, British, NW Europe (likely Holland-Germany border area)
Dad: Danish, NW Europe (likely Germany-Denmark border area) London Irish-Scottish

That last part was a surprise. I was always told I was Scottish (grandmother’s name couldn’t have been more Scottish). But it turns out there was far more ancestral DNA in London and County Donegal in Ireland than Glasgow and Edinburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT