ADVERTISEMENT

What will your level be?

LarryMullenJr.

HR Legend
Dec 7, 2011
Assuming Fran will be back, and everyone who went through Senior Day does indeed leave, and we don't have any portal changes, what will your interest level be next season?
10=I never miss a game, and go to as many as I can
1=Rat's Ass

10. I start every season hoping for a Big 10 Championship or a good run in the tourney. I know that might not be achievable every year, but I can't stand knowing that it will never be achievable with Fran as our coach.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Assuming Fran will be back, and everyone who went through Senior Day does indeed leave, and we don't have any portal changes, what will your interest level be next season?
1=Rat's Ass
If Fran is still here, a 1.

Now that the Murrays and Garza are gone, there just isn’t really a player on Iowa’s roster I’m that interested in watching. Owen Freeman to an extent, but that’s about it.

I already know what the team will be like. Score 105 points against East Alabama State at Birmingham School of the Blind and average giving up 80+ points a game in the conference.

Pass.

Now that the Murrays and Garza are gone, there just isn’t really a player on Iowa’s roster I’m that interested in watching. Owen Freeman to an extent, but that’s about it.

I already know what the team will be like. Score 105 points against East Alabama State at Birmingham School of the Blind and average giving up 80+ points a game in the conference.

Pass.
I'm curious why you even bother anymore, with football or basketball.

For me? I would rather Iowa do well than others, but I don't give it much time of day.

Reactions: cmhawks99
1=Rat's Ass
I'm always a 10 and I think the core of Dix, Sandfort and Freeman is going to be one that will lead to a lot of wins next year.

They'll have to do something at guard via the portal if TP is gone so that'll be an interesting thing to watch the next few weeks. No matter how high they are on Brock, teams can't go into the season with only 3 guards on the roster. I honestly think they should be looking at guard depth regardless if TP and Bowen both return.

Just like this year, probably a 1 or 2 heading into the season. It could climb if the Hawks have a strong non-con.

It'll be year 15 for Fran. I think we already know what his ceiling is. At least for me, that's not very conducive to being overly pumped heading into a new season. I expect more of the same: Top 5-7 conference finish, probable NCAA bid, and an early exit. I have no realistic hope for anything beyond that.

Pass.

I’m interested to see how Harding develops

For me a 5 or 6. Reason being I am very apathetic with Fran since the Richmond loss. I of course root for win but I honestly don't really care if we win or lose a game anymore. For me it'll be like this year, I will watch the first couple games to see Freshman play then I will watch any good OOC game like Creighton and ISU. After that if its not a big time conference game I either won't watch at all or if I do I will barely make it through the first half and I'll willingly watch something else..

My biggest issue with Fran is not only is there no tourney success with eras like Marble, White, Gessell, Woody or the Garza, Cook, JoeW, and the Murrays era he also hasn't really rolled it into being able to get good talent or god forbid a legitimate D1 PG which culminated into this down season and maybe even next.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I will get suckered into thinking a Fran team will be better in (instert year here). Until then I pray he retires or moves on.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
Dude,.. Think back to when Garza, and even more so, the Murray's arrived,.. Absolutely nobody realized what they were,.. That is happening again.
Whom do you see on this current roster who has that potential? I think Owen Freeman will be really good, but to the level of Garza or Keegan? I don’t know.

I will watch and hope Hawks win but have pretty much accepted Iowa will continue to be s*** until McCaffery is gone. His teams will continue to be lousy defensively, bad game management, bad player rotations, zero adaptability to game situations, etc. So, to say not excited would be an understatement.

I will watch and hope Hawks win but have pretty much accepted Iowa will continue to be s*** until McCaffery is gone. His teams will continue to be lousy defensively, bad game management, bad player rotations, zero adaptability to game situations, etc. So, to say not excited would be an understatement.

I’d say it’s a minor miracle we’ve won so many games and are so well thought of by most talking heads….

I’d say a 5 or 6 to see how much talent the young guys have. My fear is Fran returns and convinces PMac to return saying the team needs a “leader”. If that happens then it will be hard to watch. I can’t take another season of allowing no effort on both ends of the court, ie no rebounding or defensive effort with a stat line of 3 to 5 points in 20 to 30 minutes, multiple turnovers, a foul or possibly two.

If Darren Devries is coaching this team, it’s a nine. It’s time for a fresh start for both coach and program.

I'll be pumped like usual. Probably 8-9, always look forward to it. 🤷‍♂️ I will be more pumped for the women although

I hope the 1's leave the forum!!!

Absolutely!!!! Maybe on up to 3, after that you’re dealing with frustrations and expressions. I can understand that…the others, I’m honestly clueless why they follow sports at all. There really isn’t a team or coach out there that will make them happy.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
1=Rat's Ass
I am all Iowa but this year I have been a 3 on that scale. The lackluster defense is annoying. I could coach defense easy for Fran, put up 1 finger it is Man, 2 fingers Zone, period

Absolutely!!!! Maybe on up to 3, after that you’re dealing with frustrations and expressions. I can understand that…the others, I’m honestly clueless why they follow sports at all. There really isn’t a team or coach out there that will make them happy.
Nah that's BS.

I'm a lifelong Iowa fan. Just because I'm not excited about the current product doesn't mean I'm handing over my fan card.

I just want better than NIT or 1st round NCAA losses. I still care enough about the program to bother saying so. Not gonna apologize for that.

Last edited:
10 bc I love Iowa basketball. I am ready for a change at the top but no one is asking me.

5, Freeman and Harding will have a year under their belt............but fran will still be coaching them. Also, he'll likely start Bowen over Harding because he practices better.

5, Freeman and Harding will have a year under their belt............but fran will still be coaching them. Also, he'll likely start Bowen over Harding because he practices better.

Well whoever we get won’t be the right answer, we know that, don’t we….😂

Basketball is pretty easy being a winter sport to make time for. I try to watch most games, but I missed a LOT this year for no reason other than I just didn't care. I either lost track and didn't realize there was one, or just didn't make time for it. The Fran fatigue as others call it around here has become a real thing for me. Not contending for any conference titles nor winning tournament games continues to lower my interest. It's like the combination of mediocrity for both football and basketball is overwhelming and gradually diminishing my interest in either.

1=Rat's Ass
I wish it would be a 10, but it'll be more like a 2.

After 14 seasons, we know exactly what we're getting with a Fran McCaffery-led team.

- Good-ish, but not great.
- Good offense, but horrible defense.
- Take a lot of shots, but rebound very few of them.
- Destroy the OOC cupcakes, but (at least occasionally) look like a dumpster fire against Power5 competition.
- Light up the scoreboard against teams who don't put a premium on defense, but will have the clamps put on them vs teams to do actively perform defensively.
- Middle of the pack B1G finish, but a first or 2nd game NCAA loss - if even get an invite.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Basketball is pretty easy being a winter sport to make time for. I try to watch most games, but I missed a LOT this year for no reason other than I just didn't care. I either lost track and didn't realize there was one, or just didn't make time for it. The Fran fatigue as others call it around here has become a real thing for me. Not contending for any conference titles nor winning tournament games continues to lower my interest. It's like the combination of mediocrity for both football and basketball is overwhelming and gradually diminishing my interest in either.

I missed quite a few games too, but no honesty I don’t have Fran fatigue I’ve got fan fatigue….

Sports used to be fun, win or lose, you’d more or less, enjoy the game, now the vitriol and the hostility from the fans I just don’t care about sports like I used to

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT