ADVERTISEMENT

When do players announce

Meanwhile its Ok for you to make ridiculous general statements about people you know absolutely nothing about, because they don't share your opinion? Ok, I guess, ha? As for my thoughts, I've always thought the great thing about participating in sports for me a my three sons was the camaradere, and teamwork, working to a common goal. The lessons learned and lifetime friendships attained. Unfortunately, much of this has go by the wayside, in favor of the almighty $. Sorry, but I think its a sad day. I'm glad that these young men will be there for their team mates. I think it says something about the type of people they are. These guys will be well payed for their skills, and deservedly so. Its funny, but most athletes today seem to be remembered as much for how much money they made, or how big a contract they signed, then for what they actually did, or who they were as people. Too bad, in the end, you can't take it with you.....
I’m glad you and your sons were able to learn about teamwork, camaraderie, and goals. That’s probably what most of these guys learned when they were 5-18 as well. Fortunately for them, they’ve worked hard enough that they’re now able to turn this high level skill into a career. One that can easily set them and their loved ones up for life.

Unless you or your sons have been in that same position, I fail to see how you can criticize any player that makes the hard decision to not put your future at risk for a bowl game.

If you’d like to share a comparable example of a time you put your coworkers ahead of a multi-million dollar payday, I’m all ears. If your example is the 82’ Senior Day game where you taped two fingers together so you could play another series with Dusty and Big Mike, sorry, but you lost me.

Reactions: Smokinthereiff
I’m glad you and your sons were able to learn about teamwork, camaraderie, and goals. That’s probably what most of these guys learned when they were 5-18 as well. Fortunately for them, they’ve worked hard enough that they’re now able to turn this high level skill into a career. One that can easily set them and their loved ones up for life.

Unless you or your sons have been in that same position, I fail to see how you can criticize any player that makes the hard decision to not put your future at risk for a bowl game.

If you’d like to share a comparable example of a time you put your coworkers ahead of a multi-million dollar payday, I’m all ears. If your example is the 82’ Senior Day game where you taped two fingers together so you could play another series with Dusty and Big Mike, sorry, but you lost me.
As I said, it can't all be only about the money. You obviously disagree. Thats fine, its your perogative.....

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
I have no problem with players skipping the bowl game if they think that's their best shot to maximize their draft spot. The owe me nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12

Certainly valid points .... but it's also true that current Hawk players are still exposed to NFL Hawks ... and a recurrent message they hear is how much the NFL Hawks cherished the memories of their college football experience.

These guys LOVE the game of football ... and if we're being real ... the college game experience is the LAST time the game is still about the game ... and about being part of something that is bigger than yourself. In the NFL ... the culture is much more about the short-term attention and money grab (not to say it is exclusively like that). Not to say that guys still don't love the game when they're in the NFL ... but by then, it's a job. And there's usually something different about that.

Reactions: rchawk
This is the thread where a bunch of boomers talk about “honor and commitment” like these guys owe something more than what they’ve given to the program, which is a ton. Truth is, 99% of those criticizing any player for skipping a bowl game have “quit” on past employers without a second thought (the other 1% haven’t had a job in the first place). The big difference is, they were trying to secure an additional 5 grand a year, not 5 million for an NFL contract.

I’m happy these guys are playing for us and their teammates in the Holiday. They’re risking a ton of cash none of us will ever understand. Anyone on here criticizing others for not doing the same, well, it’s laughable.
Were your former co wokers putting their physical well being on the line for you for 5 straight year?? Did they bust their ass putting you in a position to become a multi millionaire? Do you really feel your former co workers have the same passion for their job as these kids do about their final football game ever?

I could go on, but why bother....

I have no problem with players skipping the bowl game if they think that's their best shot to maximize their draft spot. The owe me nothing.
I don't believe anyone has mentioned that the fans are the ones they owe ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk

Unless you have put your physical well being on the line for people you considered "family" only to have them abandon you for money, I don't think you have any right to participate in this discussion!

;)

Eppy already said he would never even consider sitting out the bowl game. I believe Wirfs basically said the same thing, that he will sit down with his mom and KF after the game to decide if he will declare for draft.
Can these guys take out big insurance policy's to help protect them?

Can these guys take out big insurance policy's to help protect them?

Yes. Given that Wirfs and Epenesa are both projected first rounders, they'd likely be able to secure a policy that could pay out $2m-$15m.

There's a good article on ESPN about insurance for college athletes. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20592832/how-college-football-players-get-insurance
  • According to industry professionals, the general rule is that a top-10 pick will qualify for $10 million of permanent total disability with a $5 million loss-of-value rider. The 10 to 20 picks would be looking at $5 to $7.5 million of PTD and $2 to $3 million in loss of value. Picks in the 20 to 30 pick range would be around $5 million total disability.
Apparently schools can help pay for the premiums for these insurance policies. The article doesn't make it clear whether that means the school actually pays the premium on behalf of the athlete, or if it's treated as the athlete taking out a loan from the school. Regardless, there are ways the athletes can protect against risk of injury.

Reactions: 24 so far
Everything I've read is that the premium is very steep and the school can't pay it.

If the payout is in the millions, the premium is probably $100k or $200k or something. Or higher.

At no point did I ever say they owe ME anything. Never said that, nor do I believe that. I do however think they owe their team mates who have put in just as much work as them to play out the season they all committed to before spring, and summer practice. Glad that AJ and TW are young man who believe that as well....

Everything I've read is that the premium is very steep and the school can't pay it.

If the payout is in the millions, the premium is probably $100k or $200k or something. Or higher.
I'm sure the premium is steep. That said, the risk of a career ending injury in any game let alone a Bowl Game is damn near zero. Think about it.

I don't know when the NFL does there "official" evaluation, but I would presume if you get a first round grade you can take that to any Bank in America and get a loan for a "steep" insurance premium and having Bankers fighting for the opportunity to provide it (not to mention an NFL Agent who has millions laying around and would be happy to add another likely 1st Rounder to the stable, under the table or otherwise). So the timing might be shaky, but deals are done every day with far less guarantee.

Even if you fell in the Draft, as long as you make a roster, it's doable. And if not, you can be a normal schlepp like everybody else because crap happens. At that point you get a haircut and get a real job (Thank You George Thorogood).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT