ADVERTISEMENT

When I like Joey Votto doing Joey Votto things.

That's just awesome. Way to go Joey!

a65.gif

From a Cincinnati Enquirer article today talking about how manager David Bell has helped transform the Reds into playoff contenders. Joey Votto is pure class.

Facing the Atlanta Braves on June 25, Bell made the bold decision to pinch-hit for Joey Votto. As a sign of respect in MLB, potential Hall of Famers rarely get replaced by pinch-hitters based on platoon matchups. But in this game, Bell brought in second baseman Jonathan India to face a left-handed reliever.

Usually, whenever India isn’t in the game, he always stands on the top step of the dugout next to Bell to show support for his teammates. When India replaced Votto in the game, Votto filled India’s spot on the top step of the dugout.

Votto sent a message that he’ll fill whatever role that Bell needs in 2023. The Reds have a clubhouse full of players who have sacrificed at-bats, moved positions and spent games on the bench.

I feel like I may have shared this previously but it took me quite a few years to see what an oddball (in a good way) Votto is. I was at a game at Wrigley maybe 10 years ago and I saw Votto collect a foul ball off the visitors dugout, acted like he was going to throw the ball to a fan, then proceed to chuck the ball completely out of Wrigley, over the upper deck and onto the roof, to eventually land on Addison. I was so confused but I think I realized he isn’t entirely normal and made me a fan. I love catching any at bat to see what weird little things he does. CSB.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT