ADVERTISEMENT

When will the pining for Wiegers start?

Originally posted by bagdropper:

I just want to see this board melt down over the QB again to point out the foolhardy epoch that last year was on this board.

I don't really WANT CJ to have that type of game. I just think it's logical to assume he will - almost always a QB in a full season with that many games played has one or two stinkers. Goes with the territory.

So, if it happens - I badly want to see this board's reaction and see if the same "lovers" of CJ stick to their guns (a role reversal of sorts - basically doing the exact same thing the Jake crowd did) or if they'll turn on him - just to prove my point that it was all terribly silly from the start.

I support whomever is the QB. I just wish the fan base could have displayed as much class as Jake did through last year.
What a bizarre post. You claim you support whoever is the QB but anyone who called for CJB over JR can never do likewise? Now they can only support CJB even if Weigers wins the starting job in August?

According to your post in your world performance and merit mean nothing. Get back to Cuba BHOjr.

The only times in KF era that I can remember a large portion of the fan base demanding the backup were:

McCann-Banks
JC-Stanzi
JVB -anybody
JR - CJB

There will always be chatter about the backup when a starter struggles, but there isn't always a roar like we heard during the ones above.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

yes HF did say what I keep quoting. it will happen just like clock work with these CJ lovers as they will turn on him faster that a swarm of pirahanna on a injured member of their swarm.

and I will be there to enjoy every post.

tell you what I will give CJ just has much support as you gave JR, which absolutely NONE.
I will give him the same amount of credit for a win as you gave JR which is absolutely NONE
I will give him all the credit for a loss vs what you did to JR which was BLAME JR for EVERY LOSS.
Kilroy if you don't support KF's decision in his choice for QB? You don't fully support a fellow Hawkeye and place blame for him on a loss.... You are not a true Iowa fan why don't you go support another team then.

Originally posted by Fan In Black:

The only times in KF era that I can remember a large portion of the fan base demanding the backup were:

McCann-Banks
JC-Stanzi
JVB -anybody
JR - CJB

There will always be chatter about the backup when a starter struggles, but there isn't always a roar like we heard during the ones above.
Tate- JC.

.Can't wait to see CJ. Quarterback position makes a big difference. Team is going to be fun to watch.

Originally posted by CuttyDoesIt:

McCann-Banks
JC-Stanzi
JVB -anybody
JR - CJB

Tate- JC.
You must have a different definition of large, as I sure don't remember a ton of people calling for that one. Sure, some were concerned that Tate was playing injured, and naturally, you might want to see what a highly rated-elite 11 QB could do, but I don't think "large" would best represent the amount of fans that wanted Drew benched for Jake.

Even if you decide to include him, I would still say the fans are batting 0.600 (good luck convincing me Banks didn't know the offense good enough in 2001. If someone as stupid as Cam Newton can learn fast enough as a first year player, or more likely have the offense dumbed down for him, so could our first year guy).

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

McCann-Banks
JC-Stanzi
JVB -anybody
JR - CJB

Tate- JC.
You must have a different definition of large, as I sure don't remember a ton of people calling for that one. Sure, some were concerned that Tate was playing injured, and naturally, you might want to see what a highly rated-elite 11 QB could do, but I don't think "large" would best represent the amount of fans that wanted Drew benched for Jake.

Even if you decide to include him, I would still say the fans are batting 0.600 (good luck convincing me Banks didn't know the offense good enough in 2001. If someone as stupid as Cam Newton can learn fast enough as a first year player, or more likely have the offense dumbed down for him, so could our first year guy).
Obviously didn't spend a lot of time around here

McCann-Banks
JC-Stanzi
JVB -anybody
JR - CJB

Tate- JC.

Obviously didn't spend a lot of time around here
Well, as MattFoley would say, this board accounts for less than 0.01% of Iowa fans and gives you no indication how most Iowa fans really feel.
wink.r191677.gif

But in all honesty, no I wasn't on here back then. Guess just never heard much about it while at games or driving home listening to Soundoff (and you typically hear about everything imaginable there). You could be right though, just not something I encountered much (actually very little). I somewhat remember going up to the Metrodome that year, saw Tate get benched and JC come in. Hawk fans around us didn't really know what do when they saw him come out, and I'm pretty sure he ended up throwing a pick that series and a lot of fans were scratching their heads.

Re: Lou Holtz on Quarterbacks

An entertaining and smart guy, he said you judge a quarterback on wins. He did this when people were criticizing him for playing Tony Rice, not the best thrower but he won. Ferenz made a good decision as we were not winning enough under Rudoch.

Originally posted by cfhawk22:

Can't wait to watch CJ.
Bingo, same here. If CJ stays healthy and improves his decision making, we've got a good one. I know it's a big if, he will improve with the extra reps he'll get.

Originally posted by Eyeowahawks:

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

the poster claiming nobody wanted JVB to replace Stanzi is WRONG, after how JVB played in that O$U game poster were starting then in 2010 the howls began in earnest for JVB to start, in 2006 People were also clamoring for JC to replace Tate,

this has been going on for decades, as I keep quoting Hayden who said it best

"only in the fans eyes is the BACKUP QB the best"

as for the prespring 2 deeps all those are good for is to provide motivation to the Players and fodder for the internet/off the internet FANS to read. and NOTHING more. cheap entertainment fodder to take up time till spring practice and the fall practice.

that 2 deep will change numerous time between now and the 1st game, injuries, players pass by and some just plain leaving for 0ne reason or another,

LB spearman was listed as the backup at the MLB spot and he left and now his name has been completely removed from the roster and the 2 deeps, this has not happened with JR, but the ANTI-JR crowd sure want him gone. as they still see him as a threat to their GOD CJ.

I remember people calling for JVB when Stanzi "regressed" his senior year. If you don't remember it, then you weren't looking for it. I saw it. I'm sure many on here also saw it. I also saw people calling for Jake over Tate.

And - I can't believe I'm writing this - there is a great deal of truth in the main thrust of JR's argument. Over the last 10-15 years or so our collective fanbase has left quite a bit to be desired:

Booing McCann when he came back in for Banks. People can say they were booing the coaching decision, but the kid on the field doesn't know the difference
Booing Adam Shada when he ran onto the field for Senior Day to meet his parents
Defending "F_CK MICHIGAN" shirts when everybody knows that thousands of children attend games
The personal attacks on KF, BF, GD, Barta,etc. Their effectiveness is fair game. Not their character. Not their humanity. Not their desire to win
Getting so absolutely fall-down, choking-on-vomit drunk while tailgating that the University had to step in to enforce some policies in the name of safety, and then having the nerve to complain about such measures. If we behaved with a bit more responsibility and did a better job of policing our own, then these things wouldn't happen.
The constant assumption that any white safety (Greenwood, Lowdermilk) or wideout has to be a bad athlete. The same drumbeat is being directed at our linebackers, who I promise you will be among the best in the BIG in a couple of years. Instead, because they're white and because they play like freshmen, they lack the "talent" and "athleticism" to be BIG players. The latent bigotry in that stance is sad.
GIF--Clap-applause-good-job-nice-one-clapping-Despicable-Me-Minion-Minions-GIF.gif

Re: Lou Holtz on Quarterbacks

Just win and nobody complains about the QB.

Given the lack of talent on Iowa squad, I have doubts that CJ will be able to win a lot of games if the Defense sucks again or we have no running game again.

Rather than complain about QBs, a lot more of the complaints will be directed at KF and Davis if we continue to have problems beating teams like UNI and ISU and get our asses handed to us by Minnesota.

After watching our last two QBs play, it baffles me how anyone can be butt hurt about the fan base being tired of watching that crap. Rudock and Vandenburg were bad enough to bring down a team by themselves. If CJ sucks in a similar manner, fans will justifiably want to see a backup play. I'm not sure why wanting to give an unproven commodity a chance over a crap player is so difficult for some people to grasp on this board.

Salivating greatly for when CJ has his first 4 pick game. This place will be friggin' awesome!
You're looking forward to our future starting QB doing poorly in a game? That seems..... odd.
Never said I was pining for Iowa to lose.

I just happen to believe that CJB isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, as last years pissing matches here seemed to indicate. He was not the dramatic improvement over Jake that was the reasoning behind last year's board meltdowns.

Our QB problems I believe are not over by him being named the starter. His playing style will get him killed sometime next year.

There will be 2 QB's playing meaningful minutes next year. Bank on it. And them we will get to relive this type of board battle all friggin' over again as a result.
I'm with you. I think we're in for a long fall because our QB play will be average, at best. I hope CJ improves drastically by the time the games start but I'm not guessing that will happen. Improvement, sure but drastic improvement, unlikely. And his play last year was middle of B10, at best.

That said, I will cheer for him (or the backup or the 3rd stringer or...) every Saturday this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT