ADVERTISEMENT

Which of these ages did you regret

What age did you not look forward to?

• Total voters

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012
I have one of these birthdays coming up tomorrow and I’m not going to lie I’m not looking forward to it. I by no means feel like I should be this old already. Where the heck does time go.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I have one of these birthdays coming up tomorrow and I’m not going to lie I’m not looking forward to it. I by no means feel like I should be this old already. Where the heck does time go.
29 was brutal for me at the time. I felt like I was turning 30, so I mourned the loss of my 20s a year early. The 30s turned out to be incredible with our kids being born then, and getting go experience the joys of kids under 10. The 40s were better financially, and I loved my kids as teenagers too, but shit gets a lot more complicated. I’m 49 now staring at 50 and I cannot complain. However, I wish I could go back and start it all over again from age 30.

I’m 49 now staring at 50 and I cannot complain. However, I wish I could go back and start it all over again from age 30.
This is what feeling 50 turns like. There is a sense of gravity to it that you now feel a bit like an elder, but just not yet elderly. No complaints but for the first time your own mortality starts creeping in and, while being satisfied, you wish you could go back and be young and dumb again. This is the year where "youth is wasted on the young" really became a saying for me.

tl;dr I dreaded 50, but now that I’m here I’m having a blast.
______

When I turned 50 in 2022 I really started to think about how many “good” years I have where I can do pretty much anything I want. At some point the physical reality of aging will impact my life and I want to make sure I get all the bucket list things accomplished before that point. Why save all the money until I can’t enjoy the activities I would spend it on?

So I quit my job, started volunteering in non profits that I truly believe in, and have started doing things that arguably I should have done in my twenties. I just wrapped up a 4 night 50 mile hike through the Grand Canyon, have traveled extensively (for fun finally have decades of doing it for work), etc.

The shocking thing is that as you move through the second half of your life there are MANY times where your brain is still in 30 years old mode but then your 50+ year old self says “WTF are you thinking, woman?” 😬
Pics or it didn’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
I voted 70 because I'm looking forward to being able to tell everyone I'm 69.
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

This is what feeling 50 turns like. There is a sense of gravity to it that you now feel a bit like an elder, but just not yet elderly. No complaints but for the first time your own mortality starts creeping in and, while being satisfied, you wish you could go back and be young and dumb again. This is the year where "youth is wasted on the young" really became a saying for me.
The biggest thing that bothered me about turning 50 was the fact that the next milestone is 60. Age is such a mind fvck because I remember things from my teens, 20s, 30s and 40s and they all seem like yesterday. I am 53 and since I quit drinking about 13 months ago, I feel like I am 35. Most people guess my age at least ten years younger than what it is. I am thankful for that at least, especially with two young children.

My bride tells me I was really shitty on my 50th...she thought it was cute when she put 50 of those candles that you can’t blow out on my cake....,I do remember feeling really good about turning 42...I think I could see light at the end of the tunnel about then. I’m damn near 75 now and I still remember to check my zipper several times a day, so that’s a good thing.

tl;dr I dreaded 50, but now that I’m here I’m having a blast.
______

When I turned 50 in 2022 I really started to think about how many “good” years I have where I can do pretty much anything I want. At some point the physical reality of aging will impact my life and I want to make sure I get all the bucket list things accomplished before that point. Why save all the money until I can’t enjoy the activities I would spend it on?

So I quit my job, started volunteering in non profits that I truly believe in, and have started doing things that arguably I should have done in my twenties. I just wrapped up a 4 night 50 mile hike through the Grand Canyon, have traveled extensively (for fun finally have decades of doing it for work), etc.
Love it.
What are you doing for health insurance?

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
My 69-ing days are almost over. Turning 70 in a few days. Spent the last year without knowing which way was up or which way to turn.
Age is just a number and if you’re still able then go for it - if you want to. 😏

Reactions: LuteHawk
I remember 50 kind of bummed me out, but 60 was the really rough one so far. Until I got there, 60 always seemed old. Just the other day a coworker said something about his customers all being "old guys, like 60."

Regret? None of those. Honestly, outside of getting a birthday cake I'm not sure anyone has noticed one of my birthdays in 30 years and I'm totally ok with that. I can think of many other things I'd rather celebrate than a birthday. Like an Iowa sports team win.

As for regrets, any regrets I have come from before about age 26 or so. And some of them were probably actually really good decisions but I still would like to know what might have happened if I'd made a different choice in certain situations. I guess as I've gotten older that's the only thing I really dwell on, not that I'm obsessed with it or anything. All in all, I'm in a pretty good situation right now. Happily married with two kids who only occasionally irritate me, bills get paid, we are able to afford things we want and go on vacations, and we are on track to retire in pretty good shape. There are a lot of people with far more reasons to be upset than I do, that's for sure.

One way to look at life is to value your relationships .
It starts with love for your parents and your siblings.
Then comes marriage and love for your spouse and
children. You also have the relationships with your
close friends. Yes, enjoy your life and the people in it.

Love it.
What are you doing for health insurance?
We were already on the no pic’s insurance. She’s a few years younger and still very engaged by her work. The only downside is that I end up doing more things solo that I would rather do with her. But, I can always do them again later when she comes to the same conclusion.

One way to look at life is to value your relationships .
It starts with love for your parents and your siblings.
Then comes marriage and love for your spouse and
children. You also have the relationships with your
close friends. Yes, enjoy your life and the people in it.
After you admit your Love of the Hawks is your #1 priority.

Reactions: BioHawk
Birthdays never bothered me until this upcoming one. 50 next month, My mind still thinks like I'm in my 20's but the reflection in the mirror says otherwise. It's going to a rough day but any crying is going to be on a beach in Mexico. A HS classmate shared this a couple months back when he turned 50 and it kinda hit hard:

GFE9cZeaoAAvROQ.jpg:large

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT