ADVERTISEMENT

Which of these ages did you regret

What age did you not look forward to?

• Total voters
I turn 39 in a month. I'm not looking forward to 40 at all and have absolutely no idea where time went. I can see why people have a mid life crisis.
The big four 0 is the one that’s coming up tomorrow. I guess I wouldn’t say I regret it but I’d be fine with a few years passing and I stayed the same age.

The 30’s were great. I got married had fur kids bought the house we live in now and became a father. I worry about the 40’s because I became a father at 39 and would like at least one more child. Most on here say the 40’s are great because you’re much more financially stable and they coast through the 50’s.
I don’t see either of those happening which makes me worry a bit.
The other weird thing is working with college students knowing I’m not much younger than their parents, in some instances the same age. Sharing stories with them like something just happened the other day and realizing it was 20 years ago.

Reactions: BrianNole777
40 was the worst one for me, it's always just had that old age tag to it I guess. I turned 50 in August and although there were a few times I had a sinking feeling in my stomach I didn't mind that much.

What I hate is looking at things like I've lived in this house for 10 years, in 10 years I'll be 60! Ahhhhh I hate that. Or looking at how long I've been on this board I'll be 72!! Jeebus I gotta stop doing that. Time really flies. Gotta enjoy it.

Wife just told me one of our friends husband died today at 50 suddenly. Seeing that stuff really hits home. I lost so many friends in my 40's that if it happens in my 50's I won't have many left.

I put 50, but I'm still in my mid 30s. 30 gave me some pause but mostly because it seemed like I had been in my early 20s just yesterday. I expect to struggle with 50 most out of the list, especially because that is when our oldest will graduate.

I got together with some old college and high friends last weekend, and we were talking about this a bit. We agreed it's not so much the age, but the fact that time just seems to be going by faster and faster. I had the same discussion with my grandma a while ago. She is now in her 90s and said even after retiring, becoming a widow, and now being in assisted living, she still feels that her years are going by faster and faster. That really bummed me out for some reason. Maybe there is a biological reason for that as our brains age.

I'm honestly sort of obsessed with the concept of time. What the hell is it even? Pink Floyd's Time really gets to me, as I feel like that guy racing to catch up to sun as it comes up behind him again. But as others have said, it can help you appreciate and maximize the time you have more, which I try to do, failing often.

I put 50, but I'm still in my mid 30s. 30 gave me some pause but mostly because it seemed like I had been in my early 20s just yesterday. I expect to struggle with 50 most out of the list, especially because that is when our oldest will graduate.

I got together with some old college and high friends last weekend, and we were talking about this a bit. We agreed it's not so much the age, but the fact that time just seems to be going by faster and faster. I had the same discussion with my grandma a while ago. She is now in her 90s and said even after retiring, becoming a widow, and now being in assisted living, she still feels that her years are going by faster and faster. That really bummed me out for some reason. Maybe there is a biological reason for that as our brains age.

I'm honestly sort of obsessed with the concept of time. What the hell is it even? Pink Floyd's Time really gets to me, as I feel like that guy racing to catch up to sun as it comes up behind him again. But as others have said, it can help you appreciate and maximize the time you have more, which I try to do, failing often.
I came across this several weeks ago and haven't had "time" to read it, or even begin to try to understand it.

Maybe you have the time? ;)

Did time have a beginning?

https://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5312/1/BeginningOfTime.pdf

I’m 44. 40 was a great milestone. I was in the best shape of my life and spent a long weekend celebrating at the beach with my wife, three young kids, and a couple longtime close friends. I’ve maybe lost a step since then but still feel young and energetic to keep up with the kids and do everything I want. I do remember bday 41 being tough though - felt like shine of the 40th milestone was gone and I was officially just another 40-something schlub.

I agree with what others have written - it’s not the number but how fast the years are going. Having kids is like stepping into a time warp - each day is so hectic that whole months go by in a snap. My oldest doesn’t want to sit on my lap or let me kiss her goodnight anymore, dammit. I try to savor every moment of calm I get with them.

I'm looking at 60 in a couple of weeks. Getting old sucks ass.

I turn 70 Thursday. If it weren't for the physical limitations I wouldn't mind. But I hate always thinking "I used to be able to do that."

In answer to OP, I've never regretted any of them, although at 60 the ticking of the clock started to get louder. In the last couple of years two of my best friends from my youth - including best man at my wedding - died of natural causes. That's really sobering...

I turn 50 on Friday. I "think" I'm pretty indifferent about it, but as I enter the downhill run, I'm certainly thinking about things differently than I did in my 20s and 30s.

I turn 70 Thursday. If it weren't for the physical limitations I wouldn't mind. But I hate always thinking "I used to be able to do that."

In answer to OP, I've never regretted any of them, although at 60 the ticking of the clock started to get louder. In the last couple of years two of my best friends from my youth - including best man at my wedding - died of natural causes. That's really sobering...
Wow! I'd have never guessed you and I were 20 years and 1 day apart. Happy early birthday!

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

I think 60 will be the "Wow! How did I get here!?" birthday. You'll be 80, so hopefully I'll be able to let you know.

For whatever reason, I was having an existential crisis on the eve of my 25th. Halfway to 50!! It was a little in-my-own-mind freak out.

I was headed to the bar to meet some friends - did a little math in my head - and realized I was only turning 24. So the mind started to go early but I figure being able to do the required math made up for it. The next year, 25 came and went with nary a whimper and I haven't worried about one since. csb

Passed 65 in '22...retiring at the end of this school year. I'm good with all of it although it does piss me off that they keep lowering the floor on me. I used to be able to bend over and pick things up with ease but they're getting farther and farther away.

For whatever reason, I was having an existential crisis on the eve of my 25th. Halfway to 50!! It was a little in-my-own-mind freak out.

I was headed to the bar to meet some friends - did a little math in my head - and realized I was only turning 24. So the mind started to go early but I figure being able to do the required math made up for it. The next year, 25 came and went with nary a whimper and I haven't worried about one since. csb

Funny,... 25 was my most difficult birthday as well

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I turn 53 in a couple of weeks. The only regret I have is not doing more traveling earlier in my life.

Still plenty of time. In my youth I really only traveled to the Caribbean to hang on the beach and chase tail. Since 60 I’ve been to Germany, Poland, France, and Lithuania, and had terrific times. We have more trips planned over then next few years. I do want to get it in by age 75 because it’s possible those kinds of trips will be too physically demanding after that.

When I turned 40 it was still possible to improve my physical appearance and performance. Now that I've turned 50, it's clear that is no longer possible, but I'm OK with aspiring to be the best I can be, even if it's not as good as the year before.

I’ve started losing a few friends from high school/college - not just to illnesses or heart/stroke issues, but hearing that they’ve recently been diagnosed with dementia. It’s almost all guys who were my late husband’s teammates who had concussions from playing football.
A friend who was always just a fun person had recovered from Stage 4 esophageal cancer, but was never really the same afterwards passed last month. But he got an extra six years after remission. He was ready to go at the end.

Those of us who have tried to be healthy all our lives are living longer and my girlfriends that I get together with from HS days are all going strong,
Thus far I’m blessed with decent physical health since I try to be pretty active, but lately I’ve noticed I seem to be losing ground to some wrinkles. Retinol and Botox… I’m 74 😛 and every day above ground is okay by me. My parents lived to be 88 and 90 so hopefully I have a few good years left.
Don’t have regrets. If you wish you could get a do-over on life who’s to say if you’d be wise enough to do it differently anyway? Love your partner, love your kids, enjoy your friends and get closer to your siblings.

Happy Birthday week "old balls! 😀

I never feared or dreaded turning any given age, but being young was a helluva lot more fun than being 60.

On the bright side, I'm back to hitting the golf ball about the same distance I did when I was about 20 years old. The downside is that back then I was hitting a balata Titleist with a persimmon head driver

30 felt weird, but I wouldn’t say I was scared of it and I certainly don’t regret hitting it. 40 was actually fine. Just hit 50 recently and that one was a little weirder than the others. I’ll be thrilled to hit 80.

30 felt weird, but I wouldn’t say I was scared of it and I certainly don’t regret hitting it. 40 was actually fine. Just hit 50 recently and that one was a little weirder than the others. I’ll be thrilled to hit 80.

We have decent longevity in my family. My youngest grandparent to die was 78, but she was a heavy smoker and drinker to the day she died. Dad got cancer at 87, but when he got the diagnosis he went straight from the oncologist office to the golf course. Mom is 91, lives on her own, and is strong as an ox. Neither of them ever took care of themselves physically. I'm no fitness nut, but I exercise, eat a reasonable diet and stay active. So I'm hoping to have another 15 active years, and to still get around fine after that.

Reactions: goldmom
We have decent longevity in my family. My youngest grandparent to die was 78, but she was a heavy smoker and drinker to the day she died. Dad got cancer at 87, but when he got the diagnosis he went straight from the oncologist office to the golf course. Mom is 91, lives on her own, and is strong as an ox. Neither of them ever took care of themselves physically. I'm no fitness nut, but I exercise, eat a reasonable diet and stay active. So I'm hoping to have another 15 active years, and to still get around fine after that.
I’m a mixed bag. Paternal grandmother to 97, maternal grandmother to 92, paternal grandfather (prostate cancer) 76, maternal grandfather (heavy drinker/smoker heart attack) 67. Both my parents died of different cancers in the last few years at 74 and 70. I’m hoping my genetic whatevers are more in line with my grandmothers.

Reactions: artradley
Turned 63 last Friday. Life is good and I can't think of an age I dreaded.
Same here, except I am a few years older. However, I think I may feel different when I hit the big 7-0. Whenever I look at the obituaries, I see a lot of people dying in their 70's. :(

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT