ADVERTISEMENT

While we're waiting for wrestling to resume, let's change some rules

On behalf of tall lanky wrestlers everywhere who used boots to turn (but mainly just to pretend we weren’t stalling so we could coast to victory), let us have this rule as it is. Thanks :)

Honestly though, I loved it then, but as a fan, it’s pretty lame. I like the idea of a point and then neutral for riding for x amount of time.

Start each period from neutral and add a push out rule that works just like stalling... And a failed challenge costs a point.

Reactions: sstark46
Let’s get crazy, how about just go 100% freestyle????????

images

I also believe we should go to Freestyle, but if we have to stay with folkstyle. I believe we should incorporate the following:

3 point takedown
1 point for a lost challenge
1 point for push out, but still allow wrestling in the circle. If both wrestlers are on the mat wrestling I like the rule of being able to score as long as a point of the body is in bounds, but from your feet force guys to wrestle in. I think freestyle should allow for turns as long as the top man is in bounds. This would stop guys from diving out of bounds.

What about a point for 1 minute riding time, stalemate, then back to neutral? Watching a guy leg ride for 3+ minutes is boring as hell. At some point the art of the takedown has to take precedence.
I"m with you on that one. It frustrates me to see one of our studs ride his opponent for most of the match and then win by a point or two, especially when it is a seemingly much weaker opponent. I want our fellas to either wrestle like I view Lee's and Marinelli 's style (when on top always looking for the pin) or like ADS' and to a certain degree Kem's style (continuous TD and release until you get the TF via excessive TDs), though clearly Kem is seemingly always looking for the fall; however if he doesn't see an opportunity in short order he seems to release and take him down again). I love that this year's team is made up of a solid group of beasts, who seem to have a seek and destroy mentality. That mentality leads to good bonus points at B10s and NCAAs and is really fricking fun to watch. We've got a great team!

Reactions: 24 so far
In the eighties it seemed like they called stalling or stalemated for double boots; the ref knew when the wrestler was stalling verse breaking a guy down for a turn. He would most times verbal to do something with it. Cross body ride was similar in that it was never an issue, because the ref stalemated. We practiced in the room how to either not let the boots get in or spin into the single leg. I like that part of folk style.
yes there is a way to reverse a leg rider and if you can do it well they will stop trying to throw in legs

The on the mat wrestling is what makes folkstyle great and a direct descendant of catch as catch can wrestling( Gotch and and all the rest in wrestlings hay day)-free style is just a take down tournament, and really watered down imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT