ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

They were but kids and parents weren't listening,.. The high cost of college finally opened their eyes to optional paths...
They were not. If you knew people already in the world of contracting, you could do well in that world. If you didn't know people in that world, you could hear about them hiring for $10/hr in and who knows maybe move up. But there wasn't any idea that these jobs would be in high demand or that pay for them would keep up with other fields. There weren't shortages of plumbers and electricians. UAW wasn't looking for people. We were at the end of history, deindustrializing, and the service sector was going to be the bulk of the economy and the only way to get ahead. That was the world through 2010.

Reactions: Ree4
It'd be weird if it's only the most recent year, and not the average of all the years someone has been paying on student loans. If I work hard paying them off for ten years, and made a lot less than $125k for 9 years - so I was really struggling - and then in year 10 I finally get my break and make more money, and that's the year they base it off of, then I get nothing? That doesn't seem very fair/equitable/whatever their goal is.

I don't think they should be paying student loans at all. But, if they're intent on doing it, then at least make it as fair/equitable as possible.
If going back as you suggested, then they should factor in the time value of money to level set as well.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
If you knew people already in the world of contracting, you could do well in that world. If you didn't know people in that world, you could hear about them hiring for $10/hr in and who knows maybe move up. But there wasn't any idea that these jobs would be in high demand or that pay for them would keep up with other fields. There weren't shortages of plumbers and electricians.

Perhaps not on your planet, but here on earth, in the Midwestern USA, skilled trades have always provided a viable path to financial security,.. In my area plumbing, electrical, HVAC and welding related trades have been consistently looking for bodies over at least the past 20 years...

So much drama. The economy was not shut down. Stop with this nonsense. Were businesses affected, yes. Did we shut down the economy. Not even close. And the PPP was not aimed at the businesses that were affected by what limited shut downs did occur. The money was available and used for all with payroll and required no showing of need. The local closures in no way "justify" that program no more than one duped student justifies massive loan forgiveness.
Talk about revisionist history. Wow.

This is how the lockdown folks want you to remember Covid 19 and the response from blue state governments. Just make up a lie that it didn't happen at all.

So everyone that did not go to college or paid their loans off are being forced to Pay for a few select deadbeats. What the hell throw billions more on the debt.

My understanding is that 52% of student loans belong to the 13% that pursued grad degrees.

Now this is white privledge.

Anyone comparing this to PPP is plain stupid. The PPP parameters were known before taking the loan out. Everyone knew it did not have to be paid back.

People with student loans also knew the parameters and they needed to be paid back.

This will be a net negative politically for the dems. Far more people are against this than are for it.

Perhaps not on your planet, but here on earth, in the Midwestern USA, skilled trades have always provided a viable path to financial security,.. In my area plumbing, electrical, HVAC and welding related trades have been consistently looking for bodies over at least the past 20 years...
On the planet I grew up in, the town where lived, one of the larger towns in Iowa, lost actual population over my lifetime. Their growth didn't slow, their population actually declined while I was living there. Should have told them plumbers and electricians were hiring.

Steer them to humanities and English degrees so they can acquire a soul and learn how to think. Then maybe they won’t be so susceptible to right wing propaganda.
How the fvck about steer them into something that actually has some value and can pay them a living. Humanities and English what a fvcking waste of taxpayer money.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Anyone comparing this to PPP is plain stupid. The PPP parameters were known before taking the loan out. Everyone knew it did not have to be paid back.

People with student loans also knew the parameters and they needed to be paid back.

This will be a net negative politically for the dems. Far more people are against this than are for it.
I agree this will hurt Dems at the polls. Most of the people benefitting aren't a strong voting block.

But as to parameters and what people "knew," that's a whole different story. I believe debtors were (unintentionally) misled with things like income-based repayment plans. I know many people who have been paying each month for more than a decade on income-based repayment plans, and their total debt has actually increased from the original debt when leaving school. Most people didn't know that would be the case. I was even in that boat for many years until I re-financed.

Reactions: nelly02
How the fvck about steer them into something that actually has some value and can pay them a living. Humanities and English what a fvcking waste of taxpayer money.
How about educational jobs, medical, or related professions? That's where you can rack up sizeable student debt?

Your "Humanities and English" example is probably an extremely small number of people with debt.

But you already knew that.

So here's my question on that. If this had been in the form of a tax credit, would you feel the same way? For example, in Trump's 2017 tax plan it increased the amount of the child credit. Do you feel that way letting people keep their own money or buying their votes?
The government taking less money from me via taxes they enforce is not the same as the government letting my skip financial obligations that I willfully took on at the expense of those who properly and responsibly fulfilled those obligations.

Reactions: Rifler
But as to parameters and what people "knew," that's a whole different story. I believe debtors were (unintentionally) misled with things like income-based repayment plans. I know many people who have been paying each month for more than a decade on income-based repayment plans, and their total debt has actually increased from the original debt when leaving school. Most people didn't know that would be the case. I was even in that boat for many years until I re-financed.

Anyone with a college education should have been able to easily navigate the simple math involved here....

The government taking less money from me via taxes they enforce is not the same as the government letting my skip financial obligations that I willfully took on at the expense of those who properly and responsibly fulfilled those obligations.
That didn't answer my question.

If the government had instead made this a tax credit, would you feel the same way? I have a feeling I know why you aren't answering. And FTR, I'm not exactly for this either.

Anyone with a college education should have been able to easily navigate the simple math involved here....
The math involved promises of loan forgiveness that have hardly materialized to date (both for public service and non-public service jobs).

Further, when the government says, "you owe me [x] per month," it's fair for people to think that satisfies your obligation. Instead, you're just increasing your total amount owed every single day. This can be further exacerbated by folks being put on deferment, as interest continues to accrue.

They really need to put existing debt at 0 or 1%, and no more lump sum forgiveness after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelly02
JFC. You're on a role today keep it going.
He could’ve explained the rationale better instead of throwing up a whatabout response like you’d hear on HORT.

I actually am not that persuaded by the “what about people who have paid off their loans” argument. Things happen, times change.

The issue is a one-time forgiveness does nothing to help fix the reasons we are where we are. Estimates are we will be right back to $1.6T in loan debt in 4 or so years, even with all the forgiveness.

This isn’t sound policy, it’s 100% political.

Debt forgiveness advocates are going to get their 50k wish. Notice, this is all being done in small doses as to not totally piss off the ones who have paid their loans responsibly.

Next 10k phase will be near the December 31st deadline, and so on.

That didn't answer my question.

If the government had instead made this a tax credit, would you feel the same way? I have a feeling I know why you aren't answering. And FTR, I'm not exactly for this either.
Why are we dealing in hypotheticals instead of the actual situation in front of us?

And is it a tax credit to people who already aren’t paying taxes? Or who are already paying less than. $10k in taxes? Does everyone get the tax credit or just those with student loan debt? I would need more information for your hypothetical, although I don’t know why we’re discussing it.

Reactions: HugeEddie
He could’ve explained the rationale better instead of throwing up a whatabout response like you’d hear on HORT.

I actually am not that persuaded by the “what about people who have paid off their loans” argument. Things happen, times change.

The issue is a one-time forgiveness does nothing to help fix the reasons we are where we are. Estimates are we will be right back to $1.6T in loan debt in 4 or so years, even with all the forgiveness.

This isn’t sound policy, it’s 100% political.
This wasn’t about the best solution.

Somewhere a bunch of geeks forecasted which outcome would get the most votes for upcoming elections. Look for more thoughtful solutions and more forgiveness to be dangled as a carrot come next election.

Reactions: timinatoria
Why are we dealing in hypotheticals instead of the actual situation in front of us?

And is it a tax credit to people who already aren’t paying taxes? Or who are already paying less than. $10k in taxes? Does everyone get the tax credit or just those with student loan debt? I would need more information for your hypothetical, although I don’t know why we’re discussing it.
We are discussing it because I have a feeling the "delivery method" is what people are most upset about.

What I mean is I didn't hear any R bitch when Trump increased the child tax credit (which was also a giveaway) and I didn't hear many Rs bitch when the PPP "loans" were given out. Don't get me wrong as I'm not exactly for this but I just don't buy the bitching.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT