ADVERTISEMENT

White House to cancel up to $20,000 in debt relief for Pell Grant recipients

You are fvcking clueless! How many trillions do you think we can toss on the deficit without permanently fvcking this country. This is just blatant vote buying and pandering to lazy shitbags.
It is most definitely trying to capture the younger generations, but also a major turnoff for older ones who did it the right way.

Also laughing are the university systems that employ a person for six figures that teach one class a semester. That's where the true problem lies, because society was already trained that you MUST attend college to be successful; a gift that kept on giving.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Oh for cripes sake. Irresponsible and unfair? This is one of the few things modern government has done (child tax credit is another) that is responsible and fair, in that millions of people are going to directly benefit from government action rather than the usual very few.

And again, LOL at ANYONE who went to college pre-1990 who's whining at all about this. You want to talk heavily subsidized and a "free handout" on the back of the average middle class or whatever. Basically prior to then if you went to college you were only sacrificing your time when you could have instead been earning money, student loan debt was low or non-existent.
Yes. Lol. I finished college in 2004. Median student loan debt then in state universities was about 20k. Not much different than now. 20k is not a lot of money to expect a college grad to cover. Anything beyond that, even now, is because of factors within control of the student and not because of college costs.

For most people opposed to this, it's not so much about somebody getting something that they didn't get,.. It's more about also having to pay for it.
Personally, how much will your taxes be used to pay for this? Like an extra $1 a year or what?

Yes. Lol. I finished college in 2004. Median student loan debt then in state universities was about 20k. Not much different than now. 20k is not a lot of money to expect a college grad to cover. Anything beyond that, even now, is because of factors within control of the student and not because of college costs.

I agree; the debt I took on isn't substantial in today's dollars, either.

Problem is, kids want to have "stuff" and live beyond their means while in college; or, attend a college they really cannot afford.

While I don't agree with this policy as it's being implemented, I also disagree that "doing nothing" was the answer here. College costs have WAY outpaced inflation, and my solution was to tie student debt defaults to the colleges' endowments, so they have "skin in the game" in graduating kids who can pay off their loans. And have an incentive to lower the debt those students have to likewise lower their risks.

Of course, straight to your own supposed personal experience that illustrates your opinion on this subject is based solely on personal grievance.

I don't believe your nephew is real, but if he is tell him he's also a sucker.
So his fake nephew is pissed and causing drama because he worked at hyvee to pay his college? How much was was he making at hyvee and what other living expenses did he have?

From 2006-2011 I worked through college avg 32 hrs a week. Worked at hotels for 3 years then at hyvee for a couple of years. I never made over 8.75 an hour and I had to pay rent, car insurance, car payment, cell phone, and other household bills. Your nephew must have been making bank at hyvee!

So his fake nephew is pissed and causing drama because he worked at hyvee to pay his college? How much was was he making at hyvee and what other living expenses did he have?

From 2006-2011 I worked through college avg 32 hrs a week. Worked at hotels for 3 years then at hyvee for a couple of years. I never made over 8.75 an hour and I had to pay rent, car insurance, car payment, cell phone, and other household bills. Your nephew must have been making bank at hyvee!
He did 1 year at Iowa, went to Kirkwood after that because of the cost. Dropped out for a year and worked full time. Went back and finished at Iowa Wesleyan. Lived with my sister.

I agree; the debt I took on isn't substantial in today's dollars, either.

Problem is, kids want to have "stuff" and live beyond their means while in college; or, attend a college they really cannot afford.

While I don't agree with this policy as it's being implemented, I also disagree that "doing nothing" was the answer here. College costs have WAY outpaced inflation, and my solution was to tie student debt defaults to the colleges' endowments, so they have "skin in the game" in graduating kids who can pay off their loans. And have an incentive to lower the debt those students have to likewise lower their risks.
Oh, so this has impacted the cost of college? It dropped the cost?

So does all of this break the narrative that college educated voters are “smarter “ than college educated voters?
I mean, if you went to college and “educated” yourself I think you could find a way to pay off under $20k in loans.

how are these folks supposed to buy the EV if they can’t even afford 20k let alone 10k

iR2CkQ9.jpg

Reactions: pjhawk
He did 1 year at Iowa, went to Kirkwood after that because of the cost. Dropped out for a year and worked full time. Went back and finished at Iowa Wesleyan. Lived with my sister.
I went to 2 community colleges then UNI. Paid for everything with no help from family at all. You act like your 23 year old nephew had the same experience and background that I or everyone else had. I grinded to have a house, food, and car while in college lol.

I am against this forgiveness because it doesn’t fix the horrible system we have in place but I’m not mad at all due to it taking care of the rest of my loans. Let’s not forget the system in place where a college forces you to take classes (electives) outside of your degree and rack up more debt for no reason other than to get more $$$ out of you and be indebted to the government right off the bat.

You can’t be serious.
I am. What makes you think we don't love war? War gets high ratings on TV. We spend lots of money on it. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't watch news on it and we certainly wouldn't spend enormous amounts of money on it. I don't spend time and money on things I don't like. Do you?

Reactions: ConvenientParking
$440-$600 billion over 10 years is what you are mad about when it is actually helping middle to lower class people? Hahaha

Our discretionary spending (mostly made up of additional defense spending) is expected to be $1.7 trillion this year and you are worried about $44-60 billion a year that actually staying in this country and helped our citizens? Must be a weird world you live in

No, it's comparing against pandemic debt that is comical. The last administration would have been hung from a tree had they not released funds for the big bad Fauci virus - and they were clamoring for even more!
How is that comical?

If your logic is that you should have to pay back your loans, then shouldn't you also be upset about all these politicians that didn't pay back their PPP loans? How is that different?

Historically, the average student loan is paid off in 20 years. At 6%, 10k over 20 years $72 per month. How much "suffering" is this really relieving compared to addressing the 100's of other things that are problems right now.

How is that comical?

If your logic is that you should have to pay back your loans, then shouldn't you also be upset about all these politicians that didn't pay back their PPP loans? How is that different?
Nobody would voluntarily pay back a government loan that nearly everyone miscalculated. If they did require it, the mass majority would be doing just that.
You would have to be not right in the head to pay back something not required.

This isn't about politicians & the pandemic. This about liberal universities stealing from our youth for decades. Of course, the root cause gets set on the backburner. Stop with the deflection.

$440-$600 billion over 10 years is what you are mad about when it is actually helping middle to lower class people? Hahaha

Our discretionary spending (mostly made up of additional defense spending) is expected to be $1.7 trillion this year and you are worried about $44-60 billion a year that actually staying in this country and helped our citizens? Must be a weird world you live in

This is Republican 101

- They only care about themselves and their money

- If you inconvenience them in any way, you will be met with anger

- If you ask them to sacrifice for another, you will be met with rage

- Most of what they believe is about 180 degrees from actual reality as they are the second most brainwashed people in the history of the planet

- They are easily whipped into a frenzy over complete nonsense. If you doubt this, locate your nearest republican and ask them about caravans, transgenders playing women's sports or this latest grievance, student loan forgiveness. Simply ask their thoughts on the subject, then grab a drink and a bag of chips and watch the show. The tears will flow and they will foam at the mouth for a minimum of 20 minutes and many of them will complain for a lifetime. My holy roller retired cop uncle and his wife, both in their mid-70s, still complain about LBJ and his various legislation to help the poor and minorities. They were both in high school at the time, 1964, and they are still pissed off about medicare, civil rights, etc.

- They are extraordinarily self-congratulatory. Any success was 100% their own doing

- They have no self awareness, at all

- They are completely incapable of putting themselves in other people's shoes

I could go on but you get the idea

Last edited:
Reactions: srams21
This is Republican 101

- They only care about themselves and their money

- If you inconvenience them in any way, you will be met with anger

- If you ask them to sacrifice for another, you will be met with rage

- Most of what they believe is about 180 degrees from actual reality as they are the second most brainwashed people in the history of the planet

- They are easily whipped into a frenzy over complete nonsense. If you doubt this, locate your nearest republican and ask them about caravans, transgenders playing women's sports or this latest grievance, student loan forgiveness. Simply ask their thoughts on the subject, then grab a drink and a bag of chips and watch the show. The tears will flow and they will foam at the mouth for a minimum of 20 minutes and many of them will complain for a lifetime.

- They are extraordinarily self-congratulatory. Any success was 100% their own doing

- They have no self awareness, at all

- They are completely incapable of putting themselves in other people's shoes

I could go on but you get the idea
Nah, I believe most republicans and Democrats are good people that have common sense. You obviously have those types you listed within the party but same could be said about the Dems as well.

Nobody would voluntarily pay back a government loan that nearly everyone miscalculated.
Explain this one in more detail please. Seems to me like you are justifying the PPP loans being forgiven while shitting on this idea.

To me, either you are for both or against both.

It is most definitely trying to capture the younger generations, but also a major turnoff for older ones who did it the right way.

Also laughing are the university systems that employ a person for six figures that teach one class a semester. That's where the true problem lies, because society was already trained that you MUST attend college to be successful; a gift that kept on giving.
The older one's who did it the right way didn't have to deal with inflationary costs of college and predatory lending.

And if you're not crying when we forgive billions of business debt or continually bail out companies that are too large to fail, or continue to give the wealthiest Americans massive tax breaks, then don't cry to me because we helped a few small fries.

Someone posted all the debt that had been forgiven for multiple Republican politicians. Millions and millions of dollars in debt forgiven for just maybe 10 politicians in the one list. Those are some of the loudest complainers, but they certainly didn't mind having their debt forgiven.

Stop with your false outrage.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT