ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s your favorite guitarist?

Too many to count really...

EVH, Gilmour, Page, Hendrix, SRV, Cantrell, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh - (there's more "old school" ones out there I'm not including).

I have been watching a lot of Buckethead recently. I'm also a big Ian Thornley fan.

Last edited:
Deceased: Jerry Garcia
Living: Billy Strings

That said, I usually think about these things in tiers. I don't think I'm discerning enough to prefer - for example - Clapton over Page in terms of just pure musicianship/guitar skill. It's usually about the band and the songs, and how the guitar fits in.

I couldn’t possibly pick just one. Guys that I listen to the most are:

1. Danny Gatton
2. Larry Carlton
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Robben Ford
5. Jeff Beck
6. Derek Trucks

And I could probably list a couple dozen more that I think the world of.

My avatar here is Mick Ronson (RIP) cuz I believe his work is grossly under appreciated. Worked most notably with David Bowie and Ian Hunter but also extensively with Bob Dylan and many others. Very talented guitarist, producer, composer.

Anyway, Ronson replaced my previous avatar- Tommy Bolin - who is in a class by himself IMO. Fair Disclosure: I grew up in Sioux City not too far from the Bolins and was friends with Tommy’s younger brother for awhile.

Clapton and Allman overall though I think guitarists like Randy Bachman of the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive are overlooked due to not being known for their solos.

(Allman joined the Layla sessions on the 4th song and played slide for the rest of the album except for Anyday where Clapton played slide and Allman took the middle solo. Producer Tim Dowd swears he remembers them switching guitars at some point and that song is my guess for when it happened.)

4cda2d99d74674219d13d730bf2ce62c--steven-seagal-guitar-players.jpg

This is where my thought went. I could just sit and listen to him play all day
You get this thread.

It is not another "who is the best guitar player" thread. The OP asked "Who is your favorite"? (and that would include someone you could listen to all day).

Everyone likes different things. EXAMPLE: I recognize EVH is a great guitar player and in my top 5 as a player.....but favorite (to me).....possibly top 25 if even that.

Last edited:
Even tho he's a human trainwreck right now, Neal Schon has always gotten into my soul. Everyone knows his work with Journey, but I saw him a LONG time ago touring with Paul Rodgers as a tribute tour to Muddy Waters and holy shit he might be the greatest blues player alive. He's the king of playing solos you can sing.

It can be found on youtube. Mind blowing.

Page and Blackmore were my biggest influences to learn to play tho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT