ADVERTISEMENT

Who is a the Hawkeyes gonna git ?

Who is gushing? Do you think we are "gushing" because we see both the bad and the good?

The people giving him high ratings for recruiting and saying what I quoted. The people puffing up recruit rankings and (multiple way) ties for third place. Those people excited about a close loss to a bored (because they were up by 25) Tennessee team like it’s some kind of notable accomplishment. Those people excited about averaging a 9 seed in the tourney after nine years.

Those people are just deluding themselves from facing average at best results for nine years, and accepting the fact that we’ve likely already seen the peak of Fran’s tenure here.

Last edited:
Is there any system that exists in the entire world that doesn’t look better with quicker players? I would argue rather strongly that Fran does not rely on a quick point guard to make things work and that is why it hasn’t been a focus. I think the bigger impact would be on the defensive end but that is more personnel related with Jordan rather than systemic. All this talk about not having people creating their own shots has magically resulted in a top 20 offense in the country.

Is there any system that exists in the entire world that doesn’t look better with quicker players? I would argue rather strongly that Fran does not rely on a quick point guard to make things work and that is why it hasn’t been a focus. I think the bigger impact would be on the defensive end but that is more personnel related with Jordan rather than systemic. All this talk about not having people creating their own shots has magically resulted in a top 20 offense in the country.
Arguably Fran’s best team or two came with Gesell, the best defensive PG in his tenure, heading the point (Counting Clemmons as SG)

I think this is a reason for optimism with Toussaint coming in. Hopefully he can provide similar defensive and facilitating ability. Not expecting much scoring-wise immediately, but would bet he will be a factor in the scoring column his last couple years

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
The people giving him high ratings for recruiting and saying what I quoted. The people puffing up recruit rankings and (multiple way) ties for third place. Those people excited about a close loss to a bored (because they were up by 25) Tennessee team like it’s some kind of notable accomplishment. Those people excited about averaging a 9 seed in the tourney after nine years.

Those people are just deluding themselves from facing average at best results for nine years, and accepting the fact that we’ve likely already seen the peak of Fran’s tenure here.
You lost me when you said "close loss to a bored ... Tennessee team". If a team is bored playing for a berth in tha Sweet 16, they don't belong there. Iowa almost won that game on their own merits. If you can't see that, you are the one living in an alternate reality.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
You lost me when you said "close loss to a bored ... Tennessee team". If a team is bored playing for a berth in tha Sweet 16, they don't belong there. Iowa almost won that game on their own merits. If you can't see that, you are the one living in an alternate reality.

Lolz. They were board because they were up by 25 points in the first half. If you can’t see that, you are seriously deluded.

Reactions: ztmac
Everyone talks about how hard it is to recruit and do well as an Iowa coach. It seems to me if teams like Davidson, Bradley, Buffalo, Lyola can do well, certainly a P5 school like Iowa could also. And there are teams every year that were awful last year but end up winning 20-25 games the next. So why not Iowa???

Everyone talks about how hard it is to recruit and do well as an Iowa coach. It seems to me if teams like Davidson, Bradley, Buffalo, Lyola can do well, certainly a P5 school like Iowa could also. And there are teams every year that were awful last year but end up winning 20-25 games the next. So why not Iowa???

Iowa was awful in 2017-18 and won 23 games the next season. So, there you go.

As for the mid-major Cinderellas you mentioned, crazy stuff happens in the tournament. None of those teams have had consistent tournament success in the years since their surprise NCAA runs. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle, like Davidson did with Steph Curry. Sometimes you just get lucky. The Hawkeyes almost did this past season (I know, horseshoes and hand grenades). But I don't want Iowa to be a one-year wonder and then fade into irrelevance. Iowa should be better than that. Doing that means stringing together multiple solid recruiting classes. That's been hard for any Iowa coach to do in recent history.

Austin Vereen?

Grad Xfr from VMI

6'4" Guard who redshirted last year coming off injury so he could complete studies and become Grad Transfer. He's from DC Area and Garza retweeted his announcement. yeah... i creeped.... Tom's ceepy corner rubs off on you ;)
Is he Bens son?

I’ve heard a few of credible, highly regarded b-ball people describe this year’s Hawkeye team as having heart. I hate to see so many fans feel like it wasn’t a successful season. I heard many people say hawks were the most fun team to watch. This was a fun season. C’mon people, half full or half empty? Look forward to this next season. I bet you’ll be happy you did. Very talented , experienced deep, flexible, and know who the leaders are. Go Hawks!

Iowa was awful in 2017-18 and won 23 games the next season. So, there you go.

As for the mid-major Cinderellas you mentioned, crazy stuff happens in the tournament. None of those teams have had consistent tournament success in the years since their surprise NCAA runs. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle, like Davidson did with Steph Curry. Sometimes you just get lucky. The Hawkeyes almost did this past season (I know, horseshoes and hand grenades). But I don't want Iowa to be a one-year wonder and then fade into irrelevance. Iowa should be better than that. Doing that means stringing together multiple solid recruiting classes. That's been hard for any Iowa coach to do in recent history.
I agree we need consistency, but if these mid-majors can get lucky once in a while, shouldn't Iowa be able to do the same? Just sayin'.

I get that you want more from the basketball program, but the Vols were lucky to win against the Hawks and they knew it. Admiral was so embarrassed by Cook in a 5 or 6 min stretch in the second half, including a posterizing (if that is a word), that he took himself out of the game and chose to stay out. Too bad we didn't see a lot more of that from Tyler...

Didn't we beat Davidson by over 30 points in an NCAA game a few years ago?

I get that you want more from the basketball program, but the Vols were lucky to win against the Hawks and they knew it. Admiral was so embarrassed by Cook in a 5 or 6 min stretch in the second half, including a posterizing (if that is a word), that he took himself out of the game and chose to stay out. Too bad we didn't see a lot more of that from Tyler...
Ultimate Spin. T was the team.

Curious. I read this board all the time. I don't hate on the Hawks like a lot of Cyclone fans do. However, I constantly see you guys getting really excited about Joe T coming in and to be honest. He was not recruited by anyone in a power 5 conference. It kind of seems like you all are trying to sell yourself on how good he is going to be and after watching videos. I see why he was not offered by a lot of teams. He just is not quick and didn't impress me at all. I just don't see what you all are seeing. I doubt he can even crack the top 8 on your team next season. So what are you all seeing that a bunch of major basketball teams coaches missed? Just curious. Not trying to flame.

Curious. I read this board all the time. I don't hate on the Hawks like a lot of Cyclone fans do. However, I constantly see you guys getting really excited about Joe T coming in and to be honest. He was not recruited by anyone in a power 5 conference. It kind of seems like you all are trying to sell yourself on how good he is going to be and after watching videos. I see why he was not offered by a lot of teams. He just is not quick and didn't impress me at all. I just don't see what you all are seeing. I doubt he can even crack the top 8 on your team next season. So what are you all seeing that a bunch of major basketball teams coaches missed? Just curious. Not trying to flame.
Fran described him yesterday as bullet quick and a coast to coast type player. Evidently you and Fran have evaluated Joe Toussaint differently.

Last edited:
Fran described him yesterday as bullet quick and a coast to coast type player. Evidently you and Fran have evaluated Joe Toussaint differently.

I am just going by other coaches that have offered. Fran seems to have evaluated him totally different than every other power 5 coach.

I am just going by other coaches that have offered. Fran seems to have evaluated him totally different than every other power 5 coach.
But that's just it, isn't it? Just like he evaluated Aaron White, Jordan Bohannon and Andrew Flemming differently than virtually everyone else. It's what will make or break him. It's not like he hasn't shown the ability to find diamonds in the rough, but he's also had his misses.

So is it safe to assume you feel the same way about Tre Jackson?

So is it safe to assume you feel the same way about Tre Jackson?

First off I don't see Cyclone fans expecting Tre Jackson to come in and do what Hawk fans think Joe T is going to do. Second Tre Jackson was also offered by South Carolina and Southern Miss. He is also ranked 197th. Toussaint was ranked 227. The main point is wondering why you think he will be able to come in and do so much? He looks like a project to me, which is fine, which is what Tre Jackson is. A 4 year player who will see limited minutes his freshman season.

First off I don't see Cyclone fans expecting Tre Jackson to come in and do what Hawk fans think Joe T is going to do. Second Tre Jackson was also offered by South Carolina and Southern Miss. He is also ranked 197th. Toussaint was ranked 227. The main point is wondering why you think he will be able to come in and do so much? He looks like a project to me, which is fine, which is what Tre Jackson is. A 4 year player who will see limited minutes his freshman season.
Not a whole lot of difference between the 2 in rankings, plus Columbia, SC is not exactly NY City. I like the toughness that Toussaint has shown. You already stated that you don't think he is quick which, IMHO, tells me a lot. I guess we will see who ends up with the better P5 showing.

First off, Dayton and Wichita St are much better offers than Southern Miss.

Second, when you are propping a guy ranked 197 over someone at 227 it is a huge stretch. Rankings at that point become a crap shoot. The difference in their rankings was 0.0082 points.

Reactions: BBHawk

Who exactly is expecting him to do a lot? I have nearly universally seen people expect him to play 5 to 10 minutes per game and provide a different look with the ball and on defense. Nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT