ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the greatest female vocalist of all time?

My favorite is Connie Boswell, even better with her sisters singing harmony.

Best one I know of today is Davina from Davina and the Vagabonds. She’s a modern double Joplin- sings like Janis, plays piano like Scott.

Barbra Streisand and it's not even close. Best of the rest - Karen Carpenter, Katherine Jenkins, and Celine Dion.
I must disagree. I heard Streisand live and she has as good of pipes as any.

Having trouble linking it on my phone but check out Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmy Lou Harris covering “After The Goldrush” on Letterman. It’s superb.

Emmylou did some backup vocals on tracks on my homey Conor Oberst's most famous record and that's how I was introduced. Conor is not a top 100 vocalist born in Omaha in 1980 but is probably the most successful.

Ain’t no best. This is just who are your favorite vocalists.

Twenty four year-old Julie Andrews was pretty remarkable.

Scary Poppins, Biden's Minister of Truth, has some pipes, too.

I was at her show in IC when she played a show with and met Greg Brown. They married not long after.

I told some hippy chick I was looking forward to seeing Brown for the first time. She said, ‘Greg Brown? Pfffft. IRIS DeMENT!’

She was right.
Iris was always a little nervous performing live; I saw her later at the Englert and she had somebody from the audience run back and buy her a beer to sip onstage. Love Our Town; she supposedly wrote it (her first song) riding a bus across Oklahoma, seeing all the dying little towns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT