ADVERTISEMENT

Who Plans to Watch THE LAST OF US?

Have you played the game? Do you plan to check out the series?

• I have played the game and will definetly not watch.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Apparently this video game spinoff begins today (Jan 15) on HBO.

I haven't played the game so have no idea what to expect.

Can HBO do TV for serious video games what the first 5 seasons of Game of Thrones did for epic fantasy sagas?

Apparently this video game spinoff begins today (Jan 15) on HBO.

I haven't played the game so have no idea what to expect.

Can HBO do TV for serious video games what the first 5 seasons of Game of Thrones did for epic fantasy sagas?

Is just read up on this and will watch. The zombie stuff looks way more believable than TWD, as they die and stay dead.looking forward to it.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I’ve played the game a few times. The original and the remake on the PS5. Personally, it’s one of my favorite games of all time. (I thought The Last of Us 2 was shit though). It’s a very story driven game mainly focusing on the relationship between Joel and Ellie.

Emotional scene from the game. Spoilers contained in the video.

I will watch this for sure but it’s behind Mayfair Witches for my Sunday night viewing. For now.

These kinds of shows are right up my alley. I was surprised to read that the actor playing Joel (Pedro Pascal) is reportedly earning $600,000 per episode. That's crazy money for a TV series.

Surprisingly, the first episode was pretty faithful to the game. A lot of scenes taken directly from the game.

Reactions: drew_hawk
1st episode was great. The first 30 minutes were super intense. A few small changes from the game but nothing major so far.

I loved how they built Sarah up as a character. It made her death way more emotional than the game.

Wow, I rank this at "Drop everything you are doing and watch this now.".

You won't see many surprises if you've played the game, in fact, many parts are lifted straight from the game. But really, why would you change it? It was perfect already. The creators of this series clearly knew not to f**k up something that was already perfect.

Reactions: Dorrman
1st episode was great. The first 30 minutes were super intense. A few small changes from the game but nothing major so far.

I loved how they built Sarah up as a character. It made her death way more emotional than the game.
I felt the emotion in the game as well. Mainly because you spend so much time trying to keep her alive and then who ends up killing her. It really set a tone and it completely justifies Joel's character through the rest of the game. The actress and the writers did an excellent job showing this. Since you didn't get to play her as a character they needed to add more to her character development and they did a fantastic job with that.

I was interested to see if the body count would approach the video game. I figured they would cut it back since it's kind of ridiculous to have the protagonists kill as many people in a live action series as they do in the video game. However, just with the overall body count they didn't seem to cut back much in the first episode. Maybe they didn't have to since it wasn't Joel and Ellie doing most of it.

I will check it out at some point, but f*! was I getting really fed up with the constant ads for it - like 2 or 3 every commercial break - earlier this past week.

The first episode of the show had the same effect as playing the game for the first time; you fall in love with Sarah and your heart is broken within the first 20 minutes. Brilliant evocation of tragedy

They are top notch games, loved both of them(there is Last of us 1 & 2). The same creators (Naughty Dog) also did the Uncharted series which recently had a movie created about it. The God of War games are awesome too if anyone is interested.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I enjoyed the game right before my first son was born. I'm pretty certain it was the last game I ever rented.

Enjoyed the first episode as well.

Re spoiler: I nearly turned it off for good at that point in the show.

I did finish the episode, and liked it. But I'm not certain I liked it enough to continue.

I thought the opening few minutes of John Hannah setting the stage for the coming disaster worked really well. I assumed we wouldn't see him again in the series because of the time shift, but he's always good.

I thought Anna Torv was terrific in Fringe and a couple of Aussie shows I've seen her in. I don't know if it's the makeup (she has been beaten when we first encounter her in this show) or if she isn't aging all that well. If the latter, I'll be able to tell if she's really a good actress or if I just gave her extra credit for her looks.

I voted that I played the game but that's a lie kind of. I was familiar with the beginning of the story because I watched my roommates play it when it came out. First episode just as crazy as I remember the game. I remarked to my friends that this was way better than Walking Dead. And it is. Great pilot.

Question for those who know the game (and anyone else, of course): Is the lead guy, Joel Miller, supposed to be brutish and not too smart? I mean he's likeable enough when we meet him, but doesn't seem like the brightest bulb. And by the end he's (arguably understandably) basically a thug. Is that just a misperception on my part? If not, will he get better?

Question for those who know the game (and anyone else, of course): Is the lead guy, Joel Miller, supposed to be brutish and not too smart? I mean he's likeable enough when we meet him, but doesn't seem like the brightest bulb. And by the end he's (arguably understandably) basically a thug. Is that just a misperception on my part? If not, will he get better?
I think similar to Avatar, the lead is supposed to be kind of dull and regular as an avatar for the audience. So you're not trying to relate to someone particularly heroic going through this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT