ADVERTISEMENT

Who's our Wildcat QB?

Sep 4, 2012
Last year the boat rowers had a lot of success running the Wildcat in short yardage situations. If Brian were to add a Wildcat package to the offense, who do you think the QB should be?

Without knowing the players, it's difficult to say. There can be great athletes that slow down when they have to process even simple reads from the quarterback position. That being said, the three players that have the athletic skills would probably be Goodson, Smith-Marsette, and Tracy. But even then, ISM and Tracy aren't used to getting the ball and cutting it up through the A gap (and the ball security issues that go along with that).

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
The Gophs run it with Seth Greene who is 6’4” - 240 lbs. He is listed as a WR but originally came in as a QB. I think the Hawks will just continue to run sneaks with Petras since he has pretty good size.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
The Gophs run it with Seth Greene who is 6’4” - 240 lbs. He is listed as a WR but originally came in as a QB. I think the Hawks will just continue to run sneaks with Petras since he has pretty good size.

That's wild, I always thought Seth Green was like 5'2

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Last year the boat rowers had a lot of success running the Wildcat in short yardage situations. If Brian were to add a Wildcat package to the offense, who do you think the QB should be?
Did you watch our QB sneaks last year? We don’t need the wild cat. Just run behind TL all day long.

iSM is not big enough. Tracy might be a decent option but again, he isn’t too big. Sam LaPorta seems like he could surely pick up a yard or two on fourth and one.

This. It's keep getting brought up year after year, not gonna happen. Better chance of picking up pixie sticks with your butt cheeks.
never say never. If every other team we play thinks that what better way to screw them up than run it for the heck of it. I would like to see an off balanced line-motion and a QB sweep

Never been much of a fan of the wildcat. It’s so predictable when in that formation because teams almost NEVER actually pass out of it. If I’m a DC I wouldn’t be concerned about a pass.

And given our risk averse HC we sure wouldn’t actually pass, so what’s the use, other than the other obvious option - handing off to the jet sweep.

And when you need 1 yard on 3rd down, why would you have your QB (or any athlete) be getting the snap in shotgun?

Yeah - the Gophers wildcat is essentially a little like Northwestern's superback. Greene is like an H-back ... but who can get the ball as a wildcat QB too.

Given that Brian has been diversifying our TEs ... lining them up, both like H-backs and TEs ... it's not outside the line of possibility that he might toy around with such an idea with our TEs. Back when we had Hock and Fant - we ran some reverses and shovel passes to those guys. Going wildcat with such an athlete isn't that big of a leap ... other than it is a significant tell that we're going to run.

Miamen is a pretty good athlete ... perhaps he could pull off that sort of look?

Seeing as I’ve got as much of a chance at playing Wildcat QB as anyone at Iowa as long as KF is here... Me.

I’m Iowa’s Wildcat QB.

Not sure about that. FWIW I've heard that there was a point last season that KF completely turned the offense over to Brian. Evidenced by the way we looked in the bowl game.

Not sure about that. FWIW I've heard that there was a point last season that KF completely turned the offense over to Brian. Evidenced by the way we looked in the bowl game.

Execution and a healthy offensive line was the difference. (Playing a mediocre defense didn’t hurt.) The offense scored 35 points running the plays that were there all season. The jet sweeps have been there for years. The screen ISM scored on was the exact same play he scored a TD against Miami Oh on in game one. KF still approves the game plan and every play that gets called. He wears a headset for a reason. I promise you there wasn’t a time where he “completely turned the offense over,” whatever that means.

Execution and a healthy offensive line was the difference. (Playing a mediocre defense didn’t hurt.) The offense scored 35 points running the plays that were there all season. The jet sweeps have been there for years. The screen ISM scored on was the exact same play he scored a TD against Miami Oh on in game one. KF still approves the game plan and every play that gets called. He wears a headset for a reason. I promise you there wasn’t a time where he “completely turned the offense over,” whatever that means.

You didn't notice the difference in the play calling and selection?Did you ever notice the wildcat plays when they get blown up? I bet not.

Do we have any other fairly athletic 6'4" big guys that can run the QB sneak for 5 yds a carry?........

I would say Wirfs but he left early unfortunately.

On a more serious note...the thing with ISM is that you want the ball in his hands in space...not where he surrounded by 280 plus guys on both sides. He is a prime dude to keep on the outside because of the attention he will draw.

But what do I know. I mean, in NCAA Football (PS2) I took over a Northwestern program that didn't win the game the year before and in two years took them to 8-4.....then they fired my ass.

Did you ever notice the wildcat plays when they get blown up? I bet not.

What are you talking about? Do you know what a wildcat QB is? Could you tell me a time in KF’s 21 seasons as HC that we’ve utilized one?

The people who cover USC said they’ve been weak on the perimeters all year. That’s where we had success. I’m sure the staff emphasized that in the game plan. We still couldn’t rush consistently up the middle against their blue chip DT’s outside of the QB sneak series. Still ran those plays to set everything up.

Do you think it’s as simple as “we’re not going to run the plays that don’t work anymore and we’re going to run all successful plays from here on out?” Listen to the On Iowa podcast. They have our assistant coaches on all the time. I guarantee you, there was no “handing over the offense.”

We had a healthy oline that practiced together for bowl prep and was on the same page so the execution was there and USC was a statistically lousy defense (they finished 78th in team defense). That was the magical formula. It also didn’t hurt that Stanley balled out. Over his career at Iowa, he hit 58.3% of his passes. He hit 66% against USC. That gets back to execution, though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT