ADVERTISEMENT

It’s kind of a shame that Brian back to OL coach is not an option

As we all know Kirk dropped the ball. At the end of last year he could have fired Barnett and brought in a competent oc and moved Brian back to ol coach. He could have even given Brian a title like run game coordinator to save face. This is what I was saying to do last year and I still feel that was the right move and no one would have thought much of it. But they obviously went a different direction that did not work.
I don't think he did this because of the fact they brought in some offensive pieces that they thought would help the problem!

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I love KF. Mostly. But he had plenty of time to communicate this to BG if that was his intention. All would have been fine. Instead his intransigence took over and dogged inflexibility killed that possibility. Which I doubt existed. Unfortunate to lose BF and his position coaching skills.
Maybe it was communicated. You don't know that it wasn't.

Maybe I’m wrong or misremembering, but I’ve always felt our OL decline started with Polasek and continued on with Barnett. (I never bought into the Chris Doyle theory.)

I just wish the Brian debacle wasn’t so binary in terms of options. Other than having to swallow pride, why couldn’t Brian take over for Barnett? If this is a stupid question, pardon me—but is there some legal or contractual barrier that would not allow Brian to take on a different role?

Obviously, I’m not a fan of Brian’s for a lot of reasons, but all the Paul Chryst chatter (legit or not) got me thinking about possible scenarios. Paul Chryst as OC/QB coach and Brian back to OL would seem, in theory, to fix a lot of problems with the Iowa offense. Yeah, I know, I hate Brian yada yada, but I do not have a lot of faith in Barnett or someone new Kirk would bring in.

Just thinking out loud. Roast away!

Not for me, I’m ready for you guys to find someone completely new to bitch about. And you will…if he was still here, he’d still be a lightning rod. Even if he carried water…

Reactions: doughuddl2
There is no legal or contractual reason that I can think of why BF couldn't be hired as OL coach.

But, I don't think it will happen.
this.
No way that would work, nor would Chryst want Brian lurking as an Ex OC.
Not a comfortable situation.
Brian just needs to move on.

Reactions: BDJHawk and littlez
DerNot for me, I’m ready for you guys to find someone completely new to bitch about. And you will…if he was still here, he’d still be a lightning rod. Even if he carried water…
the muppets idiot GIF

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Not a fan of BF at any coaching position at Iowa. My recollection is the offensive line has been mediocre for quite some time.

Reactions: littlez
The blame is entirely on Kirk and Brian.
That is correct. I wish we could have seen what would happen if he did not have those stipulations in his contract. I think we all know KF would have used the injury excuse as to the offense’s problems this year and would have not made any changes.

I think he was a good OL coach but the more I think about Brians time at OC it kind of reminds me of my oldest son.

He is on the spectrum (not severely) but hes a pretty creative kid. Awkward and takes time to adjust in social settings and likes his routine. Once his routine is thrown off he takes time to adjust and gets a little frustrated and a little temperamental.

Brian can be creative like a few games in his tenure. He is more or less just arrogant and an ass to the media. And once his scripted plays are done or injuries happen he struggles to adjust. Maybe there's a non diagnosis there but I'm 90% sure its just stubbornness and arrogance

After his outburst in Indy, I’m glad he is going to be gone. He completely lost his proverbial shiat after that terrible call and cost the team an unsportsmanlike penalty. He is a liability on the sideline and toxic due to his failures as OC. I’m glad the higher ups at U of I said BF is gone and won’t be coming back in any role with the football program. It’s time to move on to competent coaches that don’t say “what’s the upside” or that he doesn’t care what the fans think. Add in saying they aren’t changing on offense, only going to do it better. And if KF isn’t going to change to have a more modern offense, he can go to.

There was never a chance in hell that Kirk would have considered any demotion of Brian.

Maybe I’m wrong or misremembering, but I’ve always felt our OL decline started with Polasek and continued on with Barnett. (I never bought into the Chris Doyle theory.)

I just wish the Brian debacle wasn’t so binary in terms of options. Other than having to swallow pride, why couldn’t Brian take over for Barnett? If this is a stupid question, pardon me—but is there some legal or contractual barrier that would not allow Brian to take on a different role?

Obviously, I’m not a fan of Brian’s for a lot of reasons, but all the Paul Chryst chatter (legit or not) got me thinking about possible scenarios. Paul Chryst as OC/QB coach and Brian back to OL would seem, in theory, to fix a lot of problems with the Iowa offense. Yeah, I know, I hate Brian yada yada, but I do not have a lot of faith in Barnett or someone new Kirk would bring in.

Maybe he was offered and refused?

• Haha
I just wish the Brian debacle wasn’t so binary in terms of options. Other than having to swallow pride, why couldn’t Brian take over for Barnett?
Money? I don't see BF willing to accept a major pay cut. If you keep his pay the same do you give raises to all the other assistant coaches?

BF may be a good/great coach someday. He needs to get out from under his father's shadow and prove it somewhere else however IMO.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Good take Ragnar. I thought before going into this past year the best scenario would have been moving Brian to the OL but also making him the co-offensive coordinator/run-game coordinator then bring in the real OC that would the co-offensive coordinator/passing game coordinator. Pay the new OC really well, they could keep BF's salary the same or whatever, but in this scenario everyone wins. Most people tend to think that BF would make a better head coach than an OC so when KF decides to step down it would have been a natural move for BF to be the next HC. All with the caveat that everything keeps running smoothly and the team keeps winning. I would have thought that this was brought up, so who knows if KF or Barta didn't want to do that, but it started with Barta's contract. I have been very vocal about Beth not having to do what she did in the middle of the season, but, I don't blame her for this.
Who are most people that think Brian would be a better head coach than OC? Name me one person who actually said that out loud. That’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard. What would qualify him to be a head coach? Cmon man

Who are most people that think Brian would be a better head coach than OC? Name me one person who actually said that out loud. That’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard. What would qualify him to be a head coach? Cmon man
The OC job was supposed to be Brian's audition for head coach. Not only did he perform poorly, the optics on the sidelines (and in the press box) weren't good.
It's a shame KFz didn't move him back to OL or let him move to the NFL (which he reportedly wanted to do a year or two agao). The both would have saved face.

I don’t think he’s qualified to be a head coach. But I also think he’d be a better head coach than offensive coordinator because it’d be really hard to perform worse in any football role than Brian has done these past three seasons.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus

Name another team that has demoted its OC/DC to position coach the next season? First off Brian’s ego wouldn’t allow it. 2nd off he’s become too toxic for Iowa on and off the field. Just get him away from the program asap.

While many aspects of that development favored Kirk Ferentz, the players’ side also claimed victory because two counts of the federal lawsuit (overseeing a racially hostile environment and deprivation of civil rights) were allowed to continue and put more scrutiny on the behaviors of Doyle and Brian Ferentz. BRIAN DID NOT HELP THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM WITH HIS OC POSITION AND HIS LACK OF PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR - ADIOS AND NOT AMIGO

It would look TERRIBLE if Kirk fired Barnett and hired Brian.

And that's an understatement.

I prefer to just fire them both.

I've been proposing the same strategy since before Beth's formal announcement, why not keep Brian on staff as a position coach where he has shown past success?

I realize that Brian's ego may make this an untenable proposition for him, but if he really enjoys coaching here alongside his father, then why not? I couldn't care less about the vocal minority in our fanbase that would howl over this happening.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Well, do you think Kirk Ferentz would be a better OC than a head coach?

I don't.

While many aspects of that development favored Kirk Ferentz, the players’ side also claimed victory because two counts of the federal lawsuit (overseeing a racially hostile environment and deprivation of civil rights) were allowed to continue and put more scrutiny on the behaviors of Doyle and Brian Ferentz. BRIAN DID NOT HELP THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM WITH HIS OC POSITION AND HIS LACK OF PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR - ADIOS AND NOT AMIGO
Dude, I can tell you there are other coaches there that do not exhibit professional behavior and for some reason it has been accepted in many sports. Imagine yelling like many do with the verbiage they us in your own workplace. Be out the door in 5 seconds, no doubts.

Well, do you think Kirk Ferentz would be a better OC than a head coach?

I don't.
I don't. But not sure where you're going w/this. So because Brian was a terrible coordinator he would be better as a head coach? Does that make sense to you? In what world would that qualify him to then oversee a whole program?

Just going by what I’ve seen on the sideline, I could imagine Brian Ferentz’s reaction to learning he wouldn’t be retained killing any chance he might have had to continue on staff in another position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT