ADVERTISEMENT

It’s kind of a shame that Brian back to OL coach is not an option

RagnarLothbrok

HR All-American
Apr 4, 2023
Maybe I’m wrong or misremembering, but I’ve always felt our OL decline started with Polasek and continued on with Barnett. (I never bought into the Chris Doyle theory.)

I just wish the Brian debacle wasn’t so binary in terms of options. Other than having to swallow pride, why couldn’t Brian take over for Barnett? If this is a stupid question, pardon me—but is there some legal or contractual barrier that would not allow Brian to take on a different role?

Obviously, I’m not a fan of Brian’s for a lot of reasons, but all the Paul Chryst chatter (legit or not) got me thinking about possible scenarios. Paul Chryst as OC/QB coach and Brian back to OL would seem, in theory, to fix a lot of problems with the Iowa offense. Yeah, I know, I hate Brian yada yada, but I do not have a lot of faith in Barnett or someone new Kirk would bring in.

Just thinking out loud. Roast away!

The only issue I see with this is it still leaves the OC open. So because there are limits on the # of staff, Kirk would have to hire from within or fire another staff member to open up a spot for the OC. Imagine the uproar if Kirk fired LeVar just to keep Brian on staff as the OL coach.

Thanks for sharing this.

KF could hire BF has his own personal assistant at $850K/yr.

What makes people think that BF/KF didn't approve every OL recruit/target we have on the roster? Both claim to fame is position coach on OL and to think they have not been heavily involved in offering schollies seems far fetched.

The issues with OL have been recruiting too many busts--mainly at OT. Our two guards just got 3rd team B1G. and OL wasn't good. Linderbaum was best center in colleged football and OL wasn't good. . WE haven't had a good OT since Wirfs left.

It was best that BF get separated from KF and some type of succession plan to post KF needs to begin to formulate in the next few years. BF was a distraction to KF and time for BF to become his own self made man.

The only issue I see with this is it still leaves the OC open. So because there are limits on the # of staff, Kirk would have to hire from within or fire another staff member to open up a spot for the OC. Imagine the uproar if Kirk fired LeVar just to keep Brian on staff as the OL coach.

Thanks for sharing this.
Why wouldn't Kirk fire the coach Brian is replacing?

As we all know Kirk dropped the ball. At the end of last year he could have fired Barnett and brought in a competent oc and moved Brian back to ol coach. He could have even given Brian a title like run game coordinator to save face. This is what I was saying to do last year and I still feel that was the right move and no one would have thought much of it. But they obviously went a different direction that did not work.

Maybe I’m wrong or misremembering, but I’ve always felt our OL decline started with Polasek and continued on with Barnett. (I never bought into the Chris Doyle theory.)

I just wish the Brian debacle wasn’t so binary in terms of options. Other than having to swallow pride, why couldn’t Brian take over for Barnett? If this is a stupid question, pardon me—but is there some legal or contractual barrier that would not allow Brian to take on a different role?

Obviously, I’m not a fan of Brian’s for a lot of reasons, but all the Paul Chryst chatter (legit or not) got me thinking about possible scenarios. Paul Chryst as OC/QB coach and Brian back to OL would seem, in theory, to fix a lot of problems with the Iowa offense. Yeah, I know, I hate Brian yada yada, but I do not have a lot of faith in Barnett or someone new Kirk would bring in.

Maybe Kirk would have moved Brian back to Oline coach end of the season. Maybe not.
Beth was pressured into the situation by hire ups and the damage/move is done.
Time to move on about what ifs.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Because a staff is only allowed to have 10 assistants.

So if Brian goes back to OL coach; that still leaves 10 assistants. So who becomes the OC?
Brian is taking Barnett's job in this scenario.

So a new OC (+1)
Brian to OL (no change)
Barnett is gone (-1)

And that puts us over the limit?

Brian was the offensive coordinator. Under his direction, the offense failed miserably including the offensive line. Brian has had plenty of time to right the ship. If Brian was a good offensive line coach he could have taken over the responsibilities like he did as the QB coach. He either failed to identify staff that would create a successful offensive line or he failed in his position to coach up the offensive line. As a result, I respectfully and strongly disagree with the premise of this thread. It is my hope that the new OC is able to hire a new OL coach so that they can work together to create a dominant offensive line.

I agree that if BF had remained at OL coach the entire time, the OL would be better, as well as the entire offense, as we would’ve had a more competent OC the past 7 years. As far as him returning to that role, that ship has sailed. Best thing for both BF and Iowa is for him to walk away and not look back.

What makes people think that BF/KF didn't approve every OL recruit/target we have on the roster? Both claim to fame is position coach on OL and to think they have not been heavily involved in offering schollies seems far fetched.

The issues with OL have been recruiting too many busts--mainly at OT. Our two guards just got 3rd team B1G. and OL wasn't good. Linderbaum was best center in colleged football and OL wasn't good. . WE haven't had a good OT since Wirfs left.

It was best that BF get separated from KF and some type of succession plan to post KF needs to begin to formulate in the next few years. BF was a distraction to KF and time for BF to become his own self made man.
Seems we're aren't getting the stars aligned. When Whirfs & Linderbaum were here, the run game was underwhelming, but they did pass protect well & help to 31 & 29 ppg in 2018 & 2019.

No way Brian had any say in the OL since being named OC. He has been too busy recruiting and grooming QBs. The results speak for themselves.

Reactions: littlez

Good take Ragnar. I thought before going into this past year the best scenario would have been moving Brian to the OL but also making him the co-offensive coordinator/run-game coordinator then bring in the real OC that would the co-offensive coordinator/passing game coordinator. Pay the new OC really well, they could keep BF's salary the same or whatever, but in this scenario everyone wins. Most people tend to think that BF would make a better head coach than an OC so when KF decides to step down it would have been a natural move for BF to be the next HC. All with the caveat that everything keeps running smoothly and the team keeps winning. I would have thought that this was brought up, so who knows if KF or Barta didn't want to do that, but it started with Barta's contract. I have been very vocal about Beth not having to do what she did in the middle of the season, but, I don't blame her for this.

I think the nepotism thing made it to where the relationship between KF, BF and the university had to end. KF wasnt going to do it so they made the power that be completely severe it. Had he done it last year then it would have worked. Also, I think the AD may feel that BF would step on the toes of the new OC.

Agree 100%

• Wow

I am not going to roast you because I have said much the same thing. The run game improved with Brian as Oline coach and run game coordinator and it continued to do a good job with very good Oline's and running backs.

Kirk missed his chance at the end of 2021 when the offense dropped in rankings into the 120's range to demote Brian which means dismissing Barnett and then getting an experienced, proven OC. Can anyone on this board or any hawk football fan think that Kirk thought the Oline and the offense was working well in 2021-2023. the answer is NO, but Kirk wasnt doing anything to fix it.

So Kirk had his chance in this to keep Brian on staff. Brian would have had 3 years of OC experience to maybe take another OC job at another program. Prove himself and then get a head coaching job if that is his goal.

Thanks for sharing this.
Kirk would fire Barnett to hire brian as OL coach, simple as that

As we all know Kirk dropped the ball. At the end of last year he could have fired Barnett and brought in a competent oc and moved Brian back to ol coach. He could have even given Brian a title like run game coordinator to save face. This is what I was saying to do last year and I still feel that was the right move and no one would have thought much of it. But they obviously went a different direction that did not work.
Yep. This was the best way forward for Brian, the program and the University. Instead they decided to run it back without any changes and Beth had to make the hard choice.

This could have been an entirely different outcome, and that’s on the Head Hawk.

Reactions: nelly02
Clearly BF and KF pinned hopes on Proctor taking over at left tackle, Richmond flipping to right tackle and dunker moving to guard.
That line might have had a chance with a healthy Cade at QB making smart quick decisions.

It was clearly a fragile plan that fell apart when NIL became a huge factor with kp and Cade went down.

The recruiting game changed in mid-stream and Iowa was not ready or lacked the resources.
Tackles are the problem combined with immobile QB.

• Love
Reactions: LukaDuka

Kirk had the opportunity to fix this by making that move. He missed his opportunity. But why would any new OC want Brian around putting in his 2 cents? By the way when someone asks a penny for your thoughts and you give your 2 cents worth. Someones coming out ahead.

• Love
Clearly BF and KF pinned hopes on Proctor taking over at left tackle, Richmond flipping to right tackle and dunker moving to guard.
That line might have had a chance with a healthy Cade at QB making smart quick decisions.

It was clearly a fragile plan that fell apart when NIL became a huge factor with kp and Cade went down.

The recruiting game changed in mid-stream and Iowa was not ready or lacked the resources.
Tackles are the problem combined with immobile QB.
I kinda wish Cade would move on. I doubt he'll ever be healthy and regain his play at Michigan.

I really think that may have been Kirk's plan. Name Brian Assoc head coach and OL/TE coach while bringing in a new OC. Honestly, I think it would have been a great move. BF has proven himself to be a quality OL and TE coach.

Again, if Brian would have put up 30 plus on Michigan in the title game we should have absolutely brought him back…. as an unpaid graduate assistant to the offense. That didn’t happen, so don’t have to worry about it.

I really think that may have been Kirk's plan. Name Brian Assoc head coach and OL/TE coach while bringing in a new OC. Honestly, I think it would have been a great move. BF has proven himself to be a quality OL and TE coach.
I love KF. Mostly. But he had plenty of time to communicate this to BG if that was his intention. All would have been fine. Instead his intransigence took over and dogged inflexibility killed that possibility. Which I doubt existed. Unfortunate to lose BF and his position coaching skills.

Theres a lot of reason here but it's 100% pride why he wouldn't take the OL spot.

He was a good OL coach and lets face it he is 100% a failure as OC. If he did take a demotion maybe the media would snicker less than this year but can you imagine the 1st game our OL gets manhandled if he did? Ooooo boy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT