ADVERTISEMENT

Why Are Republicans Across the Country So Invested In Rolling Back Child Labor Protection Laws?

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
And why is it such a thing over the last couple years? Who is behind the push? Things like this don't just accidentally pop-up in multiple states in such a short timeframe. Who is behind this?

It’s been difficult to keep up with the number of Republican efforts in recent years to roll back child labor laws. The Guardian reportedin the fall that GOP policymakers at the state level “have led efforts to roll back child labor protections, with bills introduced in at least 16 states.”

To be sure, not all of the measures are identical. In some states, Republicans want to scrap age verification requirements for employers. In other states, they want minors to be able to serve alcohol. A Washington Post report last year noted some state GOP officials also eyed proposals to allow kids as young as 14 to “work certain jobs in meatpacking plants and shield businesses from civil liability if a child laborer is sickened.”

Evidently, related efforts are underway again this year, and this NoLa.com report out of Louisiana stood out as especially striking.

A Louisiana House committee voted Thursday to repeal a law requiring employers to give child workers lunch breaks and to cut unemployment benefits — part of a push by Republicans to remove constraints on employers and reduce aid for injured and unemployed workers.
Evidently, now that Republicans control all of the levers of power in Louisiana again — former Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards stepped down after two terms earlier this year — Republican Gov. Jeff Landry directed officials to “reform” the state’s business environment.

Some GOP officials are taking that directive quite seriously — to the point that they’re advancing a plan to scrap requirements for lunch breaks for child workers.

• Angry
Reactions: nelly02 and h-hawk
Come on, you've seen the skyrocketing employee wages business owners have been having to pay new workers?

It's the same reason Republicans blocked the Lankford/Biden Detain and Deport bill to reduce illegal immigration and prevent them from abusing asylum laws: Corporate Republican billionaires and business owners need more cheap, low wage, easily exploited workers to drive up profits.

And why is it such a thing over the last couple years? Who is behind the push? Things like this don't just accidentally pop-up in multiple states in such a short timeframe. Who is behind this?

It’s been difficult to keep up with the number of Republican efforts in recent years to roll back child labor laws. The Guardian reportedin the fall that GOP policymakers at the state level “have led efforts to roll back child labor protections, with bills introduced in at least 16 states.”

To be sure, not all of the measures are identical. In some states, Republicans want to scrap age verification requirements for employers. In other states, they want minors to be able to serve alcohol. A Washington Post report last year noted some state GOP officials also eyed proposals to allow kids as young as 14 to “work certain jobs in meatpacking plants and shield businesses from civil liability if a child laborer is sickened.”

Evidently, related efforts are underway again this year, and this NoLa.com report out of Louisiana stood out as especially striking.

Evidently, now that Republicans control all of the levers of power in Louisiana again — former Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards stepped down after two terms earlier this year — Republican Gov. Jeff Landry directed officials to “reform” the state’s business environment.

Some GOP officials are taking that directive quite seriously — to the point that they’re advancing a plan to scrap requirements for lunch breaks for child workers.
Because they dream of getting invited to a picnic on the Tyson Estate to talk campaign funding.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Rs are owned by big business. Ever since the pandemic pushed millions of boomers into retirement big business has been struggling to fill in the gaps. So let the kiddos do it. It's probably why they started banning abortions, too. Bigger workforce of expendable kids to use.

we need cheap labor

and for republicans, having children working in meatpacking plants is less politically damaging than enabling immigration

We aren't,.. it's not a thing.

In the past two years, at least 10 states have introduced or passed laws rolling back child labor protectionsState child labor legislation activity, 2021–2023​

BillBill details Status Year Industry supporters
Arkansas
HB 1410 Eliminates age verification and parent/guardian permission requirements Enacted 2023
Iowa
SF 167 Lifts restrictions on hazardous work; lowers age for alcohol service; extends work hours; grants employer immunity from civil liability for workplace injuries, illness, death Introduced 2023 Americans for Prosperity; Home Builders Association of Iowa; Iowa National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB); Iowa Farm Equipment Dealers Association; Iowa Association of Business and Industry (ABI); Iowa Hotel and Lodging Association; Iowa Restaurant Association
HF 2198 Lowers minimum age of child care workers; increased staff-to-child ratios Enacted 2022 Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce
Minnesota
SF 375 Lifts restrictions on hazardous work Introduced 2023 BATC–Housing First Minnesota lobbied to allow 16- and 17-year-olds to work in construction in 2019
SF 1102 Extends work hours Introduced 2023
Missouri
SB 175Eliminates work certificate requirement for 16–17-year-oldsIntroduced2023Opportunity Solutions Project (Foundation for Government Accountability)
Nebraska
LB 15 Subminimum wage for youth Introduced 2023 Nebraska Chamber of Commerce and Industry; Nebraska Grocery Industry Association
New Hampshire
SB 345 Lowers age to bus tables where alcohol is served; extends work hours Enacted 2022 New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association; New Hampshire Liquor Commission
New Jersey
A4222 Extends work hours; increases time before break Enacted 2022 New Jersey Chamber of Commerce; New Jersey Business and Industry Association
Ohio
SB 30Extends work hours Passed in the Senate2023 Americans for Prosperity; Pickerington Area Chamber of Commerce; Ohio NFIB; Ohio Restaurant Association
South Dakota
HB 1180Extends work hoursIntroduced; withdrawn2023
Wisconsin
SB 332 Extends work hours Passed in the House and Senate; vetoed by the governor 2021–2022 Wisconsin Grocers Association; Wisconsin Independent Businesses, Inc.; Wisconsin NFIB; Association of Wisconsin Tourism Attractions; Wisconsin Hotel and Lodging Association

• Wow
Reactions: TheCainer
I’m curious. Do any of you that are opposed to child labor not want a kid to work at all until they are out of high school?

I had a bunch of physical labor jobs as a kid. I didn’t work a lot while I was in school because I was in sports. But during the summers I worked on a farm roughly 30-40 hours a week along with odd jobs thrown in there. While I was in school and sports I usually worked every Saturday and Sunday unless I had something going on and needed it off. I started working there before I could drive and I would usually get a ride from someone else that worked there. When I did have a license, I was up before I was allowed to be out driving (had to carry a parent signed paper around with me).
I didn’t think anything of working at such a young age and enjoyed having some money.

I’m also curious if all of you against child labor have any kids involved in sports right now? Do you want to ban kids being in sports until 10 at night on a school night or is that perfectly fine?

I’m curious. Do any of you that are opposed to child labor not want a kid to work at all until they are out of high school?

I had a bunch of physical labor jobs as a kid. I didn’t work a lot while I was in school because I was in sports. But during the summers I worked on a farm roughly 30-40 hours a week along with odd jobs thrown in there. While I was in school and sports I usually worked every Saturday and Sunday unless I had something going on and needed it off. I started working there before I could drive and I would usually get a ride from someone else that worked there. When I did have a license, I was up before I was allowed to be out driving (had to carry a parent signed paper around with me).
I didn’t think anything of working at such a young age and enjoyed having some money.

I’m also curious if all of you against child labor have any kids involved in sports right now? Do you want to ban kids being in sports until 10 at night on a school night or is that perfectly fine?
Do you think all employers will treat children appropriate like making sure they have water, cooling off, etc breaks without being required? Should we also drop all requirements for how school football practices are conducted? How long? Temps? Water breaks?

They're pushing to allow 16 year olds to work on construction sites. That's insane.

They're pushing to allow 16 year olds to work on construction sites. That's insane.
Why do you think that’s insane? A person can drive to school already at the age of 15. They can know at that age that they need to have a sex change. They can go hunting and shoot a gun.
But it’s insane that they go on a roof or use a hammer.
If you read my post, I worked on a farm already when I was 14 and never once felt like I was a victim of child labor or need someone to remind me to drink some water when I was out in the middle of a field picking rock in the blazing heat.
How much do we need to coddle our youth?

Why do you think that’s insane? A person can drive to school already at the age of 15. They can know at that age that they need to have a sex change. They can go hunting and shoot a gun.
But it’s insane that they go on a roof or use a hammer.
If you read my post, I worked on a farm already when I was 14 and never once felt like I was a victim of child labor or need someone to remind me to drink some water when I was out in the middle of a field picking rock in the blazing heat.
How much do we need to coddle our youth?
I would absolutely not feel comfortable having a 16 year old on my roof with a hammer. That seems tailor made for bad things to happen. Construction sites, kill floors at meat packing plants, kids serving alcohol. None of these are good ideas.

We need to protect the kids from TikTok by getting them on the meat processing plant floor.
I would bet you my left nut that more people die as a result of social media then They do working in a meat processing plant.

I would bet you my left nut that more people die as a result of social media then They do working in a meat processing plant.

This would be a numbers game. If you are saying raw numbers the social media deaths will win hands down but we are also comparing hundreds of millions of the people in the US to about 500k. Any meat packing death would skyrocket the percentage in comparison to social media related deaths.

Reactions: BelemNole
Suit yourself if you don't want to answer my question.
You skip over my question, then asked me a question and I followed your question up with a question yet you call me out for not answering your question.

Edit: after going back and reading some things again, you skipped over a bunch of my questions.

Last edited:
This would be a numbers game. If you are saying raw numbers the social media deaths will win hands down but we are also comparing hundreds of millions of the people in the US to about 500k. Any meat packing death would skyrocket the percentage in comparison to social media related deaths.
I see you guys have zero faith in 16 year olds having any common sense.
With your logic, we should be seeing that a kid died on a farm everyday yet it’s pretty rare.

Do you think all employers will treat children appropriate like making sure they have water, cooling off, etc breaks without being required? Should we also drop all requirements for how school football practices are conducted? How long? Temps? Water breaks?
Do you hold their hand all day making sure they have water, aren’t getting too hot, taking a break when they are emotionally stressed.
I’m confused, why are we dropping requirements we have put in place for football practices if we start allowing 16 year olds to work?

The GOP wants the Teddy Roosevelt labor reforms and FDRs New Deal dismantled. Back to the 19th century.

Do you hold their hand all day making sure they have water, aren’t getting too hot, taking a break when they are emotionally stressed.
I’m confused, why are we dropping requirements we have put in place for football practices if we start allowing 16 year olds to work?
For a long time high school football players weren't getting enough to drink during practice. Not drinking was seen as a toughening agent. We now know that this belief was wrong and dangerous. It's up to us adults to look out for kids health. God knows they won't.

For a long time high school football players weren't getting enough to drink during practice. Not drinking was seen as a toughening agent. We now know that this belief was wrong and dangerous. It's up to us adults to look out for kids health. God knows they won't.
You’re right. Kids didn’t get a water break so now we better not allow them to work.

It's not.

My first job was cleaning up roofing materials at 15.
Plus he won’t say why it’s insane. He just wouldn’t feel comfortable if a 16 year old was on his roof with a hammer.
He als has no problem with a 15 year old driving while he or she most likely has a phone in hand.
Also no problem with a 16 year old knowing they need transgender surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT