ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Getting in on the Child Slave Labor Action

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Of course, its all about the children lol... The want an uneducated populace... Of course they don't care about these children... the ones that would end up working overnight are the kids from poor families.

Florida GOP Advances Bill To Loosen Child Labor Laws​

December 13, 2023 Politics, Republicans

Florida Politics reports:
A bill that would remove all work hour restrictions on 16- and 17-year-olds — including the prohibition on overnight shifts on school nights — received lawmakers’ approval at its first committee stop over Democrats’ objections. Rep. Linda Chaney’s bill (HB 49) went before the House Regulatory Reform & Economic Development Subcommittee. It proposes to roll back decades of state restrictions on child labor.

Of course, its all about the children lol... The want an uneducated populace... Of course they don't care about these children... the ones that would end up working overnight are the kids from poor families.

You're a pussy....

Reactions: Scruddy and goldmom
"Slave labor"?

You mean to tell me these youth workers are being forced to work for no pay?
And they’re gonna “cane em” back In the storeroom too. 🙄
I love the OP’s obsession with sitting in Jawja of all places and trashing Florida.
Used to have the old saying “the problem with Atlanta is that it’s surrounded by Georgia”.
It’s funny now to see how that’s flipped. You stay in your little Buckhead/Morningside bubble, hon.

The only way to concentrate more and more wealth is to have a much larger number of poor.
This post perfectly encapsulates the zero sum prism that some people view the economy through.

Before it can be earned or expropriated or distributed, wealth must be created.

Wealth as a concept is unlimited. The potential for turning existing property into more valuable property is not fixed.

Reactions: goldmom
This post perfectly encapsulates the zero sum prism that some people view the economy through.

Before it can be earned or expropriated or distributed, wealth must be created.

Wealth as a concept is unlimited. The potential for turning existing property into more valuable property is not fixed.
Nice "in theory" response.... The free market is impossible too. People in charge of money will sell you that all day long.

Nice "in theory" response.... The free market is impossible too. People in charge of money will sell you that all day long.
If the pie of wealth is fixed, who was hiding all the trillions in wealth Americans enjoy now when only Native Americans roamed the plains?

The reality is we created it. The potential was always here, we made it a reality.

If the pie of wealth is fixed, who was hiding all the trillions in wealth Americans enjoy now when only Native Americans roamed the plains?

The reality is we created it. The potential was always here, we made it a reality.
Some won’t ever get that. It wasn’t covered in the Social Justice Studies Department.

The notion of scarcity as a concept is Western. Native Americans didnt think of it the same way. Only our materialistic bankrupt "culture" does.

All kidding aside.

Back in my day :) it was pretty common for kids as young as 12 to at least be making money off a paper route, mowing grass, shoveling snow etc. Seems to be extremely rare nowadays.

I did all of that too. When it would snow a few of my friends and I would go door to door and see if they wanted us to shovel for money.

Next thing you know we are gonna start to allow children to decide what sex they are and allow them to prevent their own puberty from happening! Could you imagine such crazy shit?
Denying affirmative care causes more problems than it fixes. If it's about the well being of children, they should both be protected against exploitive work and be able to receive healthcare.

The notion of scarcity as a concept is Western. Native Americans didnt think of it the same way. Only our materialistic bankrupt "culture" does.
Scarcity as an economic concept is universal, whether it’s universally understood or not.

The law of supply and demand is operative in Siam and Timbuktu.

Reactions: goldmom
Denying affirmative care causes more problems than it fixes. If it's about the well being of children, they should both be protected against exploitive work and be able to receive healthcare.
Yeah. Because we know no crazy goddamned parents are out there exploiting their children.

So you are in favor of kids working the night shift?
I'm in favor of not calling shit "slave labor" that isn't slave labor. I worked an overnight shift the summer I was 16 at Ramada in setting up the banquet rooms. I was paid for it. It was a great job and it wasn't slave labor. I bet they are calling a Wednesday in July "a school night" as well. Another lie.

I'm in favor of not calling shit "slave labor" that isn't slave labor. I worked an overnight shift the summer I was 16 at Ramada in setting up the banquet rooms. I was paid for it. It was a great job and it wasn't slave labor. I bet they are calling a Wednesday in July "a school night" as well. Another lie.
This isn't summers. It's on school nights. Read the OP.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

bet she has no kids, or if she does this does, this NOT apply to them.

who said the pie is fixed? no one,,,ever. nice straw man.

It's not slave labor. I agree. But loosening these protections will only screw over kids. Surely you can agree.
I don't think it's the greatest thing in the world but I don't think it's the worst. There are plenty of teenagers who would be much better off working than finishing another year of school that they don't want to attend or are getting anything out of. Why are we letting kids drop out at the age of 16 then? I'd say it's much better those kids are working than not working.

I don't think it's the greatest thing in the world but I don't think it's the worst. There are plenty of teenagers who would be much better off working than finishing another year of school that they don't want to attend or are getting anything out of. Why are we letting kids drop out at the age of 16 then? I'd say it's much better those kids are working than not working.
I'd imagine that this would increase dropout rates. I can't imagine pulling nights shifts and going to school the next day would be beneficial.

who said the pie is fixed? no one,,,ever. nice straw man.
You wrote: “The only way to concentrate more and more wealth is to have a much larger number of poor.”

If you didn’t mean that the concentration of wealth requires taking it from others (as opposed to creating more wealth), why do you think it requires a larger number of poor people?

What makes them poor; and what makes more of them?

A zero sum appreciation of wealth is one answer, but you’re rejecting that, so tell me why you think concentrating wealth requires the impoverishment of anyone.

If the % of wealth to a small segment of the population outpaces new wealth then that's what you have. How do you explain the wealth gap from 1980 to today?
I believe most people work hard for what they get but when policy is written for and at the behest of certain individuals you have a system that is different than what you say it is.
More poor: we don't have trickle down economics we have trickle up. You need more people buying the goods and services than people producing them. why do you think elon musk is most worried about lack of population growth? In what world does having more people on our planet help us?

There seems to be plenty of kids out at night committing crimes and running the streets. But working? Ohh nozzz…

So, let me get this straight, there are people on here upset that they are passing this law?

I'd didn't get one thing from this that says they have to do it or even required too. I wouldn't let my kids work overnight anytime at that age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT