ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Republicans having so much trouble with the Iraq question?

Kinnick.crusader has almost half as many likes as he has posts! Interesting!
We'll figure out what his previous screen names were before long. Guys who feel obligated to change their identity regularly usually have a style that identifies them.

See, it's not hard is it. We agree Bush made a horrible decision, probably one of the worst ones ever by a U.S. President in my opinion. But now it's Obamas fault right?

For the CURRENT situation that could have been avoided during Obama's tenure? Yes...entirely his fault. He was warned about pulling troops out too quickly or early, and not leaving a residual force to help train and strengthen responses by the Iraqi Military.
Yes..that is his fault.

Tell me this.......you take over a position from a guy that made incredible mistakes. You're told what you should do to avoid things sliding back into the same situation, or taking steps that create new ones. You do it any way, and things start sliding back to the point of when before you took over.

Who's to blame? Are you going to look at your boss and say "Well the guy before me created this mess....." Sorry....the ball is in your court, you were tasked to make things better, and in turn you've made things potentially worse, not only that....your actions created an entirely new problem that now has to be dealt with.
That's entirely on YOU. Stop blaming the other guy when you've had 7 years to make it better.

I think the Korean War was a mistake too.

But, I am glad we kept our position there. If you make the decision to go to War then you follow through and see that it is done.

I think the Korean War was a mistake too.

But, I am glad we kept our position there. If you make the decision to go to War then you follow through and see that it is done.

Well, Korea is not "done" by any official measure. We certainly cut and ran before Vietnam, Gulf War I, or the current Middle East quagmire were seen through to satisfying conclusions.

You look pretty stupid trying to make that point, but whatever lies you need to tell yourself so that you can sleep peacefully at night, by all means keep mumbling them while rocking back and forth.

Well, this thread went to some interesting places.
I do like how people on the right of the discussion are perfectly okay in blaming the shoddy answers on potential president's not being able to understand a simple question, or unable to deal with an overly push Chris Wallace. If Obama can't handle Vladmir Putin or ISIS, I shudder to think how we'll fare with a leader who can't brush Chris Wallace aside.

What the hell difference does it make if Rubio was in Congress or not at the time? He's running for President NOW! It's a very simple question...knowing what we know now, was it a good idea or a bad idea? You either support the original decision and the results or you don't. I'll try it with you...knowing what you know NOW, was it a good decision or a bad one?

One small problem...Almost none of the questions start with "Knowing what we know now." This is purely a gotcha question and an attempt by the press to re-litegate the Iraq war. What's the point in asking every candidate (most of whom didn't have a vote for it) about this? Should we ask more questions about what they would have done when Clinton was in office? It's pointless.

Reactions: Hawk in SEC Country
I'm not running for office. So my opinion on it doesn't matter. But I'll play.

Afghanistan was the right idea, Iraq was not. However, Obama has done a brilliant job of setting us up to where we may have no choice but to go back in. But he will bauk at deploying any more assets than he has as of now. That way he can skirt any blame when his successor has no choice but to commit more military resources.
You realize he has repeatedly asked congress to authorize force. Ernst is more to blame on this one.

Well, this thread went to some interesting places.
I do like how people on the right of the discussion are perfectly okay in blaming the shoddy answers on potential president's not being able to understand a simple question, or unable to deal with an overly push Chris Wallace. If Obama can't handle Vladmir Putin or ISIS, I shudder to think how we'll fare with a leader who can't brush Chris Wallace aside.
Have you been following the discussion?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT