ADVERTISEMENT

Why is a 15 year old …

Before the age of 15, I walked beans with a sharp AF blade, de-tasseled corn and roofed houses.

This appears to be an unfortunate accident and I don’t think the penalty is enough.

I’m willing to bet that many roofing contractors use child labor, many of which are undocumented.

Why is it unconscionable for a 15 year old to be doing roofing?

I started driving a tractor, discing fields, before I was 10, and picked butterbeans well before that.

I wonder what the hardest job some people have ever done.

It really depends on the nature of the job and if the kid can handle it. Obviously kids can't be placed in danger.

May depend on the state bureaucracy, but Will be interesting to see if other agencies pile on. This article indicates it was specific to wage and hours division, but doesn’t mention OSHA citation or penalty.

When I was 14, my brother (16 y/o), our best friend (15 y/o), and I re-shingled our house and our buddy's house over the summer. I'm fairly certain our parents' had two motives:

1. Get the roofs re-shingled for cheap, and
2. Get our dumb asses up on the roof in Florida in the middle of summer - where it was approximately 7500 degrees Fahrenheit - to motivate us to work hard in school so we wouldn't ever have to do manual labor like that again.

It worked on all counts.

Moving the goalpost. Now it's about height.

Clear it up for us. Would roofing a single story building be OK for a 15 year old?

Yeah, 50 feet is a whole lot different than one story. You disagree with that?

I would be fine with a 15 year old on a one story.

You all were put on a roof 50 feet high as a 15 year old? I call bull shit.

50 feet? Probably not. 30 feet at least at the peak? You bet. And from that distance it’s probably curtains anyway.

Now you want to talk about the stuff we did on the top of grain bins, we’re talking 50 feet easy.

Lol at folks just telling us how dangerous their jobs were when they were kids

grumpy-dana-carvey.gif

When I was 15 I had a summer job working for a tree surgery business owned by my friend's dad. I was making $2 an hour and was happy to get it.

One day they sent me up on the roof of the shop to spread tar all over the galvanized metal roof with a mop. Completely ruined my shoes and jeans, so I lost money that day.

CSB

This is less about age than it is about fall protection,.. I also did roofing as a teenager.
Agreed. ^^ And training, or lack thereof. If this was their first day on the job and they were sent to a project with a 50' roof, I sense they probably did not have sufficient training for such a worksite.

FWIW, as a contractor, I cannot employ anyone under 18 years of age, unless they are sons/daughters, then I think it is 15. But there is no way that I would send anyone on such a job so early in their tenure. Ugh.

$117k is all? Good grief, shut that company down. WOW!! And how could any parent think for even one second that this is a job their 15 year old should be doing.
That appears to be just the civil penalty for their infraction...I suspect there could be lawsuit on top of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT