ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Iowa women's team mostly white, and men's too? And it is not a racist thing!

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I have been talking with a lot of friends since the end of the LSU game stalking incident etc. And also reading national media and other peoples thoughts like on this forum. First off I dont look at teams like LSU as being filled with a bunch of black ladies that can be called by crude names. I dont know any of them so I wouldnt call them names.

But, the hawk football and both bball teams have I think a tough time recruiting a large number of black players, especially highly rated ones, because Iowa does not play for a lot of titles/championships. The NFL and the NBA are leagues that have 2/3s or so of their players being african-american. Iowa doesnt have that large of a black population, Iowa City and Ames do not. Top black players around the country are going to go to the programs they think have chances to win a title so they can be noticed.

Southern teams and west coach teams have a demographic and a Title success rate, and even a chance to play for a title, way more than Iowa.

I used to watch CVStringers teams but I cant remember exact ratios of ethnicities but I think she had more black players because she was black. The players probably felt more comfortable with her. Someone correct me but isnt UConn's womens' team mostly white throughout the years? Not sure.

Iowa is not alone, ISU, Creighton, Stanford and others.
Oh yes, I know. I have always heard and thought that because athletes in south can practice more year around, especially football wide outs and QBs, that is where most of the top athletes are out of high school. And a lot of those players do not want to go up to the cold weather.

They go to the southern schools and those schools win and winning begets better recruits.

I think Iowa could get more good athletes in the portal who just want to play

Oh yes, I know. I have always heard and thought that because athletes in south can practice more year around, especially football wide outs and QBs, that is where most of the top athletes are out of high school. And a lot of those players do not want to go up to the cold weather.

They go to the southern schools and those schools win and winning begets better recruits.

I have no idea what being is the south and can practice year around has anything to do with the make up of whites or blacks on teams.

I have been talking with a lot of friends since the end of the LSU game stalking incident etc. And also reading national media and other peoples thoughts like on this forum. First off I dont look at teams like LSU as being filled with a bunch of black ladies that can be called by crude names. I dont know any of them so I wouldnt call them names.

But, the hawk football and both bball teams have I think a tough time recruiting a large number of black players, especially highly rated ones, because Iowa does not play for a lot of titles/championships. The NFL and the NBA are leagues that have 2/3s or so of their players being african-american. Iowa doesnt have that large of a black population, Iowa City and Ames do not. Top black players around the country are going to go to the programs they think have chances to win a title so they can be noticed.

Southern teams and west coach teams have a demographic and a Title success rate, and even a chance to play for a title, way more than Iowa.

I used to watch CVStringers teams but I cant remember exact ratios of ethnicities but I think she had more black players because she was black. The players probably felt more comfortable with her. Someone correct me but isnt UConn's womens' team mostly white throughout the years? Not sure.
In an area where the population is mostly white.

Pull up a xhairI have been talking with a lot of friends since the end of the LSU game stalking incident etc. And also reading national media and other peoples thoughts like on this forum. First off I dont look at teams like LSU as being filled with a bunch of black ladies that can be called by crude names. I dont know any of them so I wouldnt call them names.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dis Gon B Good GIF

Let's face it, the Iowa coaches really value character and how players will fit in with the culture of their programs. That eliminates many recruits that carry background baggage. if they have been arrested, have poor study habits, or family issues, the Hawkeyes coaches are going to take a HARD pass on them. I think most Hawkeyes fans appreciate the type of individuals the coaches recruit in all their sports. They don't sell their soul to the devil for a few more wins.
LSU had a couple very good players, but there's no way they would have ever been allowed to put on an Iowa uniform for Lisa Bluder!! 👏👏👏

Why is the LSU team mostly black ? The women’s and the men’s teams too ?

OP is trolling

Last edited:

Lute Olson left Iowa partially because he hated Iowa winters. Who could blame him. I hate winter. One of these days I'm moving somewhere warm. I don't know how we get Florida kids.

Reactions: uihawk82
I have no idea what being is the south and can practice year around has anything to do with the make up of whites or blacks on
Lute Olson left Iowa partially because he hated Iowa winters. Who could blame him. I hate winter. One of these days I'm moving somewhere warm. I don't know how we get Florida kids.

I would think a lot of wide receivers and QBs can practice together on the side much more in the warmer states. And we can get some players from down south who want the opportunity to play but they will probably not be the very highly rated recruits who go to the Bamas of the world

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Why is the LSU team mostly black ? The women’s and the men’s teams too ?

OP is trolling
Not trolling at all, The UofI has a long history of accepting black students and black athletes before other schools and areas, I would think some black student athletes might want to look at the UI business school and other programs along with an above avg football and bball programs

Not trolling at all, The UofI has a long history of accepting black students and black athletes before other schools and areas, I would think some black student athletes might want to look at the UI business school and other programs along with an above avg football and bball programs
So tell us why? You must have some opinions as to why?

To get you up to speed Hayden got the "Bubble" built in 1985 so the players could practice indoors year round in warm weather.

Last edited:
Not sure Iowa's demographics play into the starting 5 of a basketball team w/ 4 starters from out of state. I always thought Bluder's rosters have been mostly white.

I found it interesting we couldn't find a place for Tomi Taiwo who went to TCU, started every game, and scored 14ppg......

How many black players have started or played a significant role for a Bluder coached team?

I think it's hard to know the real answer if you've never been involved in recruiting, which I'm assuming none here have.

Your best success is going to be within 300 miles of campus. Iowa has a population of a little over 3 million and under 4% of that population is black.

If I were Fran or Lisa I would do my best to penetrate the biggest rural areas near IC: STL, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. Not an easy gig to bring in top young talent from the coasts to play in little ol Iowa City.

I appreciate what Fran has done at Iowa, he pulled us out of the dump, but I'd like to move in another direction, preferably a black coach that can bring in a better athlete.

Demographics plays a big part, it always has in recruiting. But recruiting is about relationships too. Two suitors looking for something in the other person and situation. If you are genuine you end up with people that are like you ( black or white )

Think of why people want to go other places not why they don’t want to go to Iowa. Or what does Iowa offer that is so much better than other schools?
You have three top flight basketball schools with a quick drive of each other in NC. You have other traditional powers or decent schools in certain cities . Like Temple, Villanova, or St. Joe’s in Philly. Maryland etc etc.
I think it’s more pro other places than anti Iowa and when you add in how many D1 programs vs D1 in football you can see there are a lot of choices and competition for the top level guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT