ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Iowa women's team mostly white, and men's too? And it is not a racist thing!

Let's face it, the Iowa coaches really value character and how players will fit in with the culture of their programs. That eliminates many recruits that carry background baggage. if they have been arrested, have poor study habits, or family issues, the Hawkeyes coaches are going to take a HARD pass on them. I think most Hawkeyes fans appreciate the type of individuals the coaches recruit in all their sports. They don't sell their soul to the devil for a few more wins.
LSU had a couple very good players, but there's no way they would have ever been allowed to put on an Iowa uniform for Lisa Bluder!! 👏👏👏
Agree with most of this, especially Bluder and Fran recruiting quality people, but be careful not to lump all of the LSU (Black) players into the same category as the couple who have shown themselves to be egocentric, racist, poor sports. Since this thread has a lot of racist undertones, I hope you aren't suggesting that Bluder has almost all white players because there are not Black players, who have good character, would be good teammates, and be successful academically.

• Haha
Reactions: dean_oliver222
George Raveling didn't seem to have a problem getting black players to come to Iowa.
Lute too. And Miller.

Iowa mens bball was higher on the totem pole then and through the first couple Davis seasons. We slipped and recruiting has too. Iowa used to get Parade and even McD AAs. Now we’re happy with top 75.

It seems Iowa used to have better luck in the Chicago....not Chicago Land/suburbia, the city, and they never did make much headway into St. Louis, I'm not sure why.

Agree with most of this, especially Bluder and Fran recruiting quality people, but be careful not to lump all of the LSU (Black) players into the same category as the couple who have shown themselves to be egocentric, racist, poor sports. Since this thread has a lot of racist undertones, I hope you aren't suggesting that Bluder has almost all white players because there are not Black players, who have good character, would be good teammates, and be successful academically.
Well, she turned down Joens, too, so it's not just confined to one race or the other.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I have been talking with a lot of friends since the end of the LSU game stalking incident etc. And also reading national media and other peoples thoughts like on this forum. First off I dont look at teams like LSU as being filled with a bunch of black ladies that can be called by crude names. I dont know any of them so I wouldnt call them names.

But, the hawk football and both bball teams have I think a tough time recruiting a large number of black players, especially highly rated ones, because Iowa does not play for a lot of titles/championships. The NFL and the NBA are leagues that have 2/3s or so of their players being african-american. Iowa doesnt have that large of a black population, Iowa City and Ames do not. Top black players around the country are going to go to the programs they think have chances to win a title so they can be noticed.

Southern teams and west coach teams have a demographic and a Title success rate, and even a chance to play for a title, way more than Iowa.

I used to watch CVStringers teams but I cant remember exact ratios of ethnicities but I think she had more black players because she was black. The players probably felt more comfortable with her. Someone correct me but isnt UConn's womens' team mostly white throughout the years? Not sure.
Geography

I have no idea what being is the south and can practice year around has anything to do with the make up of whites or blacks on teams.
Let me help you.

1024px-Black_Americans_by_county.png

Last edited:
SC fans said having 3 white officials was racist and tipped the game in favor of Iowa.

Did those same SC fans say having 3 black officials was racist and in favor of LSU? Of course not.

Hypocrites all.

People only see what they want to see.
The one thing you can count on is the left being inconsistent. When your are ruled by emotion, you can't stay consistent. Cherry picking right and wrong lol

You could say the same thing about Manhattan, KS and Ames, but the schools there don't seem to have trouble attracting black recruits.
Kansas has a long history as a Blue Blood and Self will do what it takes to get what he wants. Success in Lames is hard to understand, although Fran has had comparable success on the court.

Not sure Iowa's demographics play into the starting 5 of a basketball team w/ 4 starters from out of state. I always thought Bluder's rosters have been mostly white.

I found it interesting we couldn't find a place for Tomi Taiwo who went to TCU, started every game, and scored 14ppg......

How many black players have started or played a significant role for a Bluder coached team?
I'm not gonna dig through years of rosters just to prove a point, but how about Marshall and Stuelke?

Marshall played well down the stretch and in the tournaments, stepping up offensively and defensively. Stuelke played valuable minutes and had multiple games coming off the bench sparking runs and momentum with the rebounding and fast break points. She didn't get as much PT the last few games based on experience and youth.

In other words quit playing the identity card. Bluder would play ANYONE that makes the team better.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT