ADVERTISEMENT

Why Is It OK for Companies to Do Business with Russia?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Seems like every few weeks we hear about more sanctions. So I was a bit surprised to hear that Schlumberger was becoming a partner with a major Russian energy company. [As reported on Nightly Business Report.]

Why is that allowed?

Don't get me wrong, I am not on board with the frenzy about Russia (even though I'm a liberal). But they aren't our friends. And we are imposing sanctions. So why don't we crack down on this sort of corporate collusion with our enemy?

Seems like every few weeks we hear about more sanctions. So I was a bit surprised to hear that Schlumberger was becoming a partner with a major Russian energy company. [As reported on Nightly Business Report.]

Why is that allowed?

Don't get me wrong, I am not on board with the frenzy about Russia (even though I'm a liberal). But they aren't our friends. And we are imposing sanctions. So why don't we crack down on this sort of corporate collusion with our enemy?
We did before putin's bitch was elected.

Not even close. Rockefeller had banks in the former USSR. Ford owned the largest truck factory in the world at Kama River, which also made tanks that killed our boys in Vietnam.

We now trade in Vietnam. Sanctions are an act of war. Sanctions killed over 500K women and children in Iraq. Trade is good. Talks are good.

Ford owned the largest truck factory in the world at Kama River, which also made tanks that killed our boys in Vietnam.

Ford had factories supplying the Germans in WWII. Got to love the MIC, profiting off both sides in our wars.

They shouldn't. Russia is a cesspool of corruption. Putin builds oligarchs, and he crushes them. One of the reasons Russians look to real estate is they have to get their money out of Russia to protect it after they steal it. Any company doing business in Russia right now is playing with fire.

Reactions: naturalmwa

Why is that allowed?

Russia is not our enemy. Trade relationships help ensure that we will remain at peace with them.

They shouldn't. Russia is a cesspool of corruption. Putin builds oligarchs, and he crushes them. One of the reasons Russians look to real estate is they have to get their money out of Russia to protect it after they steal it. Any company doing business in Russia right now is playing with fire.
Stop with the American exceptionalist talk. You sound like Rick Sanetarium and Bill Kristol. Washington and every place that inhabits humans can be found guilty of corruption.

How many other countries are you willing to apply this same logic to? You idiots all have your panties in a bunch over Russia, when we've always been involved with countries far worse than Russia is now...

Reactions: Nat Algren
So glad our leaders are pristine cherubs.

Documentation of US Dept of Defense admitting ‘losing’ $6.5 trillion ($65,000 per average US family), with 18 year history of ‘losing’ trillions. Your .01% illegal rogue state government at ‘work’ until ‘We the People’ demand arrests for OBVIOUS crimes in war, looting, lying
Posted on July 19, 2017 by Carl Herman
Catherine Austin Fitts just published documentation of Department of Defense (DOD) official audit reports from 1998 that acknowledge “losing track” of $6.5 trillion, along with Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) admission of “losing” over $100 billion. This is euphemistically termed “unaccounted,” and literally means that DOD agrees they received these funds, agrees the funds are gone, and then claims to not have records of where the money went.

This is the work of Dr. Mark Skidmore and graduate students; Dr. Skidmore is the Director of the North Central Regional Center for Rural Development at Michigan State University and Professor and Morris Chair in State and Local Gov’t Finance and Policy. Catherine was managing director and member of the board of directors of the Wall Street investment bank Dillon, Read & Co. Inc., Assistant Secretary of Housing and Federal Housing Commissioner for HUD in the first Bush Administration, and president of Hamilton Securities Group, Inc. She has designed and closed over $25 billion of transactions and investments to-date, and has led investment strategy for $300 billion of financial assets and liabilities.

I wrote last year upon publication of DOD’s report. Of course, such “official” looting never happens with lawful accounting because records always show where the money goes. This would be like your bank agreeing they received a $65,000 deposit from you, agreeing the money was gone, and not refunding your account while claiming no further information of this “unaccountable,” “lost,” and “missing” money.
⇒ Keep Reading

Not even close. Rockefeller had banks in the former USSR. Ford owned the largest truck factory in the world at Kama River, which also made tanks that killed our boys in Vietnam.

We now trade in Vietnam. Sanctions are an act of war. Sanctions killed over 500K women and children in Iraq. Trade is good. Talks are good.

What about the act of war that caused the sanctions?

BTW it is predicted there will be a massive crop failure in NK due to drought. What do we do? What does the UN do?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/22/us/politics/congress-sanctions-russia.html

WASHINGTON — Congressional leaders have reached an agreement on sweeping sanctions legislation to punish [URL='http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/russiaandtheformersovietunion/index.html?inline=nyt-geo']Russia
for its election-meddling and aggression toward its neighbors, they said Saturday, defying the White House’s argument that President Trump needs flexibility to adjust the sanctions to fit his diplomatic initiatives with Moscow.[/URL]
link for more...

Me...

Cyber attacks are attacks on our intelligence community and elections. Many say this is an act of war.

The annexing of the Crimea and theft of a significant part of the Eastern Ukraine is a military attack on that region and threatens the Baltic states. (NATO protected)

What are your thoughts on N. Korean sanctions? Act of war?

If you are going to say do nothing, we might as well end here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/22/us/politics/congress-sanctions-russia.html

WASHINGTON — Congressional leaders have reached an agreement on sweeping sanctions legislation to punish
Russia for its election-meddling and aggression toward its neighbors, they said Saturday, defying the White House’s argument that President Trump needs flexibility to adjust the sanctions to fit his diplomatic initiatives with Moscow.
link for more...

Me...

Cyber attacks are attacks on our intelligence community and elections. Many say this is an act of war.

The annexing of the Crimea and theft of a significant part of the Eastern Ukraine is a military attack on that region and threatens the Baltic states. (NATO protected)

What are your thoughts on N. Korean sanctions? Act of war?

If you are going to say do nothing, we might as well end here.
Ok...now I know where you're attempting to go.

There is ZERO EVIDENCE of Russian meddling in our election. ZERO. However, Time Magazine ran a front page story on how the Clinton's got Yeltsin elected in '96. But, since you want to talk about meddling, let's start with Ukraine. Victoria Nuland's "F the EU" phone call was taped 18 days before the overthrow of democratically elected, Yanukovych. She said Yatsenyuk would be his successor. That's exactly what happened. If Washington is so pro-democracy, why was the new leader brought to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and showered with a $17 Billion IMF loan? Washington meddled and overthrew the Russian ally, Yanukovych.

90% of Eastern Ukraine had voted for Yanukovych. Pre and post Gallup poll #'s showed over 75% of Crimeans considered themselves Russian. A referendum had taken place after the coup and Crimeans sought protection FROM the USA.

Maybe you want to talk about how we meddled and overthrew Syria's leader in '49 or Mossadegh in Iran in '53 and installed the Shah and the bloody Savak police which ultimately led to the Ayatollah and the hostage crisis? SH in Iraq? Khadaffi in Libya?

So, if you are going to be naive enough and say we should "do nothing", I say, haven't we done enough? Is there a section of the world where we are not at war?

There are factions in all intel agencies. Beliefs are not uniform. The 3 heads are hand-picked...much like the liars who said Saddam Hussein had WMD's. Ummm...it was a lie. Are you going to put your faith behind a perjurer, James Clapper? Brennan the liar? Learn the difference between an assessment and an estimate.

Ok...now I know where you're attempting to go.

There is ZERO EVIDENCE of Russian meddling in our election. ZERO. However, Time Magazine ran a front page story on how the Clinton's got Yeltsin elected in '96. But, since you want to talk about meddling, let's start with Ukraine. Victoria Nuland's "F the EU" phone call was taped 18 days before the overthrow of democratically elected, Yanukovych. She said Yatsenyuk would be his successor. That's exactly what happened. If Washington is so pro-democracy, why was the new leader brought to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and showered with a $17 Billion IMF loan? Washington meddled and overthrew the Russian ally, Yanukovych.

90% of Eastern Ukraine had voted for Yanukovych. Pre and post Gallup poll #'s showed over 75% of Crimeans considered themselves Russian. A referendum had taken place after the coup and Crimeans sought protection FROM the USA.

Maybe you want to talk about how we meddled and overthrew Syria's leader in '49 or Mossadegh in Iran in '53 and installed the Shah and the bloody Savak police which ultimately led to the Ayatollah and the hostage crisis? SH in Iraq? Khadaffi in Libya?

So, if you are going to be naive enough and say we should "do nothing", I say, haven't we done enough? Is there a section of the world where we are not at war?

There are factions in all intel agencies. Beliefs are not uniform. The 3 heads are hand-picked...much like the liars who said Saddam Hussein had WMD's. Ummm...it was a lie. Are you going to put your faith behind a perjurer, James Clapper? Brennan the liar? Learn the difference between an assessment and an estimate.

"There is ZERO EVIDENCE of Russian meddling in our election. ZERO."

How can you possibly know this? You could say you don't personally know of any but how can you know there is zero evidence? If you read the bold I suggested, it says the exact opposite by people in the loop.
I don't think we are going to get anywhere with this. I just disagree with this completely. I'll go with the pros.

How can you possibly know this? You could say you don't personally know of any but how can you know there is zero evidence? If you read the bold I suggested, it says the exact opposite by people in the loop.
I don't think we are going to get anywhere with this. I just disagree with this completely. I'll go with the pros.
The same pro's that have lied America into senseless wars? Those pro's? If there was evidence, it would have been put forth by now. A Russian hacker would not leave his calling card like the Wet Bandits did in Home Alone. The calling card being the name Dherzinsky, the head of the former KGB. Russia is surrounded by NATO. Again, James Baker promised Gorbachev not to move 1 inch eastward with NATO IF they would dissolve the Warsaw Pact. Guess what happened? How comfortable would you feel if Russia and China were in Tijuana and Vancouver?

Last edited:

Yet the entire liberal establishment wants to tar and feather them without proof. In this country you are innocent before proven guilty. The libs are doing it the opposite way. I say you are guilty, now prove you are innocent. That is not how it works.

Yet the entire liberal establishment wants to tar and feather them without proof. In this country you are innocent before proven guilty. The libs are doing it the opposite way. I say you are guilty, now prove you are innocent. That is not how it works.
Of course that's how it works. This isn't a court. Taring is simply about making your opposition a sticky mess. You invented this game, stop complaining.

This is not a court of law. I can legitimately have an opinion.

BTW The opinion I expressed is supported by the intelligence community. Yours?

Have you seen that information, or are you going by the word of fine news sources, such as NBC and CNN? Personally, I have not seen anything.

Why is that allowed?

If it's not against the national interest of the country why should it be prohibited?

Have you seen that information, or are you going by the word of fine news sources, such as NBC and CNN? Personally, I have not seen anything.

Go back to post 18 and click on the link. Scroll down and read under the heading "Key assessment." It will give you the assessment of the professionals.

Again, James Baker promised Gorbachev not to move 1 inch eastward with NATO IF they would dissolve the Warsaw Pact. Guess what happened? How comfortable would you feel if Russia and China were in Tijuana and Vancouver?
This is Putin's narrative, but even Gorbachev has said this wasn't what was agreed upon.

This is Putin's narrative, but even Gorbachev has said this wasn't what was agreed upon.
It was 27 year CIA veteran, Ray McGovern, who chaired National Intelligence Estimates and personally delivered briefings to Reagan and GHWB. and Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Sorry...it is labeled "key Judgements." Scroll down several pages.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/russia-fsu/2014-08-18/why-ukraine-crisis-west-s-fault

Google Stephen Cohen. There is no bigger expert on Russia.

http://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl2109/stories/20040507001405000.htm

Veteran New York Times reporter Steven Kinzer notes at the Boston Globe:

From the moment the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, the United States has relentlessly pursued a strategy of encircling Russia, just as it has with other perceived enemies like China and Iran. [Background here, here and here.] It has brought 12 countries in central Europe, all of them formerly allied with Moscow, into the NATO alliance. US military power is now directly on Russia’s borders.

“I think it is the beginning of a new cold war,” warned George Kennan, the renowned diplomat and Russia-watcher, as NATO began expanding eastward. “I think the Russians will gradually react quite adversely, and it will affect their policies.”

Stephen Cohen – professor emeritus at New York University and Princeton University who has long focused on Russia – explained this weekend on CNN:

We are witnessing as we talk the making possibly of the worst history of our lifetime. We are watching the descending of a new cold war divide between west and east, only this time, it is not in far away Berlin, it’s right on Russia’s borders through the historical civilization in Ukraine. It’s a crisis of historic magnitude. If you ask how we got in it, how we got into the crisis, and how therefore do we get out, it is time to stop asking why Putin – why Putin is doing this or that, but ask about the American policy, and the European Union policy that led to this moment.

I don’t know if you your listeners or views remember George Kennan. He was considered [a] great strategic thinker about Russia among American diplomats but he warned when we expanded NATO [under Bill Clinton], that this was the most fateful mistake of American foreign policy and that it would lead to a new Cold War. George lived to his hundreds, died a few years ago, but his truth goes marching on. The decision to move NATO beginning in the 90’s continuing under Bush and continuing under Obama, is right now on Russia’s borders.

And if you want to know for sure, and I have spent a lot of time in Moscow, if you want to know what the Russian power elite thinks Ukraine is about, it is about bringing it into NATO. One last point, that so-called economic partnership that Yanukovych, the elected president of Ukraine did not sign, and that set off the streets – the protests in the streets in November, which led to this violence in and confrontation today, that so-called economic agreement included military clauses which said that Ukraine by signing this so called civilization agreement had to abide by NATO military policy. This is what this is about from the Russian point of view, the ongoing western march towards post Soviet Russia.

Russia may not be...but their government sure as hell is. Much like Iran. I have no problem with Iranians....I have a lot of reservations regarding their government. N Korea, too,
From 9/11 to today...how many Iranians have been responsible for terror attacks on Americans?

The U.S. is the world’s number-one spender on the military, and spends as much on the military as do all the next nine nations in the top ten. That includes (in order, after the U.S.): China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, Britain, Germany, Japan, India, and South Korea. Except for numbers 2 & 3 on that list, all of them are U.S. allies; and the U.S., France, Britain, and Germany, constitute 4 of the 28 member-nations in NATO.

NATO is, essentially, the club of purchasers of the weapons and services provided by U.S. military contractors. So: military contractors are an enormous lobby in Washington, and they need continual war, in order to be able to satisfy their stockholders. Expenditure of that military budget is spread throughout the U.S., so virtually every member of Congress relies upon the military lobbies, not only for re-election funds, but also for keeping unemployment down in his or her district or state.

As the reformed former CIA operative Ray McGovern documented on 15 May 2014, headlining “How NATO Jabs Russia on Ukraine,” a historic end of the Cold War was agreed to at the Malta Summit on 3 December 1989, and finalized in February 1990, between George H.W. Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev, but was violated by Bill Clinton, and is now being utterly trashed by Barack Obama, via his Ukraine gambit (the subject of this documentary film).

Above all else, Russia doesn’t want to be surrounded by NATO missiles and troops in Russia’s adjoining countries (now NATO-members) of Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and now, especially (though not yet NATO-member), Ukraine (the latter being especially important as it’s the pipeline route for transit of Russia’s gas supplies to Europe, as well as being the long-established base for Russia’s crucial Black Sea fleet). Here is Ray McGovern’s account of the key agreement between G.H.W. Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev:

“According to Jack Matlock, then-U.S. ambassador to the U.S.S.R. who took part in the Malta summit, the most basic agreement involved (1) Gorbachev’s pledge not to use force in Eastern Europe where the Russians had 24 divisions (some 350,000 troops) in East Germany alone, and (2) Bush’s promise not to ‘take advantage’ of a Soviet withdrawal from Eastern Europe.

In early February 1990, Bush sent Secretary of State James Baker to work out the all-important details directly with Gorbachev and Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze. Ambassador Matlock again was there and took careful notes on the negotiations, which focused on German reunification.

From memory, Matlock told me that Baker tried to convince Gorbachev that it was in Moscow’s interest to let a united Germany remain in NATO. Matlock recalled that Baker began his argument saying something like, ‘Assuming there is no expansion of NATO jurisdiction to the East, not one inch, what would you prefer, a Germany embedded in NATO, or one that can go independently in any direction it chooses.’ [emphasis added]

The implication was that Germany might just opt to acquire nuclear weapons, were it not anchored in NATO. Gorbachev answered that he took Baker’s argument seriously, and wasted little time in agreeing to the deal.

Ambassador Matlock, one of the most widely respected experts on Russia, told me ‘the language used was absolute, and the entire negotiation was in the framework of a general agreement that there would be no use of force by the Soviets and no ‘taking advantage’ by the U.S.”

He added, ‘I don’t see how anybody could view the subsequent expansion of NATO as anything but ‘taking advantage.’”

U.S. President Obama is so determined to tie a noose around the neck of Russia, that he has no hesitation about allying himself with Ukrainian supporters of Adolf Hitler in order to achieve it. And, so, the Ukrainian civil war is the result, and it was sparked by the massacre of hundreds of pro-independence civilians in Odessa on May 2nd, by U.S.-sponsored fascists.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/05/ukrainian-civil-war-started.html

It really is quite startling the way Trump has opened up the floodgates for American companies to do business with Russia. Here's President Trump signing the Magnitsky Act, which repealed the Jackson-Vanik Amendment and granted "permanent normal trade relations" to Russia in 2012 after 38 years of trade restrictions.

1041398763.jpg

It really is quite startling the way Trump has opened up the floodgates for American companies to do business with Russia. Here's President Trump signing the Magnitsky Act, which repealed the Jackson-Vanik Amendment and granted "permanent normal trade relations" to Russia in 2012 after 38 years of trade restrictions.

1041398763.jpg

Sanctions were put in place after this event. They were put in place because of bad behavior by Putin.

Edit:They were put in place by Obama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT