ADVERTISEMENT

Why Kadyn Proctor flipped from Iowa to Alabama (again)

Iowa has won A LOT of culture games over the years under KF. One doesn't have to look very hard to see what talent with no/poor culture looks like. See Nebraska. They have averaged top 25 classes since 2019 but haven't played in a bowl game since Obama was in office. They lose games in the 4th quarter and are on their 8'th coach (Including interims) in the KF era.

If Proctor thought he was going to waltz in and reshape the program, the values, the culture, or even worse had no respect for them... then he's a huge addition by subtraction.

On one hand I agree - especially bc candidly that is what it will take to ascend to the next level as a program. But I also respect the ability to protect the culture that is the underpinning of what sets Iowa apart from most other programs. I think KF is trying to preserve the concept of “team” and hard work in an age where $$$ is taking over.

There are definite downsides to missing out on players like Proctor. But if landing guys like proctor means we also lose some of the impact from a team-first culture, it might still be a net positive for a program like Iowa.

Ordinarily that might sound like fluff. But for a coach like KF and a program that has absolutely been built on teamwork, hard work, and integrity, I do think it’s legitimate. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck to some extent - because it likely means we won’t be a national title contender…probably not even a BIG champ contender without it. But so it goes, I guess, until the dumbass powers that be get this friggn NIL and transfer debacle leveled out at least some.

Edit: if I didn’t love Iowa so much I sure would hate college football right now…
Even Michigan, with all of it's stars, talked constantly about the culture at Michigan - coaches and players said it in almost every interview I saw. That's how you build a championship team. One or two 5 star guys is not going to win you a championship - but of you give them special treatment it could cost you team chemistry.

The kid is obviously good - he started at Bama. But if he wants special treatment then Iowa isn't the place for him.

A player I know on the team says KP seemed like he thought he was better than everyone and seemed like a prick. Didn’t make much of an effort to fit in. Others weren’t real excited to take him in. So basically confirming what we all know or thought
KF comment on Proctor: “If there's a silver lining here, we didn't spend any practice reps with someone who had no intention of being here. And that’s a positive.”

Pretty damn blunt.

Wonder if maybe the doner asked for it back?
Was it a gift or for Kayden to perform some sort of work?
My understanding is that he did not have to give the 15% back. I am sure he had to make some sort of appearance or something. Cannot imagine it was much time spent doing anything.

I watched Bama a number of times last year and did focus on kp who was easy to follow out on the end of line.
The second half of season he was good..especially in pass pro.
He would just swallow up his man and did not let him out.
The Bama QB did not have to worry bout his backside which is why I was hoping he would protect Cade this season.

But that said...ultimately not a good fit for our program if this entitlement attitude is true.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Might end up being a good thing for him,... without bridges he'll be forced to grow up.
Yep.
All this drama may come back to haunt him.
Reputation matters, and that stuff can follow you a long time.

I watched Bama a number of times last year and did focus on kp who was easy to follow out on the end of line.
The second half of season he was good..especially in pass pro.
He would just swallow up his man and did not let him out.
The Bama QB did not have to worry bout his backside which is why I was hoping he would protect Cade this season.

But that said...ultimately not a good fit for our program if this entitlement attitude is true.
I seem to recall in the games that I watched that they checked the RB to Proctor's side a lot if it wasn't a quick game or rpo

Even Michigan, with all of it's stars, talked constantly about the culture at Michigan - coaches and players said it in almost every interview I saw. That's how you build a championship team. One or two 5 star guys is not going to win you a championship - but of you give them special treatment it could cost you team chemistry.

The kid is obviously good - he started at Bama. But if he wants special treatment then Iowa isn't the place for him.
Yeah...I get pulled into these things don't I...

Coincidentally we had a (former) 5* OT transfer in last year....who kind of left us at the alter also...never officially committed but we were his leader for a couple years while older brother was at Michigan...

He starts for two years at a P5 school and then decides he wants to transfer to us...

So what does our culture do? A few of the senior OL reach out to him and tell him that they have a house, where a bunch of the OL live, with an empty room...tell him take it...not the coaches who called him...not the admin...the players...and they bring him through the ropes

Last year he started the first few games but got banged up...not enough were he couldn't play but we had depth so they sat him to put in a guy who would be more consistent...kid never started another game but rested and worked himself back (without complaining) to being a part of our jumbo packages in our playoff run...

He's now expected to be our LT and a leader...could of left and gotten good money...

Coaches can preach a culture but players make it happen...the players bringing him into it was the difference

Yeah...I get pulled into these things don't I...

Coincidentally we had a (former) 5* OT transfer in last year....who kind of left us at the alter also...never officially committed but we were his leader for a couple years while older brother was at Michigan...

He starts for two years at a P5 school and then decides he wants to transfer to us...

So what does our culture do? A few of the senior OL reach out to him and tell him that they have a house, where a bunch of the OL live, with an empty room...tell him take it...not the coaches who called him...not the admin...the players...and they bring him through the ropes

Last year he started the first few games but got banged up...not enough were he couldn't play but we had depth so they sat him to put in a guy who would be more consistent...kid never started another game but rested and worked himself back (without complaining) to being a part of our jumbo packages in our playoff run...

He's now expected to be our LT and a leader...could of left and gotten good money...

Coaches can preach a culture but players make it happen...the players bringing him into it was the difference
Of course. Players create culture. Coaches provide guidance and try to bring in guys that will fit the culture.

Coaches can't "create" culture on their own, but they can certainly muck it up.

Would love to hear from his former teammate X on how he feels about this & Kaden in general right now.

It’s unfortunate it seems we can’t find a ‘happy medium’ on how to handle major talents that may be a little into themselves.

It’s the Iowa way or the highway. For everyone. Comes at a cost on occasion.
Norm Parker had a saying about players being late for the team bus. No matter the player.

"We've got a million dollars waiting on a dime."

There are 100+ players on the roster, and no red carpets.

Everyone earns their way onto the bus, and they need to show up ready and on time. Every time.

Period.

He is his own worst enemy and you do not want those kinds of people around. I mean he could have gone to pretty much any school in the country and put in the work and been drafted. So do not give me this "Bama is the standard" crap or "I didn't want to settle" crap. The kid is a flake and that is all there is to it. I mean look Brees come out of Purdue and was drafted 2nd round. He was 4th for the heisman on a 7-5 (4-4 in conference) team in 1999 and 3rd for the heisman on a 8-4 (6-2 in conference) 2000 team. The NFL puts more of a value on what type of person you are then what school you went to. They obviously trust some coaches opinions more then others as well.

He is his own worst enemy and you do not want those kinds of people around. I mean he could have gone to pretty much any school in the country and put in the work and been drafted. So do not give me this "Bama is the standard" crap or "I didn't want to settle" crap. The kid is a flake and that is all there is to it. I mean look Brees come out of Purdue and was drafted 2nd round. He was 4th for the heisman on a 7-5 (4-4 in conference) team in 1999 and 3rd for the heisman on a 8-4 (6-2 in conference) 2000 team. The NFL puts more of a value on what type of person you are then what school you went to. They obviously trust some coaches opinions more then others as well.
I took pistachio’s comment as sarcasm. But the point is made.

I’ve said all along Kadyn appeared to be a lazy, momma’s boy flake. He fits the bill.

does anyone else just assume that he got a massive NIL offer from Alabama to come back? Doubt "fitting in" or red carpets had much to do with it

Reactions: RLMHAWK
yep, KP definitely cost him draft position.

I try not to bash teenagers but this kid is about as flaky as it gets.

Probably best for both parties that Proctor is going back to Alabama. I’m just glad it happened now.

I wonder how many more transfers Proctor has before his college career is done. Lol.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
My understanding is that he did not have to give the 15% back. I am sure he had to make some sort of appearance or something. Cannot imagine it was much time spent doing anything.
I wonder if the biggest impact is that it will be that much harder to get doners to put up the up-front money for the next big recruit. Even if he did whatever he was obligated to do for that 15%, I seriously doubt they're feeling they got their money's worth.

A former walk-on from KF's first years once told me every player is held to the same standard. He never played a lick but has a ton of respect for KF and the fact that everybody has to earn everything. It's how you maintain a culture and how older players can accept a younger player playing over them. They know it took a lot for that kid to jump them, and though it sucks, they can respect it.

I'm not going to throw out names, but we've had some really talented players who many thought should be playing more right away. From a talent perspective, that may be true. From a culture perspective, they weren't ready to wear a 2* mentality yet.

There are two sides to this coin: sometimes older players are taking reps from younger guys that talent would dictate doesn't always make sense. On the other side, you better buy in to the culture and work your butt off.

Of course. Players create culture. Coaches provide guidance and try to bring in guys that will fit the culture.

Coaches can't "create" culture on their own, but they can certainly muck it up.
I was trying to be subtle because this situation had little to nothing to do with Michigan...maybe I was a little too subtle...

The interesting thing, to me, is a lot of this story keeps coming back to his interaction with teammates. I seem to remember reading he "chose" to live alone when he got to IC. There are of course two sides (sometimes even more) to every story but is it possible the players didn't embrace him and essentially ran him off? From the article that started this thread it seems he was not exactly welcomed (by the players) with open arms.

Stuff like that makes a HUGE difference. People want to put this 100% on the kid and I'm sure he played his part but maybe the O players chased him off without giving him a real chance...moreover, would things have been way different if they embraced him and said "we'll show you the way?"

Again, many want to put this all on the kid but it looks the Bama players welcomed him back and even encouraged it. Bama is not a lazy program so it looks like this kid is not the lazy entitled brat that some are trying to paint him as...and he is not a pariah as it appears they invited him to hang on spring break.

Your O has been flat out broken...maybe it wasn't only a BF problem...maybe it is a culture problem (on O specifically...cant doubt your D)?

Cade didn't exactly have an easy time at first. Joe Evans, who eventually became his best friend, hated his guts at first....thought he was a cocky SOB and didn't like the fact he came from "the enemy". But Cade eventually won him over.

Iowa can be a tough place to transfer to if you're thinking things are going to be handed to you because of your pedigree.
And I agree. However, that's the change in the game that drove the likes of Nick Saban to the sidelines. If you're going to compete at the highest levels, and for the best players, you had better have a chief butt kisser on staff. I don't like it, either, but that's the game. Or it is until changes to NIL happen.

I was trying to be subtle because this situation had little to nothing to do with Michigan...maybe I was a little too subtle...

The interesting thing, to me, is a lot of this story keeps coming back to his interaction with teammates. I seem to remember reading he "chose" to live alone when he got to IC. There are of course two sides (sometimes even more) to every story but is it possible the players didn't embrace him and essentially ran him off? From the article that started this thread it seems he was not exactly welcomed (by the players) with open arms.

Stuff like that makes a HUGE difference. People want to put this 100% on the kid and I'm sure he played his part but maybe the O players chased him off without giving him a real chance...moreover, would things have been way different if they embraced him and said "we'll show you the way?"

Again, many want to put this all on the kid but it looks the Bama players welcomed him back and even encouraged it. Bama is not a lazy program so it looks like this kid is not the lazy entitled brat that some are trying to paint him as...and he is not a pariah as it appears they invited him to hang on spring break.

Your O has been flat out broken...maybe it wasn't only a BF problem...maybe it is a culture problem (on O specifically...cant doubt your D)?
I thought your first post was saying that but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. No, he wasn’t “ran off” because the players never gave him a chance, and frankly that’s pretty insulting to the culture of the Iowa program. He had friends on the team already, like Xavier Nwankpa, who were excited to have him join. By all accounts, he came in, made no attempts to befriend anyone, didn’t show up to any practices or workouts, and was an entitled prick the whole time. He was more interested in the attention from his big homecoming than actually being a Hawkeye

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I thought your first post was saying that but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. No, he wasn’t “ran off” because the players never gave him a chance, and frankly that’s pretty insulting to the culture of the Iowa program. He had friends on the team already, like Xavier Nwankpa, who were excited to have him join. By all accounts, he came in, made no attempts to befriend anyone, didn’t show up to any practices or workouts, and was an entitled prick the whole time. He was more interested in the attention from his big homecoming than actually being a Hawkeye
How could he miss any practices if he announced he was going back to Bama before spring practice started? No practices to miss...

Ok...not showing up for weight room sessions could be real but can't you see how a certain narrative is being sold here?

Btw...isn't his buddy Nwankpa on the other side of the ball? He has nothing to do with the OL brotherhood...and it's hard to call them brothers because they don't play that way...culture

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
How could he miss any practices if he announced he was going back to Bama before spring practice started? No practices to miss...

Ok...not showing up for weight room sessions could be real but can't you see how a certain narrative is being sold here?

Btw...isn't his buddy Nwankpa on the other side of the ball? He has nothing to do with the OL brotherhood...and it's hard to call them brothers because they don't play that way...culture
A pretty clear picture has emerged. You’re the one on another team’s board trying to push your own narrative. Troll

In the end it does not really matter what happened. There is little to no excuse for not having the mental fortitude, discipline or whatever it was that caused him to make the moves he made. Yeah I can see leaving because of a coaching change and I can even sympathize with a young person leaving home and then wanting to go back. Anything after that there is something wrong. Boo frigging hoo they other guys do not like me, Boo hoo I have to work out harder then I am used to. Cry me a dam river build a bridge and get over it. So as far as I am concerned he is a flake and can flake off.

Personally, I think X has bigger things to worry about. He's a 5* that, imo, hasn't stood out as one might think he should in his first two seasons.
Honestly, I thought that too initially...seemed like sometimes he was never mentioned in games & maybe a relative flop, yet....

"Xavier Nwankpa, Iowa. Nwankpa finished the 2023 season as the most valuable safety in the country according to PFF's wins above average metric. He did that by posting an 88.4 PFF coverage grade, which was tied for fourth among Power Five safeties"

A pretty clear picture has emerged. You’re the one on another team’s board trying to push your own narrative. Troll
No...

I'm asking questions...you don't think my own base has many that jump to conclusions on situations like this? According to many in my fan base the only reason, these days, we ever loose a recruit is because of NIL...or our admissions

It's partly true but not the only reasons...

Michigan has not recruited at a truly elite level for a while...we get 10-15 ranked classes and develop them...10-15 makes you pretty good but doesn't win you a NC...UNTIL WE DID THAT

A HUGE part of the has been the portal...we only bring in a few each year but we've gotten out of it... Outland & Rimington winner, multiple All B10 players and guys who propelled us to an NC

My narrative is simple...I saw how a "development program" won the NC...90% of that was culture...hell, our biggest gets were on OL...a position we had super depth...we went went two deep with guys who could start for 90% of P5 guys and brought in more...to make it 3 deep...and the guys who where in line to play still stayed...they even embraced the new guys...THAT IS CULTURE

Stop blaming the kid and start asking why your culture doesn't integrate the new guys

Btw....our fan base thinks Cade is an entitled little btch...thinks even worse of him than you do of KP...do you agree? Do you think fans sometimes overreact maybe?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT