ADVERTISEMENT

Why not play Padilla in the 4th?

Heard from someone that is inside— Alex is entering portal in December. If this guy know it the Kirk know it
seems legit GIF

And?

Quick question. How many years did you play D1 football? Just curious.
I love it when I see posts like this. Some of us have been watching college football for more decades that we care to admit. We may not know the intricacies of running a practice or preparing a team for a game, but we know horrible football when we see it and it is on full display in Kinnick Stadium. It's not just a few disgruntled fans. It is the entirety of the college football media as well. Kirk has practically the whole of college football wondering what the hell he's doing right now. Can we all be wrong?

Said it in another thread but you all need to remember that these are college kids that work their butts off in practice and year round to be a football player. Kirk not giving the backup a series or two in a blowout win at 1:30 AM, in an empty stadium, with only a few of us watching was just freaking cruel. It's not like it was a big stage where the outstanding play of the backup would make it impossible to go back to the starter. It was a situation where very few were even watching or paying attention. Literally practice reps in a live scrimmage with another team. But nope, no way. How do you even handle that in the QB room watching film the next day? What do you even say? "Sorry kid, you're working hard, I wanted to get you in the game but the opportunity just wasn't there. Keep working hard, maybe next time??????"

It was BS. I wouldn't put up with it if I was one of those QBs. Kids want to play, or at least have a chance of playing, and if they don't get to play they're usually pretty reasonable and understand the reasons why better than we do. I just can't justify it here. You think they want to waste the best years of their football lives languishing away on the bench with zero rewards ever? Yeah, F that.
All Kirk is going to accomplish is to run off Padilla, Labas, or both when the season is over.

I love it when I see posts like this. Some of us have been watching college football for more decades that we care to admit. We may not know the intricacies of running a practice or preparing a team for a game, but we know horrible football when we see it and it is on full display in Kinnick Stadium. It's not just a few disgruntled fans. It is the entirety of the college football media as well. Kirk has practically the whole of college football wondering what the hell he's doing right now. Can we all be wrong?
So none ,right?

So none ,right?
So you're of the mind that unless a person has played college football, that there is no way they could possibly understand the incredible intricacies of the game and that the Ferentzs' are the only ones in the country that could guide this team to glory. If that's the case, how come the offense sucks so badly? They're the ones in charge. They should have all the answers. Yet we are LAST in the country in the area that BF is in charge of. Seems as though someone must have forgotten all of the complexities of running an viable offense.

So you're of the mind that unless a person has played college football, that there is no way they could possibly understand the incredible intricacies of the game and that the Ferentzs' are the only ones in the country that could guide this team to glory. If that's the case, how come the offense sucks so badly? They're the ones in charge. They should have all the answers. Yet we are LAST in the country in the area that BF is in charge of. Seems as though someone must have forgotten all of the complexities of running an viable offense.
It’s a dumb argument with no logical basis for even posing it.

I agree. As a coach I try to get as many kids in a game as possible.
Its hard but not to get one of our back up QBs in- is just stupid.
Ive always said this , the back up QB is one snap away from starting anytime you can get him reps- it’s just the smart thing to do.
Love Kirk but do not understand his logic sometimes.

Kirk is doing what he thinks puts us in the best position to win games....period. We may not, in this moment, agree with it....but, he knows a little more about college football and specifically this team than we do. What if the team improved a bit this past Saturday (they probably did)....and what if they make more progress this coming game at Rutgers and win. And then....what happens if a significantly improved Hawkeye team find an ugly way to win at home against Michigan? It could happen...even though many of you buttholes will laugh....yes, it all could happen. What are you all going to say then about our head coach?

Quit acting like you have his level of expertise. You don't. Let him work toward weekly improvement....and let him lead the team and finds ways to win games.

• Haha
Reactions: RLMHAWK and DewHawk
You did not answer his question. So, the assumption was none.
Didn't say you couldn't understand the intricacies at all.

Heard from someone that is inside— Alex is entering portal in December. If this guy know it the Kirk know it
Good for Padilla! I’ll be rooting for him where ever he goes.

Kid got absolutely SCREWED by Ferentz.

All he’s done is been an undefeated starter at Iowa.

I wish that was good enough but no, good practicer is what matters. Not wins

Fwiw, Padilla did put his helmet on after the last offensive drive and Spencer took his headset and red hat. So Padilla would have gotten in on the next series had there been one.
O wow so bigs. I’m sure he was so pumped to turn and hand off or kneel. Would’ve been amazing game tape to go over and work on in practice im sure and incredibly valuable if he’s needed to be called on for any reason.

Fwiw, Padilla did put his helmet on after the last offensive drive and Spencer took his headset and red hat. So Padilla would have gotten in on the next series had there been one.
LOL. I think that's just adding insult to injury.

"All right, kid, there's 30 seconds left in the game and other team has the ball down 27-0. But if they manage to turn it over or lose it on downs before the final whistle, the offense is ALL YOURS..."

It would have been great to see Padilla hand the ball off the entire 4th quarter. We would have really been able to tell who the better QB is after that.
A few years ago when Justin Fields was a Freshman at Georgia, he went in the game in mop up duty. All running plays. After the game a reporter asked him what it was like to get game action. His response..."I handed the ball off good as f@%&."

LOL. I think that's just adding insult to injury.

"All right, kid, there's 30 seconds left in the game and other team has the ball down 27-0. But if they manage to turn it over or lose it on downs before the final whistle, the offense is ALL YOURS..."
Lol I know. I felt bad for him as he was kind of excited to have his name called but also knew he wouldn't go in.

I love how everyone wants to pass over Padilla for Labas. Padilla has the mobility and his completion percentage would be 20 points higher if his receivers would've caught the ball last season. He throws a nice ball and had good accuracy last season. No shortage of arm strength and also kept many plays alive with his feet that Petras would've taken a sack on. I just don't get the "Padilla's no good either" talk. On top of all of that, he's shown tremendous loyalty in a day and age when that's almost impossible to find.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I saw a ton of unknown names in late mop up duty on both O and D .. just to show this kid some respect? He’s probably the better player than SP and why in the hell the coaches can’t give him a little bone to showcase his skills once again from last year is basically being spit on the face. SP had a better game by far but yet again the competition was poor even though I hope Nevada wins out :) the rest of their season. If KF And Co feel so called “comfortable” with both QB’s they have shouldn’t Padilla at least get some plays even if it’s handing the ball off for Gods sake.

Petras is the starter going forward. I'm not sure anyone can reasonably argue differently right now. So with this being true, and his performance, doesn't it make sense to get the guy every snap possible given what we've witnessed so far?

I love how everyone wants to pass over Padilla for Labas. Padilla has the mobility and his completion percentage would be 20 points higher if his receivers would've caught the ball last season. He throws a nice ball and had good accuracy last season. No shortage of arm strength and also kept many plays alive with his feet that Petras would've taken a sack on. I just don't get the "Padilla's no good either" talk. On top of all of that, he's shown tremendous loyalty in a day and age when that's almost impossible to find.
There have been several reports that he doesn’t throw a good ball and that is why there as many drops as there were.

You are kidding, right? Alex really isn't all that mobile. With this line and how they have played thus far....I'm sure he would have been sacked just as many times as Petras has. His completion rate would NOT have been 20 points higher. He throws a wobbly ball much of the time....and no, he doesn't possess great arm strength. He can't make all of the throws (Petras can). Finally....how do YOU know he's shown "tremendous loyalty"? Do you attend team meetings and practices?

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
You are kidding, right? Alex really isn't all that mobile. With this line and how they have played thus far....I'm sure he would have been sacked just as many times as Petras has. His completion rate would NOT have been 20 points higher. He throws a wobbly ball much of the time....and no, he doesn't possess great arm strength. He can't make all of the throws (Petras can). Finally....how do YOU know he's shown "tremendous loyalty"? Do you attend team meetings and practices?
Did you watch any of the games last season….at all?

Reactions: Niko13
Wow! With a reply like this, I'm hard pressed to wonder if you've ever seen an Iowa game since those two have been on campus. The fact that he's still on the roster takes tremendous loyalty given the way KF has handled the QB position. Also, in the off season, Alex spoke nothing but great things about being here and he supports the team regardless of his role. Not sure many could say that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT