ADVERTISEMENT

Why this loss isn't as bad as people think

Feb 13, 2005
I've seen some say that PSU just wanted the win more than Iowa did, or that Iowa was out-hustled. However, we outrebounded Penn State 49-34. We held PSU under 40% shooting and in the half court our defense was very solid.

If Iowa just had a bad shooting night, we would have won. However, we had a horrendous shooting night shooting 26% from the field and 20% from 3. We are not a good jump shooting team to begin with, but tonight was probably the worst of the season. We had a number of good looks from the offensive sets we ran, we just didn't hit our shots. I don't think we can shoot any worse than we did today.

Turnovers were an issue for only one player today: Anthony Clemmons. Clemmons has been very good this year protecting the ball, and I don't see him having another 5 turnover game. He alone accounted for basically half of our turnovers. He will be better next game.

Additionally, PSU is not as bad as many seem to make them out to be. No, they're not a great team, but they did start the year 12-1, they did beat some good teams, and they nearly beat Purdue, Michigan State, Maryland, and they took Wisconsin down to the wire at home too.

FInally, and probably most importantly, this loss is a great chance for this team to refocus. In sports, being humbled is often a good thing. They will now have a long weekend to wait to see where they end up, and by the time next Thursday or Friday rolls around, this team is going to be itching to get back on the court to make up for this loss.

This loss sucks, I'm not denying that, but the sky isn't falling.

Here is a good stat. 58-67 points. Not to be a d but losing to a conference bottom dweller when you are a tourney bound team there really is no excuse. Losing tomorrow would've been acceptable.

Some of what you say is true, however I hope that the team is back in Iowa city tonight so they can have practice and get rewarded for such crappy play by getting to stay in Chicago. There is no excuse for shooting 26% at any level above junior high. It won't matter who we play or what seed we are if only two players go to the ncaa game

Good thread, I also think IA will make another good run in the Dance like the loss to the Kats motivated them to do a 6 in a row. Just one of those WTF game, it happens...

No, this was a bad loss.

We'll see on Sunday if it dropped them to the 8/9 line. That will make it worse.

Doesn't take away from the entirety of the year to this point, which overall has exceeded my expectations.

But, they should not have lost to a team with > 100 rpi.

On a good shooting night I believe that Iowa can beat any team including Badgers and K Wildcats. Iowa beat UNC and it wasn't even a good shooting night.

We have a punchers chance in the tourney. GO HAWKS!!

I agree with the OP. Maybe I am not as angry because I wasn't able to watch the second half but I really feel like this was just one of those days. You will never win shooting 26%. I also agree that this game has the potential to bond and motivate this team. By no means am I happy about what happened or will I say that the Hawks shouldn't have won that game easily- especially with how poor Penn St. played in the first half.

No matter what I am really excited for the tournament selection show on Sunday and hope we can get some favorable draws.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:

I've seen some say that PSU just wanted the win more than Iowa did, or that Iowa was out-hustled. However, we outrebounded Penn State 49-34. We held PSU under 40% shooting and in the half court our defense was very solid.

If Iowa just had a bad shooting night, we would have won. However, we had a horrendous shooting night shooting 26% from the field and 20% from 3. We are not a good jump shooting team to begin with, but tonight was probably the worst of the season. We had a number of good looks from the offensive sets we ran, we just didn't hit our shots. I don't think we can shoot any worse than we did today.

Turnovers were an issue for only one player today: Anthony Clemmons. Clemmons has been very good this year protecting the ball, and I don't see him having another 5 turnover game. He alone accounted for basically half of our turnovers. He will be better next game.

Additionally, PSU is not as bad as many seem to make them out to be. No, they're not a great team, but they did start the year 12-1, they did beat some good teams, and they nearly beat Purdue, Michigan State, Maryland, and they took Wisconsin down to the wire at home too.

FInally, and probably most importantly, this loss is a great chance for this team to refocus. In sports, being humbled is often a good thing. They will now have a long weekend to wait to see where they end up, and by the time next Thursday or Friday rolls around, this team is going to be itching to get back on the court to make up for this loss.

When seeding time comes around and you enter your Conference Tournament, each "next" game becomes the most important game of the year. The fact that Iowa shot their worst percentage of the season, in what was now their biggest game, really sucks. That is the definition of choking.

Fortunately, I listened to the game on the radio at work (DVR'd it but won't bother watching them shoot 26%) instead of seeing it. Bottom line, good teams don't get bounced from their respective conference tournaments in the 1st game by a conference bottom feeder, which Penn States 4-14 record CLEARLY shows they are. Yeah, they lost several "close" games, that's what bad teams do. They also played a game yesterday, when we didn't.

This loss isn't as bad as losing to Northwestern last year after piss pounding them twice, but it sure as hell isn't good.

Iowa had every possible advantage you could think of entering this game, and completely folded like a cheap tent. Unbelievable. 0-4 on Neutral Courts this year. Guess where the NCAA Tournament is played?

Bad loss. Blueprint to beat Iowa at the wrong time of the season, the end of it.

PSU played aggressive (Per Gesell) and they wilted against it.

You shoot 26% you will lose almost all of your games. But strangely that's not why we lost. We lost because our defensive intensity was not there in the 2nd half like it was in the 1st half. If our D was as good in the 2nd half, we still would have won fairly easily even with ridiculously poor shooting.

Unless it drops us to a 8/9 seed it might be a blessing in disguise. We had been playing over our heads for the last couple of weeks, so hopefully this loss will get our guys to refocus.

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:
No, this was a bad loss.

We'll see on Sunday if it dropped them to the 8/9 line. That will make it worse.

Doesn't take away from the entirety of the year to this point, which overall has exceeded my expectations.

But, they should not have lost to a team with > 100 rpi.
Please point to where I said this wasn't a bad loss.

There is a difference between saying this isn't a bad loss, and saying this loss isn't as bad as people think. I argued the latter, but you're putting words in my mouth arguing against the former.

I can get over the the loss, the worst part isn't even the seeding to me, takes all the fun out of the next couple of days leading up to selection sunday. Didn't think that would be possible this year. I dont want to watch another game until the selection show now.

The OP was pretty well stated, but it's kind of a "bird in the hand vs two in the bush" conundrum.

Yeah, if there is any kind of run in the next tourney then not a huge deal today. Big "if" though. We could in fact be left empty handed.

Way to defend your post, name calling.

No need to continue this as you've got both covered.

Originally posted by doughudd:

Way to defend your post, name calling.

No need to continue this as you've got both covered.

You can answer my question -- when you quoted me by intentionally cutting out half of the sentence which qualified my comment that our defense was very solid (in the half court) because we held PSU below 40% shooting, were you being stupid or were you being an ass?

Two types of people take comments out of context in an attempt to make another person look foolish: (1) simpletons and (2) jerks. I'm just trying to figure out which one you were.

This post was edited on 3/12 9:42 PM by icantfindausernamethatisntused

Pre-Big10, one nice win vs NC but ugly losses vs UNI and ISU

Big10-- 12-6, nice season.

B1G tourney-- big goose egg,

NCAA tourney: tbd

Pretty big loss. If we lose in NCAA 1st game, it will be a lot like last year.

Whoa put the bottle down guy lol.
Originally posted by HawkVic:
On a good shooting night I believe that Iowa can beat any team including Badgers and K Wildcats. Iowa beat UNC and it wasn't even a good shooting night.

Sorry, don't consider losing to teams that are better than us bad losses. ISU and UNI are playing better then the HAWKS and have all year long. Bad losses are NW and Minn. in my book. To each their own I guess.

And maybe shooting less then 40% is validation to our defense throughout the game but take it first half / second half and see what ya think.

I don't disagree with the original poster. It's a good idea to keep the loss in perspective.

But I disagree on one point -- you say Iowa had a horrendous shooting night, and that's correct. But the fact is Iowa is not a good shooting team. The Hawks are 9th in the conference in FG percentage and 10th in 3-point percentage. That means their margin for error against even bad teams is very small, and they can't afford to give up so many points in a half. The real reason they lost was their refusal to guard anybody, especially in the 2nd half.

When will the excuses stop?

The fact is....if the Hawks don't at least win one game in the NCAA tournament, this season...while not a "bust"...will certainly be a major disappointment.

Good post. Here is a game recap and link to the box score.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400768355

26.3% shooting and giving up 48 points in the second half were why we lost, imo.

Penn State deserves credit for making some big shots down the stretch.

We do not enjoy as much success when officials allow games to be physical. Unfortunately that seems like about half the games in the Big Ten.

I can't believe the OP's post was criticized at all! This site is getting out of hand, imo. I read more complaining on here than on sites for Indiana, Illinois and UCLA! And I'm completely mystified as to why the player insults and fan gossip are left unchecked.

It seems like the inmates are running the asylum.

Originally posted by dcgohawks:
I don't disagree with the original poster. It's a good idea to keep the loss in perspective.

But I disagree on one point -- you say Iowa had a horrendous shooting night, and that's correct. But the fact is Iowa is not a good shooting team. The Hawks are 9th in the conference in FG percentage and 10th in 3-point percentage. That means their margin for error against even bad teams is very small, and they can't afford to give up so many points in a half. The real reason they lost was their refusal to guard anybody, especially in the 2nd half.
I think we are saying the same thing.

I agree that Iowa is not a good shooting team. However, yesterday was our worst shooting performance of the year. The only other games that I believe came close to yesterday's performance was the UNI and NW losses. UNI is a good defensive team and we frankly didn't get many open looks, but we did get good looks at the basket yesterday. Against NW we shot above 30% from the field and from 3, so even that game was a much better shooting night.

Given this was our worst shooting night in 32 games, I feel comfortable believing that we won't shoot that poorly again.

As for our defense, in the second half it was not what we would want, but in the half court we still forced some tough shots. It just so happened that in the last 12 minutes Penn State hit 7 of 11 jump shots, many of which were very difficult shots. If our defense can force tough jumpshots, that should be considered a "win" on that possession, and if the opponent makes them you just have to tip your hat. With that said, we gave up way too many layups in the second half overall -- but taken as a whole our defense was pretty good in the half court.

Another thing I should mention as a hidden positive is Peter Jok. He is really struggling as of late, but if there is one thing I'm not worried with him, it's his ability to shoot the ball. He has been cold lately, but what has made him an even larger liability lately is his turnovers. Yesterday he played 21 minutes without a single turnover. His shots will fall eventually.

My main point with this thread was that in some losses this year, we've looked terrible. We looked completely lost in the second halves against Texas, Iowa State, UNI, Michigan State, we were terrible the whole game at Wisconsin. and we didn't play aggressive at NW. However, against Penn State we held a sizeable margin in rebounds, we made more free throws than Penn State attempted, and we didn't settle for a lot of 3 point attempts. Overall, we played decently besides making our open shots. This wasn't the kind of loss that kills confidence, because we did do a lot of things well.

Again, this was a bad loss, there is no denying that. Penn State is a decent team, but as a tournament team, we have no business losing to them. But I have seen many say that this proves Iowa cannot win in the NCAA tournament, or that Penn State showed other teams exactly how to beat us. It's not as bad as many people are making it out to be.

Wow. We lost to a cellar-dweller yet you are attempting to rationalize it's kinda ok. Just wow.

This loss sucked no matter how you slice it up and it once again exposed our weakness(es) at guard play. How many times has this happened this year? Answer: alot. Until this team dramatically improves things at the 1 and 2 positions, we will struggle. It's as simple as that.

Originally posted by hawkeyedude#1:

Wow. We lost to a cellar-dweller yet you are attempting to rationalize it's kinda ok. Just wow.

This loss sucked no matter how you slice it up and it once again exposed our weakness(es) at guard play. How many times has this happened this year? Answer: alot. Until this team dramatically improves things at the 1 and 2 positions, we will struggle. It's as simple as that.
I would say our bigger weakness is at the center position. I think the guards played decent. MG had okay stats. Did what he needed to do. The bigs should have had a big game between the two of them. PSU is undersized, Woody is a 7'1 monster and Gabe is an all out athlete. I don't understand why they didn't get it done. It's almost embarrassing we didn't control the game. The real embarrassment is giving up 48 points in one half to a bottom feeder....

The loss was as bad as people think. No, the season isnt over, but dont try to polish that turd yesterday. It was dreadful.

This is a bad loss. Period. Iowa was as hot as pretty much any team in the conference, and laid an egg against the 13th seed out of 14 in the tournament, probably dooming itself to that dreaded 8/9 line.

Let's not poo poo every bad loss. The team really dropped the ball today.

Thanks for your thoughtful, sensible perspective. This and the Jarryd Cole tweet should be required reading for everyone here.

Nice to be reminded that this fan base isn't 100% infected with unbridled, irrational negativity and prone to overreaction. More like 94.3%

Beat PSU and Iowa is a 7 seed. If that loss yesterday drops Iowa to an 8, and I think it will, then that make the loss to PSU a horrendous loss and there's no other way to say it.

Originally posted by St_Henry_Buckeye:
Whoa put the bottle down guy lol.
Originally posted by HawkVic:

0-2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT