ADVERTISEMENT

Will Jan Jenson ever leave for a HC job?

mpfeiler

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2006
Jan Jenson is an incredible coach. She has been with Lisa Bluder a long time. She has likely been has to be a head coach before. Would she leave for her own gig? Is she hoping to take the Iowa job when Lisa B decides she has had enough? I want her to stay! Also I hope the coaching staff all get big pay raises!

I think the opportunities would have been there before for her if she wanted to. It’s obvious how much Lisa means to her. She has a rewarding and healthy work life balance at Iowa by all accounts and recognizes that’s not always the case in other places. I could see her becoming a head coach here or elsewhere when Bluder decides to retire though.

I wonder if this is a Phil Parker situation with Jan where she’s happy not being the top person on a staff. Will be interesting when Bluder retires. Do we consider handing the keys to the longtime assistant and associate head coach? Or go after someone with connections to Iowa like Jenny B that is proving her ability in the Big 12? I wouldn’t be surprised if Jenny would keep Jan on staff if that went down.

I wonder if this is a Phil Parker situation with Jan where she’s happy not being the top person on a staff. Will be interesting when Bluder retires. Do we consider handing the keys to the longtime assistant and associate head coach? Or go after someone with connections to Iowa like Jenny B that is proving her ability in the Big 12? I wouldn’t be surprised if Jenny would keep Jan on staff if that went down.
That would be an awesome situation for Iowa wbb to be in some day. It could further stabilize the program and help us remain a top tier program in wbb for a long time.

Her spouse has a successful business here, and they have two kids going to school.
As I recall one of their kids has serious health issues, and having UI health insurance and access to UIHC is a perk. Not sure if the health issues are still an ongoing issue.

Who do you guys think will take over for Bluder?

Depends if Lisa retires soon, which I doubt, and who the AD is. If it is soon, I could see handing the reins to Jensen. 5 years out, nobody we are currently talking about, or have really heard of

Jan Jenson is an incredible coach. She has been with Lisa Bluder a long time. She has likely been has to be a head coach before. Would she leave for her own gig? Is she hoping to take the Iowa job when Lisa B decides she has had enough? I want her to stay! Also I hope the coaching staff all get big pay raises!
I know bluder got a pretty decent raise recently. Shes making over 200k more then she was last year or the year before.
I would think Jensen could get a raise considering she’s making 200+k a year

When Lisa went to Iowa almost everyone thought Jensen would stay and take over at Drake. Didn't happen, for whatever reason.

Saw some interviews and the staff truly does seem like they aren’t just a staff but very very close friends. It’s been mentioned by Lisa before that Jan has had many chances to get her own program but I think they are all happy where they are in life and career. I think the kids see that as well and they are truly a family-like group.

When Lisa went to Iowa almost everyone thought Jensen would stay and take over at Drake. Didn't happen, for whatever reason.
I'm going to guess at this point she's here for as long as Bluder is here. Being a star player at Drake and then not even applying for the position ( could be wrong) with all of her experience tells me she's not going anywhere. Drake has a pretty solid tradition so I'm guessing she's just happy here as others have said.

I think I read that she was offered the Drake job but decided to go to Iowa with Lisa.

Everybody does what they do for a reason.
When I was growing up, I watched a lot of D-3 football and the local team had a really good coach...one of the most successful college coaches in the US. The guy was from another state and had opportunities to return "home" and coach at the D-1 level (B10 school) but he never left my hometown until he retired. He liked it there....he found his niche. As strange as it may seem, many folks like what they do and love the day to day challenges of their current life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT