ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder deserves more pay than Fran.

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
With what she has accomplished, she deserves to make as much if not more money as FM. She has done something rarely seen in women's basketball, put butts in the seats and sell out stadiums across the country. I understand that CC has a lot to do with this, but LB has been solid as Iowa's coach.

BG- do your job and bump her pay, big time.

Lisa is paid as a top-10 coach in the sport at #8 overall. I'd agree, I think she deserves a raise and should be paid as a top-5 coach.

Just as an FYI, Fran is paid as the 13th highest paid coach in Big Ten MBB after Pikiell and Collins got raises last year and Penn State hired a new coach. When the 4 west coast teams join the conference, Fran will be 17th out of 18. Only Ben Johnson makes less per year than Fran does.

With what she has accomplished, she deserves to make as much if not more money as FM. She has done something rarely seen in women's basketball, put butts in the seats and sell out stadiums across the country. I understand that CC has a lot to do with this, but LB has been solid as Iowa's coach.

Because she got lucky that an in state player has developed to the level that she has?
As much as Fran frustrates me as a coach, I’m sure his team would do alright with a point guard that sets a new ncaa scoring record and also dishes out as many assists as she does.

before Clark came along I kinda feel like bluder was very similar to Fran. Middle of the road type coach who’s had some players have success but never really had much success as a team.

Because she got lucky that an in state player has developed to the level that she has?
As much as Fran frustrates me as a coach, I’m sure his team would do alright with a point guard that sets a new ncaa scoring record and also dishes out as many assists as she does.

before Clark came along I kinda feel like bluder was very similar to Fran. Middle of the road type coach who’s had some players have success but never really had much success as a team.
To bold: He probably would not play PG or allowed to have a freedom under McCaffery IMO.

Bluder’s team has generated wayyyy more profit the last two seasons than Fran’s. Locally and nationally.
Got numbers for that? In this case I don't think ticket numbers were as profitable as everyone would assume. I believe season tickets flew off the shelf at dirt cheap prices with no seat contributions on most. I think the money was mostly made by resellers. But I certainly could be wrong. But that's an administration fault anyways for not getting in front of it. Also with shared TV money throughout the conference I doubt it matters much in the end that Iowa has the lions share of viewership.

Bluder has certainly accomplished more, but I don't think it's a given that women's was hugely profitable vs the men outside of concessions and merchandise. And unless another Caitlin Clark comes along this peak interest isn't sustainable.

But again, bluder is certainly worthy of high praise. She had a good run of player of the year candidates and actually had a couple tournament runs, one to the championship game. McCaffrey ultimately did jack shit with national player of the year candidates and NBA draft picks.

Yeah I’m sure we’ll just fall off a cliff😂 especially if there’s another deep tourney run. I’m sure all the eye balls will flock back to our NIT caliber men’s team 😂

So in prior years did the men generate more profit when they went to the NIT/ early NCAA vs the women who may have advanced further?

Reactions: blhawk
So in prior years did the men generate more profit when they went to the NIT/ early NCAA vs the women who may have advanced further?
In prior years women’s NCAA wasn’t even fully televised. Now the sport itself is more popular than men’s basketball in terms of TV ratings (mostly because of Iowa) and had 12 million viewers for the championship game.

NCAAW bball tournament is up for contract negotiations next year and you can bet your ass will sell tv rights for tens of millions of dollars more because of CC and LB.

This will be the first time in history that N.C.A.A. WBB championship is sold separately from the other women’s sports because of its skyrocketing value. Again mostly because of CC, LB and the rest of the Hawkeye WBB team

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
In prior years women’s NCAA wasn’t even fully televised. Now the sport itself is more popular than men’s basketball in terms of TV ratings (mostly because of Iowa) and had 12 million viewers for the championship game.

NCAAW bball tournament is up for contract negotiations next year and you can bet your ass will sell tv rights for tens of millions of dollars more because of CC and LB.

This will be the first time in history that N.C.A.A. WBB championship is sold separately from the other women’s sports because of its skyrocketing value. Again mostly because of CC, LB and the rest of the Hawkeye WBB team

It'll be an interesting TV contract negotiation. Their will be the argument that CC is gone and the value will drop. (It absolutely will). Just a question of how much of a drop.

It can easily be argued that there can be long term staying power for interest in Women's college bball.

And that money gets split. It's not like Iowa is getting a bigger piece of the TV revenue because of CC

Bluder’s team has generated wayyyy more profit the last two seasons than Fran’s. Locally and nationally.

I love Lisa but I’d bet this is not true if we can see the numbers. I’d also bet the numbers will fall off next year and even more so for each of the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to watch and see what happens.

Sure has, after 24 years and oddly enough, lots of people complaining about her in years gone by….

Hard to make this shit up isn’t it Rags….@RagnarLothBrok

It’s bad take day in here at Go Iowa Awesome. It’s important all its haters are here & in on it…..

Bluder Sweet 16 appearances versus Fran Sweet 16 appearances.

You can even deduct the years with Clark if it makes you feel better.

Edit: I'm not saying she deserves more money or whatever...just addressing "accomplishments".

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkGem11
And that money gets split. It's not like Iowa is getting a bigger piece of the TV revenue because of CC
Very true. But Lisa is a huge part in bringing all of that value to the sport. The drop off after CC leaves will be interesting to see. Talking to other Iowa fans at the tourney this weekend, I don’t think it will be as big as people think

Reactions: Mohawkeye

⬆️ ….this. That’s how stupid, the typical (not average, I mean most) fans are. The see only the tiniest of info and then run off with their latest hot take…

So shortsighted and unaware of anything not right in their face….its gross actually.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Got numbers for that? In this case I don't think ticket numbers were as profitable as everyone would assume. I believe season tickets flew off the shelf at dirt cheap prices with no seat contributions on most. I think the money was mostly made by resellers. But I certainly could be wrong. But that's an administration fault anyways for not getting in front of it. Also with shared TV money throughout the conference I doubt it matters much in the end that Iowa has the lions share of viewership.
I do. And he’s incorrect, at least in regards to last season being more profitable for the women. Pretty spot on for most on this site though. He’s only off by about $8,000,000 plus.

In 2022-23:

Iowa Men made $4.3 million net profit. 26th overall (10th in the B1G).

Iowa women lost $4.4 million. Yes, it cost the U of Iowa $4.4 million to operate the women’s basketball program. That’s 71st overall (5th in the B1G). Much like the WNBA, only three NCAA women’s teams turned a profit. One of those teams were plus $1. No women’s team made more than $150,000.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Last edited:
Will there be a drop off in attendance next year? Probably. Will it go back to pre-Caitlin mania levels of attendance? I don't think so. I watched a bit of the USC-Stanford game and the LSU-SC game and both arenas appeared to be near capacity. She has elevated the status of the women's game, and people have discovered that the women play some fun to watch basketball. I am no expert, but it seems like this has been going on for a while, but the general public wasn't aware of it/watching it. It took Caitlin to raise the awareness and perception. As a result, I think people will continue to watch. My only advice - just keep playing good basketball and don't become distracted by other things.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Will there be a drop off in attendance next year? Probably. Will it go back to pre-Caitlin mania levels of attendance? I don't think so. I watched a bit of the USC-Stanford game and the LSU-SC game and both arenas appeared to be near capacity. She has elevated the status of the women's game, and people have discovered that the women play some fun to watch basketball. I am no expert, but it seems like this has been going on for a while, but the general public wasn't aware of it/watching it. It took Caitlin to raise the awareness and perception. As a result, I think people will continue to watch. My only advice - just keep playing good basketball and don't become distracted by other things.

Like pulling each others hair and getting in to brawls?

Reactions: cmhawks99

The problem with men's Bball is really good players leaving early.

Can college women leave early for the Wnba?

I do. And he’s incorrect, at least in regards to last season being profitable anyway about the women making more money. Pretty spot on for most on this site though.

In 2022-23:

Iowa Men made $4.3 million net profit. 26th overall (10th in the B1G).

Iowa women lost $4.4 million. Yes, it cost the U of Iowa $4.4 million. That’s 71st overall (5th in the B1G). Much like the WNBA, only three NCAA women’s teams turned a profit. One of those teams were plus $1. No women’s team made more than $150,000.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Good points.

But it really depends on how you measure things, right? All men’s teams make more than women’s teams, regardless of the coach. So Fran is starting with a huge advantage not due to his own work.

To measure and compare Bluder and Fran, you really need to look at the marginal changes in revenue that they were responsible for. Men’s attendance has fallen significantly under Fran the past few years, while the women’s numbers have increased under Bluder. You really can’t give Fran any credit for TV money, that’s going to be there no matter what. And Bluder has brought immense goodwill to the university with her success, which isn’t easily measured in $.

It’s an interesting argument on both sides. Bluder definitely should get a raise.

Good points.

But it really depends on how you measure things, right? All men’s teams make more than women’s teams, regardless of the coach. So Fran is starting with a huge advantage not due to his own work.

To measure and compare Bluder and Fran, you really need to look at the marginal changes in revenue that they were responsible for. Men’s attendance has fallen significantly under Fran the past few years, while the women’s numbers have increased under Bluder. You really can’t give Fran any credit for TV money, that’s going to be there no matter what. And Bluder has brought immense goodwill to the university with her success, which isn’t easily measured in $.

It’s an interesting argument on both sides. Bluder definitely should get a raise.

Yes, men have a huge advantage in the sporting world. That’s why his original argument was ignorant to begin with. Iowa women being “wayyyyy” more profitable than the Iowa men was his claim. That is simply not true.

Would you like to look at revenue from ticket sales?

Men’s:
2022-23 $3.5 mil
2021-22 $3.1 mil
2020-21 Covid
2019-20 $3.3 mil

Women’s:
2022-23 $1.4 mil
2021-22 $767,069
2020-21 Covid
2019-20 $366,860

If we’re being honest, you can credit Bluder for the uptick in women’s tickets sales, but we all know why ticket sales have doubled each year. We also know that’s not going to continue too. Attendance for the men may have fallen, but that’s not really shown in ticket sales.

Yes, men have a huge advantage in the sporting world. That’s why his original argument was ignorant to begin with. Iowa women being “wayyyyy” more profitable than the Iowa men was his claim. That is simply not true.

Would you like to look at revenue from ticket sales?

Men’s:
2022-23 $3.5 mil
2021-22 $3.1 mil
2020-21 Covid
2019-20 $3.3 mil

Women’s:
2022-23 $1.4 mil
2021-22 $767,069
2020-21 Covid
2019-20 $366,860

If we’re being honest, you can credit Bluder for the uptick in women’s tickets sales, but we all know why ticket sales have doubled each year. We also know that’s not going to continue too. Attendance for the men may have fallen, but that’s not really shown in ticket sales.

Recruiting is a big part of coaching. Bluder should get credit for recruiting CC and her effect on ticket sales. And I’m I. The camp that believes that they won’t drop off to where they were before CC arrived.

Reactions: herkhatescy
She wins a lot and is paid well compared to other women’s big10 coaches. Fran wins sometimes and is paid for what he does.

Reactions: ICHerky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT